Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Nov 2008, 02:16 (Ref:2342545)   #101
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Given that DJR has taken to running auctions for race-used panels (usually damaged) as taken from one of their Falcons... I wonder if Mr Courtney is going to be cash flow positive in this regard... selling every damaged panel needed during the SBR relationship, they could very nearly buy a whole new chassis

The F1 thing is pretty funny, even if its inaccurate.

A million dollars is way too much for a bloke that has won one race. I'll say it again: so much for this so-called economic crisis.

Last edited by RotorFan; 27 Nov 2008 at 02:19.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 03:12 (Ref:2343089)   #102
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
If you are looking for credibility to pat yourself on the back with, I would suggest that the 2 above comments might not be the best of offerings, as both of them are complete garbage.
Maybe it was because I was young and not paying a great deal of attention, but, I do recall Brocky retiring an aweful lot at Bathurst towards the end of his career. I may well be wrong. And, out of curiosity, how many years DID JC stay in Italy **** farting around with Go karts? Maybe not 6, But definately 2 or more. Ive said all Im going to say about JC, I stand by what Ive said. The boy is overated. However, Im happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited by Woolley; 28 Nov 2008 at 13:58.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 03:22 (Ref:2343095)   #103
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
I may well be wrong. And, out of curiosity, how many years DID JC stay in Italy pi$$ farting around with Go karts? Maybe not 6, But definately 2 or more.
P*** farting around with go-karts...!?!?

He was the world junior and world senior go-karting champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 Nov 2008, 03:24 (Ref:2343096)   #104
dazza027
Racer

Geez you guys are easy to stir...
Old 28 Nov 2008, 03:29 (Ref:2343099)   #105
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, you have made so many idiotic comments that it's hard to tell if you are simply being stupid or geeing up.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 04:50 (Ref:2343107)   #106
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sunday Tasmanian quoted Dick Johson as saying he as a team would never pay a driver a million dollars.

One thing in Coutrney's favour he his a very marketable commodity through his appearance on Dancing With the Stars and other Channel 7 appearnces.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 05:19 (Ref:2343108)   #107
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
He was the world junior and world senior go-karting champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Credit for those titles, but that doesn't exactly entitle him to a massive pay packet. Thats like walking into a Doctors surgery and seeing all there medical degree's hanging on his wall and thinking he/she is a good doctor, but when in reality they've spent more time learning, than practicing and treating people. Its how good they treat you at the time thats going to make up your mind about how good they are. Same with James, what's he done to date, because that's what they judge you by. Just look at Garry Rogers and his recent spree of sackings.....

Speaking of which when was the last time he won a championship of any sort??
Old 28 Nov 2008, 06:00 (Ref:2343112)   #108
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Well, you have made so many idiotic comments that it's hard to tell if you are simply being stupid or geeing up.
mac, its good to be passionate but watch your blood pressure...

Dazza, I think 9 Bathursts + a 24hr win speaks for itself. I am sure Holden would not have given a stuff if he destroyed everything he drove with results like that.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2343561)   #109
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Credit for those titles, but that doesn't exactly entitle him to a massive pay packet.
Please pull your head out of wherever it is and pay attention. I never said it was - I was merely responding to Dazza's claim that James was only p***farting around in Europe in go-karts.

Quote:
Speaking of which when was the last time he won a championship of any sort??
Japanese Formula Three in 2003.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2343614)   #110
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Please pull your head out of wherever it is and pay attention.
Now that's what I call chillin...
Old 29 Nov 2008, 00:38 (Ref:2343624)   #111
dazza027
Racer

Geez mac, relax will ya ya big dummy. Im sorry I ever even thought JC was a mediocre driver, if you like, pay him as much as he wants, and pay yourself as much as you want too if it makes you feel better. Please just relax, and ffs have a bit of fun, lifes too short to be so god damn serious.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 01:34 (Ref:2343646)   #112
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Credit for those titles, but that doesn't exactly entitle him to a massive pay packet.
What exactly "entitles" one to a massive pay packet, denosaur.

In all honesty, Courtney is most likely the best driver in the current field. Better than Ambrose aswell (pity we never saw them compete in the same car at the same time).

6th in the championship currently for a car that isnt front runner is not too bad at all.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 02:03 (Ref:2343655)   #113
dazza027
Racer

Im a little perplexed here, what makes you guys say that the car is a heap of ****? Which chassis is it? Is it either of the championship winning cars or is it a fresher one? Dont Stones build the best ford powerplants and have deals with several teams to supply these engines? If you say that the car is a heap of **** and courtney is carrying it, then what about junior johnson? His is the oldest car on the grid as far as I know, and in being that, it is hardly state of the art, but amazingly it is REGULARLY in the the top ten, and more often than not ahead of courtney. In my books, and simple logic, that makes Junior a better driver than courtney.
And before one of the 'tards in here picks on the bit about Johnson being ahead of courtney and it being only sometimes or all the time or never, even if hes behind him but in the top half of the field, I think my statement stands. Oldest car, still higher than 15th, what are the rest of those dummies doing wrong? Because that car has no right to be as fast as it is.

Last edited by dazza027; 29 Nov 2008 at 02:06.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 02:23 (Ref:2343665)   #114
Troy
Racer

Troy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
In all honesty, Courtney is most likely the best driver in the current field.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 03:19 (Ref:2343676)   #115
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
What exactly "entitles" one to a massive pay packet, denosaur.

