Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 May 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3646026)   #101
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Here is a question for students of racing.

All four wheels off the track, followed by no racing room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqmgQk0Oso

Should penalties not apply?

Bearing in mind the out lap which gained Lewis the lead also featured a short cut through the chicane which gained him the lead.

The incident with Rosberg at the previous GP both drivers were ruled to be at fault, but when Hamilton does not leave room for Ricciardo and Ricciardo backs out of the contact, but there is no penalty for Hamilton.

What is the lesson here, never back out of a contact?
Old 31 May 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3646028)   #102
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Had it not rained, I think Lewis could well have received a penalty. But it had; the track wasn't as rubbered in as usual, it was still damp off line and they *both* went through that turn on the edge of adhesion. Lewis tried and failed to make the corner; Daniel tried to get on the power early on the way out and found himself pointing at the barrier earlier than he might have done, thus squeezing up the right hand side.

The lesson I saw there was that race control, for once, took the pragmatic view.
Old 31 May 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3646029)   #103
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Bearing in mind the out lap which gained Lewis the lead also featured a short cut through the chicane which gained him the lead.

The incident with Rosberg at the previous GP both drivers were ruled to be at fault, but when Hamilton does not leave room for Ricciardo and Ricciardo backs out of the contact, but there is no penalty for Hamilton.

Both Rosberg and Ricciardo have been around long enough to know that Hamilton will do anything to avoid being overtaken, it hurts his pride. They have to act accordingly, and Dan ddi so. Personally I think the World Champion gets away with far too much, when Schumacher chopped opponents/team mates he was castigated widely, Hamilton usually gets the;
'Hard but fair' description especially from Coulthard and co.

But then I just can't stand the fella.
Old 31 May 2016, 13:50 (Ref:3646051)   #104
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

When I watched that video, it appears that at the point Ricciardo backs out there was still "just" a cars width between Hamilton and the barrier. It is after Ricciardo has backed out that Hamilton is free to move further over.
Old 31 May 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3646062)   #105
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

All four wheels off the track, followed by no racing room....
so where exactly is the white line here? on the outside of the curb or the inside? rather as long as one wheel is still on the curbing are you still technically inbounds?

running close to being afoul of the rule or clever use of track layout?

anyways Rosberg did something similar to Alonso (i think) later on in the race and immediately gave the place up.
Old 31 May 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3646070)   #106
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://twitter.com/AlexBrundle/stat...28155017957376
I don't think Alex has seen many motor races...
Old 31 May 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3646077)   #107
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Well, either you are a Hamilton fan or you ae not.
Old 31 May 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3646082)   #108
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That was a great race, always something to keep an eye on.

Great gamble by Hamilton. With him yet to win and so far behind Rosberg in the chanpionship, he probably could afford to gamble. Yes RBR messed up the pitstop, but Hamilton couldn't have been there otherwise.

Starting to get annoyed by all these Mercedes conspiracys, fact is Sauber could learn something about getting their drivers to do one for the team. Rosberg title leader did it while in 2nd place, why couldn't Nasr? And Ricciardo not happy after the race, of course if it was Hamilton people would jump all over him on here, but it just shows even the happiest get frustrated at times and why not? Shows their passionate

Perez is doing well, shows he deserves a second chance in a top team. And both McLarens in the points shows they are starting to put their money where their mouth is

And yes I was annoyed the Wiener was there. This is a event for talented sportsmen, so that talentless berk has no place there. Hamilton should have really smashed the bottle of champagne over his head and done us all a favour
Old 31 May 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3646084)   #109
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I was surprised Hamilton didn't receive at the least a warning for cutting the track.
Old 31 May 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3646094)   #110
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was surprised Hamilton didn't receive at the least a warning for cutting the track.
That was very odd. Clearly out-braked himself, gained an advantage from it too. V.odd
Old 31 May 2016, 17:41 (Ref:3646098)   #111
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
He's a rare bread. Someone who enjoys Motorsport.
Old 31 May 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3646100)   #112
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
That was very odd. Clearly out-braked himself, gained an advantage from it too. V.odd
I don't remember a penalty given when someone goes off track and retains a place, only when someone goes off and loses a place. Maybe there should be, but I don't see any inconsistency here.
Old 31 May 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3646101)   #113
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

In my eyes, that's just about a car width and Hamilton does leave a gap until he's clear of Ricciardo. The question is, does Ricciardo back off because Hamilton moves over so quickly or does he simply not have enough traction on the damp bit of road? To me it looks like he can't put the power down. So yes, it was an agressive move by Hamilton but it was legal - just.

edit: can't see the picture, just a screenshot from the video
http://imgur.com/uzq61ZP
Old 31 May 2016, 19:42 (Ref:3646121)   #114
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
He's a rare bread. Someone who enjoys Motorsport.
Careful, could end up toast!
Old 31 May 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3646124)   #115
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well he does know how to exaggerate, but there was plenty to enjoy.
Old 31 May 2016, 22:56 (Ref:3646187)   #116
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
HEADLINE Hamilton wins and all the Hamhaters dust off their invective. Isn't it awful, having to watch someone who is that good?

