Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 15 Mar 2003, 11:52 (Ref:536854)   #101
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no worries dude,Yeah especially if a v8 race gets knock down from 10 laps to 7 laps ( if they can make to that distance)
Old 15 Mar 2003, 11:55 (Ref:536856)   #102
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
tassuperkart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That, my friend, is the politics of motorsport yeah!
L8tr dude
E
Old 15 Mar 2003, 19:50 (Ref:537307)   #103
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And especially if the laptimes the karts do show them how slow there poxy cars really are.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 00:44 (Ref:538490)   #104
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 06:23 (Ref:538599)   #105
pdun
Rookie

pdun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with only 1/4 of a litre,on per head of horsepower,car lap times look pretty sick.if i had 5 litres of v8 id be pretty cheesed off if my lap times werent about 10- 15 sec faster than a 1/4 litre kart
Old 18 Mar 2003, 08:10 (Ref:539863)   #106
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Hehehehehehe
Yeah thats fair to say. The quicker superkarts are a bit quicker than the V8's (600 HP) around Phillip Is. and Eastern Creek. I bet that sticks up their arses bwaaaahahahah!
Evidently, the performance potential of superkarts and the laptimes they can and have achieved in the past carries little weight in the overall scheme of things.
But! theres always Indy at the Goldcoast to consider yeah!?
This has been investigated as well.
The F1GP thing wont go away easily tho as we are dealing with the F1 commission and not necessarily Cams but, Cams can make things rather difficult for us as they have showed in the past. they dont consider karts as a true form of racing vehicle henc we are not categorised as a category in the Cams scheme of things but rather thrown in to "5th category" along with trucks, historics and other pain in the bum for Cams classes.
They have short memories of the adelaide heydays. (sighs)
we shall see yeah!
We need the likes of John Classen, none other than WSK himself out here for a while with his "can do, never say die coz theres always a chance" attitude, and to get rainey and lawson and Bobo Westerman, Hines and some other luminaries to lobby for it all round the world and to kick some arse.
wouldnt that be cool!
E
I really like that dude.
l8tr
E
Old 18 Mar 2003, 08:32 (Ref:539881)   #107
pdun
Rookie

pdun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep sir even if u go out and do quick times,the only people who really reconize it are karters!!!
race car fellas say yeah ok,but they still dont really give u credit or admit that karts are damm fast
what gets me in nz is the way our road racing,long track is sort of looked down apon by the sprint racing people,with there 100CC karts on a 600 meter track.
while our nats were on they had some big meeting in auckland.this was our national champs yet on the sam day heres a sprint meeting that not a national that gets far more publisity than ours???.
even the report in our nat magazine was pathetic.not a photo,but a club sprint meeting the pages are covered.
whats it like in aussie??? sprint racing gets all the glory?
Old 18 Mar 2003, 08:38 (Ref:539886)   #108
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Yup!
Much the same really.
the whole thing is really geared to ******* sprintkarts.
Sprintkarters look down on gearbox karts with suspicion dont worry about that old kid!!! Hah!
we have done some demos at the local Hobart sprint track and we got more spectators with their noses strained thru the wire than the whole rest of the meeting combines. Thos guys just marvel at how fast these things accelerate down the straight and how bloody fast they can stop.
get 'em to come out to a come "n" try day??? fuggedabowdit!
E
Old 18 Mar 2003, 15:44 (Ref:540237)   #109
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
yelodwg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E, I'm still hanging around! Now if you took away your accent (please don't ), I'd think you were talking about the status of karting in the USA. I've been to the WSK race at Laguna and the show that JR puts on is GREAT. I hope his plan will raise the level of interest in Superkarts.

In my own opinion, I can understand why the general public may not take karting seriously, I mean, they look like toys. They ought to try one and that would change their opinion

But I view Superkarts as a separate animal and to me, they definitely have appeal as a real race car. But that's MY opinion, and maybe not most other people. Although, at Laguna, I can see the interest as spectators watch. So JR's idea of putting the WSK in front of spectators at big events seems like a smart idea.

Why do you say "fuggedabowdit!" in response to "get 'em to come out to a come "n" try day"?? Why not get some big car racer's butts in a Superkart for a demo?

