Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jul 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3113766)   #101
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Modes not a day for big power by the sounds of it, anyone got any incar video?And well done Zoe, nice to see a lady driver get in win so early in the series.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3113883)   #102
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're right Al! A lot of the guys couldn't use their big power outputs in the race.

With it being my first foray into the series, I really didn't know what to expect - however, on seeing the impressive entry list and then some of the cars themselves on arrival at the circuit, I've got to admit to not expecting much! I think I'd have been happy to finish the dry qualifying session anywhere out of the bottom few! Never having driven the circuit before and with clutch problems for about half of the session didn't do anything to raise my hopes...

So, you can imagine my surprise when I discovered that I'd qualified 16th overall (from about 30 cars, I think) and second in class. Well chuffed doesn't even begin to cover it.

The race, of course would be another matter - or so I thought. As it turns out (and as already mentioned), the sudden deluge of rain just as we were due to start changed things beyond what anyone imagined I reckon. The ten minutes we were granted to allow tyre changes did nothing for me - I was there with only the other half in attendance, the 'wets' were still strapped on my trailer down the far end of the paddock, and I'd have had to change all four on my own, in my race suit, in under ten minutes. 'Not gonna happen' I thought to myself, and sat there for ten minutes watching my windows mist up so badly I couldn't see anything!

I must admit, at this point, I wasn't feeling overly confident about what may be achieved in the race! But in the end, after spinning into Redgate on lap two and dropping down to around 17th, I got my head down, found some grip here and there and clawed my way back up the field. Had some really good dices along the way, and the icing on the cake was ending up 7th overall, won the class and set fastest lap (in class)! To say I was surprised and amazed is an understatement - I'd have been well chuffed just to have maintained my qualifying performance in the middle of the pack.

There was some pretty potent looking machinery in my class, so to win it was just more than I could have dreamt of, and I just want to thank Bernie and everyone else involved in putting on a great day's racing. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the weather, which, if the truth be known, probably did me a favour - I can't see me repeating that result anytime soon in a dry race!
Old 30 Jul 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3113890)   #103
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez!!!

Murphys Law big time - I've carried around a set of tyres for the last 5 years to use as wets and in all that time I've never done a proper wet race so they've never been used (except for qually at Brands in June which was a mistake!!). Swap out those tyres for some second hand Hoosiers and what happens we have a monsoon as we line up on the grid

Just to make matters worse a horrendous vibration had somehow manifested itself after qually so the short story is I had a crap race!

I expected carnage considering the conditions but its a credit to all competing that was not the case although a few of us had a spin or two

Big, big thanks to the marshals for standing out in that.

Big thanks ro Bernie for once again putting on a great show, hell even the drivers briefing and more so the awards were entertaining

Not so impressed with Donington for making us wait until 8pm on Saturday evening before we could get in - what was that all about?? Oh, and where has the hook up in the paddock gone?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 30 Jul 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3113900)   #104
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I think you're right Al! A lot of the guys couldn't use their big power outputs in the race.

There was some pretty potent looking machinery in my class, so to win it was just more than I could have dreamt of, and I just want to thank Bernie and everyone else involved in putting on a great day's racing. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the weather, which, if the truth be known, probably did me a favour - I can't see me repeating that result anytime soon in a dry race!
Paul,
Well done for the class win and good to meet up! Was good to have Martyn's and your TR8s out, as well as the Tigers and the TVR Griffiths. Didn't get chance to chat with Alan Collett with the Iso Rivolta but great to see it out.

Hopefully you and Martyn will be back for the September Donington. With our dry practice times so close (all three within 3 tenths of a second) got to be fun in the dry!
Old 30 Jul 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3113948)   #105
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Tom Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great weekend. Qualified 11th after completely cocking up the last corner on my 'hot' lap, but releashed in the rain.

Here's a video, for those that want to see just how bad the rain was!

Well done all, even those who *cough* cheated *cough* on competition Tyres!

