Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Jun 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2231844)   #101
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do the two pitlanes with starting grids in two different directions indicate that the GP circuit is anticlockwise and the short circuit is clockwise?

Using two hairpins with the straights placed relatively close to each other on both sides as a main feature of a circuit is another bold conceptual move that sets this track apart. Even though it might not be loved by every driver, I think it works well.
In my edit, I'd pick the pitlane at the bottom of the track diagram, but would opt to run the track in clockwise direction, so the hairpin to the left side of the track is Turn 1. Next, counting corners onwards from there, I'd cut out the section from the right-hander Turn 3 by going straight on and rejoining the circuit at what would have been Turn 6.
This way, I guess the circuit would be fun.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 04:04 (Ref:2232352)   #102
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just noticed that I just did the 100th post on my thread!!!! ALL RIGHT!!!

Oh, and Yannick, bold and conceptual sounds good, well to me it does. If you've done an edit on Prague, you can put it on here cos I'd love to see it. As I've mentioned b4, edits on my thread are more than welcome.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2233886)   #103
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Aalborg

Time to get Denmark in on the act with a new track outside of Aalborg. Too bad TR isn't here anymore because it's be interesting to know what he had to say about a track in Denmark. A couple of parts may be a bit stoppy-starty and I put the pitlane on the wrong side of the track AGAIN, but I like it. More importantly, what do the masses think of it. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Aalborg.jpg  
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2233932)   #104
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again, would be good to have some more detailed stock of info - like track length. There might be some runoff issue at the end part of the S/F. As for the whole, I like the general shape of the track. Also, the ratio of the speedy and technical parts seem very well balanced here. You got at least 3 overtaking points - another virtual smiley.

I'd smoothen - broaden - some of the corners to allow smoother flow between the straights, but otherwise I think it's a very good one!
Old 21 Jun 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2234315)   #105
Yannick
Veteran

This is a very modern design, in a Tilke (but not necessarily TW) kind of way.
Yes, the pitlane is on the wrong side, but that is SBF's bit of dialogue, not mine ;-)
F1 aero designers would probably like the track. The Turn 4/5 combination should be widened from a 2nd gear chicane to some 3rd or 4th gear Esses, to make it more exciting and lose its dogleg character.
I'd pick the stadium section option at the exit of Turn 7, but bypass the section at the top left side of the design, for a longer straight, because I like fast tracks, and Turn 11, the corner at the top left, would be an overtaking opportunity, too, besides the two hairpins, obviously.
Spectators sitting on the left side of the stadium section should get a lot to see. Where can I get tickets?
Old 22 Jun 2008, 07:13 (Ref:2234478)   #106
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Sorry, Yannick, I'm not in the ticket business, or a scalper!

Thx for the compliments, both of you.

BTW Bio, I've finished your edit. I'll post it on my thread to be on the safe side.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2234549)   #107
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I guess you might post it to m thread - that's where it belongs, after all, isn't it?
Old 23 Jun 2008, 01:28 (Ref:2235317)   #108
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Your thread it is then. I'll put it on at school.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 04:16 (Ref:2239092)   #109
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
As you boys may or may not have noticed, I've changed my signature. When I heard it from Dave Chappelle's voice for the first time, it was just so hilarious to me.

But in the process, I got something called "Latest Reputation Received" from a forum host called Chunterer, which came with a comment, and 60 points in total. I didn't know what it meant, so I immediately sent a private message to Chunterer asking what it meant. I was wondering if any of you knew what it meant and could explain it to me, if I don't get a message back from him. I haven't been a member for 2 months and I still don't know many of the forum's wonders.

Edit: Almost forgot. Change in plans. When I post tracks. Since I got my hands on some good graph paper, I started to make detailed drawings of tracks I've previously posted on my thread. So instead of the intended tracks I went over with the marker pen, my new ones are only going to be in dark lead pencil, with colour coding for gravel traps, grandstands, pit and paddock area, medical areas and hill areas that are unseated. I got the idea from watching local AFL football in Perth because the grounds don't have large seated areas, just a highish, grassy hill with families watching the game.

BTW, Yannick's edit of my "Kawasaki" track is first up.

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 28 Jun 2008 at 04:24.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 06:41 (Ref:2239539)   #110
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I'm hoping that my 1st detailed track will be on here by tonight my time.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2239666)   #111
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I didn't get to finish the frustrating Paint stuffs yesterday, so I'm posting it now. I especially want to know what Yannnick thinks of the "souping up" as it were of the track he edited. Enjoy.

