Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Oct 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2553864)   #1201
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Problem is they'll now start 6th or 7th instead.
And still win by 15 seconds
Old 4 Oct 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2553933)   #1202
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
And still win by 15 seconds
Bernoldi (for DKR) and Garcia (for Corvette Racing) have to be the most impressive new Corvette drivers of this year!

DK

Last edited by dxk1; 4 Oct 2009 at 16:18. Reason: correction
Old 20 Oct 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2565842)   #1203
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting little article at CorvetteSports website about Luc Alphand and his team. Pictures show him looking pretty good and it says he's biking and hiking in order to get back in shape. He still says he's not completely recovered from his motor-cycle accident and isn't sure how much driving he will be able to do next year. Also, he says he has not decided on a car for next year as of early October because of the non-stability in GT1 rules. See here for the article:

http://www.corvette-motorsport.com/n...-lms-title-152

Anyway, here's hoping he goes to a GT2 Vette in LMS next year.

DK
Old 21 Oct 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2566022)   #1204
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
There are rumors he switches to the BMW GT2s
Old 21 Oct 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2566430)   #1205
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
There are rumors he switches to the BMW GT2s
Yes there are such rumors and they are reiterated in the article, but it says he hasn't made a final decision yet, so there is still hope for a Corvette in GT2. Seems to me Corvette should make an effort to bring him into the fold for 2010 as he has been pretty loyal (and successful I might add) to them over the last few years.

DK
Old 29 Dec 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2606198)   #1206
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
December 22, 2009
Some interesting comments by Doug Fehan on the official Corvette Racing PR site

Q: What is the status of the GT-spec Corvette customer car program for 2010?

Fehan: "We currently have two customer cars under construction, but we don't yet have confirmed buyers for them. There has been tremendous interest in the GT-spec Corvette C6.Rs, and we think with continued improvement in the global economy, the interested parties will be able to make a commitment. We'd be delighted to see more Corvettes racing in the ALMS or overseas."

Q: While there will be a single GT class in the ALMS in 2010, GT1 will continue in the FIA series and at Le Mans. What's your perspective on the two classes?

Fehan: "A year ago, there was general agreement regarding a unified GT class, which we will see in the ALMS in 2010. The intention at that time was to base the FIA GT1 class on GT cars, with limited modifications to the engine and aerodynamics. Since then, however, Europe has encountered the same economic issues that we have faced in the U.S., and many members of the racing community understandably wish to retain their current cars for financial reasons. Consequently some of the older GT1 cars will now be converted to the new regulations, including several privately owned Corvette C6.Rs, and the ACO has invited these cars to participate at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As the economic climate improves, I hope that the decision makers will recognize the benefits of running one GT class at Le Mans and other venues."

Translation on the second answer, "We sure don't like the idea of getting beat by private GT1 Corvettes at LeMans."

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 29 Dec 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2606216)   #1207
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at P&M about a week ago and saw 5 cars in various states of build. 2 were last years' cars, 1 is to be a display chassis, and the other 2 are customer cars. At the time I suspected we'd have 2 customer cars on the grid in Europe, but it appears as if they don't have homes yet.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2606265)   #1208
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
I was at P&M about a week ago and saw 5 cars in various states of build. 2 were last years' cars, 1 is to be a display chassis, and the other 2 are customer cars. At the time I suspected we'd have 2 customer cars on the grid in Europe, but it appears as if they don't have homes yet.
1 (or both) for DKR and 1 (or both) for LAA? May be someone new?
Old 30 Dec 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2606278)   #1209
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm assuming they are building 2 new GT1 spec cars, that have the modifications for the new GT1 regs? What about their GT2 cars, they will run the same 2 chassies in ALMS next season as they ran last season, and no customer GT2 cars?
Old 30 Dec 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2606289)   #1210
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
I'm assuming they are building 2 new GT1 spec cars, that have the modifications for the new GT1 regs? What about their GT2 cars, they will run the same 2 chassies in ALMS next season as they ran last season, and no customer GT2 cars?
No, they're all GT2 cars. 2 team cars, 1 show car, and 2 customer cars (to which there doesn't appear to be an owner yet). No new GT1 cars will be made, there are plenty of available cars out there should people want to run them in GT1. And from what I've heard, P&M acted as a sort of "consultant" on upgrading the cars to the new GT1 spec, but aren't actually doing the work themselves. Who knows whether the factory will run the 2 new cars or the same ones as last year, I doubt we'll know til the week of Sebring.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2606291)   #1211
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
1 (or both) for DKR and 1 (or both) for LAA? May be someone new?
DKR is rumored to be running GT1 cars in the FIA GT1 World Championship and LAA is rumored to be leaving GM for something German (although may still run the Corvette at Le Mans)
Old 30 Dec 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2606359)   #1212
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
DKR is rumored to be running GT1 cars in the FIA GT1 World Championship and LAA is rumored to be leaving GM for something German (although may still run the Corvette at Le Mans)

Don't think leaving GM would be a wise move for LAA. After all, LAA were (and could potentially be) the only team running GM hardware in the LMS.

I have no doubt the Bavarians (I'm guessing that's the 'something German' you speak of) can provide a decent support package, but ultimately they're going to play second fiddle to Schnitzer.
Whereas with GM...
Old 30 Dec 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2606365)   #1213
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Don't think leaving GM would be a wise move for LAA. After all, LAA were (and could potentially be) the only team running GM hardware in the LMS.

I have no doubt the Bavarians (I'm guessing that's the 'something German' you speak of) can provide a decent support package, but ultimately they're going to play second fiddle to Schnitzer.
Whereas with GM...
I guess money is an important part of their considerations as well. And while the BMW is suppossed to be wickedly expensive for a GT2-car, the Corvette is said to be even worse...
Old 30 Dec 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2606435)   #1214
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with that, at $700,000 plus $200,000 for spares that is a lot of money and other manufacturers are willing to haggle I hear
Old 30 Dec 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2606461)   #1215
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post

Whereas with GM...
LAA has said they don't want to run a car in which they compete against the team that produced their car. If they wanted to win Le Mans they'd always have to be competing against Corvette Racing and that makes success very difficult. I think this statement was made before the ACO announced that the FIA GT1 cars could run in the LMS/Le Mans though, so perhaps they might stay with Corvette in GT1. Strong rumor led to them interested in BMW though.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 02:36 (Ref:2606639)   #1216
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I guess money is an important part of their considerations as well. And while the BMW is suppossed to be wickedly expensive for a GT2-car, the Corvette is said to be even worse...
How does the GT2 E92 compare to the 997 GT3-RS or the F430 in terms of price, have they even disclosed a planned price yet?
Old 31 Dec 2009, 08:47 (Ref:2606679)   #1217
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Just hearsay to the n-th degree from a VLN-themed forum, but from what I've read, the figure on the price tag starts with a "five"... (in €!!)
I don't know what would be included in that price and how much you'd have to shell out for a spares package.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2606790)   #1218
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So in other words, those newer GT2 cars costs the same as a new generation GT1 car, how nice.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2606814)   #1219
Speed-King
Veteran

Considering the lower running costs of the new GT1 cars, these might be even cheaper to run in the long term.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2607166)   #1220
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I´m not surprised that the BMW will be kind of costly, they´ve introduced quite a few technology tweaks with this car.

It's always the same, if a manufacturer enters a class that is dominated by other strong works outfits (in this case Ferrari and Porsche), they´re forced to step up their game to make an impact.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2607296)   #1221
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Persuading a top team to switch to a new car when they have been winning with the present marque must be difficult and making the new car a lot more expensive than the incumbent is not the way to do it IMO. This is especially true when there is a strong works team that you will struggle to beat.

You would think BMW, given what they save from not doing F1 would be in a position to "help" teams pick up their product. Pratt & Miller on the other hand have to stand alone but I still think they will struggle to get teams to buy those 2 cars unless they reduce the price from the one I have been told.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2608586)   #1222
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
I was just looking at the Corvette Racing web-site and they have a table of their racing schedule for 2010. They list Le Mans as one of their events. Now I'm assuming they will not accept their automatic entry for GT1 so I'm guessing they assume they will get their GT2 applications accepted. See here:

http://www.corvetteracing.com/

Just wondering, do we think they will get 2 entries accepted or just one?

DK
Old 5 Jan 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2608603)   #1223
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I was just looking at the Corvette Racing web-site and they have a table of their racing schedule for 2010. They list Le Mans as one of their events. Now I'm assuming they will not accept their automatic entry for GT1 so I'm guessing they assume they will get their GT2 applications accepted. See here:

http://www.corvetteracing.com/

Just wondering, do we think they will get 2 entries accepted or just one?

DK
I'm sure a team with the experience and throw of P&M/CR will get two entries as they've always had.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2621118)   #1224
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So with Fässler named to the Audi R15+ 'werks' roster for Le Mans, I wonder what that does to Corvette's line-up? I would not think that they would keep him, if he is not available for Le Mans!

L.P.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2621138)   #1225
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
So with Fässler named to the Audi R15+ 'werks' roster for Le Mans, I wonder what that does to Corvette's line-up? I would not think that they would keep him, if he is not available for Le Mans!

L.P.
Remember he drove for Audi before - maybe he was under a temporary release to Corvette or Audi still had an option on him???