Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Mar 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3046101)   #101
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The sort of people who say SUVs/4x4s make them feel safer are the sort of drivers with such appalling roadcraft that they'll probably end up barrel rolling their 'safe' truck down a motorway.

My local Subaru dealer has just started selling Morgans. If the Plus Four is a bit old for you, how about the three wheeler?
Old 21 Mar 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3046134)   #102
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It's the dignity part that I'm struggling with. I think that's the American in me having difficulty grasping British reservedness. Just get something loud and yellow or orange (maybe a little chrome) and leave the dignity for when your six feet under.

Ok, one more shot...

Good looking, fun to drive, and reliable.
Yes it's definitely an American thing, but that's a whole different subject. Over here something brash will just attract abuse rather than admiration. That tends to make such cars the preserve of those with too much money to concern themselves with what anyone thinks, like footballers and bankers!

As for the Speedster.... interesting. Funnily enough I had been going to suggest something like this, but the colour put me off....
Attached Thumbnails
Villamoto Spyder.jpg  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3046136)   #103
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
My local Subaru dealer has just started selling Morgans. If the Plus Four is a bit old for you, how about the three wheeler?
That would be the one in Post #2 of this thread.... which we all ignored. Probably because you could only get away with it if you were called something like Badminton Wilkinson-Smythe DSO.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3046224)   #104
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
For the OP's question.. in my opinion, this doesnt work at all

but this does...

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3046243)   #105
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Erm.... I think I agree

I'm sort of coming to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if the car is old or modern, it simply needs to LOOK like its as old as the driver and hence offers sufficient dignity for him to be seen with the top down.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 01:16 (Ref:3046309)   #106
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Are they all crap drivers as they are in England?
Yes. A public hazard if there ever was one. One hand and one eye on the iphone texting, the other hand and eye on applying makeup, SUV weaving all over, coffee flying in the air, people running for their lives.

What is especially scary is when they get behind the wheel of a 3 ton Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban.

I couldn't count how many times I've nearly been hit by women drivers not having any situational awareness and not paying attention. I had a woman in a RAV4 not paying attention just today, never looked my way and pulled right out in front of me driving along main street out of the supermarket. I noticed she wasn't paying attention so I was already prepared to give her a wide birth.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3046318)   #107
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's the dignity part that I'm struggling with. I think that's the American in me having difficulty grasping British reservedness. Just get something loud and yellow or orange (maybe a little chrome) and leave the dignity for when your six feet under.

Ok, one more shot...

Good looking, fun to drive, and reliable.
It is amazing to me just how prices on 356's and early 911's have shot through the roof. It really wasn't that long ago you could pick up a decent one(not one of the limited models though) for $15k-$20K.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 01:49 (Ref:3046319)   #108
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
How about an Ariel Atom?
Old 22 Mar 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3046370)   #109
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I think I am correct in thinking one of these did feature in Top Gun... so there's a good start... :P But alas it was a woman driving it

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3046414)   #110
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Can we keep to cars without tops rather than women drivers and SUV's please......

and no, not an Ariel Atom
Old 22 Mar 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3046429)   #111
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Can we keep to cars without tops rather than women drivers and SUV's please......
As you are a bit handy with making things and still have the chassis jig how about this on ebay .
Attached Thumbnails
kencar.JPG  
Old 22 Mar 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3046432)   #112
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
That's not a car, it's two bicycle wheels and a coal scuttle.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3046439)   #113
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That's not a car, it's two bicycle wheels and a coal scuttle.
When I saw this I thought you were talking about the Morgan 3 wheeler!
Old 22 Mar 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3046462)   #114
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1949 Low Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Here's what you need !
I am approaching 63 and this thread is not helping me AT ALL!! I own a 1949 Low Light that I would dearly love to restore (our family had a convertable when I was a wee lad).

However, I am being drawn towards a "modern" 6 cylinder, soft top MG....with terrible thoughts of what people will think and the impracticality of it all...trouble is...when I was younger, and had the opportunity, I played safe with sensible sedans...and whilst friends travelled, I stayed home and saved my coin

What do I do!!
Old 22 Mar 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3046477)   #115
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
It depends whether Aussies react like the UK public or like the USA public - it's either admiration or ridicule. You pays your money.....

If we're thinking in terms of the age of the car being apt, how about a Daimler SP250 : a gentleman's carriage, but still with prescence and oomph.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3046482)   #116
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
I am approaching 63 ........ What do I do!!
don't spend too long deciding, JFDI
(I'm similar age and philosophy)
Old 22 Mar 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3046529)   #117
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Posting pictures of what we're talking about would help. At least it would save me the effort of googling.....

Here's the lowlight in convertible form and the sp250. Sadly I think the latter looks too much like a wide-mouth-frog!

And 275, I completely agree with MGDavid..... get spending that coin you saved and put the low light on the road right away.... convertible of course. I think its a very suitable car for your age... and will be until you're at least 90!!
Attached Thumbnails
morris low light convertible.jpg   sp250carlargem.jpg  
Old 22 Mar 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3046558)   #118
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
how do people view a lotus elise with the roof chopped off? is that an adequate man-car or is it not nearly convertible enough for the discussion?

it does contain the same creature comforts as a 1960s mg though
Old 22 Mar 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3046600)   #119
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
I think I am correct in thinking one of these did feature in Top Gun... so there's a good start... :P But alas it was a woman driving it
Lol, yes. And now that you mention it, Detective Frank Bullitt's girlfriend had one... McQueen did drive it however.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3046629)   #120
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
how do people view a lotus elise with the roof chopped off? is that an adequate man-car or is it not nearly convertible enough for the discussion?
Not sure about the Elise, bit young persons I feel. Perhaps an Elan though..... the original one of course
Attached Thumbnails
lotus_elise-pic-24948.jpg   Lotus elan.jpg  
Old 22 Mar 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3046654)   #121
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
May I therefore present for consideration that hardy annual that has become a living fossil:
You know my mother-in-law?
Old 22 Mar 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3046686)   #122
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Must be the same age as mine!
Old 23 Mar 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3046939)   #123
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is my ride in Doha. It is automatic, thus the hairdresser's version.
Attached Thumbnails
Doha-20111118-00029_3.jpg  
Old 23 Mar 2012, 07:54 (Ref:3046960)   #124
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
At least your hair doesn't blow about Pete !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Mar 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3046981)   #125
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
My neighbour is dead keen on me getting one of these. It's about the right age if that's what means I can own a convertible with dignity. I even mentioned it in my opening post.... but I'm still not sure. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
E-type Series 1 roadster.jpg