Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Feb 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2401973)   #101
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not my favorite of your works (its hard to get any better than Grindelwald) but it is still a great track that presents a huge challenge to drivers. The uphill sequence 5, 6, 7, and 8 is just fantastic. My other favorite turn is the increasing radius carousel that is turn 13. Once again a great track. Keep it up Stig.
Old 28 Feb 2009, 05:59 (Ref:2405896)   #102
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, the tribute to "The Professor" is just fine. Great stuff Stiggy.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2414004)   #103
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Untitled Park

I'm all out of naming ideas

I think out of all of my designs, this one is the most realistic and has the best chance of actually being built. I took scale into consideration more so this time (particularly the size of the runoff area in relation to the track itself).

- 2.9 Miles
- Counterclockwise
- 18 Turns
- 8 Turns (Club Circuit)

There's a decent amount of elevation change in the first half of the track. Turns 3 and 4 are steeply uphill. The section from turn 5 down to the turn 8 hairpin is gradually moving downhill. The rest of the track onto the start/finish straight is flat.
Attached Thumbnails
2009-03-11-1505-28_edited.jpg  
Old 12 Mar 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2414603)   #104
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
First off thank you for FINALLY reviving this forum. Everything has been sooo dead lately. Concerning the though, I love it. It reminds me of the old configuration of the nurburgring GP circuit, except better. Nice work.

Ok so now it's somebody else's turn to post.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2421869)   #105
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
OK then, I love it (When do I never love your stuff!)

Recently, I haven't felt very motivated to be working on new tracks and scanning. I might do some tomorrow morning cos I only have a 4hr shift in the arvo.

It's another one of those ghost town periods we go through, but it will pick up soon, hopefully.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 23:36 (Ref:2451885)   #106
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Grand Touring Motorsports Park

-2.7 miles
-Clockwise
-17 Turns

Turn 2 is a steep downhill corner. The section from turn 4 to 8 is also downhill. After the crossover, turn 9 increases in elevation. The fast 10, 11, 12 chicane moves uphill as well. The track gradually flattens out to meet the start/finish straight.\

Rotation Sorted ...SBF
Attached Thumbnails
2009-04-28-1912-40.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 29 Apr 2009 at 00:16.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2452747)   #107
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The layout, well I do have a thing for Cross-over designs, so I don't have a problem with that.
The positioning of T8 so close to the bridge could be an issue though, as you have the run-off narrowing for the bridge rather than expanding for safety.

I'm thinking that perhaps T5 could be another sweeper with the chicane moved around to before the bridge so that T8 would be the 3rd Apex of the chicane. this would eliminate the need for a lot of run-of.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2452987)   #108
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This one flows very nicely. Thank you for posting.

I agree with SBF in that Turn 8 has a runoff problem, colliding with the underpass. But SBF gives a nice solution for that.

There are other things in your drawing, though, that I consider a bit strange. The two footpassenger underpasses in the right half of the diagram, one after Turn 2 and the other after Turn 4, do they really need to tighten the corridor of the track in rectangular fashion? What would the guardrails look like for this? If it's not a drawing error, it's a safety problem.
And the other aspect that I find quite strangely is the shape of the main grandstand in Turn 17. It makes it appear as though you have switched around the running order of the track at the last minute.
What exactly is it that you want spectators to see when looking towards Turn 16 instead of at the start-finish straight with the pits, and shouldn't the runoff for Turn 17 be after the corner than besides it?
Moving the pits further towards the bridge would help fix this problem, but that might take away the kinked starting grid, which is clearly one of the goals you wanted to achieve with this track. So it's your decision.
And if you place the grandstands in Turn 1 and 2 on the outside rather than in the infield, it should be possible to get a better view across the track, in fact all over that half of the figure of 8 design.

I hope you like my suggestions to make this good design a better one.
Thanks for considering.
Old 1 May 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2453705)   #109
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Honestly, right after I finished this track I realized the overpass issue. I like your solution, SBF.

You make good points, Yannick. The pathway issue was just a design error - I tried to make it clear that it continued on the other side of the track without making it it look like a dead-end at the guardrail. As for the spectators at the start/finish straight, I had to put in a runoff area because of the kink in the middle, so I figured why not just put grandstands surrounding it? Looking back on it, it was a bad decision...
Old 1 May 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2453806)   #110
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your tracks always seem to have great natural flow to them and this one is no exception. This is something that hand drawn tracks can do that sketchup or other programs can't.

The only issues I have are those that have already been said. Good job!
Old 3 May 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2454404)   #111
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Another great track Stiggy, a great reason to come to ten-tenths. I've just been looking closely at GTMP and after scrutinising T13 & 14, I would change it to a double apex single corner, it's similar to Beausset, Paul Ricard (after Signes) and I would change the elevation so it's still downhill to the approach and the second part of the corner is going uphill to the flat last section.

I also noticed that there isn't much space for pit garages, the track isn't that long, so the S/F straight isn't that long and then there's a short pit lane and there isn't much space allocated for the garages. I'm guessing but is that because of the bow in the pit lane or is it mainly for club racing purposes? Kudos BTW.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2476655)   #112
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Zanardi Circuit

Named after the 1997 and 1998 CART world champion, one of the most inspirational people in racing today.

