Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2301241)   #101
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They tried 1 tire for the whole race in 2005 but weren't too thrilled with the state of the tires at the end of the race changed back for 2006.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2301280)   #102
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Change tyres whenever you want, not a problem your choice to be a little slower because of tyre choice/driving style/set up and go the whole race or be more aggressive in those three areas and therefore faster but stop 1,2 or 3 times for tyres. Of course that implies no requirement to use two types of tyre but that particular stupid rule was a poor attempt to replace some of the racing and unpredictability we lost when refuelling was introduced.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2301318)   #103
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiseYourFist
They tried 1 tire for the whole race in 2005 but weren't too thrilled with the state of the tires at the end of the race changed back for 2006.
Actually it was quite successful....if you happened to be on Michelins.They even gave Bridgestone a chance to catch up at Indy.

Nothing at all wrong with race distance tyres IMO.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2301410)   #104
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I would say allow tyre changes, but with some alteration to the present.

I would propose three compunds per race. Have the hardest and softest significantly different (way, way beyond the difference between the two at present), with the middle one a more generic compound (it wouldn't alter nearly as much from race-to-race).

Remove this annoying compulsory compound use thing. Leave it completely open, without having to choose tyres before qualifying or the race (or anything similarly controlling).

Just have the three compounds arranged in such a way that multiple pit strategies are viable for the race. Pitting thrice, twice, or once being quite viable (maybe even zero being an outside bet, given certain circumstances). Have it so it is a tough call.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2301716)   #105
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in full agreeance with banning re-fuelling as well.

Another factor could be drivers, with such heavy cars, running less wing again to make up some time on the straights (meaning they'd be slower again in the corners)

Bottom line is i think racing should be done on the track, i find passing because of pitstops & 2 or 3 stop strategies pretty tedious (though i will admit, found them quite a novelty back in 1994, but it wore off after a while)
Old 1 Oct 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2302023)   #106
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie is on a cost saving binge right now, think of all the money it would save in motel bills, food for the refuelling crews, etc. it should be a no brainer as our American friends would say. Let's ban refuelling.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2302089)   #107
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The pitcrews would still be there to set up the cars before the race so I don't think they are going to save any money that way.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2302271)   #108
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
There should be no fuel stops. Races should be won on the track. It's an art form in itself to set up a car that's good on heavy fuel at the start, gradually lightening through the race and light at the end. Drivers would have to think more about looking after tyres and such like instead of the three flat out sprints that exist now. It would improve the racing imo.
Why not have an impartial pit crew at the start of pit lane that does *all* fuel and tyres stops for *all* teams?

The "FIA Pit Crew" have a team capable of handling two cars at a time. The tactics of the teams now becomes second guessing what the other teams are doing so that they can ensure an empty pit-box.

For Safety Car periods, the pitlane opens after the safety car passes for the first time, and closes when the Safety Car starts it's in lap.

Penalties are served in an "FIA Penalty Box" at the exit of Pit Lane, and drivers are allowed to refuel/change tyres but must do so at the "FIA Pit Box"

For any other work, the car then proceeds to their own pit box to replace/adjust the wings, put a new drinking bottle in for the driver, stop for a sandwich....
Old 1 Oct 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2302298)   #109
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh and the lollipop man just happends to stand there for a few extra seconds when its a mclaren pitstop to let the red cars through... the FIA are bias enough, without giving them more control to fix race results!
Old 1 Oct 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2302302)   #110
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aside from the penalty box that idea simply wouldn't work.

As for fuel loads I don't see a need to ban refuelling - just a slight change to the regulations to have a lockout or maybe just ban dropping the cars from the jacks with the hose in.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2302304)   #111
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
A dedicated crew that works on all teams? That is a truly terrible idea (this isn't merely IMO - it is an objective fact that it is a terrible idea). Apart from it being totally pointless, and logistically/practically impossible, I just don't think I could handle the endless furore kicked up by the conspiracy theorists.

