Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 2003, 22:14 (Ref:602154)   #101
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen

If tub 732-15 is an equivalent to the chassis then this is a rebuild of Beuttler's 732-9 by Brian Lewis using the tub from what was intended to be 732-15 after Beuttler destroys chassis 9 at Rouen.

The complicating factor is that this may [allegedly] have subsequently been rebuilt as a 742 [10] for Heavens [the car raced by Antonio Prado in '75] Despite the fact that Jorg Obermoser has also got a 742-10 raced by Dave Walker and Harald Ertl in '74 which is a different car altogether.

Chris
Old 17 May 2003, 23:19 (Ref:602209)   #102
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
A Question,What is the difference between a tub and a chassis?.Isn't the tub the chassis,or is the chassis the tub with wheels and gearbox?.
Old 17 May 2003, 23:38 (Ref:602225)   #103
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Armco, March has [should have] a chassis plate rivetted on to alloy panel, which will say ,E.G. 732-9 , which at that stage could have meant an F2 or an F/atlantic.
On a certain part of the car was also stampted a tub no. E.G. 732-6 .Sometimes these were the same , but only when new,and it did not take long for cars to get damaged , you then got a replacement tubE.G. 732-20 and slid it under your chassis plate and ended up with Chassis no.732-9 plate under tub 732-20 and went on your merry way till you stuffed it again .
In the meantime your original may have been repaired and was sitting at March or Thompson's all lost and lonely untill it went into service again this time in what used to be say, 732-32.
Then along come people like say Fred Smith and buy a rebuilt tub and parts and build the whole mess up in 1976 and people like Chris,Allen ,myself and various others go nuts trying to figure it all out.
Bryan.
Old 17 May 2003, 23:48 (Ref:602233)   #104
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Chris, tryed faxing you and Allen , Allen may have rec'd. 1 or 2 pages at best.Will post some F5000 stuff to Allen on Mon. so will send your's as well and he can get it to you.
I will include F3 only because it may help sort out Modus mysteries as at the British G.P. 75 we have 2 Atl./Brise and Gygax,and 6xF3 all at same meeting.
Bryan.
Old 18 May 2003, 04:45 (Ref:602314)   #105
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
So Marches,and most cars are like Grandpa's axe,7 new heads and 10 new handles,but still Grandpa's original.
So you can take the chassis plate and slap it on a new tub too,and still call it the original car as long as you have that original chassis plate?.
Old 18 May 2003, 05:04 (Ref:602321)   #106
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Armco, To a certain extent yes , but there are cars about that are still on the original combination,as in Aust. , more likely scenario would be to take dead tub to somebody and reskin or rebuild with new bulkheads or whatever as there did not exist a changeover service as there was at March.
To answer your original question that I managed to totally ignore ,to me a chassis is a tube frame car and a tub is a monocque but others may see it differently.
Some cars lead sheltered lives as say my BT35-8 , 23 races from new,other cars could have done 23 races in a season,especially if you were running F2 or F1 championship or similar and the budget was there to allow spare cars even,also a lot of chassis plate swapping went on to facilitate border crossing in Europe.
Bryan.
Old 18 May 2003, 09:23 (Ref:602385)   #107
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Chris, I had my Mac mixed up , claimed to be , Brendan McInerney,Tony Trimmer, then Brian McGuire the 3rd of the A.I.R.O. team. sorry.
However it is BT28-20 and the A.M. no is a 69 stamping , thence to Dick Barker for 1972 thence traded to Bob Howlings who ran it in club events then sold to Aust. Greg Bowden who returned to Aust. with car in 1973/4.
End result is BT28-20 is here for your information.
If you go to Irish Atlantic I will post some BT30 bits.
Regards Bryan.
Old 18 May 2003, 11:47 (Ref:602473)   #108
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Miller
Chris, tryed faxing you and Allen , Allen may have rec'd. 1 or 2 pages at best.
Nothing arrived here

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Miller
Will post some F5000 stuff to Allen on Mon. so will send your's as well and he can get it to you.
Thanks Will do.
Old 19 May 2003, 07:07 (Ref:603120)   #109
eldougo
Rookie

eldougo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan Miller ----- welcome the GADET man good to see you online.

Doug grant.
Old 29 May 2003, 14:14 (Ref:613671)   #110
Smellybeard
Rookie

Smellybeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...so where do I look for "a tub no." on a 74 1/2B? It has cast front bulkheads and rere rads but otherwise looks like a 74B.

Modus M3-027 is looking a bit rough but still has life in it. Hopefully it will race this year.

Dave.
Old 30 May 2003, 08:11 (Ref:614472)   #111
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Smellybeard, under the roll over bar on the lhs should be a no.
741/2B is this what is on a chassis plate ???
Where did your car come from and when.??????????

Bryan.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 18:47 (Ref:617013)   #112
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Smellybeard

You also seem to have the old Richard Scott Modus - a car with a good bit of history, and last heard of wrapped round an Irish mountain. Can you tell us more of how and when it came to you?

Perhaps on the Modus thread though [Title: Racing a la mode]

Chris
Old 2 Jun 2003, 10:39 (Ref:617577)   #113
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Smellybeard, when I sold my Modus to my brother he also was given 3 photo's of the 2 Dicksons of Perth M3 cars, certainly 1 photo must be before they raced and includes the team transporter , all complete with British Caledonian Airways livery and looking absolutely stunning in black and yellow two tone .
Kevin , if you see this can you pull photo's and place here.

