Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 2 Feb 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1831706)   #101
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's possible I may do a race, but seeing as we have one car between the two of us, there will be a fight I think!

Be good to race on the Stowe circuit as currently have 0 experience of circuit racing and want to do as much as possible, and think the initiative above sounds good. Car might not be competitive against what else is eligible (and don't know I shall do...!) but sounds like it should be enjoyable.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 10:51 (Ref:1831724)   #102
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sounds great!!

Have been thinking about single seater racing for a while now! this could be the perfect start!! Mono/BarcFR/F4 etc etc.

Ok guys/girls what would be an ideal starter car? FR or old F3 car? or maybe a FVL?

I'd like an older carbon tub F3 car BUT would that be to fast?

I race gearbox karts at the moment so want something quick with good handling.

Thanks

Andy
Old 2 Feb 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1832090)   #103
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze

Be good to race on the Stowe circuit .
Stowe circuit doesn't give you any kind of feel for a proper circuit - there are no edges (I used to instruct on it so know of what I speak I think) so just take the plunge - if you have done ARDS then fine, if you haven't then tell your instructor what you plan and let them give you help

Look forward to meeting you!
Old 2 Feb 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1832154)   #104
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually, I thought maybe that could be a good thing I hope to do first race on Silverstone National circuit...

ARDS - coming up in May at Mallory I hope. Looking forward to meeting you too!
Old 3 Feb 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1832478)   #105
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Actually, I thought maybe that could be a good thing I hope to do first race on Silverstone National circuit...

ARDS - coming up in May at Mallory I hope. Looking forward to meeting you too!
The CSCC has a track/test day at Mallory on Tues 27th March - if you would llike some tuition we will have instructors there who would be doing your Ards as well. The booking form is on the website (although we don;t plan to have single-seater sessions as yet, but you could get to know the circuit). I am also ARDS and my first 5 years instructing was based at Mallory.. if you can come along that would be good!
www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk
Old 4 Feb 2007, 09:06 (Ref:1833082)   #106
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mrsweety, have a look at the seperate thread about "another newbie wanting advice about single seaters", it may answer some of your questions.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1833179)   #107
Andy Woolley
Rookie

Andy Woolley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Response to Mr Sweety.

In 2004/5 I raced a Mk1 Formaula Vauxhall Lotus (FVL) in SEMSEC & F4 and last year raced a Reynard 903 F3 (carbon tub) in Monoposto & SEMSEC. The 903 has the same Vauxhall XE engine as the FVL but it was only towards the end of last year that we were any quicker than in the FVL - so don't worry about F3's being too fast.

In my view there is quite a bit of work to do to get an F3 car to go well at the 40mm ride height, which is an MSA requirement for all racing cars other than those running to exempted formulae (F1, GP2, F3, FR etc) . F3 cars are designed to run as close to the ground as possible to get maximum downforce from the flat bottom, which is raked (lower at the front). They run stiff springs with lots off preload to minimise pitch changes. You lose a lot of this downforce when you raise the car to 40mm and it is then less important to control pitch so precisely. You also need to try and compensate for the loss of downforce by optimising the mechanical grip so you're faced with trying softer springs, reduced spring preload etc. (maybe more like a wet set up for an F3?). Trouble is that you're in the dark and on your own in devloping the car and with limited time and finances for testing, as well as limited driving ability, so you may never find the optimum set-up. makes an interesting challenge though.

