Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2972247)   #101
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
Hopefully oval races are eliminated in the future from IndyCar; just stupid and dangerous. They shouldn't have been there to begin with in the series, and they shouldn't be there now.
I agree that ovals are dangerous, but so are all other forms of racing.
Remember that Gonzalo RodrĂ*guez' accident happened on a road corse (Laguna Seca) and Jeff Krosnoff's on a street course (Toronto)

Let's keep the discussion about what and how for another time...
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2972248)   #102
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very emotional right now, Indycar itself is the last thing on my mind.

Please guys, keep the discussion surrounding anything of the kind for another time.

Right now we need to be thinking of Dan's young family.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2972249)   #103
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Feelings are running high at the moment. Perhaps something to discuss later.
Exactly.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2972252)   #104
John Wisson
Rookie

John Wisson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Wheldon Forever Indy 500 Champion

RIP Dan

Not only a great driver but a nice guy. Met him for the first time the day after the 2009 Indy 500 and he just happy to chat to me about how much he loved the brickyard.

My condolences to his family at this sad a difficult time.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2972255)   #105
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
RIP Dan
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2972257)   #106
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I agree that ovals are dangerous, but so are all other forms of racing.
Remember that Gonzalo RodrĂ*guez' accident happened on a road corse (Laguna Seca) and Jeff Krosnoff's on a street course (Toronto)

Let's keep the discussion about what and how for another time...
It stems from the fact that I hate oval racing in general, and this tragic event didn't help, but indeed, this is for a later time.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon, a truly great and admired racer; you'll be missed by many.

Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2972258)   #107
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Horrible day.
The one thing you don't want to see and it's always happening.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2972263)   #108
hotlavaaaa
Rookie

hotlavaaaa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Catch fencing is not an acceptable solution in my view. At least for open cockpit cars and even in NASCAR we've seen that it doesn't prevent fans from being injured by debris. There has to be a better way to stop the cars once they are airborne than what is essentially a giant cheese grater. Time and time again we've seen Indycar drivers seriously injured and killed by the catch fencing, but all they do is put foam on the walls and call it good.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2972267)   #109
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He was supposed to be the star of the show! Appalling.

RIP Dan Wheldon.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2972276)   #110
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
RIP Dan Wheldon.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2972278)   #111
Kaiser of Nurburg
Rookie

United States
Charleston SC
Kaiser of Nurburg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rest in peace, Dan.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2972281)   #112
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
A very sad day and a huge shock and disappointment.
Dan was a great guy and a very very good driver.
My condolences to his wife and family.

As for the overall accident.
If you analyse the incident from video you realise that he was simply a victim of circumstances beyond his control, someone elses incident and he had no where to go.
Dan made a decision that put him in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2972285)   #113
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Dan

It´s a sad day in motorsport...
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2972286)   #114
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
An awful result to a horrible crash.
Rest in Peace Dan.
My condolences to his wife and family.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2972290)   #115
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tributes forum thread here for all those who wish to record their thoughts on this sad occasion.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2972291)   #116
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Dan! I can't believe this happened.

What pure madness that was! These cars have no business racing on these types of tracks. The series is not going to survive this; especially after the $5 million stunt.....

In all honestly, I would like to know; what was safer, F1 in the 70's and 80's or Indy Car racing on ovals these last 20 years?
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2972296)   #117
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news, I was out of it with a cold today and missed the race, kind of glad I did.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2972302)   #118
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
All I can salvage from this horror is the grim consolation that at least the original idea of having two or three amateurs wandering around the pack didn't come to pass.

35 cars? Too many.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2972307)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
All I can salvage from this horror is the grim consolation that at least the original idea of having two or three amateurs wandering around the pack didn't come to pass.

35 cars? Too many.
Especially on that type of oval.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 00:02 (Ref:2972308)   #120
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just read this horrible news, and I am deeply saddened by the loss of this great driver. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, his team and his friends.

Very, very sad day indeed.

Rest easy, Dan Wheldon.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2972315)   #121
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
devestated right now , RIP Dan , you sir where a true champion
Old 17 Oct 2011, 00:30 (Ref:2972325)   #122
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope that some of the $5 mil that was up for grabs go to his family, and that some of the $5 mil gets invested into making racing of all forms just a little bit safer.

RIP Dan. May your passing not be in vain.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 00:41 (Ref:2972330)   #123
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if danica will do something on her nascar as a mark of respect! at least the news has hit F1 so I think there might be black armbands on the drivers for the next few weeks
Old 17 Oct 2011, 01:25 (Ref:2972352)   #124
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knew I wasn't going to be able to catch the race and came home to the terrible news just a few moments ago. Makes the fleeting thought I had before the weekend that Vegas should probably be exciting but that I'm really not comfortable with open wheelers on high banked ovals feel even stranger. Bizarre how it catches Dan of all people. RIP Indy 500 champion.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 02:13 (Ref:2972374)   #125
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re:

Maybe drivers will retire now after this. Dario Franchitti would top my list. It would not surprise me at all if he decided to retire from IndyCar racing this winter. He said in an interview that after this tragedy all of the efforts going into winning races and championships just does not seem worth it. I think that is telling me something..