Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Jun 2009, 06:50 (Ref:2473146)   #101
S_Morrell
Rookie

S_Morrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all
Its rare that I post messages on this board (it means I have to remember how to type) but I wanted to publicly thank all those involved in this incident. It was a significant shunt by any standards and involved marshals, medical teams and rescue crews in great numbers in order to extricate the two drivers involved.
I won't mention anything about the patients themselves but it was clear to all bystanders that this was not trivial. All the marshals I spoke to worked calmly and efficiently - initially checking out the scene, making it safe and getting the right help to the drivers promptly. Thanks also to Steve for meeting me on our arrival and telling me what happened (you're making too much of a habit of that for my liking though)

The help we got at the scene was excellent and (whether you know it or not), your actions helped stabilise the drivers quickly.

I'm sorry I didn't get chance to speak to those involved at the time but, as I hope you appreciate, we were a little busy. If anyone feels they have been affected by this incident or just have questions about what went on please let me know.

Anyway, thanks once again to all concerned for a job well done

Best regards
Simon Morrell
General dogsbody
Old 1 Jun 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2473152)   #102
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was the 2nd time this year i've seen you guys at work close hand, the first being the inverted F3 at the same point on the track - and the same IO in attendance! At the beginning of the day we were wondering where the hell to put all the marshals but when something like that happens it really helps especially with all the extra work that needs doing while the drivers are being attended.

Thanks again guys, i just hope the 750MC at Anglesey this weekend is going to be a little cooler and a lot quieter
Old 1 Jun 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2473163)   #103
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Morrell View Post
Simon Morrell
General dogsbody
I think Simon may be being a little modest here guys!
Whist I feel that ALL rescue Crews are worth their weight in gold (And That's A LOT of Bullion!) and come in for a lot of (Mainly good humoured) stick - they always do a stirling job!
Speaking as a Frontline A&E Ambulance Person, the way they perform their duties is no less professional than what we do for a salary!
Well done guys!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2473171)   #104
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
W... (The only blemish....I have no news on their condition...I believe the injured spectator didn't sustain anything serious). ...
If you mean the spectator at Hill Top he was fine. The two Clios V-dived into the tyre wall/banking with such force that a lorry tyre filled with earth was chucked 12 foot in the air right into the spectator area. It gave a sitting spectator a glancing blow and knocked him on the ground. Just bruising in the end but if the tyre had landed two feet either way ... Hmm. It took three of us to just lift it. Makes you think.

Quite an eventful day and hugely enjoyable. I second the comments re Rescue Crews and the fire crew and the OPs and Hooks. It's truly amazing how all this lot just slot together and get the job done so quickly.
Great team at Hill Top. Couldn't have asked for better work.
Phil
I/O
Old 1 Jun 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2473178)   #105
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
it was the 2nd time this year i've seen you guys at work close hand, the first being the inverted F3 at the same point on the track - and the same IO in attendance!
I was going to keep that quiet, people also remember the G50 (2008 F3/GT meeting) and the Clio destruction derby (2008 BTCC meeting) and that I was Avenue IO for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Morrell View Post
Thanks also to Steve for meeting me on our arrival and telling me what happened (you're making too much of a habit of that for my liking though
No problem, very pleased to be able to play my part when it all goes wrong…. Sorry it’s becoming a habit, it’s not me honest!!!

I know that myself and the Old Hall IO both debriefed our teams and thanked them at the time for their efforts, once again I would just like to publicly thank all the team on Avenue and Old Hall, as well as rescue, doctors, fire and recovery (not forgetting OP circuit staff). Everyone worked really well together.

Quote:
i just hope the 750MC at Anglesey this weekend is going to be a little cooler and a lot quieter
See you there!

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 1 Jun 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2473184)   #106
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the Rescue guys know just how much security and peace of mind they provide just by being there. Personally speaking, having that kind of back up takes away all the "what ifs" - because when the "what if" actually happens, as on the Avenue yesterday afternoon, you know what kind of support you have to hand. Simply magnificent effort all round.

