Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 Nov 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2590224)   #101
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nelson and Conquest would be quite a pleasant surprise, especially to them.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2590236)   #102
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scheckter really deserves a full season drive. He was the best and most consistent of the replacement/part time drivers this year. As much as I would like to see Tracy, Servia and Lloyd back in the series, if I were a team boss at this point in time, I'd pick Scheckter instead.

It's great to see Ryan HR at AGR, erm, pardon Andretti AS. He probably will help the team improve their road and street course performances quite a lot.
Sarah Fisher Racing with two cars is an exciting thought. I hope they'll get good finishes.
I'm actually pretty surprised that Panther, Foyt and HVM are not going back to 2 car entries this season just yet. But hopefully, we will see more Panthers at Indy.
Here's also hoping that Paul Tracy's ride at KV allows him to do more races than this year. He has been very entertaining, despite his crash with Helio in Toronto having been the 2nd most silly moment of the season (only to be beaten to the bottom spot by the crash of Tagliani and Scheckter at the same track).
Old 27 Nov 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2590263)   #103
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
In today's Indy Star, there was an item in "Pit pass" that said EJ Viso is working on putting together a deal that would make him the third Ganassi Racing car on the grid.
Interesting. In 2008, I thought Viso was the real deal. Some others where even suggesting he should replace Briscoe who, at the time, was struggling! I don't think he was that good, but 2009...I just don't know what happened. The HVM cars weren't good at all, surely, but Viso just didn't show many signs of life. He went from an exciting and aggressive driver who I felt with the right mentor could develop into a contender to someone who I just didn't care either way if he was on the grid or not.

If he lands at Ganassi, I hope we see the EJ of old. He seems like a really nice guy and it'd certainly be fun to see his incredibly bold overtakes happening at the front of the pack.

Three Penskes, three Ganassis, even a chance of three NHLR cars, and maybe a few competitive ones from Andretti Super Sport. Could be fun. Will Power will beat them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Nelson and Conquest would be quite a pleasant surprise, especially to them.
I had been under the assumption that deal was confirmed. I guess not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Scheckter really deserves a full season drive. He was the best and most consistent of the replacement/part time drivers this year. As much as I would like to see Tracy, Servia and Lloyd back in the series, if I were a team boss at this point in time, I'd pick Scheckter instead.

It's great to see Ryan HR at AGR, erm, pardon Andretti AS. He probably will help the team improve their road and street course performances quite a lot.
Sarah Fisher Racing with two cars is an exciting thought. I hope they'll get good finishes.
I'm actually pretty surprised that Panther, Foyt and HVM are not going back to 2 car entries this season just yet. But hopefully, we will see more Panthers at Indy.
Here's also hoping that Paul Tracy's ride at KV allows him to do more races than this year. He has been very entertaining, despite his crash with Helio in Toronto having been the 2nd most silly moment of the season (only to be beaten to the bottom spot by the crash of Tagliani and Scheckter at the same track).
I like Scheckter, too, though with all the road courses being added, it does lessen his value. Despite having an F1 background, Tomas has taken to the ovals in the IRL much better than the roadies, and going 6 for 6 on retirements in 2008 didn't help (not all were his fault...Indy was so heartbreaking. With the pace he was showing early on, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had won the thing).

PT's a great addition for entertainment value, but he's also getting old. I really like James Hinchcliffe, too; what a great personality and would be able to help the Canadian attendance a bit I'd think if he was promoted correctly. Hinch had been in talks with Team 3G apparently, but they've since confirmed Antinucci. I do hope PT gets something full-time, or at least more than he had in 2009.

I think ServiÃ* is so underrated, honestly. He stepped in at Forsythe for an injured PT in CCWS and did very well in 2007, was the best of the CCWS boys in 2008 in the IRL, and did very well at NHLR in his stint there. If only he had money.

One guy not mentioned that I wish had a ride is Townsend Bell. He's one of the nicest guys in Indy racing in my opinion, and his fourth at Indy was so impressive, considering he beat his teammates PT, who had made headlines all May with his return to IMS, and Moraes, who, after qualifying, was considered a darkhorse to win.

I'm not sure what to think of RHR. He's likeable and marketable, but 2009 was not a year to remember. Obviously, the Foyt cars are the worst ones out there, but there just didn't seem to be as many spirited drives as their should have been. It all fell apart slowly after St. Pete. He'll probably be back on form with Andretti, though. I bet he could beat Danica and Marco in the standings assuming he gets the same cars as them.

It's all about money. Panther, Foyt, and HVM only have funding for one car...actually, HVM may not even have funding for Doornbos (some rumors say he's gone). Panther were kind of depending on Scott Sharp and Tequila Patrón, but won't get either, as Sharp is starting his own ALMS GT2 team where he will partner with Ed Brown in driving a Ferrari F430, and Tequila Patrón will be busy sponsoring at least three cars in ALMS, maybe more.

