Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 May 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1600746)   #101
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
(I was a bit of a stud muffin in me youth though )
That's funny alright Al. On the subject of stud-looks, my youth was the 1980s, so it was all big hair for me [OK, mullets to be exact]. I was digging through some old photos of my kart-racing days and spotted one taken from the side at speed. The tail end of my hair was streaming out the back of the helmet in the wind. I remember being so proud of that photo back in the day, because it mirrored the look of Johnny Herbert, who used to do the same. A sort of Simon leBon on the track. After a bad day's driving, I could always leave the circuit knowing that I was the coolest looking dude out there that day. Can you believe the vanity...

Nowadays I use a burberry decked Bentley as a towcar, wear the Sparco's 'super-baggy' nomex suit and have a full sound system inside the racecar, with a neon illuminated fish-tank

I think I may need to edit this post for embarrassment reasons in a few days from now
Old 4 May 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1600822)   #102
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You ain't seen the gold anodised anti roll bar I have recently fitted on my yellow car, a fellow (un-named) competitor commented it would look real nice with a bit of under car lighting, cheeky nerd!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 4 May 2006 at 18:43.
Old 4 May 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1600880)   #103
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Al, you may as well just help yourself to the trophies when you sign-on on race morning
Old 5 May 2006, 00:33 (Ref:1600958)   #104
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You dandies aren't from the House of Lords are you ?
Old 5 May 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1601266)   #105
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dragging this out a little further -
Helen Bashford, didn't she do those Chevrons and then VERY GOOD in F1 Histerics?
Old 5 May 2006, 23:18 (Ref:1601513)   #106
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jodie Hemming took the Jordan 197 V10 around brands in last weeks 2nd Boss race in 41.6 seconds
im going to the hospiatl to have my testiy`s removed so i can havethe voice of an angel and drive like the clappers!
so far i can sing bass and do 47`s

Jodie won the F Honda(ne jedi ) series 2 yrs ago winning i believe every round and she is only 18 yrs old
i would say today the top female drivers are Danica patrick Katherine legge suzi stoddart
maybe a head to head event like the race of champions in prod saloons Fford and a slicks n wings car for ladies should be put together

Get a grid of the top girlies of today and perhaps throw in a few from the past Michelle Mouton Giovanna amati desire wilson Lillian bryner and afew good club drivers
Maybe this should be the REAL Formula woman event!

im sure a grid aof 20-30 can be easily achieved witha simple set of rules
1 days practise in each car say 20 laps each and then 10 mins qualifying for 15 lap race in each type of car to see who comes out on top
with TV coverage im sure it would be great but sadly sponsors conflicts race shedules and no doubt some egos would get in the way fo rit not to happen
Old 6 May 2006, 07:07 (Ref:1601585)   #107
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,last weekend was a great one for our british girls.Besides Jodie,Janine Payne was 4th in 1st round of TGP at Hockenheim in her Arrows A5,and in the supporting Euro F2 Amanda Whitaker won her class in both races.
In a fortnight Im off to Monaco to watch Lorina McLaughlin drive her McLaren M23 in the historic meeting.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1758265)   #108
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought this would be a good place to do regular updates on current women in racing.I was watching the italian Superstars final round yesterday.Tamara Vidali won 3 rounds to finnish 2nd in championship despite missing several rounds.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1758292)   #109
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Claudia Hürtgen. Had it not been for her F3 accident she'd have gone on to F1 success.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1758487)   #110
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add to the mix: Lynn St James.
Also Erin Crocker (who?). She won a World of Outlaws race and is now in ARCA.
Another unknown: Penni Barker-Adams. Dominated 3/4 litre class in Ont. for several years.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 01:14 (Ref:1762213)   #111
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of people tell me that Jenny Birrell was one of the best. Ive seen her on old videos and she really does fly. I just remeber her being the scary woman who ran Formula Vauxhall Junior
Old 16 Nov 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1767631)   #112
Quickoldtimer
Rookie

Quickoldtimer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without any doubt at all, the fastest most naturally talented female racer of all time was Lorraine Peck. She started karting as a raw novice in 1973, and just 15 months later finished 2nd in the world championship. But for her death the following year, she was an F1 certainty.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1767652)   #113
driftwood
Veteran

For those that do not know Lorraine was killed in a freak accident racing in the euro or world champ races
her kart left the circuit at speed and flew over a hump
The kart landed but the seat stay broke from the seat and pierced her side
I am not sure if she died at the scene or later
I tried agoogle search nowt showed up for the facts
Im sure more info will flow later
Old 16 Nov 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1767683)   #114
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Speed Event Legend

Just paged through this tread and I couldn't believe it! No mention of the great PATSY BURT.