Another great meeting, and I hope you enjoyed the Barley awning hospitality and Scott Racing goodies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gomU...e_gdata_player

Tom.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3113976)   #106
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by modes View Post
Paul,
Well done for the class win and good to meet up!
Modes - yes, sorry, I meant to say in my last post that it was good to finally meet up with some of you guys and put faces to names! Can't speak for Martyn, but I will definitely be back for more. Don't know when however, as the next one at Donington looks like it's going to clash with some other commitments, so I may not make that one.

Tom - yes indeed, many thanks for the hospitality! Enjoyed the video too, but if I may say, I think the combination of your wide-angle lens plus the glare from the un-wiped side of the windscreen makes it difficult to tell just how wet it really was for those first few laps!

My own attempts at a video failed somewhat, as it had been running since we gathered in the assembly area, so with all the delays due to the rain, by the time the race actually started, the bloody memory card was full after only a few laps! Bummer! I had really been looking forward to watching it too!

Anyway, I do have the first few laps (plus my spin! ), and it just might give a better idea of how bad it really was at first. When I've edited it down, I'll see if I can upload it.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3114008)   #107
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barley View Post
I had a great weekend. Qualified 11th after completely cocking up the last corner on my 'hot' lap, but releashed in the rain.

Here's a video, for those that want to see just how bad the rain was!

Well done all, even those who *cough* cheated *cough* on competition Tyres!

Another great meeting, and I hope you enjoyed the Barley awning hospitality and Scott Racing goodies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gomU...e_gdata_player

Tom.
Tom
Good video. First class repairs on the car too, after Spa. (Had a good look round). Good to see it out again.

Thanks for the use of the awning, just as well with the weather. Bernie was on good form too in it doing his one man show, he gets better! Any chance of you putting a stage up for him in the awning next time?... you have the room in it!

Can't think why you'd think competition wets would give an advantage.... My 3 year old Toyos gave me enough frights!
Old 31 Jul 2012, 05:54 (Ref:3114061)   #108
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Thanks Modes. The guys at Simon Green Motorsport were working round the clock to get it done, we also had to rebuild the engine as that said goodnight at Spa too!

A stage is a great idea! Not sure if we're out at the next Donington meet but we'll see.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3114086)   #109
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
. . .

Not so impressed with Donington for making us wait until 8pm on Saturday evening before we could get in - what was that all about?? . . .
Experience has shown that letting Sunday traffic in before (most of) the Saturday transporters etc. have left is a recipe for chaos and much bigger delays.

Jim
Old 31 Jul 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3114106)   #110
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was certainly plenty of room and it all seemed a bit jobsworth to me. In past year's we have arrived mid afternoon on a Saturday and been able to sign on and scrutineer and then head for the hotel.
In fact parking the car and trailer at the Hilton was totally impossible. Then it meant leaving the hotel at 6.30 to get there for SO and scrutiny in the morning. All a bit pointless and makes folk think about whether to go back again.
Also a good few of the Saturday competitors stayed over to watch on Sunday and did not move their trailers and transporters.
I think Donington were just being plain awkward.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3114301)   #111
Moosehead
Veteran

Well faffing about like that is certainly not competitor friendly. Having to wait and then finally get in at 8pm meant we didn't eat until way after 9pm which ****ed the missus off so the circuit is on her black list!

Also, considering there is a curfew for running competition cars its a bit silly making people wait as its obvious some want to unload ready for the morning.

And it wouldn't be so silly if there wasn't room, but there is that large gravel patch which could have very easily been used as a waiting area.

Circuits do seem to forget that competitors are still customers.

BTW - the security staff deserved a thumbs up for their cheery and helpfull attitude.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3114303)   #112
Moosehead
Veteran

Video from the tail end of the grid..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DFlO...&feature=g-upl
Old 31 Jul 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3114363)   #113
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:

Wayne
Been waiting for the video. Good one on car control... well done mate!

That Mustang was a handful! Also that horrible white MG was just about to get in your way late on.... Sorry, but by then I was staying in 5th gear most of the lap, couldn't get anyone else so decided to keep it in one peice. My MG pulls clean in 5th from about 20mph. I could see you couldn't get any power down, for once. So kept cruising away down the straight bits... a genuine new experience for me on a track with you! No doubt you'll make me pay for it on the next dry day!
Old 31 Jul 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3114404)   #114
Moosehead
Veteran

Modes - you were a lap ahead of me anyway!! The slightly dry(er) track in places towards the end was a help so another few laps..................

