Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Dec 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2348388)   #101
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
John try to control this fetish of yours. AFAIK Jerry was christened JerryK.
No no no no, jerryK is definitely a made up name but as he owns a 'B' he can't reveal his true identity on here.
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2348391)   #102
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My real name is Ron. I think,if I were in your position John,I would be looking at racing a DB2/DB4 out of choice,obviously they would need to be as bent as hell to keep up with the E-Types.

Last edited by terence; 5 Dec 2008 at 20:05.
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2348394)   #103
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
One B at Sebring.The two superstars,FT and Peter would not have approved.
It was a tad overdone

Best thing of day.This car is sponsored by 'Big Dick's,Auto Lube'

You can't make it up
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2348398)   #104
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Terrance would they have a B if they had funds to have another type of more expensive car and funds to run it.True thoughful answers only
If they had raced one probably they would. I was going to tell you the cars i currently own John but it feels wrong to have to justify owning a great British car . As for my name well it Jerry Knight so how is Jerryk hiding anything?
less grumpy pills John.
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2348413)   #105
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the thread has gone a bit off track but if I can add my ten penneth worth I would admit that B's do give excellant bang for your buck. As the recession deepens I think that more racers with a limited budget will have to either mothball their "better" cars or "downgrade" to cars like a B to continue competing.
At the risk of contradicting what I have just said I would say that a sportsracer (once you have sorted it) is probably as cheap to run as it was built for racing rather. The downside is that a B can actually do more racing!
JR - I would be interested to know if the Sebring meeting is significantly down on last year as this is probably the first historic since the recession is finally recognized by all.......
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2348419)   #106
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk
If they had raced one probably they would. I was going to tell you the cars i currently own John but it feels wrong to have to justify owning a great British car . As for my name well it Jerry Knight so how is Jerryk hiding anything?
less grumpy pills John.

What,and have him lose ALL of his charisma!!
Old 5 Dec 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2348449)   #107
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Sebring A few missing but as it was the club finals did not get a good overview.

The March meeting will show whats going on.Think it will be down.

Had AM's years ago including a 2/4 and thought they were not particularly good (that's me being diplomatic)
Well done Jerry and agree B is a good car to do things with and nobody needs to justify anything on this site.Its just that every thread ends up discussing B's,Down Tiger and I can do the grumpy old man bit to perfection.
Old 5 Dec 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2348523)   #108
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And who are the usual thread turners,cos it aint me!
Old 6 Dec 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2348582)   #109
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Dec 2008, 07:08 (Ref:2348634)   #110
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
the thread has gone a bit off track but if I can add my ten penneth worth I would admit that B's do give excellant bang for your buck. As the recession deepens I think that more racers with a limited budget will have to either mothball their "better" cars or "downgrade" to cars like a B to continue competing.
At the risk of contradicting what I have just said I would say that a sportsracer (once you have sorted it) is probably as cheap to run as it was built for racing rather. The downside is that a B can actually do more racing!
JR - I would be interested to know if the Sebring meeting is significantly down on last year as this is probably the first historic since the recession is finally recognized by all.......
As I have a bit of savings that now earns no interest I was thinking of getting a B so I could do a bit of hysteric racing, does that mean I'd be upgrading or just going slower?
Old 6 Dec 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2348669)   #111
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Depends on your point of veiw Tim,with a B [pre 65] its the affordable way of doing FIA events.As for slower,thats up to you.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2348685)   #112
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I'm sure I wouldn't be alone as a newcomer to the sport in being curious to hear what the "old hands" have to say" ]

"Follow Me"
Old 6 Dec 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2348689)   #113
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Again way off topic but rebuilding the MGB we have in workshop has been a joy as i can buy all parts easily and Terrance is on hand for advice at the end of the phone.We have been involved running and rebuilding Italian FJ cars and you cant buy anything of the shelf so its all bespoke which is time consuming and expensive. Recently i have made a great Italian contact for sourcing parts she is all so very attractive and races FJ's. Her English is good and funny as this year at the Classic she wanted to come in my awning and use my tools for the weekend."was lost for words"
JR please excuse my ignorance but what cars do you own and race.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2348700)   #114
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Good to see that some-one appreciates the advice Iain.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2348711)   #115
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Good to see that some-one appreciates the advice Iain.

