Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 12 Jun 2002, 01:36 (Ref:311179)   #101
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Geez,
eatapc, your trip home sounds a lot better than mine!

JR27, we would have loved to have had you along, and yes that's the spot we were occupying. Its still the best spot to get a view of the drivers without a paddock pass.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 18:26 (Ref:313772)   #102
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JR,
I was wearing my Jaguar jersey but I couldn't keep up with the others and I couldn't even catch up to a guy in a Minardi shirt. Finally it fell apart, came unraveled, burst into flames, and had to be retired by the time I got to turn 5.

Last edited by Neil C; 14 Jun 2002 at 18:29.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 10:53 (Ref:315969)   #103
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
better late than never...(but it has been a great fornight)
Quote:
Originally posted by djb

and Stephen, I actually did look around for Mr. snatcher of bodies, but given the limited parts of the track I could get to, and the number of orange suited fellows with similiar looking sunglasses and ear protection on, I didn't have any luck. (Alasdair?), would be interested to hear of your experiences here after you finish up at Lemans.

toddle-oo for now.
marvellous time in Montreal for meself and the 10 or so other Brit lads that made the trip. Getting there was a bit of a problem tho'...

Weekend was spent as follows
Friday - turn 14 - end of the straight and pit entry, only had to assist a few crippled FF1600s into the pit lane
Saturday - turn 5, attended a wee barbeque laid on by Mr Sato of Jordan - haven't had time to view the viddy yet, but I'm told there's an impreessive shot of my bum as we pushed the car back up the hill
Sunday - turn 1 - was not looking forward to it since those good pals TGF and Monty shared the front row. Don't know why I worried, what with the track being widened and the removal of the gravel trap it was a piece of cake. Only wee Schu after the flag to deal with...

already planning 2003...
Old 20 Jun 2002, 11:11 (Ref:317501)   #104
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey bodysnatcher, Neil C and I were in the stands just above where Ralph's Williams fiinally expired. I guess we saw you after all .

Iy sounds as though you had a great time. Mr Sato's cross country hike was one of the highlights of the weekend.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 16:05 (Ref:322253)   #105
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While its all fresh in your minds - what is the best stand to go for as we may visit next year
Old 27 Jun 2002, 00:01 (Ref:322560)   #106
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm...well..check this out: http://www.grandprix.ca/ depends how much you want to pay...here's my opinion:

golds = view of the pits and grid, but nothing else. You won't see any on-track action from these stands, apart from a possible view of the last corner from some seats.

silvers = best for on-track action. Eero and NeilC were in grandstand 11 this year and were quite happy with the view of the start/finish line and the first two corners. If I had a bit more money, I'd definately go for grandstand 11. There are also silvers around the hairpin, which is where most of the passing will be.

bronzes= nice if your budget if you dont have a ton to spend. There's one grandstand with a distant view of the hairpin (34). 33 and 31 give you great views of the action at two chicanes. I sat in 33 this year, and was quite happy with the view, although there is more action from 31. Don't even think of grandstand 22.

general admission = sadly not much...but you can usually find places to watch the practice sessions and support races.

If you're thinking of going, reserve your hotel now! Yes now, many people already have! The prelinimary schedule is out and it should be June 13-14-15 2003.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Jun 2002, 01:33 (Ref:322576)   #107
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only place I've ever been was the #24 Silver grandstand, at the section furthest from the hairpin. I tag along with a group of people who've been going for years; they've tried several other places, but they like #24 the best.

The practical advantage of the seats down near the hairpin is that they're the closest part of the track to the Metro, so you can get to your seats relatively quickly.

When looking at the track map on the site Jay linked you to, pay attention to where the jumbo TV screens are. Most of the action takes place on the screen, along with info like timings and running order.

I would say that section #11 is overall the best, but section #24 is very good and a lot more convenient.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 10:38 (Ref:322796)   #108
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks rapid replies - also advice re hotels - which is better for easy access to Montreal centre - Hilton Montreal Laval or Renaissance Marriott near the Parc ? - I've got rooms with both reserved
Old 27 Jun 2002, 12:26 (Ref:322851)   #109
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's nice to be near Rue St-Catherine in the downtown section, because that's were the action is at night (and the shopping in the day). Rue Peel at St-Catherine has different car club displays every night, and there's always a party on Crescent and St-Catherine.

We like to stay, as I said in an earlier post, at the Marriott Chateau Champlain just off Peel. Easy walking distance to almost everything. The Bonaventure Metro stop is directly underneath, with an entrance off the hotel lobby. It's probably a little pricey given the small rooms, however.

If you have the dough, a room on the Concierge floor is the way to go. The Concierge room has a big TV, newspapers, a concierge to make reservations for you (or in our case, arrange a baby sitter), breakfast in the morning, snacks and appetizers later, drinks, etc. That's what we've done, and we've recommended it to friends who thanked us later. (Last year we made the reservations a year ahead of time; right now I can't justify the expense with the economy still slow and my business suffering.)
Old 27 Jun 2002, 20:08 (Ref:323033)   #110
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
To be quite honest though, I'm thinking of doing what djb does next year and just going down on the Saturday. The race is only slightly more exciting than the practice sessions, there are usually at least 2 good support races on Saturday which most F1 fans don't stay for, and the Sunday crowds aren't exactly fun either. And then there's the money...ugh!

Oh well...lots of time to consider it.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 16:45 (Ref:324602)   #111
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
But, Jay, you'd miss dinner!!! If you want, I can attach a ticket in 11 to my order for you and you'll see more. Let me know.

We made our resies for next year on the way out.

Jos, There is usually a good gathering of 10-Tenthers, keep posted -we'd love to meet you.

Last edited by EERO; 30 Jun 2002 at 16:46.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 00:37 (Ref:324814)   #112
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
THanks for the offer Eero, but I'm still not sure what I'm goign to do next year. I'm going to wait until I know that Never know, I might be working or studying elsewhere and unable to make it. But, if I can at all make it, it I'll be sure to include dinner with the Ten-Tenthers, even if I take a midnight bus home .

If you receive your order form, go ahead and order your tickets to ensure you get the seats you want. I probably won't know my situation until late fall.

btw, we were talking about favorite tracks in Grand Prix Legends. I have to say, besides Spa, Zanvoort is awesome! Lots of fun compared to some of the others. Or maybe it just suits my style of going into every corner sideways .

Last edited by Jay; 1 Jul 2002 at 00:38.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes