Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Jun 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2898973)   #101
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent idea Grant,now where's that e-mail address.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2899080)   #102
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Whoa, you are pushing the boat out a bit John. working until quarter past 11 before taking lunch!
Work? You mean someone is going to pay me for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
When we realized that beyond our wildest dreams we were in for a chance of winning the Turnstyle Trophy the game changed and I am afraid the last hour and a bit became a shameless pot hunting exercise!! My instructions to nurse the car and stay out of trouble
Very flattered that you should say that, Simon, but on a more rational level, it was a good call anyway, once you realised that against the odds a class win was possible. You have to go for it when the opportunity arises. However, the irony of you calling yourself a 'pot hunter' has not escaped me after some of your past posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
John & Andrew - thanks for the superb photographs and stories of the event - shame I didn't have more time to catch up with you both - but I'm sure you appreciate it was quite busy in RC most of the weekend! Terry
Likewise, Terry but I was aware how busy you'd be anyway, and no doubt catch up when there is a bit less pressure!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2899097)   #103
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 5 - Autosport 3 Hours - Into 3rd hour

At the end of the second hour the order was:-

1 - Fleming/Stevens - B8 - 51 laps
2 - Lovett/Hadfiled - B8 - 51 laps (2 mins behind)
3 - Shipman/Hales - Crossle 9S - 50 laps
4 - Hodges/Middlehurst - B8 - 49 laps
5 - Allison/Nelson - B8 - 49 laps
6 - Watson/Watts - Lotus Elan - 48 laps

Nick Fleming had finally pitted for the car's first pit stop during the second hour and Luke Stevens took over, during which time, Simon Hadfield's fine drive had brought him close enough to take the lead as Luke emerged from the pitlane. At the end of the lap Simon's lead was about 5 seconds, and I half expected a typical Luke Stevens charge to close the gap but such was Simon's pace that he continued to stretch the lead out. Luke played the team game - after only 10-15 minutes, the safety car was again deployed and quick thinking brought him straight back into the pits to hand back to Nick Fleming for their final pit stop, whilst the rest of the field had been slowed by the pace car. When Simon then handed over to Ed Lovett, Nick resumed the lead which was the best part of a lap over Ed. By this time, it seemed likely that barring accident or mechanical mishap the race was between these two cars. Note the fine 6th place of the Elan at this point, and also that the Hodges/Middlehurst B8 was beginning to make its presence felt on the leader board but its pace was not looking good enough to catch the Shipman/Hales Crossle which was now well established in 3rd.

Last edited by John Turner; 14 Jun 2011 at 22:18.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2899112)   #104
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Autosport 3 Hours - 3rd hour

More Pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6054wb.jpg   IMG_6059wb.jpg   IMG_6069wb.jpg  

IMG_6107wb.jpg   IMG_6117wb.jpg   IMG_6143wb.jpg  

Old 15 Jun 2011, 11:32 (Ref:2899373)   #105
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Autosport 3 Hours - 3rd hour (2)

More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6158wb.jpg   IMG_6172wb.jpg   IMG_6187wb.jpg  

IMG_6195wb.jpg   IMG_6205wb.jpg   IMG_6210wb.jpg  

Old 15 Jun 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2899379)   #106
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Autosport 3 Hours - 3rd hour (3)

Where's everybody gone?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6232wb.jpg   IMG_6246wb.jpg   IMG_6249wb.jpg  

IMG_6256wb.jpg   IMG_6285wb.jpg   IMG_6288wb.jpg  

Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2899395)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*looks around*
I'm still here.

Good reporting John, thank you.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2899452)   #108
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Where's everybody gone?

Probably all gone to Porto or testing at Mallory or something.

As Peter said - great reporting and good shots.

I was a little concerned the Snetterton would be less than photogenic but with the grass starting to green things and some very interesting spectator area locations it seems much better than I expected.

That said I reckon AK's shots (and presumably those from anyone else with a media pass) make very good use of the country scenery as a backdrop using some excellent angles. Trees rather than debris fencing - much nicer in my opinion.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2899469)   #109
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, just back from Mallory testing! Thank you for the comments John, it is always one of my favorite meetings - I've missed only one, when Monza clashed last year - and I think next year I should try to run something a little different. One comment about the new Snetterton layout, really unless one really tries to pull up out of the way any sort of car failure will bring out the safety car or worse a red flag. As a competitor who is acutely aware of the need to reduce Terry B's workload(!) possibly more cutaways in the armco or refuges are needed?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2899491)   #110
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where's everybody gone?

Waiting with baited breath the next load of pics and reports, naturally. Great effort again John - I don't know what we would do without you.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2899593)   #111
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks all; will put up final post/comment on the 3 Hours sometime tomorrow. Then a case of seeing what I have for the Sunday races.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2899655)   #112
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Yes, just back from Mallory testing! Thank you for the comments John, it is always one of my favorite meetings - I've missed only one, when Monza clashed last year - and I think next year I should try to run something a little different. One comment about the new Snetterton layout, really unless one really tries to pull up out of the way any sort of car failure will bring out the safety car or worse a red flag. As a competitor who is acutely aware of the need to reduce Terry B's workload(!) possibly more cutaways in the armco or refuges are needed?
I fully agree. In our race (Historic FF2000) a car pulled off just after the exit to Agostini and had to be towed all the way round the circuit to the end of the straight, resulting in a long safety car period - not good in a 15 minute race.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2899668)   #113
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snett

I fully agree too - in fact, this is the point I was trying to make in post 46 above
Old 15 Jun 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2899688)   #114
Chris Sharples
Rookie

Chris Sharples should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robert and Alan,

You are right.

It would be helpful if there were more gaps to allow marshals to pull cars to safety. Also I recollect that when the new circuit plans were originally published there was some sort of embryonic pit area serving the '100' circuit (somewhere near Tyrrells Diner). It would substantially reduce downtime if it was possible to have a gate in this area to pull errant cars back to the paddock. Hopefully this would reduce red flag and safety car incidents.

Another thought is to use a gap at Tyrrells to save cars cruising all round the circuit at the end of the race/practice. This would be just like taking cars off from Bottom Bend at Brands. I reckon it could be worth a time saving of well over half an hour on a 9 race timetable.

I don't know how practical/expensive these ideas would be for MSV but I will ask Grahame to raise them in his next meeting with them.

Chris

PS; John great pix. I am certain there are lots of us browsing but not posting!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2899719)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Chris, there is (was?) a gate before Agostini that brings you straight into the new bit of paddock. At Easter they bought us in through it to save time on slowing down lap. From Agostini to the Esses (or Brundle as it is now!) in event of breakdown you are stuck there. I do however remember one car in 3hr (Lenham P69?) managing to park out of the way on right hand side of Bentley straight just after Williams?

The 3 red flags on sunday while I was watching were as far as I could tell due to incidents at Murrays or pit lane entrance.

I'm sure JP, Jamie & co will be getting reports back and hopefully these are 'teething troubles' only!

Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2899720)   #116
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I fully agree. In our race (Historic FF2000) a car pulled off just after the exit to Agostini and had to be towed all the way round the circuit to the end of the straight, resulting in a long safety car period - not good in a 15 minute race.
3 cars Alan, all towable as it turned out and in different, but not far apart, locations.

Now, it occurs to me that all of then could have been towed back into the "Tyrrell's" exit quite rapidly except for the problem of some rather soft ground in the centre section. (No surprise given the recent development).

However, if there was a thin 'transfer strip' across that centre section of grass between Hamilton and the opposite straight (ie, something with substance better than soft ground, soft ground being likely to persist fior a year or two) recovery of all 3 could have been effected quite quickly. Or, even better maybe (?) all 3 could have been parked in a safe location in the centre area awaiting the end of the race.

I suspect that if the Red Rocket presence could be augmented by a 4x4 tow car when the 300 circuit is in use recovery would be more flexible as well as a great service.

That said, I have not been to Snetterton before and I have to say that what I found exceeded my general expectations an all respects - other than the Sunday PM weather but I can't find any justification to place blame for that.

Much to my surprise Cadwell, Oulton and Snetterton have become 3 of my favourite circuits to rival Donington and Mallory, both of which have the benefit of being very local to me.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2899727)   #117
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sharples View Post
Robert and Alan,

You are right.

It would be helpful if there were more gaps to allow marshals to pull cars to safety. Also I recollect that when the new circuit plans were originally published there was some sort of embryonic pit area serving the '100' circuit (somewhere near Tyrrells Diner). It would substantially reduce downtime if it was possible to have a gate in this area to pull errant cars back to the paddock. Hopefully this would reduce red flag and safety car incidents.

Another thought is to use a gap at Tyrrells to save cars cruising all round the circuit at the end of the race/practice. This would be just like taking cars off from Bottom Bend at Brands. I reckon it could be worth a time saving of well over half an hour on a 9 race timetable.

I don't know how practical/expensive these ideas would be for MSV but I will ask Grahame to raise them in his next meeting with them.

Chris

PS; John great pix. I am certain there are lots of us browsing but not posting!
Chris,

They have been doing that. I'm suprised they weren't at the HSCC meeting. I've been to several meetings at Snett this year and the return route to the paddock at some meetings was through the Agostini paddock entrance. At track days too...as this substantially increases track time over the day. There is a snatch vehicle at most meetings, parked behind the trees on the exit of Riches to recover cars from the farmer's field. Perhaps having it parked in 'centre parks' would be better...the infield area where marshals cars are parked between Oggies and Williams so it can reach the entire new infield easier.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2899768)   #118
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks all; will put up final post/comment on the 3 Hours sometime tomorrow. Then a case of seeing what I have for the Sunday races.
John,

I'm sure you don't need any help but I can augment what you have for Sunday, though not for all races because, sadly, a few fell out of the coverage I needed to work to. And the rain did not help! Who organised that?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2900008)   #119
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
There was certainly a big contrast in the weather on the two days; in fact, I'd had enough by the end of Race 16 and took no pics of race 17, choosing instead to take shelter and harangue Mr White about some suggested 'improvements' () in the format which he accepted with his usual great charm and good grace!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2900030)   #120
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the TC race on Sunday I was instructed by marshals to exit via gate at post 8/Agostini, very conveniently near my trailer. From what's been said recovery crews weren't using this, not sure why this was.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2900039)   #121
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Autosport 3 Hours - Conclusion

I was in the pits for the last half hour so no pics for that period. However Ed Lovett's pace, whilst good was never going to be enough to catch Nick Fleming. Nick's drive was one of consistent good pace and he had pretty much controlled the race from the front from very early on and thoroughly deserved the victory which had eluded him last year. Ed L brought his B8 home in 2nd, 1 minute 38 seconds behind, a lap clear of the Shipman/Hales Crossle. The Watson/Watts Elan was an excellent 7th, but I must confess my eyes, in that last half hour, had been on the Drabble Merlyn, since until I had reached the pit area, I had no inkling that the car was in for the class win and my old trophy. The team were worried by the rapidly closing Bancroft/Yarwood Crossle 9S but mathematically it proved an impossible task for the latter unless the Merlyn hit unexpected problems, and so it was that Drabble's Senior and Junior took their unlikely victory in the class. No insult to the other cars and drivers in this class is intended but in a way it was an apposite result since it was Simon's comments on here a few years back that led me to decide to make an award to the up to 1600cc sports racers. I'm sorry I couldn't stay to present the award myself, Simon, but feel sure that the great Jack Sears was preferable, anyway!

Brilliant effort by everybody who finished and commiserations to those who didn't, particularly those who actually had cars running at the end but were not classified.

Full results:-

1 - 42 -Fleming/Stevens - Chevron B8 - 78 laps - SRD class winner.
2 - 38 -Lovett/Hadfield - B8 - 78 laps
3 - 52 -Shipman/Hales - Crossle 9S - 77 laps - SRC class winner
4 - 3 -Hodges/Middlehurst - B8 - 75 laps
5 - 32 -Allison/Nelson - B8 - 74 laps
6 - 93 -Douglas/Fearon - Ginetta G16 - 72 laps
7 - 4 -Watson/Watts - Lotus Elan - 71 laps - B1 class winner
8 - 7 -Thompson/Woolston/McLurg - Elva Mk7S - 70 laps
9 - 50 -Brooks/Brooks - Elan - 70 laps
10 - 92 - Drabble/Drabble - Merlyn Mk6 - 69 laps - SRB class winner
11 - 64 - Richardson/Bentley - MGB - 69 laps - B2 class winner
12 - 18 - Bancroft/Yarwood - Crossle 9S - 68 laps
13 - 86 - Adams/Adams - Turner Mk11 - 68 laps
14 - 99 - Bianchi/Bianchi - MGB - 67 laps
15 - 95 - Sears/Bell/Paterson - MGB - 65 laps
16 - 74 - Smith/Field/Field - MGB - 63 laps
17 - 71 - Jonsson - Jaguar E-type - 58 laps - C2 class winner
18 - 41 - Caton/Casey - Lenham P69 - 37 laps - SRE class winner

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Jun 2011 at 09:59.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2900167)   #122
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Brilliant effort by everybody who finished and commiserations to those who didn't, particularly those who actually had cars running at the end but were not classified.
Thank you John for taking so much time with your report and pictures. Even though we were in the race good to have all the extra detail from you and others!

Suzanne & James have invited me share S's MGB 3 years running now, and although almost the slowest car every year reliabilty has resulted in 5th, 4th & 3rd in class B2. Be nice if next year HSCC split the fibreglass GT cars from rest as they do in normal Guards races rather than have one 'GT' class- don't think we are ever going to beat a 26R on pace.

Shame about the 'not classified' thing- is it to do with percentage of winners distance or something?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2900232)   #123
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Not clear on what constitutes an NCF, Mike. You will note that the Lenham is classified 18th with only 37 laps and an hour and a half running whereas, the Wyndham/Hill B8, running at the end with 51 laps, is not.

For a more coherent account of the 3 Hour, from Marcus, may I suggest you acquire this week's Autosport which afterall lends it name to the race, has a full page including a great head on shot from Richard Styles, and also has two additional pages for the rest of this meeting. If that is not enough, there is a brief report on the Le Mans Legends race and a short piece and editorial by Kev on Sir Stirling's retirement - Kev interviewd him within minutes of his announcement. All that and a little matter of the dramatic Le Mans 24 hours and Button's brilliant Canadian GP win should make it surely an issue to get hold of.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2900304)   #124
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should stand on a street corner John.
Read all abaht it!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2900359)   #125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
JT is on commission

Half way through my copy, and lots to read as John says.