Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1419657)   #101
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as normal walshy you have lost me?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1419664)   #102
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heats on Saturday and semis on Sunday maybe better for spectators, but absolutely no difference to drivers surely?

Will be still be set-up Wednesday night and go home Sunday night.

The Festival is all about being the longest event in FF1600, with plenty of testing and social evenings. Make it just Saturday and Sunday and it'll be just another weekend, IMO.

I've checked and for the vast majority of those who have commented unfavourably on here and on the ff1600 website, I can't seem to find their names on the entry lists for the last year or two... What reasons/excuses were there then?

Can anyone remind me what the entry fee was in 2004, and what it is this year?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:15 (Ref:1419671)   #103
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It does matter to drivers who might have sponsors coming over, or friends to watch, but only on the weekend. And as you rightly say, the Festival is all about this being an event and by relegating some of the most important action to the Friday it loses that.

By starting qualifying later on Friday it means that those that don't want to don't have to turn up until Friday morning, potentially saving a day or more off work.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1419673)   #104
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
I've checked and for the vast majority of those who have commented unfavourably on here and on the ff1600 website, I can't seem to find their names on the entry lists for the last year or two... What reasons/excuses were there then?
A good many weren't racing in FF1600 then, and many will have been tempted to come out this year who weren't before by the hope of it being a bigger, better event.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1419688)   #105
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
A good many weren't racing in FF1600 then, and many will have been tempted to come out this year who weren't before by the hope of it being a bigger, better event.
Everybody has an opinion but should those who have NEVER, EVER entered before have the right to jump up and down so much?

I must say that I think last year's timetable was a little better as it allows testing on Friday morning, but it isn't the end of the bloody world!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1419695)   #106
Redracer77
Veteran

Quote:
Everybody has an opinion but should those who have NEVER, EVER entered before have the right to jump up and down so much?

I must say that I think last year's timetable was a little better as it allows testing on Friday morning, but it isn't the end of the bloody world!
You have said it yourself John that everyone has their own opinion that is why people post on here. We all know that the BRSCC can't develop an event that is to all drivers liking but the main problem is that most drivers struggle with time (and money) so as much as the Festival is a "long event" and that has been tradition there will be a number of drivers who can't justify the time to be off work from Wednesday night. So a compact weekend will still be the festival but could bring out a few more runners which would make the festival a better specticle?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1419699)   #107
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Quote:

No it isn't, but it could be the beginning of the end of the Festival. Whether they have entered before or not, I think everybody who has commented on the FF1600 site is or was seriously considering an entry this year. So as potential customers, surely the BRSCC would be interested in hearing their views?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1419701)   #108
JohnMiller
Veteran

I wouldn't disagree with your comments above, but feel that the negative feeling is far too over the top.

Maybe somebody will remind me how much the entry fee was last year compared to this.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1419704)   #109
JohnMiller
Veteran

It's also only a matter of time before some people will realise just how little tracktime they will get at the free WHT testing and start moaning at the expense and time off work due to having to test in the preceeding weeks.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1419727)   #110
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daly and peeps seem quiet
Old 29 Sep 2005, 09:46 (Ref:1419740)   #111
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Heats on Saturday and semis on Sunday maybe better for spectators, but absolutely no difference to drivers surely?

Will be still be set-up Wednesday night and go home Sunday night.

The Festival is all about being the longest event in FF1600, with plenty of testing and social evenings. Make it just Saturday and Sunday and it'll be just another weekend, IMO.

Can anyone remind me what the entry fee was in 2004, and what it is this year?
I've never made any secrets of the fact that I won't be doing it mate. And I haven't done it in the past as the car was never competitive. This year, I am looking at it from a spectators point of view and with only 2 Formula Ford races on the Saturday and 2 on the Sunday, It hardly constitutes a festival of all things Formula Ford..........

Maybe next year though.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1419741)   #112
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
as normal walshy you have lost me?
The "will he", "won't he" saga again............

