Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Sep 2015, 09:52 (Ref:3575647)   #101
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More detailed report to follow, but we finished!!

10th in class, 55th o/a in the biggest car of the field. Great achievement for a home built car in only its second race (shakedown at donny fortnight ago). Ran pretty much faultlessly from start to finish - credit to its owner Derek.

CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3575681)   #102
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post

10th in class, 55th o/a in the biggest car of the field. Great achievement for a home built car in only its second race (shakedown at donny fortnight ago). Ran pretty much faultlessly from start to finish - credit to its owner Derek.

Spot on..It looked very wet at times....Must have felt like an aircraft carrier judging by some of the surface water..
N.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3575699)   #103
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6hr - a finish!

We had a great race, our only ambition was a finish, and we got one. Having achieved a very lowly 102nd in quali (but not bothered!), we had a trouble-free run through to finish 46th overall.

Paul (the owner) started, then swapped to Robin after only 45 mins (as debutants the decision was made to get us all a go in the car relatively early on, just in case) ... 45 mins later it was my go, with the plan to run a two hour stint (previous longest race for me was 45 mins, so no idea how this would go), i came out of the pitlane at Radillon into an intimidating gaggle of 7 or 8 mixed-speed cars ranging from GT40, Shelby to MGB - avoided them all and vice versa, and everyone else who came at me for nearly two hours - even got a wave from Iain when he came by - I used him to spur me on for a lap or so, but cars came between us and I fell back! I got the first rain but it was almost 100% dry again when the safety car appeared and I decided to take advantage and pitted 20 mins earlier than expected - handing over to Robin who fortuitiously got a traffic-free fuel stop and set about producing a series of our fastest laps, with about 1hr 20 left he handed back over to Paul to finish - so the owner got full dark, full rain combo ... but we ploughed on to the finish. The other Gilbern got us in the last sector of the last lap (was that you Will?), we'd seen him coming on the monitor, but were unable to convey the message to Paul anyway, at the same time we came past a couple of cars on the last lap which had presumably parked up somewhere!

We were dead chuffed to have achieved what we aimed for, the car has done the race many times, but we hadn't. Good team work, excellent support from the fine fellows of Kindle Adams who stepped up to help us out when normal prepper was unable to come over. We learned a lot and we had fun, which is the whole point.

Moose - not only did we dice for some of the race with you, including my stint, but we were next to you in pitlane, sorry we didn't make the connection, but I've been off the forum for a little while otherwise I'd have known it was you ...

Love the meeting, and taking part in the main event is a great experience, just wish we could have found a beer and atmosphere a bit later after the race, by the time we left our pit 30-45mins or so after race had finished it was all pretty much closed ... we did get beer and food in the steakhouse though, and then rolled SAS-style under the locked gates at La Source at 0230 to get back in!

Well done to Team Gilbert, and good to see so many people including other tenthers. FJ chum JP Campos Costa was grinning all weekend, having his first outing in an ex-Clay Regazzoni F1 car!

Anyone with pictures of car 38 - red/white MGB???

Hope to do that again!

James
Old 21 Sep 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3575706)   #104
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think these photos might include James and Moose's cars?

Struggling with very slow airport wifi at moment so just low res photos and not processed properly yet, apologies for quality. Will upload more to my website in next few days when home.
Attached Thumbnails
XT011817_10Tenths.jpg   XT011752_10Tenths.jpg   XT011724_10Tenths.jpg  

GJC_9495_10Tenths.jpg   GJC_9501_10Tenths.jpg   GJC_9607_10Tenths.jpg  

Old 21 Sep 2015, 13:01 (Ref:3575710)   #105
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the Williams in the 911 Wizzo does anyone know please.Been trying to phone him but perhaps he doesn't know which is the answer button.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3575715)   #106
jcdeleted
Rookie

jcdeleted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post

All credit to you too. Loved it at Doni the other week. Hope you've checked the boot. There could be the population of a small village lost in there.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3575723)   #107
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done all!

Sorry to hear about the weather.

Friday and Saturday were delightful in Scotland and travelling back to the Midlands. As was yesterday at Donington until the warmth disappeared around 3pm. By close of play my fingers were numb despite putting on some gloves.

Today is overcast and perpetual wetness. So whatever is going round Donington is getting a Spa like experience.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 14:47 (Ref:3575743)   #108
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We merely entered the HSCC races, but having not been to Spa for just over 2 years and a major rebuild since, was extremely pleased to have had an entirely issue free weekend and both race one and race 2 netted a string of personal best laps. On paper i thought I'd be the slowest car there, and certainly one of very few slower cars on Dunlops, but we've been credited with 35th from the 2nd race.

was pleased to Keep the Lotus Cortina keen until he drove me off the road approaching the chicane.

