Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Apr 2020, 11:45 (Ref:3973571)   #1201
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Europe, Asia, Oceania, Africa, North America, South America and Antartica.
That's one list, of which there are many.
But what defines that list?

The point being, there is no strict definition of what is a continent, and therefore anyone is free to use their own definition.

Iberia, Gaul, Britannica, Germanica and Italia. There's your five.

Question: How is Great Britain part of the continent of Europe, when it isn't in continental Europe?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 12:00 (Ref:3973576)   #1202
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Eh? That makes no sense at all. A continent is a continent. Even if we are out of the EU, we are still in Europe. That doesn’t change
Old 29 Apr 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3973587)   #1203
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Eh? That makes no sense at all. A continent is a continent. Even if we are out of the EU, we are still in Europe. That doesn’t change
Note - I said Great Britain, not the UK. The UK has left the EU - Great Britain left Continental Europe around 6500–6200 BC

As I said - what defines a continent?

Examples:

Dictionary.com
  • the mainland, as distinguished from islands or peninsulas.
  • the Continent, the mainland of Europe, as distinguished from the British Isles.

Citymetric.com
'social conventions can differ: depending on where you are in the world, there can be anywhere between four and seven continents'

The UN
Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Oceania

National Geopgraphic
Eurasia, America, Africa, Australia and Antarctica

Worldometers.info
'large, continuous, distinct masses of land'

The criteria for defining a continent can be geographical, historical, cultural, anthropological, political, or even of philosophical nature.

A follow on question - what do the five rings of the IOC represent?

In the context of this thread - if a World Championship needs to happen on multiple continents, they can be defined however is necessary.
If Australia can compete in the Eurovision song contest, and the European GP can be held in Asia, then declaring a World Champion when every race was held on Continental Europe is more than feasible
Old 29 Apr 2020, 12:36 (Ref:3973589)   #1204
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Europe, Asia, Oceania, Africa, North America, South America and Antartica.
Is Oceania a continent? I would have thought it was a geographic region, as it also includes a number of different groups of islands.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3973591)   #1205
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is Oceania a continent?
Depends on if you believe there to be 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 continents?

'some geographers use the name Oceania for a region including most of the island countries and territories in the Pacific Ocean as well as the continent of Australia.'

So it's a continent of continents?
Where does the continent of Adria fit into the models?

Old 29 Apr 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3973592)   #1206
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s another name for Australasia. It’s simple though, those seven I said are defined as continents. Why we are even having a debate on it IDK
Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3973602)   #1207
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It’s another name for Australasia. It’s simple though, those seven I said are defined as continents. Why we are even having a debate on it IDK
Australasia comprises Australia, New Zealand and a few islands. Oceania includes Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia. If we are having a debate on it, it's because you included Oceania in a list of continents, when it's a geographic region, that's all.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:16 (Ref:3973607)   #1208
S griffin
Veteran

Ah, I always though it was another name for Australasia. Now I realise it’s a region of it like the Middle East is a region of Asia. Thanks for clarification
Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3973609)   #1209
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Ah, I always though it was another name for Australasia. Now I realise it’s a region of it like the Middle East is a region of Asia. Thanks for clarification
Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3973610)   #1210
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Hockenheim are in talks about hosting a GP this year, though they weren't on the 2020 calendar.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...g-2020-f1-race
Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:32 (Ref:3973613)   #1211
S griffin
Veteran

Wonder when Imola will put it’s hand up again
Old 29 Apr 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3973616)   #1212
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why we are even having a debate on it IDK
its all we have left brother!

today is a new day though and i am agreeing crmalcolm...over time the definition and number of continents has been fluid. i might even be inclined to say it has been somewhat socioeconomic/political.

and if you want to talk inaccuracies, then lets get into a debate about the accuracy of Mercator Projection maps!

i believe the Olympic rings refer to inhabited continents with N. and S. America grouped together as the Americas and Antarctica omitted. to make it more anachronistic, black was apparently meant to represent Africa and yellow for Asia....arguably that was then and now the symbol now just represents unity.

to be honest though, if we get a season of any format this year i am going to respect it as a world championship.

my Olympic pledge will be to never call into question or give any sort of asterisk to this year's winning team and driver!

Last edited by chillibowl; 29 Apr 2020 at 14:36. Reason: spelling
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3973625)   #1213
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wonder when Imola will put it’s hand up again
Already has - made a very clear play to take the August 30th date
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3973626)   #1214
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's being debated because of the 'requirement' for an F1 World Championship to be had on a certain number of continents.
And you may say that they are defined as continents, but in reality they are not defined anywhere. They are one of many conventions that exist when answering 'what are continents?'

The seven-continent model you list from is generally taught in English-speaking countries. Ask someone studying geography in Russia, Japan or parts of Eastern Europe and they'll list six continents.
Ask the same question to someone in a Romance country and they'll probably list a different six.

