Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Sep 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1403793)   #101
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
think the problem is only that everything could take more time to get the carbonfibre in the needed quality and perhaps you need to qualify the material yourself. Molds for bodywork etc are not the problem i think. Dont think that Boeing produces the molds in europe. also it is possiblr for many caompanies to mill the molds for normal non automatic production of carbon parts
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1403809)   #102
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
still....that is the situation everybody in F1 ,DTM or other high calibre sports where aircraftspec carbonfibre is specified faces,and I have not heard of teams having to delay new evolutions because of Airbus industries....
You´re kidding... you don´t need a lot of fibres to do something like a lmp car.
In these quantities the molds will surely be of carbon as well....The actual bucks and masters are milled .
Old 11 Oct 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1430509)   #103
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I just checked the Radical website and they have some updates (including pictures) about the progress they are making:
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1441918)   #104
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
Engine will be Judd for the Rollcentre car because the teams think that its better to have one part from a car you know from last year and they think that a Judd engine is better for the 24H .
Both other Radicals will have AER engines (one factory, one without a name but sold)
Courtesy of Racecar Engineering: After consulting Le Mans teams, Radical have decided the SR9 will only be made available as an integrated package with the twin turbo AER 3.4 V8 engine.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1441931)   #105
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Courtesy of Racecar Engineering: After consulting Le Mans teams, Radical have decided the SR9 will only be made available as an integrated package with the twin turbo AER 3.4 V8 engine.
Sure? I thought it would only be available with the AER 2.0 turbo?

Taken from http://sr9.radicalsportscars.com
Quote:
Radical's original plan was to offer a range of engine options including its own Powertec V8. Following discussions with leading Le Mans teams, we have decided to offer a bespoke integrated engine and transmission package. We have teamed up with AER, who produce the most powerful LMP2 engine, and Ricardo, supplier of gearboxes to Audi and others, to offer a competitive, cost-effective and above all, reliable drive system.

The Powertec AER, as the engine will be know, is a sophisticated 2-litre turbo-charged engine which is extremely powerful, cost effective to run and has proven reliability.

For teams preferring to run with a normally aspirated engine, provision is made in the chassis for the 3.4 lite Judd V8 installation.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1441943)   #106
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Sure? I thought it would only be available with the AER 2.0 turbo?
The SR9 will definitely only be available with AER power. And Racecar Engineering states it will be 'AER's twin turbo V8'. I had also assumed it would be the 2l turbo, so I'm as surprised as you!!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1441954)   #107
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 3,4 l twin turbo engine would be a LMP1 engine. In LMP2 the maximum capacity is 2 litre for turbo charged engines and 3,4 litre for normally aspirated engines.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1441956)   #108
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes I think there was an error in the original information we had... it is the twin turbo 2 litre AER - a twin turbo 3.4 would be a P1 wouldn't it?
Old 24 Oct 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1442175)   #109
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Maybe that would be the SR10 with the (smaller than allowed) LMP1 engine

After much deliberation - Rollcentre's cars will have Judd V8 power (*)

(*) which in light of Porsche's decision to go that engine route, is probably not a bad decision.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1442197)   #110
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldgate
Maybe that would be the SR10 with the (smaller than allowed) LMP1 engine

After much deliberation - Rollcentre's cars will have Judd V8 power (*)

(*) which in light of Porsche's decision to go that engine route, is probably not a bad decision.
So what we're actually looking at is 2 Judd powered Rollcentre SR9's, and all subsequent SR9's AER powered.

Not exactly what was implied in the aforementioned article!!!!!

BTW, SR10 LMP1 sounds like a very good idea to me........
Old 24 Oct 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1442298)   #111
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Crashtest picturs
http://www.gt-eins.de/CMS/index.php?...d=838&Itemid=2
Old 24 Oct 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1442306)   #112
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to this article no "V9" engine in the Radical.

Maybe not the worst idea ........
Old 24 Oct 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1442326)   #113
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Yes I think there was an error in the original information we had... it is the twin turbo 2 litre AER - a twin turbo 3.4 would be a P1 wouldn't it?

The 2ltr AER is a single turbo only.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1442331)   #114
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauer 962
According to this article no "V9" engine in the Radical.