It should be a fun season, though. A lot of interesting guys in some interesting rides, and a good grid. I hope to see Power put up a good fight, Moraes to continue the form he was in at the end of 09, a bunch of guys in good rides, and some top ten runs for Sarah Fisher. I can't wait.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2590407)   #104
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, if EJ does land at Target, I hope we get the EJ of 2008, you are right Jacques Rabbit. In 2008, Viso showed more promise than in 2009, he was definitely faster and more agressive.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2591425)   #105
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is de Ferran still putting a team in?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2591469)   #106
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's rumors for 50 empty seats, and not a one of them will appear on the grid without sponsorship money that isn't being found.

De Ferran won't run unless he can fund two cars, and so far he can't. A few people will get lucky, it appears Jaques Lazier has scraped something together, but all the talk about people's intentions is worthless.

Tomorrow, Danica is likely to announce her new contract with AGR as sponsored by Go Daddy. But they were already an associate sponsor for her: if Boost pulls out, isn't it likely that this will mean a net loss? The cost of Marco's ride was supposedly bring offset by Mutoh's sponsorship, which is now gone.

So that could easily leave Andretti with three cars to run on less money, not counting the loss of the Formula Dream money. And If Reay was getting enough to pay the full ride from Izod at AA, it would already be announced.

De Ferran was hoping to get Mutoh's meal ticket, which is now being discussed as going to Newman Haas Lanigan. They'll apparently need it, since Graham Rahal's Mcdonalds money is questionable. Better hold the fries.

Bottom line to me is that none of this crap means anything, until the deals are confirmed. And the announcements won't mean much if the cars don't show up. It's all beyond silly. The only team gaining ground with sponsorship is Sarah Fisher, who has proven she is capable of running bottom five in a brand new and tested car.

I'd put stock in the rumor of a third Ganassi car now that Penske has confirmed one. If there are more than 23 full time seats next year, you can call me a pessimist then.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2591540)   #107
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
It appears Danica will be announcing that she will be racing in the ARCA season opener in February at Daytona. This effort will be sponsored by GoDaddy.

Im sure her contract will come up as well.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2591859)   #108
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
It appears Danica will be announcing that she will be racing in the ARCA season opener in February at Daytona. This effort will be sponsored by GoDaddy.

Im sure her contract will come up as well.
She announced a 3-year deal with GoDaddy.com as sponsor and her same term with Andretti Autosport.

I haven't seen anything about confirming her in cabs in any other tin top series in any of today's news.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Nov 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2591916)   #109
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Which means that the Boost money is gone, and the increase in Go Daddy bucks may or may not offset the loss of sponsorship dollars to AA.

So who's paying for Marco's seat, and where is the rest of the funding for a full season fourth car coming from?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2591953)   #110
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
One guy not mentioned that I wish had a ride is Townsend Bell. He's one of the nicest guys in Indy racing in my opinion, and his fourth at Indy was so impressive, considering he beat his teammates PT, who had made headlines all May with his return to IMS, and Moraes, who, after qualifying, was considered a darkhorse to win.
Yes, most certainly, Townsend Bell deserves to be in the series. I'm pretty sure his ride to 4th place at Indy this year will not have gone unnoticed. But as you already said, it all depends on sponsorship. It would be great to see Bell back for Indy at least.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2591973)   #111
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
She announced a 3-year deal with GoDaddy.com as sponsor and her same term with Andretti Autosport.

I haven't seen anything about confirming her in cabs in any other tin top series in any of today's news.
I know, I posted this announcement in another thread...
Old 30 Nov 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2592004)   #112
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess when we get to round 1 there will be 17 or 18 cars on the grid - 24 would be awesome...
Old 30 Nov 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2592017)   #113
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
How about this...

Conway eyes Mercedes GP race seat... From www.motorsport.com

Mercedes GP has signed Rosberg for next season but is yet to name the German's teammate.

"I've been working on my Indycar plans to stay in the series for next season, but this has certainly thrown a spanner in the works," Conway told Kent News.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 03:34 (Ref:2592093)   #114
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Didn't that Motorola deal end early?
Old 1 Dec 2009, 05:25 (Ref:2592112)   #115
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Didn't that Motorola deal end early?
Motorola pulled out for next year. As for 2009, back at the end of April, they sold the remainder of their 2009 contract to Boost Mobile with the stipulation of keeping thier logo on the car. Motorola makes phones for Boost Mobile. It was a win-win for both.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2592318)   #116
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that probably we will see cars 22/24 (depending on the races) next year...I have some questions:

- I'd like to see Bourdais...if not for the entire season, in your opinion is possibile to see Bourdais at Indy (in a Vision entry, for example)?