With the FVL things are much more straightforward as the cars were designed to run at 40mm and there's a more limited range of chassis adjustability. There are lots of them about and lost of spares too. The only thing I would say is that the alloy sandwich planks, which make up the main part of the chassis, do get tired and that makes the car less and less stiff, so you'd need to consider changing them to get the most out of the car - if you can find any new ones. A carbon monocoque stays stiff for longer but they are dodgy/hard to repair and some folk have concerns about their structural integrity reducing with age. That's probably a particular issue when the carbon skins have an alloy honeycomb glued between them. The alloy can easily corrode if any moisture gets into the voids and the bonding can also lose it's strength. Apparently, tapping the outer skin with a coin and listening to the sound gives a good clue to the condition of the bonding (a bit like tapping the rendering on a house to see if it has blown).
Old 4 Feb 2007, 15:39 (Ref:1833243)   #108
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench
The CSCC has a track/test day at Mallory on Tues 27th March - if you would llike some tuition we will have instructors there who would be doing your Ards as well. The booking form is on the website (although we don;t plan to have single-seater sessions as yet, but you could get to know the circuit). I am also ARDS and my first 5 years instructing was based at Mallory.. if you can come along that would be good!
www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk
Thanks Sarah, possibly see you there then! Will be in touch.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1835284)   #109
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger just booked tickets for a stag weekend....any more additional dates likely?

Will do the Silverstone round

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench
“MotorsportAds.co.uk FORMULAFree”first round brought forward to Brands Hatch on Saturday 5th May 2007

There has been such an enthusiastic response to the FormulaFree press release two weeks ago that the Classic Sports Car Club has decided to bring the launch of the brand new Single Seater Series forward to their race weekend on May bank Holiday.

“We are expecting a good grid of these under-2-litre single seaters for their first race in May” said Series Co-ordinator Adrian Mossop.

“The low membership and race entry fees are proving a hit with potential drivers, and the huge number of cheap cars available on our Sponsor’s website are starting to be snapped up by potential competitors.”

The Series will also have rounds at Anglesey (Double Header), Mallory Park, Cadwell Park (Double Header) and Silverstone National.

ENDS

Contact: richard@classicsportscarclub.co.uk - Richard Culverhouse on 08700 427108
Or Adrian@classicsportscarclub.co.uk

Last edited by Triple J Motorsport; 7 Feb 2007 at 10:22.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 16 Feb 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1842948)   #110
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have started to read the tread became depressed by page 4 when the anoraks started waffling abiout ride height crap so i jumped to the end page
as far as i am concerned the club have initiated a free for race series aka Libre racing so basically its best that you all shut up about rules go prep your cars and enter theraces
I will be running 1 of my cars it may be the GE f2 car of flat floor F3 car maybe the Frenauult i have for sale at £5k perhaps my FFord 1600 there is also the chance i may have the F3 car ready to run or teh F3 monospec car on top of this i may spend my spare hours fittinga 2 itre motor to my F300 car just to get a run in the damn thing
either way i will be running 1 car may even rent another out
i will set my car up ride height wise as i feel is required to get teh optimum benefit for the cars perfomance not some ponce with a rule book and a wooden block
If i win the 1 race hands down i will start from the pit lane in race 2 just for the fun of it

I look forward to seeing a range of different cars racing all squabbling with someone else to dice with
THATS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT FUN!!!
well done CSCC
maybe you want to ask SEMSEC for a race they have 4 lydden libre races and 2 at brands

A full list of the SEMSEC dates for 2007 are:
14th April 07 Lydden SEMSEC
5/6 May 07 Brands Hatch (SEMSEC Challenges featuring in the Classic Sports Car Club meeting)
2nd June 07 Lydden SEMSEC
14th & 15th July 07 Lydden SEMSEC
8th September 07 Brands Hatch SEMSEC
29th September 07 Lydden SEMSEC
27th October 07 Lydden SEMSEC
Old 16 Feb 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1842968)   #111
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Thank you Driftwood - that says it all I think!
Old 16 Feb 2007, 13:44 (Ref:1843142)   #112
Arty B
Racer

England
England
Arty B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Will you enter the Stowe races on 17th March Andy. I've got those tyres for you.
John.

Forgive me but perhaps I should be paying more attention! Which club is running at Stowe Circuit on March 17th.

AB.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 14:03 (Ref:1843157)   #113
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ctrc?
Old 16 Feb 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1843203)   #114
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty B
John.

