Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Jan 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2381023)   #1201
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh
Weight distribution is better with a lower engine, for sure.
Plus it gives Nick more latitude for aero, especially with the smaller rear wing.

L.P.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2381079)   #1202
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It lowers the center of gravity, but really has nothing to do with weight distribution. And why do people continue to think that they can look at an external photo of an engine and be able to tell that it's based on this engine or that engine?
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2381081)   #1203
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
And what engine deficeit is that?

L.P.

Sorry, at work earlier and not much time to spend, but I can pull up the old toadstool and sit a spell now.

So, in the context of the car having started development two years ago, during the reign of the Audi R10, you would not perceive an engine deficit in the Acura? Please explain why, I am very interested to know.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2381083)   #1204
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are not the new LMP1 regs planned for a max engine of 4L? Maybe Acura/Honda are thinking ahead and are gonna keep this unit until after the rule change? I could be way off - I'm nowhere near as hardcore as most of you here.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:39 (Ref:2381092)   #1205
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Sorry, at work earlier and not much time to spend, but I can pull up the old toadstool and sit a spell now.

So, in the context of the car having started development two years ago, during the reign of the Audi R10, you would not perceive an engine deficit in the Acura? Please explain why, I am very interested to know.
So in the same light: Audi designed a car, the R-15, with an engine deficit also??

L.P.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:49 (Ref:2381097)   #1206
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo
Are not the new LMP1 regs planned for a max engine of 4L? Maybe Acura/Honda are thinking ahead and are gonna keep this unit until after the rule change? I could be way off - I'm nowhere near as hardcore as most of you here.
No, 3.4L NA and 3.7L diesel for P-1 in 2011.

L.P.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:54 (Ref:2381098)   #1207
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Indeed, I see what you are saying, that Acura knew what Audi was going to do so came up with something equivalent, and came up with a 900 kilo 4.0 litre normally aspirated gasoline car in order to deal with (somewhat unknown by some of us smaller capacity diesel from Audi), in a game of nimble one-ups-manship?

Now, I am not as in tune, but doesn't a smaller capacity turbo diesel still have a torque advantage over a smaller capacity normally aspirated gasoline engine?
Old 28 Jan 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2381105)   #1208
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Indeed, I see what you are saying, that Acura knew what Audi was going to do so came up with something equivalent, and came up with a 900 kilo 4.0 litre normally aspirated gasoline car in order to deal with (somewhat unknown by some of us smaller capacity diesel from Audi), in a game of nimble one-ups-manship?

Now, I am not as in tune, but doesn't a smaller capacity turbo diesel still have a torque advantage over a smaller capacity normally aspirated gasoline engine?
Apples and oranges, or two means to the same end. I do not think that either knew exactly what the other was doing or where the ACO would land exactly, but had a very good idea. That being said, I think that Acura has just expanded their 3.4L ahead of the 2011 rules to try to be competitive with the diesels and develope the chassis. After all the 3.4L gave Audi fits in the ALMS last year and with the varying adjustments to restrictors (diesel vs petrol) the 4.0L should be more competitive even with the extra weight.

L.P.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 02:33 (Ref:2381110)   #1209
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
I certainly agree that the P2 cars showed advantages in speed with their 'nimbleness,' that was an advantage, but their fuel use and pit stop stratagies also put them on different races then the Audis, and often that put them in a position of being ahead. The 4 litre engine of the Acura however starts to put them in between the two stratagies (last year's P1 vs. P2) on fuel runs. I am not sure that is an advantage, is it? Moot anyway, since the R15 apparently only comes to Sebring, and the Acura doesn't go to France.

The nimble factor is part of the equation as evidenced by Audi going that route when presented with the Peugeot's peformance. I guess it will all become clearer in mid-March when the Audi, Acura and Peugeot are on track at Sebring.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 03:21 (Ref:2381129)   #1210
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I certainly agree that the P2 cars showed advantages in speed with their 'nimbleness,' that was an advantage, but their fuel use and pit stop stratagies also put them on different races then the Audis, and often that put them in a position of being ahead. The 4 litre engine of the Acura however starts to put them in between the two stratagies (last year's P1 vs. P2) on fuel runs. I am not sure that is an advantage, is it? Moot anyway, since the R15 apparently only comes to Sebring, and the Acura doesn't go to France.

The nimble factor is part of the equation as evidenced by Audi going that route when presented with the Peugeot's peformance. I guess it will all become clearer in mid-March when the Audi, Acura and Peugeot are on track at Sebring.
The P2 used less fuel than the R10 because they had to haul a lot less weight and were able to be as quick with quite a bit less horsepower. The P1 Acura will weigh the same, and make the same power as the R15.

It's harder to tell the pace of the Acura. So far their best time is 1:44.8. Slower than what P1s did last year, but it's unknown what the 908 and R15 can do with the new aero/diesel restrictors.

Last edited by chewymonster; 28 Jan 2009 at 03:23.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 06:07 (Ref:2381180)   #1211
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster
...and make the same power as the R15.

Not likely m8.

4.0: Probably just the best ballance of power, consumption and drivability.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2381182)   #1212
Lazy
Rookie

Germany
Lazy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel
I don't think HPD would go to battle with an underpowered car. Note that the figures from Acura say 620 PLUS horsepower. That sounds ridiculously low.
Isn't this "plus" self-evident, since it is so called official figure.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2381647)   #1213
flyingsquirrel
Rookie

flyingsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is another element to the design which may have been missed. The head of HPD said yesterday on the ALMS web site that the aero and the use of rear tires on the front of the car were designed to allow the Acura to run much softer tires than the competition and to be able to double or triple stint them with the idea of saving significant time on pit stops. Perhaps tire changes would be limited to driver changes?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 00:57 (Ref:2381790)   #1214
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel
There is another element to the design which may have been missed. The head of HPD said yesterday on the ALMS web site that the aero and the use of rear tires on the front of the car were designed to allow the Acura to run much softer tires than the competition and to be able to double or triple stint them with the idea of saving significant time on pit stops. Perhaps tire changes would be limited to driver changes?
I don't think that would happen. I just think they're referring to the fact that they won't have to change tires as much as the competition.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2381953)   #1215
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Sports-carracing.net reported on a detailed technology of ACURA ARX-02a.
The size of a front tire of ARX-02a is equal to a rear tire.
This was not to have seen in the current prototype car.
ARX-02a has the power steering of the oil pressure type (Audi and Dome have an electric power steering).
This is because the weight put on a front tire is so large.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2381974)   #1216
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai
Sports-carracing.net reported on a detailed technology of ACURA ARX-02a.
The size of a front tire of ARX-02a is equal to a rear tire.
This was not to have seen in the current prototype car.
ARX-02a has the power steering of the oil pressure type (Audi and Dome have an electric power steering).
This is because the weight put on a front tire is so large.
A weird choice with the power steering. An electric type, doesn't weight very much, but an oil pressure do!.
The Acura is a very very special car!
Old 29 Jan 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2381985)   #1217
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The hydraulic powersteering tends to give a lot more feel with the frontwheels, the eletric often feel numb.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2382000)   #1218
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Brabs was complaining of too much grip at the front end !!!

Question ..... is there such a thing as too much grip ?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2382009)   #1219
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have too much front grip, it affects the overall balance of the car. Making the rear loose, in tight corners.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2382020)   #1220
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Dome S102 applies a big load to a front tire by adjusting the engine mount to the front side.
Nevertheless, a front tire of S102 is smaller than a rear tire.

I think that the weight balance of ARX-02a is equivalent good.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2382066)   #1221
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
If you have too much front grip, it affects the overall balance of the car. Making the rear loose, in tight corners.
But isn't bad balance caused by not enough grip in rear, not because too much grip in front? And isn't "too much grip" in general just another word for lack of power.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2382100)   #1222
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
But isn't bad balance caused by not enough grip in rear, not because too much grip in front? And isn't "too much grip" in general just another word for lack of power.
To much grip in one place can be compared to an uneven weight balance. So yes to much grip in the front can mean to little in the rear, but it's going to be hard to make the Acura evenly balanced with grip (without removing front end grip) , because of the new rear wing, and the risk of losing to much speed!
Old 29 Jan 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2382154)   #1223
Kiki
Rookie

Kiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering about that... those front tires are MASSIVE! That combined with the high downforce front end and smaller rear wing are sure to affect handling balance.

No, too much grip on the front end doesn't mean not enough power. I wonder if they'll have to take a set of dive planes off?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2382246)   #1224
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Dont know why i didn't noticed this before, but just came to think of it!
The Acura Lmp1 reminds a lot of the Embassy from last year!
Old 29 Jan 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2382254)   #1225
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It does, doesn't it?

The only thing I'm slightly disappointed about is that they didn't keep the LMP2's taillights