Despite how much I like and appreciate the Rescue Crews, I would be far happier to see less of them in action than we did on Sunday
Old 1 Jun 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2473228)   #107
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd just like to say thankyou to all those i was with on deer leap. Had a cracking weekend (only my second time at oulton). Think that Claire would echo my thoughts on her first meeting at oulton.

laughs a minute, getting to know new people and alot of good humoured mickey taking, best time ive had so far this season
Old 1 Jun 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2473246)   #108
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Reminded me so much of what happened to Andy Neate at Silverstone last year.
I was down on Island so didn't see it happen in person, but when I saw the clip on youtube last night the very first think that came to mind was that it sounded exactly like that big smash. Richard Dean's (the other car involved in the startline crash at Silverstone) was a G50 as well wasn't it?
Old 1 Jun 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2473256)   #109
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, and its a habit i'd like them to stop. I think we've crash tested quiet enough of the things now!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2473261)   #110
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good weekend, great company on the post and on the campsite, bit to hot but cant really complain about that. big thanks to all on post for putting up with me.
and a massive well done to all who was up the ginetta crash. iam starting to think that steve roberts is doing something to cars when he is lurking around avenue.

on a plus note, think the fire car had a new driver.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14543184@N05/3585256198/

Last edited by gravel_monkey; 1 Jun 2009 at 10:52. Reason: pic wouldnt load
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2473329)   #111
Irvine6
Rookie

Irvine6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also had a great weekend, met loads of new people!

Not alot of incidents where i was realy but glad the weather was so nice!

Also glad i did the Fire training learnt alot from it
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2473338)   #112
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey View Post
on a plus note, think the fire car had a new driver.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14543184@N05/3585256198/
new meaning to the driver's quote 'monkeys at the back of the grid'
Old 1 Jun 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2473463)   #113
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I've sussed it. We have had two G50 T-bone crashes and both times I've had my cone on my head, so maybe I should "retire" the cone? Seems to bring bad luck to G50's.No?

Apart from that i passed my assesment for upgrade to experienced marshal so now I'm really gonna have to look like I know what I'm doin'!

Excellent weekend and we have found three very capable flag marshals, who not only made their own flags but a safety car board too! And waved them all in absolute syncronicity with ourselves on Deer Leap! Brilliant! They were all around 7-8 yrs old and we treated them to a quick visit to the flagging box for a quick photo op, just need to find the marshal who took the photos and get them to Eric Ridler for inclusion in next months "Outpost"

So who ever you are please PM me or get the pics to Eric and I'll try and tie up the story for the magazine.

Last edited by Justin Moran; 1 Jun 2009 at 16:04. Reason: A plea for photos!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2473465)   #114
Matt Sayle
Rookie

Matt Sayle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick on to say a HUGE well done to everyonre for marshalling this meeting. I was really hot in Tshirt and shorts, never mind what you guys were wearing.

Also, the way that you dealt with all the big accidents was really professional, effecient and just bloody amazing.

Well done Guys. Watching the G50 extraction from the sidelines, it was uncomfortable to see. I didnt know what I was watching (if that makes sense)

Also, OUCH to the spectator that got hit by the tire. Them things are bloody huge. Good god!!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2473472)   #115
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do Ginetta make a road car? If they did I think I'd buy one out of sheer respect!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2473476)   #116
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look at this article:
http://www.pistonheads.com/ginetta/d...?storyId=17918
Old 1 Jun 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2473477)   #117
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
Quiet day at Hill Top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewp_Q-4VRHQ
Old 1 Jun 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2473573)   #118
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QUOTE=Mark Mitchell;2472891]I think a HUGE "Well Done" needs to go to the Rescue Crews and medical teams for their efforts today........to the Recovery Guys who did a sterling job in often difficult situations........and the the Circuit Staff who worked tirelessly to make sure things were not running too far behind.