KEY
Green= Grandstands
Blue=Pit+Paddock area
Yellow=Gravel Traps (not Tilke-esque run-off sreas)
Red cross= Medical Centre
Brown= Hill area - unseated
Attached Thumbnails
Good Detailed Kawasaki - Yannick Edit.JPG  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 29 Jun 2008 at 12:47.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2239767)   #112
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Looks good, TW.

The only things I'd recommend is the relocation of the paddock and pitlane so it's on the right side and one more gravel trap at the end of the rightmost "finger" - especially since there's a stand there.

Do I gather you scanned in the original handdrawn pic and inverted it? This all-black sure looks good.

Good work and I like it.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2239866)   #113
Yannick
Veteran

That's an interesting color scheme you've got going on there!
Old 30 Jun 2008, 02:00 (Ref:2240143)   #114
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Bio

To be perfectly honest with you, I accidentally stumbled upon inverting the background. It looks cool doesn't it! It makes the pencil easier to see. I'll be making sure ALL of my tracks from now onwards are inverted. And I will be putting in a gravel trap "at the end of the rightmost 'finger.'" If I can make it fit.

Yannick, thx for the compliment. I'll be sure that that colour scheme will be applied to ALL of my tracks from now onwards.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 07:10 (Ref:2240206)   #115
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Because the School Holidays are coming up starting on the weekend, I'm hoping to post quite a few more tracks than just the 1 or 2 on the weekends. Post 250 Now I can get an avatar!!!!! Party!!
Old 2 Jul 2008, 05:45 (Ref:2241969)   #116
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Could someone pretty please respond to post #109 on this page because the meaning of "Latest Reputation Received" still eludes me.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2242011)   #117
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is something to do with the rep system (i.e. the scales in the top corner), which means that people can approve or disapprove of a post, which adds to your reputaion on the forums. That's all
Old 3 Jul 2008, 04:07 (Ref:2242773)   #118
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Oooh, thx Tathrim.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 06:21 (Ref:2244950)   #119
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Here's the edit with the added gravel trap.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Detailed Kawasaki - Yannick Edit.JPG  
Old 6 Jul 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2245147)   #120
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
It's a little early for this next addition, but this is my best design to date. I couldn't think of a name, so I called it "Ya Little Rippa". (If you don't know, it's Australian slang.)

The design I've posted isn't the original design as I've had to change it a bit to avoid criticism. The scale when I drew it was 1cm=100 metres. The grandstands and gravel traps may not be to scale. The blue Pit&Paddock Area up top indicates the main P&P area and main straight for the proper Grand Prix Circuit. Since this is a figure-of-eight, I wanted to avoid the whole impossibleoverpass/underpassbadidea-gate with my last rather ambitious figure-of-eight. Enjoy. I know I did when I created it!
Attached Thumbnails
Detailed Ya Little Rippa!.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 6 Jul 2008 at 11:21.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2245396)   #121
bio
Veteran

Hungary
What's the overall length?

And those light blue lines - are they bridges? If so, you're gonna get yours for it from werner - the top one leading over a gravle pit and the second one blocking a lot of view ))

Kidding, I like the overall shape of it - m only issue with t being the overall length - with it's 2 more-than-a-kilometer straigths.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2245455)   #122
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's an interesting shape, but I agree that it's going to be huge. With the 1,000+ and 1,200+ straights and what must be close to 1,400m with only a kink (without a gravel trap !!! ) on the cross over section.
So that's about 3.7km before you start adding the twistly bits...and as I've discovered from using sketchup, the twisty bits are actually a lot longer than you might think.
I'd put the whole thing at over 8km, maybe nearer to 9km.

I'd hazard a guess that using the top Pitlane, the light blue markers indicate where sector times would be taken from.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2245710)   #123
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Aha. That makes sense.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2245977)   #124
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I was gonna explain the sector split lines if no-one else did.

SBF, I think BIG!!! I figured that the track runs pretty close to itself in some places, and was initially worried about space for the pit areas, so I came up with a simple scale. I also wanted the 2 main straights to be over 1km long. I used the scale to determine the mength of the straights, indicated the given lengths AutoCAD style, but couldn't work out the length of the whole track. I don't have the brains or the equipment at my disposal to assertain that. 8-9 kms would make a decent sized endurance circuit, bit like your "topo" track you posted recently. Thx for the good words both of you. Hope others take a look and comment on it too.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2264211)   #125
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I'm trying to post something I created a couple of days ago at school when I had nothing to do. I couldn't get into Go Advanced on my home computer and I'm going to see if it works here instead. It's not too detailed though cos I didn't have time to be doing detailed stuffs like grandstands and what not. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
school track 1.JPG