First visit to the 6 hour since 2008, I'd almost forgotten what a fantastic event it is.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 14:55 (Ref:3575749)   #109
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

Struggling with very slow airport wifi at moment so just low res photos and not processed properly yet, apologies for quality. Will upload more to my website in next few days when home.
That's us, yes Gary, thanks! I think that might even be me at the wheel, I'm a bit lower than the other two drivers!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:00 (Ref:3575752)   #110
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ok here goes . Me and mike just did a couple of laps in qualy and then another couple each in the dark . My session was red flagged on my second lap so we went up to the restaurant on top of pits and had dinner . Changed tactics this year . Mike would start and do 90 min I would then refuel and go for 150 mins the max you can do in one stint . So I had my instructions on refueling and of I went to the fuel station . Want to say now that the guys on the pumps like last year are very helpfull and friendly , went straight to a pump with no delay , got the key for fuel cap out of ignition ran round to the filler flicked up the monza cap and shock horror there was no cap to unlock. Hey ho made sure Marshall did not see the missing cap and quickly put 45 liters of fuel in . Then from out of no where stood next to me was Joseph one of the mirage mechanics with the fuel cap and spare key . He must of run past mr bolt to get to me so quick . All happened so fast don't think the fuel Marshall's noticed and I was back in Gilbert and of for a long drive . After 30 min I was thinking this is going to be a long old drive but just after the pit board came out with the in sign and my stint was over . Bit disappointed as I had just had the best 2 and a half hours racing round spa . Magic mike had put us way up the field on his stint and the team kept on saying to me "no presure Iain". Gilbert ran as sweet as ever but we had the fuel starvation problem rear up but me and mike managed to overcome by swopping fuel pumps every over lap on the switch and it was all brilliant . No real drama 's for me got a bit fed up with GT40. Coming by and slamming the brakes on while I was still flat out "Gilbert brakes are fantastic ". So handed over to mike for the run home . I made the team tea which was very welcome . We lost the lights two laps from home but again the Mirage boys got fuses sorted and Mike took the chequerd flag . I have been going to spa 6 hour for a good 20 years now but for sure this year seemed to be the best ever . Had a run in Richard Owen Galaxie which was great fun and also drove a Tiga Sports 2000 in HSCC second race . Had time this weekend to chat to loads of tenthers which was great . Yes very well done Wayne in the Galaxie and James in MGB fantastic resultS . Have to think about next year see how Mike feels but don't think we could get Gilbert any higher than the p36 this year . If anyone had a GT 40 to loan Delta Motor Sport would love to run her in 2016 . Thanks to Mike for such a super little car and letting me share the drive .
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3575758)   #111
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Yep, thats me in the first pic of the Galaxie whilst the others pics are with the cars owner/builder (Derek) at the wheel. Any chance I could neb the pics for my fb feed?

Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:47 (Ref:3575820)   #112
Moosehead
Veteran

Well, we had an absolutely fantastic time at Spa!

Qualifying showed up quite serious pad knock-off and a lack of top speed – we really needed a taller diff as we had a self imposed rev limit of 6500 which was reached before half way on Kemmel straight and well before Blanchimont. Oh and the headlamps had a mind of their own! We had plenty of time to sort the lights as we couldn’t get the car back in the garage after qually as one of the two GT350’s in our garage had been punted into the wall by an E-Type (well that’s the report we had ) and the guys ended up pulling the passenger door and front wing off to repair.

Saturday morning we changed all the brakes, adjusted the front wheel bearings as tight as we dared to stop the knock – off, drained and refilled the tank to check consumption and did a little rain dance as rain would definitely be a help with our brake wear.
I think it took longer to work out our pit stop strategy than we spent spannering the car. We originally intended for one and a half hour stints but fuel and brake consumption wouldn’t fit the plan so we opted for Derek to do 15 laps then me 14 and then Derek to refuel on the way out once he jumped back in.

We had some last minute additions to our team which were very welcome despite their zero experience at this sort of thing.
Seems our rain dance worked prior to the race start – sorry everyone! Our lowly 105th starting position was pretty much the back of the grid but Derek slowly moved up the field, presumingly as cars hit trouble rather than our speed. Derek came in and other than a report of “its slippery and look out for a Mustang half shaft and wheel on the track” the car was fine. My first stint went very quickly. Spent more time looking in the mirror than the windscreen, trying desperately to keep out of everyones way whilst still maintaining a decent pace. The brakes started out ok but as the track dried and I leant on the suspension more they started going away – pumping them back up became the norm but I’m used to that. Finding our garage was pure luck when pitting this first time as it appeared everyone was waving for me to stop at their garage except my crew.