- 3.2 Miles
- Clockwise
- 20 Turns

Turn 1 is a sharp hairpin and a great overtaking zone. Turns 2 and 3 extend uphill onto the short back straight. Turn 4 is a flat corner that isn't really fast or slow, and it leads into turn 5 which is a quick uphill kink. Turns 6 and 7 form a chicane, followed by turn 8 and the overpass. Turn 9 requires a lot of braking and is another overtaking zone. Turns 10, 11, and 12 are all downhill and can be taken quickly with a little bravery. Next are turns 13 and 14 in quick succession, and then the slowest, tightest section of the track - turns 15, 16 and 17. It's flat out from there into the sweeping turn 18, crossing back under again, and then into the fast turn 19-20 chicane.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
2009-06-06-1614-33_edited.jpg  
Old 7 Jun 2009, 10:27 (Ref:2476868)   #113
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Another fitting tribute track from Stiggy! Don't know that much about Zanardi apart from losing his legs in that horrible crash and he races in the WTCC. I also remember he completed the laps he would've had remaining in his IndyCar once he could drive again. I found that.....(I don't know what I think of it.).
Old 8 Jun 2009, 04:23 (Ref:2477386)   #114
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Major thumbs up on this one no issues at all here. I especially love the section from turn 9 until the end. And of course I love the name you chose for it. Nice job.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 04:49 (Ref:2488029)   #115
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I would've thought that more people would've had their say on this one by now, nearly a fortnight since the last comment.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2488816)   #116
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allow me.

I like it. Zanardi is, of course, a legend! And the track looks a lot of fun. Maybe the new FOTA series could run on it.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2500340)   #117
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Sandhill Park

Unlike most of the other tracks I design, which are made specifically for this forum, this one is about two years old. I decided to bring it up to date and make a few changes. Most notably I took away some of the slower sections, changed up the start/finish straight, and made more opportunities for overtaking. I posted both versions, the original and the revised below. Let me know which one you guys prefer. The original is in black and white.

It's worth nothing that the original runs clockwise and has 25 turns, while the newer version runs counterclockwise and has 23. Also I apologize that the original isn't detailed at all - I didn't add grandstands or runoff areas, there isn't even a pit road.

EDIT: Forgot to add length. Let's say 3.8 miles for both.

Comments and criticisms are welcome as always.
Attached Thumbnails
2009-07-12-1532-31.jpg   2009-07-12-1603-27.jpg  
Old 13 Jul 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2500523)   #118
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Very nice work. I see you've been at this business for a while!
Old 13 Jul 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2500566)   #119
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite part is the first one, the start-T14 section. That would, IMHO, be a classic racing scene.
I think the new one is really better, more fluent. Congrats!

bio

PS: are there any altitude variations?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2500622)   #120
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
You did it again!! My fav part is T19-23, very ballsy-fast section. You should show off some of your older designs because I think they would make for really good viewing.

Dunno why but I can see T8-14 going uphill Bathurst style.
Old 2 Feb 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2824775)   #121
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Hey, it's been awhile. I'm gonna try and get back into track designing on a consistent basis. In the past I hand drew them which was pretty tedious and didn't always yield good results (and most of the reason I gave up haha), so I've changed over to SketchUp. I'm pretty sure I already used this name for one of my circuits before, but whatever.

Let me know what you think!

Old 2 Feb 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2824782)   #122
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
the overall shape is quite pretty! I guess this one would work quite well.

It would be good to have some data - most of all track length and elevation. Quite some of the corners would work awesome with a certain radius but much less at other radii, for example.

There are thwo things I think could be made better:

- T12 - I think that corner is rather a nuisence this way than a good corner - I would definitely bring it back lower, closer to T11.

- The pit entry - it seems to be right on a gravel trap - I mean where the gravel trap for T18 is presumed to be. I think it would make perfect sense to bring it after T19.

Still, I like this one a lot!

bio
Old 2 Feb 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2824785)   #123
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Stig, I think that first image is angled significantly, and it would really help determining the overall layout more clearly if you could provide a more directly overhead view of the course.

From what I can tell though, I like those opening esses. I'm not keen on the back stretch chicane, but then again, I'm not very keen about most chicanes. For that final complex, I'd either move T18-19 closer to Turn 17, so the cars can't get much of a head of steam up before those final two turns. This would, of course, lengthen the pit straight a bit. The other option in my mind is to move Turn 17 a bit further along, to give a longer run into it, and then have a gentle curve coming off the finish the run onto the pit straight proper.

I think I like the overall plan form shape, but like I said, it would help to have a move direct overhead view to determine that conclusively.

Glad to see you return, and I look forward to more of your efforts.
Old 2 Feb 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2824790)   #124
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
@ bio: Yeah T12 isn't very friendly, if I could make the track again I would probably reprofile that section. As for the pit entrance, I was aiming for something similar to the setup at Istanbul Park. Although I believe the straight before the final corner there is a little longer, so it works better than my arrangement.

@ Purist: Nope, you're looking at an overhead view haha. And I couldn't figure out how I felt about that T7-8 chicane, so I made it optional.

Thanks!
Old 2 Feb 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2824822)   #125
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Okay, just something about the image was making me think it was overhead but at an angle.

The one other thing that catches my attention is Turns 11 and 12, which seem a bit out of place the way they are. Loosening them some, especially T11, would help there, and since it would be only reducing it to 100 degrees at most in my mind, that should still keep the overtaking potential there.

If you don't use the chicane, Turn 10 must be a real blast!