Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Dec 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2598142)   #101
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like there is a revised 2010 calendar on FIAGT.com

http://www.fiagt.com/newsitem.php?key=2294
Old 11 Dec 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2598145)   #102
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Ask people what cars they dream of. Most of them will say Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini...despite that in general GT racing doesn't attract large crowds. So I don't agree with Ratel cars alone will attract fans and media.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2598150)   #103
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Ask people what cars they dream of. Most of them will say Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini...despite that in general GT racing doesn't attract large crowds. So I don't agree with Ratel cars alone will attract fans and media.
Ratel says there is brand name involvement rather than manufacturer involvement. With a bit of luck the manufacturers might still help with event promotion? That would certainly start attracting attention.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2598166)   #104
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Ratel says there is brand name involvement rather than manufacturer involvement. With a bit of luck the manufacturers might still help with event promotion? That would certainly start attracting attention.
The only possible one that might would be Nissan - really can't see much coming from the others.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2598169)   #105
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Looks like there is a revised 2010 calendar on FIAGT.com

http://www.fiagt.com/newsitem.php?key=2294
Surprise, surprise! No round of another World Championship for North America.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 21:58 (Ref:2598171)   #106
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Surprise, surprise! No round of another World Championship for North America.
So can you really call it a World Championship then???
Old 11 Dec 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2598178)   #107
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The F1 didn't visit North America nor Africa this year, so yes, a championship without North America nor Oceania can be called a world championship. It's sad, of course.

Btw, the Argentine date must be wrong. That's Turismo Carretera's final race at Buenos Aires (the top racing series of the contry). San Luis organisers can't be that stupid to have their international race the same day as them. The Turismo CompeticiĆ³n 2000 raced with the FIA GT in 2008, but its 2010 final two dates are on November 7 and 28, the same as FIA GT's Durban and Interlagos races.

Last edited by NaBUru38; 11 Dec 2009 at 22:22.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2598562)   #108
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've criticised the GT1WC for a lot of things such as stupid race lengths and grandfathering etc, but going by this latest calendar, they definitely have the tracks right. Interlagos, San Luis, Spa, Brno, Silverstone and Portimao are all great and Yas Marina and Nurburgring are hardly terrible.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2598631)   #109
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saleen in now
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-3081.html
Old 12 Dec 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2598645)   #110
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe, it will be homologate only for ACO races...
Old 13 Dec 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2598973)   #111
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does anyone know the location of the Durban race? The old A1GP course?
It should be slightly more comfortable in November than the A1 race was in Feb, but it will still be pretty hot and sticky. Especially in a closed car. Do they run aircon like at Le Mans?
Old 13 Dec 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2598983)   #112
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Saleen was homologated a while back
Old 14 Dec 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2599570)   #113
JayBMS
Racer

Italy
JayBMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gavin is out testing again at portimao I thunk with srt again, vitaphone also there
Old 14 Dec 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2599642)   #114
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
the Argentine date must be wrong. [... TC2000's] 2010 final two dates are on November 7 and 28, the same as FIA GT's Durban and Interlagos races.
The Turismo Carretera has races on October 31 (ParanĆ”), November 14 (la Plata) and December 5 (Buenos Aires). The Top Race has races on October 17 (La Rioja), November 21 (General Roca) and December 12 (ParanĆ”). The Turismo CompeticiĆ³n 2000 dates are October 24, November 7 and November 28, with venues to be confirmed.

There are no free weeks in the middle, so either the TC or the TRV6 changes one of the races to Potrero de los Funes (very unlikely), or the FIA GT1 Argentine and Brazilian dates swap dates.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2599651)   #115
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Or they just keep the dates.

The NĆ¼rburgring GT1-round is held at the same weekend as the Belgian GP at Spa, some 100 kilometers away... go figure.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2599658)   #116
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
But Argentina is all about politics, and if the date stays they (San Luis government and TC authorities) won't stop arguing and taking revenge to each other. That just shouldn't happen.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 02:35 (Ref:2600523)   #117
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I know it's off for 2010, but I'll give a Canadian rundown. Montreal is almost certainly out for the foreseeable future, unless the Nationwide Series pulls out of there, like they've done from Mexico City. Mosport or mont Tremblant seem like the best options.

Hard to say how Trois Rivieres would go. It is tight, but it does have three noticeable straights and decent enough pit and spectator facilities, not to mention it's popular locally. Toronto would definitely be a better bet as far as street circuits go. And yes, the Toronto circuit was changed for the 1996 season; Jeff Kronsof's fatal crash in 1996 had nothing to do with any course configuration changes. Edmonton would also be a suitable circuit, but of course the dates don't match up right now. I wonder if Pacific Place in Vancouver will be useable again after the Olympics.

I don't know that Calabogie has a long enough high-speed run given its lap length. The place certainly has precious few challenging, high-speed corners. Mission Raceway seems too short and tight. Race City would need facility upgrades, and a few walls pushed back. I'm not sure what the present state of Atlantic Motorsports Park is, but it seems a good layout that is long enough, and though the videos I've seen show minimal facilities, they still see fit to run Canadian Superbikes there.

As for Australia, despite the worries put forth in the other threads, the "upgrades" to Eastern Creek are an F1 contingent. I don't think they'd go to all that trouble, or need to, for the GT1 Championship to run there, though I'd personally prefer Philip Island for such an event.

I'm VERY glad that San Luis is back, and that the schedule has mostly excellent circuits on the whole. I do worry a bit about what Ratel sees as the European core once the series spreads out. I still think that a 12 to 13-race GT1 calendar should have five or six European events: Silverstone, Algarve, Spa, Hockenheim*, Monza, and Brno for instance. The rest could be Abu Dhabi (UAE), Suzuka (Japan), Philip Island (Australia), Potrero de los Funes (Argentina), Interlagos (Brazil), Mexico City* (Mexico), Road America (USA), and Mosport Park (Canada).

Something just occurred to me. Do we know if the GT1s are doing rolling starts, or are they maybe going to try and spice things up with a standing start format?

I think that presently the requirement is three continents for a "World Championship". If not, it's definitely four then. However, I personally think that minimum should be five continents. Of course, the problem there is it would put F1 in a bit of a bind, now wouldn't it, and we can't have now can we (dripping sarcasm here).

Last edited by Purist; 16 Dec 2009 at 02:41.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2600532)   #118
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Very happy to see San Luis back, thats a great circuit so to miss that would be very disappointing. As for Australia, I'm still hoping that some last minute race pops up for next year at Surfers Paradise, the state government are still looking around for an international category to headline the Indy event with V8 Supercars and my hope is it'll be FIA GT. If so I'll be there!
Old 16 Dec 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2600555)   #119
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
As for Australia, I'm still hoping that some last minute race pops up for next year at Surfers Paradise, the state government are still looking around for an international category to headline the Indy event with V8 Supercars and my hope is it'll be FIA GT. If so I'll be there!
This may not be entirely out of the question.
There's a gaping hole in the calendar around that date. I tend to think it's there for a reason.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2600585)   #120
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Until the asked sanction fee is reduced, you can forget Mosport or Mont Tremblant.

Calabogie isn't a spectator track.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2600873)   #121
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Wonder how Argentina is paying the sanction for San Luis then, if the fees are really that high.

Not GT1, but did anyone else notice that GT2 is heading to Enna-Pergusa for 2010? I hope that one doesn't turn into a wreck-fest with all those chicanes.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2601705)   #122
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I'm not sure what the present state of Atlantic Motorsports Park is, but it seems a good layout that is long enough, and though the videos I've seen show minimal facilities, they still see fit to run Canadian Superbikes there.
If there was ever any sort of power laid down on the poor pavement of AMP, the place would fall apart. I love the place since it's all we got for road racing in the maritimes, but it shall never hold any sort of "major" road race. There are no facilities, no seating, and I would think it is rather short for GT's.

The Superbike guys complain it's a hard place to get the power down, as there are a number of different types of pavements that are in place, and the tight nature of the layout. It's saving grace, is the fact that it's a party track, and I dare you to find any place that throws a party like the Saturday night of Superbike weekend.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2602398)   #123
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
As for Australia, I'm still hoping that some last minute race pops up for next year at Surfers Paradise, the state government are still looking around for an international category to headline the Indy event with V8 Supercars and my hope is it'll be FIA GT.
According to this week's Autosport, this looks distinctly possible:

Quote:
Provision has been left on the [FIA GT1] calendar for an 11th round to be added. This would be at Surfers Paradise.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2602609)   #124
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
According to this week's Autosport, this looks distinctly possible:
Whilst i'm hopeful, World Sportscar races have a bad record in Australia of being listed and 'proposed' on Series calendar's on many occasions, but all we've got to show for it were two races at Sandown (1984 & 1988) & one at Adelaide (2000)

Surfers Paradise (the original permanent circuit) was on the calendar for the WEC in 1985 and 1986
Eastern Creek was listed as the 1991 WSC opener
Adelaide was supposed to happen in 2001, but was cancelled mid-year
Old 20 Dec 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2602630)   #125
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The advantage Surfers Paradise has is that it doesn't have to an economic success as it did at the other tracks. It also won't have the V8 Supercar politics working against it as SP needs an international category.

What it needs is TV, date and an sanctioning fee/transport that is not outrageous and it fits the bill

I am hearing really positive things about the possibility of this happening