Tom Stephens
www.kartfinder.com
Old 19 Mar 2003, 01:55 (Ref:540819)   #110
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Hi Tom
Hehehehehehe my fuggedabowdit was actually a dig at the punters that won't come to come and try's. Not at the idea of it in the first place!!! hehehehe. You can't even get the turkeys to come out and have a go!!!!
Just Aussie humour there.
You are exactly right and i agree totally with your other points there as well.
We are looked upon to a certain extent as "lawnmower powered billycarts" by a great many motoracing punters.
Most, if not all of them are rather (*******) wide eyed when they actually get to see what these gearbox blighters are capable of, particularly at the relatively low investment price.
Usually, when I have chats with people outside race tracks they associate superkarts with the things they have seen of the indoor funkart variety. You know, bumpers all around and a bloody 5Hp Honda thumper hanging off the arse of it! Heheheheheh. (sighs)Go figger!!! LOL
L8tr M8
E
Old 19 Mar 2003, 05:49 (Ref:540865)   #111
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Yup dead right with the lawnmower powered billycarts,when I explain what laptimes and how fast these things go people look down there nose and think you're telling lies.

The Christchurch Kart club was given the oppurtunity to run at a major car meeting last year "yellow pages 500km", due to the car club taking it up with an offical who showed no interest in the idea we didn't even know about it until it was over,this was a meeting with over 10,000 people attending over the weekend.

There also seems to be a perception among sprinters that long circuit is expensive,when I think its the other way around,also a lot less protests and whinging amongst the long circuit guys.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 11:41 (Ref:541050)   #112
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
The main thing to do here is to keep on touching base with the sprintkart ladies and talk to the car boys as well. Brown nosing basically!
just keep annoying them and offer to take a twin, a single and a 125 out to the sprintkart tracks and giv 'em a demo at lunchtime.
You will be amazed at the crowd of tyre kickers that will peer thru the fence to scope out your toys!
Keep the karts there all day and have plenty of written stuff with plenty of info, pictures and race dates, particularly "come 'an tries" for them to take away with them to show their cobbers. You may get just one bite, but that bite can network out to a whole new range of dudes that may have some cash to spend but dont know jack schitt about gearbox karts.
New blood is the key but they do need a kart to have a burn around in.
The best option is an IC/E coz these things feel quite brutal and they wont try too hard in them first time out, next best is a 125. this is where you need an old aircooled thing to bolt onto someones ride for the day. Nuthin fancy.
NOT many dudes are NOT intimidated by a bellowing big inch single tucked under their armpit. The hard part is to get someone to commit to loaning their toys out for a while.
There you go.
Onee thing here is to remember to fit up the 250's with the shortest gearing you can possibly find. You can garantee a huge response by motoring out onto the track on stone cold, really old and hard slicks and jamming the loud pedal and dumping the clutch that will garantee a big burnout and a heap of doughnuts. This type of activity is major fun to do and just galvanises the spectators and they will harp on for hours to do some more. This type of hooligan behaviour ensures a good laugh and will ensure that the sight and sound of a big inch gearbox kart is not easily forgotten!
This is the type of free promotion that is invaluable. Those young sprint guys will be totally knocked out when the clap their peepers on a F/E cooking up the rear tyres dancing around doing doughnuts and many pre-pubescent stiffies will abound! LOLOL
Have fun!
E
Old 19 Mar 2003, 13:22 (Ref:541142)   #113
stevie.murray
Rookie

stevie.murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try this site uk class4 gearbox karting short&long circuit
racing.links to clubs,shop,buy,sell,parts and anything you require..

www.super4.co.uk
Old 19 Mar 2003, 17:07 (Ref:541328)   #114
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
E, Warwick, yeah, having a ride available to try sounds like such a great idea, but you are right, who wants to loan out their ride. I wouldn't I guess a club could get together and put an IC/E together for just that purpose!

Last edited by yelodwg; 19 Mar 2003 at 17:10.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 08:25 (Ref:541890)   #115
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
I've put a few people out in mine,but they have all been experienced guys in one thing or another and even going 20sec a lap slower than me thought it was awesome.