Shame Healeys are'nt as popular as Bs!
Old 6 Dec 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2348803)   #116
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simon, this thread has gone more than a bit off topic. In fact some of this seems like a reprise from one or two others that we have had recently, or is that my imagination?

Just a couple of points raised by John. He admits to being our resident grumps but is actually much nicer than he makes out, but, John, we have had the discussion about usernames and whilst many would agree with you, can we leave it now since I don't want people to drop out or not join simply because for whatever reasons they don't want to be identified.

However, this really concerns me:-

Quote:
...... especially as people are using two different names on this site to wind things and people up. Awful.
We have ways of picking this up, and are normally quick to spot this. It is a breach of our rules, so if anyone has evidence of people who are doing this, please PM me, or the particular mod concerned with the forum in which this is happening. You should have no qualms about letting us know, because it is a pathetic practice.

Now, back to the 'Do's and Don'ts' of track etiquette, please.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2348853)   #117
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thinking back on John Ruston's comments about the difference between the circuits and regularities, what about the circuit stages on regularities? In these cases there are always the much quicker drivers who are sticking to a "racing line" to be aware of. But the case being that a regularity on a circuit is in no way a race, to me it's a bit grey as to how to enjoy and not get in the way. There's the obvious (observe the marshalls, mirrors, courtesy hand signals) but otherwise? Again, this is only regarding the circuit stages, not the road sections of course.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2348865)   #118
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Usually the much quicker drivers are not doing a regularity but being make believe race drivers who can't be bothered to get a race licence or buy PJ's.They have no business being in the regularity and its not worth worrying about them.The regularity lines are different to most race lines as the trick is to keep to a time to speed.I covered this earlier in the thread.Equally a regularity driver who virtually stops at the the timing line is extremely dangerous and should be thrown out and the organisers need to address this.It does not happen on Tour Auto or Espania but some of the others are very lax.Remember the regularity boys pay the same as the competition so should be allowed their competition without hooligan drivers getting involved
Old 6 Dec 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2348872)   #119
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Post 113.Answer .I have raced and still occasionally do and have race cars.Whats it got to with this or any other thread defeats me.This web site is a frank exchange of views by enthusiasts (and me).
Old 6 Dec 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2348982)   #120
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think delta (who we do know, by the way - no secret!) is genuinely interested, John. I don't think there was a hidden agenda although I stand to be corrected. And whilst I know that your tongue was firmly in cheek when you said it, I can confirm to others, having seen your cars, that they are the cars of a true enthusiast.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2348987)   #121
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Usually the much quicker drivers are not doing a regularity but being make believe race drivers who can't be bothered to get a race licence or buy PJ's.They have no business being in the regularity and its not worth worrying about them.
Interestingly, most of the aggressive drivers in the few events that I have done indeed HAD a licence and the PJ's and very fancy machinery, which led me being inexperienced to believe that their conduct was acceptable. I see now that was a naive assumption. But it's hard not to worry about them when they're breathing down your neck. No wonder then that whilst i drove home from these events, some of these guys got home in the passenger seat of a flatbed tow truck...
Old 6 Dec 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2348997)   #122
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Down Tiger and I can do the grumpy old man bit to perfection.
Are there any 'grumpy old men' on this site? I never knew that!

Back to the thread (John T ) there's some very good points been made and advice given - and, if applied, could make driver's briefings redundant!
Old 6 Dec 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2349005)   #123
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Its Yellow Flags next week John,now,wheres Iain? Sorry JT.

Smokey,Although JR is far more experienced in Regularity than I,having only partaken in a few,I think you'll find that in general this type of competition is much more relaxed than racing.The whole point being that you set your own laptime and have to replicate it as near as possible,or the organisers will give a bogey time that you have to get as close as possible to.It can be fun,so I'm told.

Last edited by terence; 6 Dec 2008 at 16:58.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2349027)   #124
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In bigger events, with regularity and competition classes, you will usually find that you have separate circuit sessions from the comp boys (or girls), I usually find that it is easier to set a quick, but not flat out time, as it is easier to replicate your laps, i e keep about 10% for time corrections, otherwise, enjoy
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2349060)   #125
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
JR sent me a PM with all answers. Looking foward to meeting him next year. Thats cleared up now back to the banter.