Old 29 Sep 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1419745)   #113
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Quote:
It's also only a matter of time before some people will realise just how little tracktime they will get at the free WHT testing and start moaning at the expense and time off work due to having to test in the preceeding weeks.
You said it yourself again John.

FREE Tracktime. Even if you only get 30 minutes running. It's 30 minutes running of FREE Tracktime. And on Friday. Not Thursday. You only need to take a Friday off. You will still get as much testing as everyone else and it won't cost you anything. Just the job.......
Old 29 Sep 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1419754)   #114
Redracer77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy
The "will he", "won't he" saga again............

Only normal in my business Mr Walsh my diary changes daily so it is hard to say. I could be anywhere in the world who knows but if I can support it I will. It would also require an engine that doesn't blow a crank seal after 6 laps like it did 3 times a brands last week.....

John,

I think you will be right with regards to WHT but it is still free. With over 100 cars I am sure each driver will end up with 2 x 20 minute sessions on the Friday but is that not enough to remind yourself of the Silverstone national circuit?

If the BRSCC copied what they did at Cadwell earlier this year for MSV next year then I wouldn't bother testing at all as all you do is drive round for the sake of driving round. You just need a couple of laps to get you back in the swing of things.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1419765)   #115
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinDawkins
Daly and peeps seem quiet
Matt did speak with Peter and Gavin recently and hopefully you will be able to read their views soon.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1419770)   #116
Redracer77
Veteran

Mr Daly was snooping round the FF1600 paddock at the A1 GP. Looked like he had just stumbled out of his local Witherspoons pub!!!! (Only joking Pete!!)
Old 29 Sep 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1419962)   #117
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy
I've never made any secrets of the fact that I won't be doing it mate. And I haven't done it in the past as the car was never competitive. This year, I am looking at it from a spectators point of view and with only 2 Formula Ford races on the Saturday and 2 on the Sunday, It hardly constitutes a festival of all things Formula Ford..........

Maybe next year though.
I am one of those spectators and after seeing the timetable for what is supposed to be one of the highlights of the year for fford i thought the BRSCC were having a laugh, the thought of travelling across from deepest darkest wiltshire with my son and a mate for just two fford races on the sunday is just not worth it,who in their right mind is gonna watch racing on a friday for christ sake a majorty of us diehards are working not all of us can get the time off.
Yeah i'm only doing the sunday but that's for personal reasons but its has been the day of the semi's and final's since the running of the event.
as one or two have said they were happy about the timetable but you are in a minorty,but as i've found out the selfishness of the minorty sometimes overules the majority,just give us loyal ff1600 fans some thought
Old 29 Sep 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1420344)   #118
itsonlyme
Racer

England
itsonlyme has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The title of this thread is ............ "05 FESTIVAL - WILL I BE DISAPPOINTED" .......... i think people are getting side tracked here, the race weekend is called the 'FORMULA FORD FESTIVAL' so forget about the drivers etc for a second, what about all the joe public, mechanics and helpers etc who attend this meeting every year to witness formula ford race after formula ford race - which the name of the meeting suggests!, or have a weekend watching rather than racing themselves (like Walshy for example), as they have done for the last 30 odd years or whatever it is (admitedly since zetecs have been introduced it has lost its edge dramatically IMHO)

I can remember all the pushing and shoving and queing from 7am to get a seat in the Paddock Hill grandstand (even on a friday!) to watch 8 ff1600 heats (all full grids with reserves!), 4 quarter finals, 2 semi finals and the grand final, along with this there was chances to go get a brew and stretch your legs etc when they had a fiesta race or sports 2000 race inbetween!

I have never raced as i have never been lucky enough to be able to afford it , but have been involved at the festival looking after cars, being there as a gofer or because it was such a good weekend just going down for the atmosphere and extremely good close formula ford racing since i was a baby, but why would i want to travel from liverpool and book time off work this year to watch a couple of races that will probably be cut short or (heaven forbid) cancelled because they are/were scheduled to be run at a stupid time of the day?