- I'd like also to see Hildebrand and Edwards, the Rahal Letterman Racing, De Ferran Motorsports...how many possibilities to see each of these?

- When can I see an italian driver in IndyCar?

PS: sorry for my english...I'm italian...
Old 4 Dec 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2594011)   #117
marcostraz
Veteran

An italian website published an article which claims that in few days Simona De Silvestro will announce his entry into Indycar, with Conquest or Coyne...what's true?
Old 4 Dec 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2594015)   #118
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
I think that probably we will see cars 22/24 (depending on the races) next year...I have some questions:

- I'd like to see Bourdais...if not for the entire season, in your opinion is possibile to see Bourdais at Indy (in a Vision entry, for example)?

- I'd like also to see Hildebrand and Edwards, the Rahal Letterman Racing, De Ferran Motorsports...how many possibilities to see each of these?

PS: sorry for my english...I'm italian...
When Alfa Romeo starts investing in it.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2594092)   #119
marcostraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
When Alfa Romeo starts investing in it.
I think so...but at this moment I don't see a young talent that can go over the ocean and race in Indycar...maybe if Alfa Romeo will push for an italian driver, I think this driver will be an "old" like Papis...because it's a strange thing, but in the last years the Italian manufacturers have not support so much Italian drivers (for example, Ferrari has lost the most talented young driver, Mirko Bortolotti, to the Red Bull)...
Old 4 Dec 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2594146)   #120
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
An italian website published an article which claims that in few days Simona De Silvestro will announce his entry into Indycar, with Conquest or Coyne...what's true?
Simona is a chick
Old 4 Dec 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2594167)   #121
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think so...but at this moment I don't see a young talent that can go over the ocean and race in Indycar...maybe if Alfa Romeo will push for an italian driver, I think this driver will be an "old" like Papis...because it's a strange thing, but in the last years the Italian manufacturers have not support so much Italian drivers (for example, Ferrari has lost the most talented young driver, Mirko Bortolotti, to the Red Bull)...
I think you misunderstood. Not just a driver, but the actual series, like Honda has done.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2594175)   #122
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I guess it depends on how fat Simona's wallet is, because AFAIK, she doesn't have any oval experience whatsoever, does she?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Dec 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2594207)   #123
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I don't think we'll see Bourdais. There's no room for him, and he seems very happy doing Superleague Formula with part-time sports car racing. He called it the best alternative to F1, so I don't think he wants to be in the IRL.

As for an Italian, I'm not sure. With Scuderia Ferrari, I'd say Italy's motor racing interests lie solely in F1 and there's just not a lot of interest in IndyCar. There are some promising young Italian racers who I'd like to see try IndyCar, but most appear to be content staying in Europe.

Quote:
I'm a fan of Simona's, she's an incredibly nice girl and a good racer, but I'm really surprised by this. She had stated earlier she had no interest in oval racing and was therefore looking to go to Europe. I'm sure at the time she was assuming she'd win the Atlantics title, get paid the $1,000,000, and buy a ride in GP3 or F2. She didn't win, and she didn't get paid. So I guess she'll take what she can get.

Quote:
I guess it depends on how fat Simona's wallet is, because AFAIK, she doesn't have any oval experience whatsoever, does she?
She doesn't bring too much money, actually, so that makes it even more surprising and kind of unlikely. As far as oval experience goes, none that I know of, but that never seemed to be an issue for most. I think it's easier to learn ovals than to learn road courses. I'm not saying either are better or harder than the other, but stastically, I've found drivers with no oval experience to do much better on ovals quicker than guys with no roadie experience on roadies.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 21:58 (Ref:2594212)   #124
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Did some searching, found an article on RTL. There's a quote from Simona, who says there will be an announcement on December 10 and she will be racing a formula car in the USA. That's either IndyCar, Indy Lights, Atlantics, or Green Prix . http://tinyurl.com/yzwdez2

Also, this link suggests not only is Simona going to IRL, but her teammate Frankie Muniz is too! Do you think Team Stargate Worlds may be leaving Atlantics for IndyCar like Newman-Wachs might do? Who knows; they could align with Conquest who could use some funding. Muniz is a great personality in the paddock, and has improved greatly, but he's not the first guy I'd put in an IndyCar. http://tinyurl.com/ylxcmmk
Old 4 Dec 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2594252)   #125
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Sorry to triple post; too late to edit the last. Simona's announcement is December 10 and she can't say anything. Hmm. You know what else is December 10? The PRI Trade Show, and specifically, a demonstration of an all-electric Panoz DP01 campaigned by Green Prix. You can see the ad here; not my capture: http://i37.tinypic.com/2emorxk.jpg

Is that absolute crappy speculation based on nothing? Surely, especially because I was kidding when I first mentioned Green Prix last post. But it's fun to speculate. Simona never said it was IndyCar she was racing in. The plot thickens (it probably doesn't, actually, but...)