Bryan.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 12:35 (Ref:617703)   #114
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Bryan

That 'black' is a royal blue. They did look good, and Dickson's ran a very professional outfit, all the way up to the Lotus 78 that Norman ran with Colin Bennett racing in the AFX series.

Chris
Old 3 Jun 2003, 01:01 (Ref:618623)   #115
Kevin Miller
Rookie

Kevin Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will find the photo mentioned and post it on Thursday. Cheers, Kevin.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 01:04 (Ref:618626)   #116
Kevin Miller
Rookie

Kevin Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will post the photos on the Modus (a la Mode) thread. Kevin.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 09:02 (Ref:618910)   #117
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Chris.

I have found a Racing Car News [Aust.] adv. July 1973 by Graham Lawrence using N.Z. adress .

Brabham BT30 , for sale Hart 1.6 litre and also 2.0 litre FVC.
I have never heard of one over in Kiwiland , do you have any suspicions of one emmigrating.

Bryan.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 10:39 (Ref:618986)   #118
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Scrolled back through the Tasman series as far as I can see Graeme Lawrence never used a BT30,in '68 he had a BT18.Lawrences were a family of car dealers so it may have been a car from Asia he horse traded?.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 10:45 (Ref:618993)   #119
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Armco, thanks for confirming , I have never seen any ref. in period in N.Z. or Aust. to a BT30 in our neck of the woods.
I suppose he had contacts in the U.K. and poss. trying to move a car for somebody.
Bryan.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 10:49 (Ref:618997)   #120
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Chris , if you see the above , I have just found a Players Quebec report and grid , apart from anything else there are 11 75Bs on the grid.

Bryan.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 12:59 (Ref:619120)   #121
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Bryan

Yup, 12 March 75Bs built, plus one prototype, plus at least one tub and new plate grafted onto an older car, and possible one 'special'.

The 12 'proper' cars all went to North America
3 go to Shierson for Syd Demovsky/Richard Melville/Jim Batchelor/Tom Pumpelly/Vince Muzzin and Brambilla at Trois Rivieres [this may have been a new car out of series]
1 goes to Interscope for John Woodner
1 goes to Tim Cooper
1 goes to Don Briedenbach
1 goes to who ever runs Price Cobb
2 go to who ever runs Chip Mead, and the spare is sometimes raced by Cliff Hansen
1 goes to Craig Hill [and if anyone from the Canadian Group is reading this perhaps they could help us with Craig's cars]
1 [chassis 10] goes to Bertil Roos, and he races it in UK before shipping it back to Canada
1 goes to Ecurie Canada for Villeneuve

The above is based on analysing the appearances at all the Canadian races, which, given Shierson's engine contract, allows you to identify who he entered at a particular race even when you're not told who enters a particular driver.
The only car that seems to disappear in the course of the series is Demovsky's, so I'm guessing he threw it at a wall somewhere.

Eric Kerman and Tom Crowther appear at the SCCA finals at the end of the year with 75Bs which I guess are secondhand.

The prototype:
Autosport track tests a 75B at the end of 74 - together with a 753 and 752 - so one exists. Derek Cook then appears with a 75B at Boxing Day Brands Hatch race, 1974. This should [if March followed a logical numbering on prototypes] be 75B-U1

However, 75B-U1 is allegedly the number given to Mallock's rebuild of the ex Coulon 742. Autosport records this as the chassis number when this car appears at the F2 race at Thruxton in 75. Possibly there were two U1s, or else Cook had returned his prototype [he bought a B29 at some point in 1975] and March turned it round to Mallock!

Cook's cars are a bit of a nightmare. His B29 went to Jeremy Rossiter in short order and he bought an old B27, which was, or was not, depending on who you believe, the same B27 he'd raced in 1974!
He's the father of Paula Cook [I think] who raced F3 a few years back.

Chris
Old 3 Jun 2003, 13:02 (Ref:619126)   #122
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
One error in that screed: For Demovsky car as written off read Briedenbach

Chris
Old 3 Jun 2003, 14:46 (Ref:619242)   #123
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in touch with Don. What do you need me to ask him?
Old 3 Jun 2003, 15:51 (Ref:619329)   #124
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Allen

You mean Briedenbach?
All sorts really. What was his 75B, stuffed or sold? Who to?
Usual things concerning single seaters. What other Atlantic did he run?

One question worth asking is how many Chevron B42s did John David Briggs really have in the 78 Euro F2 season. There could have been as many as five between him and Briedenbach, depending on whether you believe F1R and/or the chassis numbers for Dean and Robinson's cars in the AFX series in 79 which are all described as ex Briggs and which don't wholly [much] agree with F1R.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 21:20 (Ref:619698)   #125
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
BT30 in our neck of the woods.
Weren't the Hart 1.6 litre and also 2.0 litre FVC engines what they used in Asian F2 at that time,GL did most of his racing round the Asian circuits,in the results of that period BT30s are featured,most likely a car from there.GL still lives in Hamilton, NZ,to the best of my knowledge,he should be in the Telecom NZ white pages if you wanted to fax him.
Closed Thread