Derek jumped in and refuelled on the exit as planned but he came in a few laps early as there was a safety car period, luckily I was ready to go so we didn’t lose much time. The yellow lights/flags and SC boards were still out when I left the pits but it seemed I had the track to myself so I had nearly two laps at near full speed whilst everyone else was cruising around behind the two safety cars. When we went green it still took nearly another lap before something caught me ( I was rubbing my hands together in my head at the time I must have made up – day dreaming again!) The track was now dry and the brakes were suffering, the pedal getting slowly longer. I made the decision to cut my stint short so tried to warn the crew of my impending early stop by driving down the pit wall flashing my lights – apparently they got the message. Heading for the chicane on my in lap the brake pedal went straight to the floor and just to make matters worse an Elan was overtaking me on my left. As I frantically pumped the brakes I had visions of the Elan turning across my bows and me plowing straight into the side of him. Brakes not responding I hit the gas instead and I think I somehow went across the track in front of him. Now the run off at the chicane is big but not that big. I twirled the wheel right but the damn steering is so low geared instead of putting the car sideways it just slowly turned toward the wall on the right………..bugger, now I’m facing head on to that. Lots more arm twirling to the left and the car wallows away from the wall in a long arc. Out the corner of my eye I see the marshalls running away as I initially head towards them but the car continues its arc to finish facing the oncoming traffic………..And breathe!!

Straight into the pits for new pads. The guys swap the pads and tighten both bottom ball joints before Derek jumps in again and refuels. Unfortunately these two early stops have buggered our pit stop schedule and our fuel window is all wrong for the end of the race. Fortunately for us the heavens open and a number of incidents bring out the safety car with everyone having to run through the pit lane. Derek pits again and jumps out but I tell him to get back in and get his monies worth. The longer the race stayed yellow the better for our fuel situation, we didn’t want to splash and dash at the end. I jumped in for my final stint with about forty minutes of the race to go. Although the fuel situation should have been ok I elected to play safe and just cruise the stint. One car came up behind me and then its lights went out (Mr Bell I presume) and then my lights started playing up. I couldn’t tell whether it was the spots or the head lamps as the switches appeared to do nothing, I had some forward facing lamps but could hardly see the edge of the track. Relied on cars overtaking me so I could follow their tail lamps and was extremely relieved to see the chequered flag.

Sort of missed out on our initial finishing celebrations as I followed someones instructions to go to Parc Ferme which I didn’t need to do and was left there with no idea what to do next. Eventually walked back to our garage but the moment was pretty much gone.

Very chuffed to finish and to be honest believe 55th o/a to be pretty good for a very overweight car.

Great to catch up with Iain and Mike, sorry to have missed you James.
Hopefully will be back next year but we’ll remember to bring some breakfast!!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3575839)   #113
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This might appeal to someone .....

Found on PistonHeads no less .....
Old 21 Sep 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3575840)   #114
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Short note to start with. Went with my two lads and we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Met Iain (thanks !) and took loads of photos. When time permits will sort through them for any ten tenthers in photos. Sorry, don't know everyone on here, so car numbers and races appreciated !

We WILL be back !

David, John and Andrew
Old 21 Sep 2015, 18:59 (Ref:3575846)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Found on P*****H**** no less .....
Pic by Albert Mensinga- Dinkel on here. Young Mr Rowley in Gilbert, must have been qualifying as spotlamp covers on. During the race, when Iain jumped in the car at 90 minutes, we never thought to take covers off, but then found car was circulating without them and they were in garage! So thank you to whoever removed them....

As it happened, when I took over again 2.5hrs later, you could still see OK without spots switched on, and when rain became torrential whatever lamps you had on they didn't improve my vision. I did have a comment from another competitor the next day about being dazzled by our lamps when behind him. Still couldn't bloody see, though! And talking of lamps, the rule about no modern LEDs etc, is very poorly observed. One car had, in my eyes, a particularly unattractive 4 spot set up. It didn't last long, reduced to scrap by a barrier.....

Great effort in the Galaxie, Moose! You get my vote as Tenther of the weekend. I had same problem at race end- pit crew had no idea where car was, as I negotiated the whole pit lane again in order to get back to truck via lower paddocks! The moment was gone......

Old 21 Sep 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3575859)   #116
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Pic by Albert Mensinga- Dinkel on here. Young Mr Rowley in Gilbert, must have been qualifying as spotlamp covers on. During the race, when Iain jumped in the car at 90 minutes, we never thought to take covers off, but then found car was circulating without them and they were in garage! So thank you to whoever removed them....

As it happened, when I took over again 2.5hrs later, you could still see OK without spots switched on, and when rain became torrential whatever lamps you had on they didn't improve my vision. I did have a comment from another competitor the next day about being dazzled by our lamps when behind him. Still couldn't bloody see, though! And talking of lamps, the rule about no modern LEDs etc, is very poorly observed. One car had, in my eyes, a particularly unattractive 4 spot set up. It didn't last long, reduced to scrap by a barrier.....