Don't forget people travel even further than i would be travelling, and if i feel it is not worth the hassle surely they will too!
This now means that there could or probably could be a very poor spectator turnout and sponsors who attend this "end of year spectacle" (which the drivers have told them is the best weekend of formula ford racing of the season, which will have a huge audience to advertise to, and probably the only reason they can afford to race at the festival) will think it is just a normal race meeting and wonder why the driver has 'hyped up' a normal clubbie meeting and possibly could reconsider next seasons sponsorship deals!!

Anyway my eyes and fingers are hurting now, so to sum it up ......... YES i think a lot of people will be disappointed, but at the end of the day organising and running a race meeting is purely about making money and i feel if the festival name is being misused and no wonder the WHT is being called the 'new festival' !!!!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1420450)   #119
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyme
The title of this thread is ............ "05 FESTIVAL - WILL I BE DISAPPOINTED" .......... i think people are getting side tracked here, the race weekend is called the 'FORMULA FORD FESTIVAL' so forget about the drivers etc for a second, what about all the joe public, mechanics and helpers etc who attend this meeting every year to witness formula ford race after formula ford race - which the name of the meeting suggests!, or have a weekend watching rather than racing themselves (like Walshy for example), as they have done for the last 30 odd years or whatever it is (admitedly since zetecs have been introduced it has lost its edge dramatically IMHO)

I can remember all the pushing and shoving and queing from 7am to get a seat in the Paddock Hill grandstand (even on a friday!) to watch 8 ff1600 heats (all full grids with reserves!), 4 quarter finals, 2 semi finals and the grand final, along with this there was chances to go get a brew and stretch your legs etc when they had a fiesta race or sports 2000 race inbetween!

I have never raced as i have never been lucky enough to be able to afford it , but have been involved at the festival looking after cars, being there as a gofer or because it was such a good weekend just going down for the atmosphere and extremely good close formula ford racing since i was a baby, but why would i want to travel from liverpool and book time off work this year to watch a couple of races that will probably be cut short or (heaven forbid) cancelled because they are/were scheduled to be run at a stupid time of the day?

Don't forget people travel even further than i would be travelling, and if i feel it is not worth the hassle surely they will too!
This now means that there could or probably could be a very poor spectator turnout and sponsors who attend this "end of year spectacle" (which the drivers have told them is the best weekend of formula ford racing of the season, which will have a huge audience to advertise to, and probably the only reason they can afford to race at the festival) will think it is just a normal race meeting and wonder why the driver has 'hyped up' a normal clubbie meeting and possibly could reconsider next seasons sponsorship deals!!

Anyway my eyes and fingers are hurting now, so to sum it up ......... YES i think a lot of people will be disappointed, but at the end of the day organising and running a race meeting is purely about making money and i feel if the festival name is being misused and no wonder the WHT is being called the 'new festival' !!!!
I never thought I would see the day when my son and heir would string so many sentences together. It is usually a call asking "Dad, will you type something up for me" Well done Steve, I knew you could do it.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1420578)   #120
itsonlyme
Racer

England
itsonlyme has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i was only giving an honest opinion, because (even though i would get a free ticket via a competitor) the gate receipts and entry levels would surely drop without formula fords being at the formula ford festival, thus making the BRSCC wonder if it was worth having the meeting in future - what a disaster !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 Sep 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1420917)   #121
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope the BRSCC see sense and change the timeable,i really want to go myself but unless its changed i can't see us making the trip,think i'll go and do some of this
Old 30 Sep 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1421052)   #122
rf91
Rookie

rf91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no3 at kirkistown

looks like edgar is not to old to still win races
Old 30 Sep 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1421135)   #123
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking to some of the guys over here in Ireland alot of them are going to hang on and do the WHT instead because of the time table.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1422180)   #124
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not a bad idea Nev, given that the entry list is tipped to top 100 this year. I understand it is currently around 75 entered with 5 weeks to go. Some of whom are probably waiting until after the festival to see if they still have a car to race.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1422249)   #125
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
nev & lee - you guys at the festival?