In all honesty, Courtney is most likely the best driver in the current field. Better than Ambrose aswell (pity we never saw them compete in the same car at the same time).
For a change we kind of agree... But to say that Courtney is better than Ambrose??? You are drawing a hell of a long bow there (Thats a nice way of me saying cods...). Fact is there has been plenty said about all the talent that has left Stones since Ambrose departed and that is what has hurt their performances. I can let you in on a little secret; the biggest loss was Ambrose, particularly in the development and set up of the 4 and 9 cars.

He has uncanny car understanding and feel which was huge in the development of the cars because of his feed back and input. Ross and Jimmy are 2 of the smartest guys in pit lane and nothing much has changed except for the light bulbs in the seat.

Courtney, in his defense was a newbie to Supercars when he arrived with a team mate who could drive but not the set up tune guy his old team mate was. Courtney is a racer and fast but Ambrose is fast and technically savvy, if they were team mates, my money would be on the Tasmanian...
Old 29 Nov 2008, 03:56 (Ref:2343679)   #116
dazza027
Racer

I agree bazil.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 05:15 (Ref:2343685)   #117
rocks harder
Rookie

Denmark
sunny coast
rocks harder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
courtney hasnt lived up to his hype for me considering what he did in europe. for whatever reason i dont think weve seen the best of him yet. maybe a change of teams will do him good. but he aint worth a million dollars, no v8 driver is.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 05:56 (Ref:2343688)   #118
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Looks happy here....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Nov 2008, 00:27 (Ref:2344051)   #119
dazza027
Racer

I wonder if he has read this and thought ' **** you all you *******s'...
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2344318)   #120
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In all honesty, Courtney is most likely the best driver in the current field.
More like the Anna Kournikova of V8's
Old 30 Nov 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2344467)   #121
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
More like the Anna Kournikova of V8's
EXACTLY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Please pull your head out of wherever it is and pay attention. I never said it was - I was merely responding to Dazza's claim that James was only p***farting around in Europe in go-karts.
You know what they say about throwing stones in glass houses?? You have previously said that his CV should entitle him to such deals and make him such a good driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Japanese Formula Three in 2003.
It's been 5 years since then, a long time between championships for such a talented driver that your making him out to be. He may have won some races between now and then, but championships, and more so probably Bathurst win's, are what good drivers are remembered for. Unless your name is David Thexton......

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T
What exactly "entitles" one to a massive pay packet
On track performance, simple. In this case with James, we have to factor in that he wouldn't have left JGTC to race Supercars if the money wasn't the same or better than what he was getting there. That "price tag" you build up over you career with your results, which he has, but now we are questioning that price tag at this point in his career, when he has only won 1 race in the category. I think in the corporate world they call that "KPI's", and I'm sure my boss wouldn't pay me what he does if I didn't meet or better my KPI's for the financial year.

James probably still has a good couple of years in his career to succeed, but if he doesn't start to show his talents on track and win something more than one race or one round, he's going to not only price himself out of the market but lose his job.

I prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for 2009. But if the results don't start appearing on the board, then my opinion will stay the same.

Last edited by Denosaur; 30 Nov 2008 at 22:26.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2344479)   #122
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what do you all think he IS worth then? If you're running a team, how much would you pay him to drive one of your cars? Seriously. if Whincup is reportedly signed on for 600K a year, what is James Courtney worth, taking into account driving ability, sponsorship savvyness (is that a word?) and publicity generation, what is Courtney worth?
Old 1 Dec 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2344553)   #123
mac
Veteran

Quote:
You know what they say about throwing stones in glass houses?? You have previously said that his CV should entitle him to such deals...
Actually "Deno", I never said that. I merely said that his CV propogated (look in the Macquarie) the alleged "hype" that surrounded his arrival, and is what helps make him so sought after.

It also shows that he is tremendously capable, despite what some of you seem to think. Though, for those that see V8s as the centre of the motorsport universe, I guess that would be difficult to comprehend.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 01:41 (Ref:2344576)   #124
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do think some are blowing the situation fairly out of proportion here. Yes he has only won 1 race in his 5 litre career, sure he and others thought he would have more initial success.

That said, he's 6th in the championship. Trailing two 888 cars, a FPR, HRT cars and Davison. Its hardly an embarrassment. A bit of perspective or is this a jealousy thing?

If we are going to aim up Courtney for his earning potential, why not line up Lowdnes and Steven Richards as well when considering the pay packets they are on.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2344578)   #125
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Actually "Deno", I never said that. I merely said that his CV propogated (look in the Macquarie) the alleged "hype" that surrounded his arrival, and is what helps make him so sought after.

It also shows that he is tremendously capable, despite what some of you seem to think. Though, for those that see V8s as the centre of the motorsport universe, I guess that would be difficult to comprehend.
Way to support your argument mac!

This ****s me to tears, yes the V8's are my favourite form of motorsport so therefore my (or this case others) opinion doesn't count ? You have to be an elite F1 following, cheese & wine type to have an opinion on a driver's ability ?? BS!!

I agree that some here are selling James' obvious talents short but then his recent results do somewhat speak for themselves. 1 x race win does not showcase his talent and even you, as an obvious fan of JC's, would have to be disappointed with that.

Having said the above, IMHO good luck to James if he can earn the coin ! He always seems happy & approachable. Maybe a few of the other drivers (with more results on the board) need to adopt that attitude & they may get a little more backing.