Great weather, great company at Cascades and not bad racing![/QUOTE]

I'd also like to add my thanks to the team on post, and all others connected, good teamwork and great response to the big accidents we had too (alhtough not as big as the G50's fortunately!)
H
PC
Old 1 Jun 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2473612)   #119
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a superb weekend, Really enjoyed my Marshalling and the camping, great to see new faces on deerleep, we had a great laugh both days, was great to see the girls down from Croft was a pleasure to work with you both (and Motorsportgirli's dad),

I know we have a laugh and joke on post but the GT50 incident really brings home how serious our job can be and there was a solem atmosphere on post for a while as it was going on. A big well done to all involved
Old 1 Jun 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2473638)   #120
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed the weekend on Avenue. Thanks to all of the team for helping me deal with the G50 incident (my first big one).
Well done to the Rescue Crews and Medics.
Hope both guys are OK.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2473640)   #121
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
I think I've sussed it. We have had two G50 T-bone crashes and both times I've had my cone on my head, so maybe I should "retire" the cone? Seems to bring bad luck to G50's.No?

Apart from that i passed my assesment for upgrade to experienced marshal so now I'm really gonna have to look like I know what I'm doin'!

Excellent weekend and we have found three very capable flag marshals, who not only made their own flags but a safety car board too! And waved them all in absolute syncronicity with ourselves on Deer Leap! Brilliant! They were all around 7-8 yrs old and we treated them to a quick visit to the flagging box for a quick photo op, just need to find the marshal who took the photos and get them to Eric Ridler for inclusion in next months "Outpost"

So who ever you are please PM me or get the pics to Eric and I'll try and tie up the story for the magazine.
well done mate on the upgrade
and regarding the hat yes it should retire
and those 3 young lads were brilliant
but what such a enjoyable both days
and its so pleasing to be a member of the marshaling world
Old 1 Jun 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2473695)   #122
Rich207
Rookie

England
Sheffield
Rich207 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Holmes View Post
Great time on Old Hall with all the guys, specially Richard(s) Flagging with me.

Couldn't agree more, thought he'd got away with it for a few seconds, then.......

I cannot stress enough my admiration for the rescue crew, we take the p*ss out of them for sitting on their bum, drinking tea, doing nothing (infact I did that very thing with Elliott that morning), but to see you in action on those Ginetta's was superb well done guys.
Thanks Darren, I think we made a good team between the three of us...

Comments I would like to make start with the how everybody dealt with the Ginetta G50 incident on Sunday... Flagging at Old Hall Out I saw the event unfold in what seemed slow motion and already had made my mind up that it was a "biggie" Massive praise to all who helped in what turned out to be a successful extraction of two drivers from the wreckage. GREAT JOB GUYS AND GIRLS

I would also like to praise the fact that I received personal feedback on the quality of flagging during the incident and throughout the day. As flaggies will know when an incident occurs like that you feel helpless as you must continue with your flagging rather than attending the scene ASAP. I have attended 30+ events now over two years and this is the first time I have received written feedback on my record card. Nice touch I thought on a day when we had many incidents around the circuit...... Praise to JOHN FRANCIS (Or maybe it’s just the first time I have done the job properly.....!) We were also checked upon on a number of occasions for all of the housekeeping items such as water and suncream

As it was my Birthday all my family came along and were also extremly impressed as they saw the whole incident. Thanks for a great day on my Birthday making me proud to be in Orange

Rich
Old 1 Jun 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2473697)   #123
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
*Can I Just Point Out?*

TEETH are Extracted
DRIVERS are Extricated

I'll start the car.........
Old 2 Jun 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2473839)   #124
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
*Can I Just Point Out?*

TEETH are Extracted
DRIVERS are Extricated

I'll start the car.........
Oooh, you can take your technical terms, and unstracticate them, and I think we *all* know what that means
Old 2 Jun 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2473871)   #125
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
TEETH are Extracted
DRIVERS are Extricated
Seems to be catching

http://www.ginettacars.com/news_details.php?id=95