Probably the closest to a transcontinental recognised body would be the UN model of five continents - Africa, Europe, Asia, America, and Australia. This is the model I recognise from childhood, and I always remember one of the characteristics being that each continent name starts and ends with the same letter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i believe the Olympic rings refer to inhabited continents with N. and S. America grouped together as the Americas and Antarctica omitted. to make it more anachronistic, black was apparently meant to represent Africa and yellow for Asia....arguably that was then and now the symbol now just represents unity.
From the Olympic Charter (2019):
'The Olympic symbol consists of five interlaced rings of equal dimensions (the Olympic rings), used alone, in one or in five different colours. When used in its five-colour version, these colours shall be, from left to right, blue, yellow, black, green and red. [...] The Olympic symbol expresses the activity of the Olympic Movement and represents the union of the five continents and the meeting of athletes from throughout the world at the Olympic Games.'

I've heard that opinion raised before regarding the colours - although I have also heard that the colours used are found on the official flag of all member nations, so every nation should have one of their colours shown when they Olympic flag flies.

If the IOC, as a sporting body, recognises the world as having five continents, then it makes sense for other global sports to follow suit. Perhaps F1 should look at the IOC and the UN, rather than arbitrary geopolitical conventions, when it comes to determining the continents?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3973628)   #1215
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
its all we have left brother!
Next we will be fighting over oceans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioI...youtu.be&t=114

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3973633)   #1216
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Next we will be fighting over oceans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioI...youtu.be&t=114

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3973634)   #1217
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
my Olympic pledge will be to never call into question or give any sort of asterisk to this year's winning team and driver!
That may be a step too far - I can very easily see this years champion having an asterisk
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3973636)   #1218
S griffin
Veteran

For goodness sake, there are seven recognised geographical continents and sport uses these, hence why you have continental tournaments, like the Euros, Africa Cup of Nations, European Touring Cars etc. The FIA once had a rule saying Indycar could only run on ovals if they raced outside of North America.

As a matter of fact the only time F1 has raced in the six major continents is 1992-93.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3973640)   #1219
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
For goodness sake, there are seven recognised geographical continents and sport uses these, hence why you have continental tournaments, like the Euros, Africa Cup of Nations, European Touring Cars etc. The FIA once had a rule saying Indycar could only run on ovals if they raced outside of North America.

As a matter of fact the only time F1 has raced in the six major continents is 1992-93.
And every single one of those is an arbitrary decision over what constitutes a continent.

I guess you need to inform the FIA they are wrong?

The FIA is the governing body for world motor sport and the federation of the world’s leading motoring organisations. Founded in 1904, with headquarters in Paris, the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) is a non-profit making association. It brings together 243 international motoring and sporting organisations from 146 countries on five continents. Its member clubs represent millions of motorists and their families.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:58 (Ref:3973655)   #1220
S griffin
Veteran

Do we have to start having a go at each other? Does it really matter if people have their own interpretation?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3973657)   #1221
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Do we have to start having a go at each other? Does it really matter if people have their own interpretation?
It depends on what F1's interpretation of what constitutes a world championship is?

Your posts were the ones asserting there is only one meaning of 'continent'? Now it's been demonstrated that the UN, IOC and FIA as organisations don't agree, you play the victim card?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3973662)   #1222
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That may be a step too far - I can very easily see this years champion having an asterisk
i imagine this will be debated for years to come. if LH ties Schumi's record this year many will never accept it as a legitimate title...so i look forward to that endless debate!

but for my part, i will be on the side of accepting this (potential) season as legitimate.

i may even advance the case that any title won this year by anyone in any sport is actually more legitimate/more special then previous years simply because of the backdrop of 2020...so i guess i will have to give it a special asterisks then lol!
Old 29 Apr 2020, 18:25 (Ref:3973670)   #1223
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It depends on what F1's interpretation of what constitutes a world championship is?

Your posts were the ones asserting there is only one meaning of 'continent'? Now it's been demonstrated that the UN, IOC and FIA as organisations don't agree, you play the victim card?
As we are to have it seems 2 GP's at Silverstone, apparently what surely must be the Grand Prix of Northamptonshire will count as a world championship event...or perhaps Buckinghamshire as it straddles the county border...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2020, 18:32 (Ref:3973671)   #1224
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been told there are a number of Middle East circuits looking for a date. I can't name them because I can't think of any, but I'm sure there's enough in the kitty to organise a track inspection and upgrade where needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2020, 18:33 (Ref:3973672)   #1225
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've been told there are a number of Middle East circuits looking for a date. I can't name them because I can't think of any, but I'm sure there's enough in the kitty to organise a track inspection and upgrade where needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Arabia's a continent isn't it?