Maybe not the worst idea ........
Nice one,
I am glad that they dont start with there one engine. Easier to compare chassis with standard LMP2 engines from AER and Judd.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1443098)   #115
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what is the correct story here? The initial Rollcentre versions will be Judd-powered and the following examples will be powered by the AER?

Don't know if it makes much sense to have your 'factory-supported' team running a different package than what is available to customers...
Old 25 Oct 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1443108)   #116
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who said the Rollcentre cars were 'officially' 'factory supported'?

Rollcentre have run Judds for two years in the Dallara's, why wouldn't a team owner want to stay with what he knows to be reliable (and may already have a deal with?)
Old 25 Oct 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1443111)   #117
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
Who said the Rollcentre cars were 'officially' 'factory supported'?

Rollcentre have run Judds for two years in the Dallara's, why wouldn't a team owner want to stay with what he knows to be reliable (and may already have a deal with?)
Pretty sure that Radical themselves stated Rollcentre were going to be their distribution/dealer partners as well as a factory supported team in the LMES. I'll go back and check the article to find out for certain...
Old 25 Oct 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1443122)   #118
tblincoe
Veteran

Ok, just checked out the article... Rollcentre will not be a factory supported team, it appears Radical will have a single factory entry for the LMES in 2006 so sorry about the confusion. What is interesting is that it was more than positive that the first three examples of the SR9 (two of which make up the Rollcentre cars) would be identical AER 'bespoke turnkey cars'. I know plans change but I think we should wait for an official announcement from Radical or Rollcentre on this one... ehm, Mr. Short?
Old 25 Oct 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1443125)   #119
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was my answer in the previous post not relevant then? Rollcentre have been running with Judd power for the last two years, its a PROVEN package. And one which I'm sure Martin Short is more than happy with and more than likely has a close working relationship with.

Why change that to something new and untried? He's already having to do that with the Radical chassis, why have two (possible) headaches in development when you can do away with one and concentrate on getting the car right from the word go?
Old 25 Oct 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1443134)   #120
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You may want to actually check out the Radical website and read through what they stated when these first three cars were announced...

IIRC, all three were going to be powered by the AER engines...but I could be wrong on that...

although there would be possibilities that a customer could have Judd power fitted by Radical, I seem to recall that the "turnkey" version of their cars that you could buy straight up as a package would be AER-powered....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Oct 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1443186)   #121
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Fieldgate is very closely linked to the Rollcentre project!

Regardless of previous press releases/articles, I am quite sure that if Fieldgate says it's Judd power for Rollcentre, then it will be Judd power for Rollcentre!!!

The Racecar Engineering article I referred to previously can be found here. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the 'page forward' arrow three times. The article is at the top of the right hand page. Click on the article to magnify.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1443347)   #122
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
Was my answer in the previous post not relevant then? Rollcentre have been running with Judd power for the last two years, its a PROVEN package. And one which I'm sure Martin Short is more than happy with and more than likely has a close working relationship with.

Why change that to something new and untried? He's already having to do that with the Radical chassis, why have two (possible) headaches in development when you can do away with one and concentrate on getting the car right from the word go?
What you posted or what 'makes sense' is not relevant if the only press releases we have from Radical and Rollcentre to-date say that the cars will be AER-powered.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1443434)   #123
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
What you posted or what 'makes sense' is not relevant if the only press releases we have from Radical and Rollcentre to-date say that the cars will be AER-powered.
However they won't! See Fieldgate's post above
Old 25 Oct 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1443473)   #124
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
However they won't! See Fieldgate's post above
Read it after I posted... it does make sense for Short and company to keep with the Judd family, but it is interesting that Radical has switched its plans to create 3 identical cars at the start of the production run. Will Rollcentre still be getting the discounted price after the engine switch?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 06:11 (Ref:1443588)   #125
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
Read it after I posted... it does make sense for Short and company to keep with the Judd family, but it is interesting that Radical has switched its plans to create 3 identical cars at the start of the production run. Will Rollcentre still be getting the discounted price after the engine switch?
I don't think there's been an engine switch by Rollcentre. I think there has been a change of engine policy by Radical, which surely shouldn't have any bearing on the price agreed with Rollcentre!

OT Welcome back!!