Just a thought on the chicane incident. It's generally acknowledged that if you pass a car by going off the track, you have to give the place back. In the context of Monaco, that means straightlining the chicane, and we saw that a couple of times. If a following car only goes just the wrong side of the apex kerb, he's not going to gain the place. (He may T-bone the other car, but there's another penalty for that situation.) So I see no inconsistency in not penalising Hamilton for going the wrong side of the apex kerb. If he had done it repeatedly, that would have been different.

I felt really sorry for Dan the Man. He did everything right, and the race was lost by an Olympic-class team blunder. Losing a second or two in a pit-stop or even suffering a retirement due to someone's finger-trouble is something that drivers have to learn to live with (win together, lose together) but that was a team mistake on a par with the most stupid thing any driver could possibly do. I think he was feeling dual emotions after the race: happy to get a second, and annoyed that he was robbed of something better. He could have been more gracious, but he was being honest and fortunately he has the sort of face that looks half-happy even when he's fuming.

I wonder what would have happened to Kvyat if he had had the same accidents that Verstappen had.

Rosberg's brake problems? Oh yeah. He looked to me like someone who just couldn't get to grips with the conditions. After all, Monaco is incredibly difficult at any time, and it must be mind-bogglingly so when the track conditions change every lap. I was beginning to come around to the idea that perhaps he is better than I had previously given him credit for, but in one afternoon he slipped back six months in my estimation. Worst of all, he got caught napping and lost a place after the last corner. Those two points might look very important later in the year.
Old 31 May 2016, 22:57 (Ref:3646188)   #117
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm takin' aback by how polarising this race was. Some are swearing blind that it was a ten out of ten (?!!) and others givin' it a one (?!!)! Reality is folding in on itself in that ratings thread.

I as happy enough with it but I gotta a bigger kick out of the N24 and the 500.

And the lingering safety car rubbed me the wrong way. They fear another Bianchi I suppose.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 03:07 (Ref:3646220)   #118
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'm takin' aback by how polarising this race was. Some are swearing blind that it was a ten out of ten (?!!) and others givin' it a one (?!!)! Reality is folding in on itself in that ratings thread.

I as happy enough with it but I gotta a bigger kick out of the N24 and the 500.

And the lingering safety car rubbed me the wrong way. They fear another Bianchi I suppose.
If you don't care who wins, it was a great race. If you do care who wins and didn't want to see Hamilton win, it COULD have been a great race but was ruined by the result as the RB tyre guys pull the most incompetent mistake of the year. Should the person who made that blunder be moved down to TR, because that's a lot worse than what Kyvat did. Although, Kyvat once again tripped up at Monaco in a silly crash all his own.

Yep the 500 was much more exciting. Just as well, it had 350,000 in attendance to excite and Indycar needs a good race like this. Now they just need to back it up with a great Detroit double header this weekend.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 04:40 (Ref:3646227)   #119
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so where exactly is the white line here? on the outside of the curb or the inside? rather as long as one wheel is still on the curbing are you still technically inbounds?
It's a moot point as no wheels ever touch the curb at the apex. I'm not sure if any warnings were issued during the race.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 06:49 (Ref:3646245)   #120
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm giving verstappen a pass on his accident. He's 18, young, exuberant, aggressive. Like a bull in a China shop even moreso than usual at that track. I would imagine that will be his worst track all year. His performance before wrecking shows his greatness as well. He was up to 12th(?) through mostly passing at that point.

I'm extremely excited at the possibility of witnessing a legend in the making, but at the same time, nbc's heavy slant toward him lately is a little off-putting. Will Buxton can't stop gushing about him, and spent the entire preface in Spain asking everyone he came across about verstappen, which felt a little forced.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3646261)   #121
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Lewis did not gain an advantage at all as far I could see.. Two racers going at it is what I saw ....
Old 1 Jun 2016, 11:07 (Ref:3646274)   #122
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Lewis did not gain an advantage at all as far I could see.. Two racers going at it is what I saw ....
If Lewis hadn't cut the track, what then?
Old 1 Jun 2016, 11:13 (Ref:3646278)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think that there should be a limit of the number of laps behind the SC in wet conditions, like 5. That said the virtual SC has been a real time saver. Bianchi's death has not been in vain.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 11:45 (Ref:3646294)   #124
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think that there should be a limit of the number of laps behind the SC in wet conditions, like 5. That said the virtual SC has been a real time saver. Bianchi's death has not been in vain.
I agree that starting (and running a race) behind the safety car does seem a ridiculous thing to do, especially the more laps that this covers. Without knowing the regulations, I suppose that it would even be possible for the race to be declared over whilst behind the safety car, meaning the race result is in qualifying positions should the conditions become significantly worse & therefore deemed unsafe to continue? However, the advantages as I see it are that if conditions are improving, all of the cars circulating are helping to clear the track and dry the racing line, plus the race director literally has his man on the track who is able to report back exactly what the conditions are like so they can decide when to call the SC in or stop it all completely.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3646318)   #125
bauble
Veteran

England
Problem is that modern F1 cars are not adaptable to the conditions, sure some set up adjustments can be made, but they are not truly wet weather cars. Too much spray and too susceptible to aquaplaning. In my road car I have to drive in all conditions with the same tyres and same suspension set-up. But then I am a very good driver.