Her best season on the Hills was in 1959 when she finished 4th Overall in the championship. Meanwhile in Sprinting she became the Inaugural British Sprint Champion in 1970.

She also campaigned various cars on the European Hills with limited success.

Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1767699)   #115
driftwood
Veteran

can 1 classify a sprinter hillclimber as a race driver
next we will be including the drag racers like sylvia hauser
i accept Michele Mouton Louise Aitkin -Walker Pat Moss from rallying as a "race driver"
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1767709)   #116
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickoldtimer
Without any doubt at all, the fastest most naturally talented female racer of all time was Lorraine Peck. She started karting as a raw novice in 1973, and just 15 months later finished 2nd in the world championship. But for her death the following year, she was an F1 certainty.
QOT Welcome to 10-10ths...nice to see you here too as well as karting.co.uk.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1767754)   #117
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Without any doubt at all, the fastest most naturally talented female racer of all time was Lorraine Peck. She started karting as a raw novice in 1973, and just 15 months later finished 2nd in the world championship. But for her death the following year, she was an F1 certainty
Her name came up only yesterday in a convesation with an ex karter, so gone but not forgotten she must have been good.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1767781)   #118
Quickoldtimer
Rookie

Hi, davyboy, I dont get on here as often as I would like and only post when I feel particularly strongly about something. To expand a little on driftwoods explanation of Lorraines accident, it was caused by a clevis pin that held the brake cable to the brake master cylinder lever coming out so causing a total loss of brakes. Senna feared Terry Fullerton, Lorraine after just 2 years karting, was getting close to being regarded as No2 in britain to TF, although I doubt she would have fully achieved that status because her father had already bought a racing car for her motor racing debut ( a Chevron B27 formula Atlantic) which presumably she would have started racing once she had become 17 (she died about a month before that birthday). Its good to know that some others remember the immense talent that was lost.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1767837)   #119
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I think the guy I was talking with was there on the day competing and he is a very good driver so if he said she was good then she was very good.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1767845)   #120
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
havent checked the full thread but did anyone mention (i think this is right) michele routon, the woman who drove the quattro rally car in the 80's and i think she held one of the records at pikes peak aswell. iam sure someone will correct me though
Old 16 Nov 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1767851)   #121
Quickoldtimer
Rookie

Hi Al, the accident occurred on the thursday before the meeting on a practice day. If the guy you spoke to was taking part, he must have been a member of the British junior kart team and a pretty good driver himself, but not (and no offence intended) quite in Lorraines class.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1767896)   #122
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Hi, davyboy, I dont get on here as often as I would like and only post when I feel particularly strongly about something. To expand a little on driftwoods explanation of Lorraines accident, it was caused by a clevis pin that held the brake cable to the brake master cylinder lever coming out so causing a total loss of brakes. Senna feared Terry Fullerton, Lorraine after just 2 years karting, was getting close to being regarded as No2 in britain to TF, although I doubt she would have fully achieved that status because her father had already bought a racing car for her motor racing debut ( a Chevron B27 formula Atlantic) which presumably she would have started racing once she had become 17 (she died about a month before that birthday). Its good to know that some others remember the immense talent that was lost.
Given the sad events of these past two weeks in karting, its particularly poignant to reflect on a major loss like Lorraine's.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1767944)   #123
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a short eulogie on this site about Lorraine.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1768014)   #124
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
One rule for everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
can 1 classify a sprinter hillclimber as a race driver
next we will be including the drag racers like sylvia hauser
i accept Michele Mouton Louise Aitkin -Walker Pat Moss from rallying as a "race driver"
One most certainly can class a SPEED EVENT driver as a "race driver" especially as you already "accept" drivers from "rallying" as a "race driver".

AFTER ALL RALLYING DRIVERS TACKLE VENUES ONE AT A TIME AND ARE BATTLING THE CLOCK JUST LIKE SPEED EVENT DRIVERS!

Old 16 Nov 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1768027)   #125
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Moulton was'nt it?