Great effort in the Galaxie, Moose! You get my vote as Tenther of the weekend. I had same problem at race end- pit crew had no idea where car was, as I negotiated the whole pit lane again in order to get back to truck via lower paddocks! The moment was gone......

Dinkel on PH too.

I'm sure he will be along in time with some further interesting shots.

Did you check the adjustment of the spots at speed Mike? Perhaps the wind pressure pushed them back out of alignment?

Recalling Marcus's tales of spectating at the Spa 24hr back in the day the concept of lighting up the tree tops might have been appropriate. Would that have been blinding to a competitor just ahead without providing any effective light to yourself?

Last edited by grantp; 21 Sep 2015 at 20:31.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3575862)   #117
Miss_hannuman
Rookie

Miss_hannuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Found on PistonHeads no less .....
That's us, we'll me actually ( don't recall Mr Rowley blowing me a kiss when he passed though, maybe he didn't recognise me in a different coloured B!) Car behaved impeccably with the exception I probably overdid the fairly lights, with the alternator failing in the last few laps dropping us 2 places and finishing p22 ....equally pleased to escape without a scrape or ding.!!! What an amazing weekend , it really doesn't get much better than that.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 06:58 (Ref:3575939)   #118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_hannuman View Post
That's us, we'll me actually ( don't recall Mr Rowley blowing me a kiss when he passed though, maybe he didn't recognise me in a different coloured B!) Car behaved impeccably with the exception I probably overdid the fairly lights, with the alternator failing in the last few laps dropping us 2 places and finishing p22 ....equally pleased to escape without a scrape or ding.!!! What an amazing weekend , it really doesn't get much better than that.
Welcome Miss_hannuman- Can't believe you've made your first post after all this time!

One of our two car problems was also electrical. Before the event I meticulously sealed the new screen and all other places where water ingress had happened in the past. Previously water had run behind dash in amongst all the wiring! During the torrential rain, suddenly clicked that I hadn't got rain light(s) on, so flicked switch. Feed is through same fuse as spots, and within two laps all had gone out. I can reach the fuse box from driver's seat, so while driving one handed in the pouring rain, removed glove (schhhh...) and took cover off in order to 'wiggle' fuses in case a bad contact. As my finger touched the fuse found it was red hot! The shock reaction made me knock the next door fuse out of place. It was the one for the other lights...... So I drove 3/4 lap with no lights except brakes, which I kept flashing to warn other cars. Dived into pits, with marshals frantically trying to tell me that I had no lights on. Sorry folk, I knew that! Stopped at garage and not a soul in sight. Then couple of Mirage lads appeared and looked in passenger footwell for dropped fuse. (I have to admit to forgetting to put spares in car before race. ) No sign so we took fuse out of another circuit and shoved that in lights position. They came on, so shot back out again for last two or three laps. Later got a bollicking from Mr Bourne for having headlamps fused..... It did probably cost us a couple of places o/a and in class, but agree with Iain that getting into top 30 with Gilbert may be slightly out of reach. Having said that, after calculating fuel used, we could get away with one refuel, and that might move us up a bit.......

Old 22 Sep 2015, 07:32 (Ref:3575947)   #119
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Forgot to say that the hero of Spa 6 hour must go to our very own Will Nuthall. Had a puncture way out the back of track, rang his crew they turned up with spare wheel and Will got stuck in and changed it. Back out and finished the race.
Good on you lad.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 08:50 (Ref:3575962)   #120
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_hannuman View Post
Sorry Pia, I was making sure I did not bash anymore of Mike's fog lights.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3575972)   #121
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anyone had a GT 40 to loan Delta Motor Sport would love to run her in 2016 . Thanks to Mike for such a super little car and letting me share the drive .[/QUOTE]

Pity my replica is not eligible for the 6 hour race, otherwise you would have been more than welcome to run it. It,s done a four hour with no problem and has driven to LeMans and back for Gulf Oil UK. Never again though ... a road legal race car with no air con or sound absorbing interior and a V8 thirst for fuel ..... ran fast and faultlessly though.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3576011)   #122
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So. Are all the 14 GT40s in the 6 Hour race originals?
Old 22 Sep 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3576012)   #123
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
So. Are all the 14 GT40s in the 6 Hour race originals?
And how are we defining original ? :-)
Old 22 Sep 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3576034)   #124
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They were all original at some time!

On reflection some could be perfect

They raced new cars in Spa 1000klms in 60's and I was at some of races.

It's only correct that some people should race new cars now as they did fifty years ago.

Historical correctness

On another subject

Roger Wills won the race after many years of entering and good on him.

Pity he doesn't post very much these days as he's a very good bloke although we did have our occasional disagreements!
Old 22 Sep 2015, 21:12 (Ref:3576187)   #125
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Gilbert features in the Petrolicious photo round up of Spa -
http://www.petrolicious.com/the-spa-...htaking-photos