E a couple of years ago we did that at a big classic meeting and it generated a lot of interest but not a lot of new members,but da boyz are still trying!
Old 20 Mar 2003, 13:36 (Ref:542104)   #116
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Good Good Goood!
just keep plugging away at them.
The secret is however to give them a wheel of something with gears and front brakes!
E
Old 21 Mar 2003, 17:01 (Ref:543342)   #117
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
Hey, down under guys, the main shifter kart magazine in North America is Shifter Kart Illustrated (SKI magazine). Here's a snippet from the newest (March) issue:

"Another tidbit comes from the Internet, as usual. There is a big push to put a contingent together for the annual Superkart Spectacular at Australia's Eastern Creek. Set for February 2004, a number of the sport's hotshoes are looking at making the trek 'Down Under', including Gary Peterson and Johnny West. The continued success of this event and the potential participation by a solid U.S. group could help the race develop into another World Superkart Challenge. Add a race in Europe and we'd have a true world championship. Could it actually happen?"

Tom Stephens
www.kartfinder.com
Old 22 Mar 2003, 06:38 (Ref:543831)   #118
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Sure could dude!
AFAIK there are about 6 guys looking at making the trip but I think you could say that West and Petersen are definites. As for the other guys, dunno yet but they have been furiously getting quotes for shipping and the like.
Iffen a few of them get together the best way for them is to hire a container and load all their stuff in there.
The whole shebang is not that hard to organise but there needs to be enoughh of them to make it worthwhile.
I heard sniffings from Lawson and Rainey.
You only got to get westermann and Hines and one or two others interested and you have a true worl tri-nations event!
Woo Hoo!!!
E
Old 30 Mar 2003, 09:39 (Ref:552736)   #119
SevenDust
Rookie

SevenDust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superkarts in WA

Does anyone know anything about superkart racing in WA? The end of last year i whitnessed a few of the final races before the skart club closed its doors. Since then ive aquired my own 250 IC/C and i wanted to know wheres the best places for skart parts (bodykits, seats, brakes..ect) and if they are being races at all in WA?
Old 1 Apr 2003, 11:50 (Ref:554779)   #120
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Dude
I will pass on you request to Dee who is/was the club secretary.
last time i talked to her she said that the club was not ready to reopen for business due to lack of interest from many members.
Ill contact her and get back to you asap.
E
Old 1 Apr 2003, 13:35 (Ref:554895)   #121
SevenDust
Rookie

WA Superkarting

TassSK, Cheers mate that would be really handy. Inform her that I for one will be an active member and will help out as a CAMS rookie if help is needed. I also know a few other bloks who will be interesed with SKarts aswell.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 12:21 (Ref:557162)   #122
SevenDust
Rookie

I believe we all agree that Superkarts doesnt get the credit it deserves and it does lack in the spectator side. The times ive tried to see the WA races I had to phone about three people just to get a time and a place and they sounded surprised that a spectator is interested. This wasnt far from the truth when I was one of the only spectators other than the family/friends of the drivers.

Look at any other motorsport and you notice that everyone loves it because its so well known and heavily advertised about the hardcore driving and what the vehicles are capable of. Thats exactly what Superkarts needs but what it cant afford.

You guys have been right all along with your points of interest for the crowds and the glim look of superkarts in the public eye. This sport needs to be more known about if its not going to fall on its arse like the WA SKart Club.

One way might be to take a single and a twin down to a 1/4mile and gather all the stats u can (1/4time, 0-60, 0-100, 100-zero, top speed), people will be amazed, especially the ones wanting to get into racing but without the funds to do out an entire car. Advertise those stats along with an entry price for a few karts. Get a well made, low budget advert on TV and let more people into the sport to change the public opinion of 'lawnmower powered billycarts' and the sport may be made stronger.

I dunno mabey just a few suggestions, but im in WA and im willing to give up my time to help.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 14:37 (Ref:579458)   #123
the man
Veteran

Yeah that is right, if people hear how cheap the sport is and the different specs and statistics of superkarts there will be bigger grids around Australia.
When was the last Australian Championship
Old 11 Jul 2003, 10:04 (Ref:658616)   #124
tassuperkart
Racer

Australia
Tasmania
Been a bit quiet here of late. Where is everybody?
Last Oz champs were at Phillip Is in late september.
This year they are on at Mallala in South Oz on the 20th & 21st Of September.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 13:28 (Ref:660014)   #125
the man
Veteran

So tas where did you finish at the oz championships?