Last edited by Dutton; 1 Oct 2008 at 20:05.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2302339)   #112
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
the endless furore kicked up by the conspiracy theorists.
But think of the TV coverage you could get from it....
- CSI:F1
- When Good Pitstops go Bad
- Police Camera PitStop
- Ready Steady Courtcase

And we really should give DC something to talk about if the rumours of the BBC deal are to be believed.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2303590)   #113
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Refuelling isn't dangerous. It's the F1 pitstop procedure that's dangerous. Yes, lets stick 30 guys out int he path of a moving car before it has stopped!

How about this, keep the car on the jacks until all the fuel is in it, and the hose is safely out. Would completely eradicate what happened the past few races.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2303598)   #114
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
How about this, keep the car on the jacks until all the fuel is in it, and the hose is safely out. Would completely eradicate what happened the past few races.
I wouldn't want to be the front 'jack guy'!
Old 4 Oct 2008, 01:14 (Ref:2303782)   #115
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Let the front down first. That way, the guy can clear out from the front, and the rear guy can lower.
Old 4 Oct 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2303907)   #116
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Let the front down first. That way, the guy can clear out from the front, and the rear guy can lower.
But now I wouldn't want to be the rear jack guy.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 02:50 (Ref:2304480)   #117
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Why not? You just let the car down as normal.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2304574)   #118
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
except, by the time the rear wheels hit the floor, they ar already spinning, and the rea jack guy now gets dragged down the pitlane.

I believe it is ferrari that have set a precedent for this sort of thing in the past?
Old 5 Oct 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2304981)   #119
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they should stop using jack men, and use hydraulic jacks like in a ot of other series
Old 6 Oct 2008, 02:28 (Ref:2305084)   #120
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf
except, by the time the rear wheels hit the floor, they ar already spinning, and the rea jack guy now gets dragged down the pitlane.

I believe it is ferrari that have set a precedent for this sort of thing in the past?
I'm not sure about ever seeing someone getting dragged down the pitlane (they can just let go!), but, in 1995, Herbert, at the Catalunya GP, driving for Benneton (sp?), zoomed off down the pitlane with the rear-jack still attached.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 03:17 (Ref:2305089)   #121
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
Maybe they should stop using jack men, and use hydraulic jacks like in a ot of other series
But that would be too easy. :P This is Formula One after all, where the most complicated **** is the 'right' way.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2305289)   #122
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I'm not sure about ever seeing someone getting dragged down the pitlane (they can just let go!), but, in 1995, Herbert, at the Catalunya GP, driving for Benneton (sp?), zoomed off down the pitlane with the rear-jack still attached.
Not down the pitlane, but nobody can let got fast enough to not be dragged a few meters, enough to cause injury.

Is there a technical reason for not having airjacks?
Old 6 Oct 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2305305)   #123
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye

Is there a technical reason for not having air-jacks?
I can't think why it couldn't be done,but then I can't think why it should be necessary to refuel anyway.

You'd only use the jacks to put the wheels on anyway,so you've still got the fuel rig (and the refueler) attached to the car.I suppose that you could combine the fuel hose going in to operate the jacks and then the fuel hose coming out to release the jacks.It would of course have to be a standard system.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2305625)   #124
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Williams experimented with them that one year. I think it must've been 2003, since they were pretty competitive I recall. They had issues more than once, but the best was when they were 1-3 on the grid at Spa, but some problem with the software left the two of them up on their jacks as the field pulled past them. Still, for sure, if it was mandated that automatic jacks had to be used, well, then they would made to work (any initial problems would swiftly be ironed out).

I have presumed that it was these negative experiences that have caused the teams to keep away from it. Of course, you can likely bet Williams' technology for the jacks was some needlessly high-tech-complicated system (as opposed to basic but effective). That is the point of F1, though, IMO.

Why should it be a standardised system? Let the teams work it out. Look at the raging success the standardised Fuel rigs have been.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2305632)   #125
AMG Fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
AMG Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think banning refuelling would dramatically improve the spectacle. For example, you've got a train of cars at Hungaroring, they all have full tanks - how will that improve the racing?

No, what should improve the racing is next years cars, with far less aerodynamic pieces and slick tyres.