Your car looked so very composed in those conditions
Old 31 Jul 2012, 22:29 (Ref:3114444)   #115
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Modes - you were a lap ahead of me anyway!! The slightly dry(er) track in places towards the end was a help so another few laps..................

Your car looked so very composed in those conditions
Wayne, the benefit of keeping near standard soft MG suspension. But I really must spend some money and get some new tyres .... 3 years old Toyos and not much tread! During the 10 minute start delay I just laid down in the pit lane (in a stream) and slackened off the dampers. Thats my story for my wet overall bottoms.... and I'm sticking to it!!!!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3114555)   #116
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:

Cool video!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3114586)   #117
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Wayne for keeping it on the track, no fun in those conditions is it? I remember when I raced a 1600 Sunbeam Ti driving round the outside my mates powerful Camaro at Gerrards and slaughtering him in the race for once.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3114589)   #118
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Wayne. Great video and well done for controlling the car in such bad conditions. I haven't watched the whole video but the early laps certainly show how wet it was. Lovely to see the Griff in front for the first couple of laps - it does look pretty stable and I was astonished when I took over the car at how okay it felt in still slippery conditions. We were running on 4 year old Yoka's (car off the track for 3 years) which worked really well even in the very wet.

BTW, thanks again for all your support on Saturday with my baby Fiat. Jason was much happier having you hand over tools / discuss solutions than non-technical me!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3114620)   #119
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Enjoyed watching your video Wayne. I see you spun in exactly the same place as me! Mind you, I think you lasted a couple of laps longer than I did before the inevitble!

Anyway, My video is now uploaded here: http://youtu.be/BZCN8k67gYM

Sorry it's only the rolling start plus the first few laps (as mentioned earlier, my camera decided that was enough), but it does at least give those who weren't there an idea of just how wet the early part of the race was - and how difficult it was to find any grip. It's a shame it went off when it did, as you can see that I was just closing in on a group of cars to have a good dice with them!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3114690)   #120
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Enjoyed watching your video Wayne. I see you spun in exactly the same place as me! Mind you, I think you lasted a couple of laps longer than I did before the inevitble!

Sorry it's only the rolling start plus the first few laps (as mentioned earlier, my camera decided that was enough), but it does at least give those who weren't there an idea of just how wet the early part of the race was - and how difficult it was to find any grip. It's a shame it went off when it did, as you can see that I was just closing in on a group of cars to have a good dice with them!
You, spin, Paul? Can't imagine that.

Seriously, well done in those conditions.....from my experience of spinning at Brooklands in the wet, I can imagine that sitting there after your spin waiting (hoping?) for the pack to come past must have been, er, "engaging"!

Sorry we couldn't attend to assist - otherwise engaged with my Alfa hat on with our series down the road at Mallory, where there was very little rain, thankfully. I must admit as I cruised past Donington on the M1 about 8.00 on Sunday morning I did feel a temptation to change destination.... must get to one of Bernie's V8 races....but preferably a dry one!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3114692)   #121
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:

Paul,
Nice one!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3114805)   #122
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:

Good stuff Paul.

Spun where the spectators were = playing to the crowd
Old 1 Aug 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3114978)   #123
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
Good stuff Paul.

Spun where the spectators were = playing to the crowd
Wayne - there were spectators there...? Oh, I hadn't noticed!

Glad you all enjoyed the video... just wish there'd been a bit more!

Richard - what are you trying to say? I do hope you're not suggesting that I'm prone to the occasional 'moment'? However, you're correct about the seemingly endless time spent sitting there, having spun, and hoping no one collects you as they slip past. My main concern was, of course, the red Camaro that I'd just passed into Redgate - he didn't have much time to react or make a decision which way to go. Luckily, he chose wisely, and went round the back of me. I was watching for his reaction as I spun, and I hit the brakes as soon as I realised which way he was going to go, so that I wouldn't roll back into his path. That just about left enough room for him behind me. Then about four or five more cars all slipped through in front of me, just to rub my nose in it! Still, I had fun catching them all back up again!