Forgive me but perhaps I should be paying more attention! Which club is running at Stowe Circuit on March 17th.

AB.
Classic Touring Car Racing Club . contact:

peter.edwards@classictouringcars.com

£110(ish) for practice and 2 single seater races.

A combination of F Free & the Stowe races would make a great low cost intro to single seater racing & when you decide that you like it you can join Monoposto as well and race at Spa.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1850157)   #115
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sarah - CSCC - Wll you allow Clubmans formula cars to enter ?, after all they are as quick as many single seaters, slicks and wings etc. Various engine sizes depending on which class they race in.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 23:44 (Ref:1850206)   #116
driftwood
Veteran

technically they are not single seaters
clubmans have their own classic series
can i run my BTCC car then its as fast as a single seater
can i run my Group 6 sports car they are also as fast as single seaters
Old 24 Feb 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1850391)   #117
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggispeed
Sarah - CSCC - Wll you allow Clubmans formula cars to enter ?, after all they are as quick as many single seaters, slicks and wings etc. Various engine sizes depending on which class they race in.
Its an interesting question as the BARC-SEC allowed Clubmans Class cars to enter their Single Seater series. I understand Driftwood's point but in some respects they are more akin to single seaters than sportscars and front engined Mallocks have previously entered F Ford and F Ford 2000, I think (albeit with appropriate body work changes). The invitation class pehaps??
Old 24 Feb 2007, 09:41 (Ref:1850397)   #118
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
front engined Mallocks have previously entered F Ford and F Ford 2000, I think (albeit with appropriate body work changes). The invitation class pehaps??
Mallock built cars to several single-seater Fomulae, among them FF & F3. I don't know just how different from the Mallock sport cars they were.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1851803)   #119
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
point taken Driftwood, of course many formulae are as quick as others regardless of if they have a roof ;-). Clubmans are technically Sports Racing Cars. As Andy says BARC-SE allow Clubmans cars, although I don't think they've had many, I've done one race with them. Clubmans have run as FF formula and the body changes are simply no wings and no mudguards. Dave - the Mallocks you have seen run in FF are no different to any other Mallock U2, as long as the engine and tyres comply with FF regs they are fine.
Anyway point of the enquiry was just to find out as it may help boost grids by another one or two cars on occasion.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1851830)   #120
driftwood
Veteran

I tak eyr point i was beaing faciticous
we have clubmans running at Lydden in libre he has cycle wings so he remove sthem and runs but the series its titles open wheel single setar series so it gets around the problem
single seaters are deemed to be centre seaters but nowtis said in rule book about open wheel sports cars
its where do u draw the line
technically there are heaps of centre seat cars to race ina libre event usual problem is people geting the car done
Old 26 Feb 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1851840)   #121
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggispeed
point taken Driftwood, of course many formulae are as quick as others regardless of if they have a roof ;-). Clubmans are technically Sports Racing Cars. As Andy says BARC-SE allow Clubmans cars, although I don't think they've had many, I've done one race with them. Clubmans have run as FF formula and the body changes are simply no wings and no mudguards. Dave - the Mallocks you have seen run in FF are no different to any other Mallock U2, as long as the engine and tyres comply with FF regs they are fine.
Anyway point of the enquiry was just to find out as it may help boost grids by another one or two cars on occasion.
I've raced in a few BARC-SEC Single seater events with about 4 or 5 Clubman cars running - a mix of 1700 Crossflow Classic Class and 1600 K Series cars.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 14:59 (Ref:1857196)   #122
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Sorry - no clubmans, only single-seaters
Old 22 May 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1919120)   #123
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it correct that there's an extra Mallory race on August 19th?
Old 22 May 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1919139)   #124
driftwood
Veteran

does that mean mr chubby bum u will race then?
Old 23 May 2007, 06:42 (Ref:1919271)   #125
JohnMiller
Veteran

Can't enter, no stamps.

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc