Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 May 2024, 18:08 (Ref:4210724)   #101
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

TinTopGrumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think what I saw here is that the wet tyres can go further into dry conditions than I first thought. I know by about lap 8 Hill began to fall back in race 3 but his wets hung on well.
On a RWD for sure. Didn't hang on so well with a FWD car which makes sense. Did surprise me how well Hill did on them even with the car he had.
Old 27 May 2024, 18:15 (Ref:4210725)   #102
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamminan View Post
New Toca junior series coming soon....?
2025, with the car making some appearances this season.
Old 27 May 2024, 18:34 (Ref:4210726)   #103
Teamminan
Rookie

Teamminan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby View Post
2025, with the car making some appearances this season.
Should be good ! Looking forward to seeing the new car, and how the new series goes.
Old 27 May 2024, 20:48 (Ref:4210728)   #104
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
At Snetterton? Yes.
Why didn't you go over and offer your tyre-choice advice before Race 3 then?
Old 28 May 2024, 05:46 (Ref:4210749)   #105
cxx666
Rookie

United Kingdom
Edinburgh
cxx666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Something along the lines of 'I now have a car that will last until the end of the race'
I watched it back and you're right. Nice and subtle, but a good one nonetheless
Old 28 May 2024, 06:47 (Ref:4210751)   #106
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
What’s the record for consecutive podiums? Because you wouldn’t bet against him making it at least 8 in a row tomorrow.
After Race 1, Ash was congratulated in interview for equaling Mat Jackson's record for consecutive podiums.

Yet - this was only Sutton's 7th consecutive podium. Jackson's record was 8 (Knockhill R1 to Rockingham R2 - 2009).

Old 28 May 2024, 07:42 (Ref:4210754)   #107
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
Why didn't you go over and offer your tyre-choice advice before Race 3 then?
Turns out I didn't need to, as they reached the same conclusion as me (looking at the same data)
Old 28 May 2024, 13:21 (Ref:4210784)   #108
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't know Sutton was suffering from a bit of smoke/carbon dioxide inhalation in race three!
Old 28 May 2024, 20:36 (Ref:4210831)   #109
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Didn't know Sutton was suffering from a bit of smoke/carbon dioxide inhalation in race three!
Yes that's dedication to the sport putting up with that!

I found that an exciting weekend mainly because of the effects of the changeable weather.

I'm with MattK in preferring the championship to be a little less artificially mixed up, though I will say it's interesting how these sorts of regs seem to be giving Turks a boost again as his consistency on the bad days becomes more advantageous again. I think I've found myself rooting for him to get that 5th title this year actually. Ash can go for his 5th and 6th in the years that follow. Hill seems to be outscoring Turks again though for the moment.
Old 30 May 2024, 08:05 (Ref:4210964)   #110
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
After Race 1, Ash was congratulated in interview for equaling Mat Jackson's record for consecutive podiums.

Yet - this was only Sutton's 7th consecutive podium. Jackson's record was 8 (Knockhill R1 to Rockingham R2 - 2009).

Not to mention Andy Rouse's 13 in 1985-1986...
Old 30 May 2024, 18:45 (Ref:4211026)   #111
mick bennett
Rookie

mick bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Yes that's dedication to the sport putting up with that!

I found that an exciting weekend mainly because of the effects of the changeable weather.

I'm with MattK in preferring the championship to be a little less artificially mixed up, though I will say it's interesting how these sorts of regs seem to be giving Turks a boost again as his consistency on the bad days becomes more advantageous again. I think I've found myself rooting for him to get that 5th title this year actually. Ash can go for his 5th and 6th in the years that follow. Hill seems to be outscoring Turks again though for the moment.

Turkington is very much in the shadow of Hill at the mo, and Thompson before long?. He only seems to do well when at starts at the front , he does'nt seem to interested in fighting for many positions from lowdown anymore ??
Old 30 May 2024, 18:59 (Ref:4211030)   #112
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick bennett View Post
Turkington is very much in the shadow of Hill at the mo, and Thompson before long?. He only seems to do well when at starts at the front , he does'nt seem to interested in fighting for many positions from lowdown anymore ??
Yet is still 2nd in the championship after 9 races?
Old 30 May 2024, 22:55 (Ref:4211054)   #113
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wouldn't say he's 'very much' in Hill's shadow. He was so at Snetterton but at Brands Hatch it was the other way round. Less of hybrid compared both to Hill and Brands may have had a negative impact on Turkington as well.
Old 31 May 2024, 09:09 (Ref:4211094)   #114
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Last couple of years I'd agree, but he really seems invigorated again to me. I think they'll flip flop through the year because of hybrid, but I wouldn't say he's in the shadow.
Old 31 May 2024, 09:22 (Ref:4211096)   #115
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Turkington, as he has done for many years, plays the numbers game and knows that you don't need to be "fighting" to be at the front to win the championship. And Sutton has learnt from him that steady as you go makes points, and pushes you up the championship table.
Old 31 May 2024, 21:08 (Ref:4211165)   #116
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Wouldn't say he's 'very much' in Hill's shadow. He was so at Snetterton but at Brands Hatch it was the other way round. Less of hybrid compared both to Hill and Brands may have had a negative impact on Turkington as well.
If it never rained, Turkington would be ahead of Hill more often.
Sadly for him, this is Britain.
Old 1 Jun 2024, 08:50 (Ref:4211203)   #117
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

TinTopGrumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Abbott View Post
Not to mention Andy Rouse's 13 in 1985-1986...
They said they were talking about the modern era so I guess that mean NGTC only.
Old 1 Jun 2024, 09:42 (Ref:4211211)   #118
tee.1s
Rookie

tee.1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At the end of 2022, and majority of 2023 hill had the measure of Turks. Turks does seem a lot more comfortable with the car this year though
Old 1 Jun 2024, 10:15 (Ref:4211215)   #119
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think the WSR battle is going to be fascinating for the rest of the season and will be quite track dependent as to who the lead car is. Still think Turkington has it in him to be right in the title scrap though.
Old 1 Jun 2024, 11:33 (Ref:4211219)   #120
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTopGrumpy View Post
They said they were talking about the modern era so I guess that mean NGTC only.
Most of the time the 'modern era' is spoken about because the statistics record is so poor going back prior to that. Something I'm researching / working to resolve.
Old 1 Jun 2024, 11:39 (Ref:4211222)   #121
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Abbott View Post
Most of the time the 'modern era' is spoken about because the statistics record is so poor going back prior to that. Something I'm researching / working to resolve.
I wonder if in the old class system there is someone with a run of podiums that stretches beyond 13 within the class?
Old 1 Jun 2024, 11:57 (Ref:4211224)   #122
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill McGovern had a streak of 16 consecutive class wins from 1971-72. I don't know if that's also a podium record but it's something.
Old 1 Jun 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4211252)   #123
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Bill McGovern had a streak of 16 consecutive class wins from 1971-72. I don't know if that's also a podium record but it's something.
That's what I was meaning, by todays standards that would be 16 class podiums in a row! I don't know if they had physical podiums back in those days did they?
Old 1 Jun 2024, 15:07 (Ref:4211259)   #124
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
That's what I was meaning, by todays standards that would be 16 class podiums in a row! I don't know if they had physical podiums back in those days did they?
But a class podium is not an outright podium.

Otherwise, we would be talking about Rowbottom's 13 and 11 podiums in a row both achieved in 2021.....
Old 1 Jun 2024, 15:54 (Ref:4211268)   #125
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But a class podium is not an outright podium.

Otherwise, we would be talking about Rowbottom's 13 and 11 podiums in a row both achieved in 2021.....

They were different days back then, and often the championship was won by cars in the lower, engine size wise, classes. Comes back to the discussion about Turkington; those cars/drivers in the lower classes were often far more consistent and reliable than the bigger cars, and so racked up more points over the season.