Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jun 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3554774)   #1226
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, bit of luck today. After last week's ferry sagas I caught a morning boat from Calais without drama (OK - lapsed booking and having to phone for new one aside ), and then heard that 'wild cat strikes' closed the port again this afternoon!

Now calculating whether can afford Portsmouth / Caen next week to be on safe side....... Have heard the 'Commodore's Cabin' upgrade is worth the extra!

Old 29 Jun 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3554778)   #1227
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Wow, bit of luck today. After last week's ferry sagas I caught a morning boat from Calais without drama (OK - lapsed booking and having to phone for new one aside ), and then heard that 'wild cat strikes' closed the port again this afternoon!

Now calculating whether can afford Portsmouth / Caen next week to be on safe side....... Have heard the 'Commodore's Cabin' upgrade is worth the extra!

What does Commodore Class include these days?

Goblin teas maid?

Back a long time ago I and a work colleague travelled Commodore Class on the Harwich - Hamburg route.

Decent proper cabin for 2 above deck, dark wood decor, bowl of fruit and a better set of options in the restaurant.

That was a 24hr or so passage of course. Made the free shower gel and hair wash all the more deployable.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 05:32 (Ref:3554836)   #1228
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Goblin teas maid?
There's a joke there but don't want to risk a ban.....

Apparently Commodore Class cabin includes flat screen TV, DVD player, 3 beds, posh fittings etc etc. Given the short duration of night crossing, maybe not!

Latest- Calais wildcat strikes likely to last ALL WEEK !!!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 30 Jun 2015 at 05:37.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:58 (Ref:3554847)   #1229
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calais port still closed today, MFL strikers likely to target the tunnel later. They've had migrant problems again overnight on the trains so aren't running a full service. Operation Stack is in place. We got our guys out via Newhaven but spaces are very limited.

Stack is no fun Mike, treat yourself and go to Caen.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 09:10 (Ref:3554854)   #1230
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I had to mow the lawn on Saturday, made my commute to the workshop that much smoother yesterday morning.
Attached Thumbnails
garden0615.JPG  
Old 30 Jun 2015, 09:44 (Ref:3554859)   #1231
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Stack is no fun Mike, treat yourself and go to Caen.
Stack was 'interesting' to experience, but as ferries were leaving Dover the queue moved along! Not so good if nothing is happening, I imagine.

Most likely will use Caen route Monday, but not Commodore class.......
Old 30 Jun 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3554876)   #1232
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There's a joke there but don't want to risk a ban.....

Apparently Commodore Class cabin includes flat screen TV, DVD player, 3 beds, posh fittings etc etc. Given the short duration of night crossing, maybe not!

Latest- Calais wildcat strikes likely to last ALL WEEK !!!
La Comtesse refuses to travel anything other than Commodore. Breakfast brought to your room, fridge stacked with soft drinks, TV, DVD, bowl of fruit and no skanky people running up and down outside. Just do it.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3554877)   #1233
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard that Op Stack phase 3 is about to be implemented for the first time ever, this involves closing both carriageways of the M20 between 8 & 9 so the parallel A20 will be fun for locals & motorway refugees alike. KCC organising water supplies for truckers cooking on the concrete. Strikers are on their way to Dunkerque & Boulogne (where they have been operating a disembark only service). Strangely no word on whether the tunnel is blocked yet. Newhaven/Dieppe have even closed their waiting list. Feeling very smug as we have all the bookings we need both ways, for this week at any rate.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 13:07 (Ref:3554894)   #1234
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spoke too soon! "Tunnel closed for the rest of the day"
Old 30 Jun 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3554899)   #1235
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Spoke too soon! "Tunnel closed for the rest of the day"
I read somewhere that the strikers intend to keep this up all week.

(ETA: Just seen that Mike mentioned this earlier.)

Could be a salad shortage in a day or so. After that who knows. I predict expensive Tomatoes flown in from places to the south.

However I would imagine that is the least of the problems.

Last edited by grantp; 30 Jun 2015 at 14:18.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3554901)   #1236
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must admit that I find the attitude of the French authorities puzzling, to put it mildly.

This "strike" activity is due to the fact that Eurotunnel have been ordered by Brussels to sell off the MyFerryLink ferries and services, and Eurotunnel are complying with the EU's edict. So why are the French gov't allowing the total disruption of cross channel to happen, and also allowing "strikers" to trespass on Eurotunnels tracks where they were setting fire to tyres.

Can you imagine the stink that the French would kick up if UK workers blocked our own ferry terminals. It would probably lead to WW111.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 14:46 (Ref:3554912)   #1237
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I read somewhere that the strikers intend to keep this up all week.

(ETA: Just seen that Mike mentioned this earlier.)

Could be a salad shortage in a day or so. After that who knows. I predict expensive Tomatoes flown in from places to the south.

However I would imagine that is the least of the problems.
No worries Grant - I can export from 'up north' - toms and salad crops doing nicely!
Old 30 Jun 2015, 15:46 (Ref:3554924)   #1238
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We escaped early from the Festival of Greed to avoid this, missing out on collecting the winners medal and fizzy pop was one of our better ideas!

Around 4 this afternoon they said there was an 8-10 hour delay in getting on a ferry.

As last week, presumably the Dunkirk lot who the fuss is about (they've bought the ferries) aren't directly affected?
Old 30 Jun 2015, 17:44 (Ref:3554982)   #1239
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
No worries Grant - I can export from 'up north' - toms and salad crops doing nicely!
I may hold you to that idea Gary!

I tried growing a few things last year but the stuff that worked was met with great negativity and meant I ended up trying to find ways to use it that people would not spot.

The stuff that didn't work was just annoying. Started but didn't finish.

This year I decided not to bother. Cheaper to buy stuff in a shop despite the previous capital investment in equipment.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 19:05 (Ref:3554994)   #1240
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>So why are the French gov't allowing the total disruption of cross channel to happen

Because they're French? Anything to inconvenience Les Rosbifs?
Old 30 Jun 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3555002)   #1241
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>So why are the French gov't allowing the total disruption of cross channel to happen

Because they're French? Anything to inconvenience Les Rosbifs?
Coincidental that we are just entering the busy holiday period?
Old 30 Jun 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3555052)   #1242
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Coincidental that we are just entering the busy holiday period?
For once it isn't, it's related to when they all lost their jobs at short notice.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3555120)   #1243
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
For once it isn't, it's related to when they all lost their jobs at short notice.
Yes, for once! My observation was very tongue in cheek Peter, and have sympathy for all the MFL workers affected. Also for P&O, and the freight booking agents who are frantically trying to keep customers moving!

Now hear that 'strike' due to end midnight Thursday? I'm booked Caen route for next week just in case.......
Old 1 Jul 2015, 06:21 (Ref:3555121)   #1244
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There're Fench.

They love it. Having "un greve" (strike) is a national pastime.

I remember once when I was living in Lille in the very early '90's the tabacs were all shut becuase of a strike against tobacco products having to carry a health warning. They reckoned it would put them (tabac owners) out of business!!

It was supposed to last a week but they were all open again by Wednesday to cater for the students' demand for beer!(the university in Lille is quite big and the nearby tabacs were renowned for beer being a few francs cheaper than the cafes!!)
Old 1 Jul 2015, 10:16 (Ref:3555146)   #1245
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Yes, for once! My observation was very tongue in cheek Peter, and have sympathy for all the MFL workers affected. Also for P&O, and the freight booking agents who are frantically trying to keep customers moving!

Now hear that 'strike' due to end midnight Thursday? I'm booked Caen route for next week just in case.......
I thought it was tongue in cheek and as we know it is usually the case, if you're going to have a strike best have it at a time when people notice!

What struck us when we passed all the parked lorries was that most of them had the same names as the container trains that pass near us.
If more use was made of rail freight in the UK there could be far fewer lorries crossing which would ease the problem - of course that would require an upgrade of the infrastructure and using the tunnel in a way that it was originally intended.
And given that public transport is a thing of the past in the UK it won't happen.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3555564)   #1246
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Banned from Tesco's (pinched from elsewhere)

I'VE BEEN BANNED FROM TESCO'S

Yesterday I was at my local Tesco's store buying a large bag of My Dog dog food for my loyal pet and was in the checkout queue when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had an elephant? So, since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Dog Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn’t, because I ended up in hospital last time, but I'd lost 10 kilograms before I woke up in intensive care with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pockets with My Dog nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in queue was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked me if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped off the kerb to sniff an Irish Setter's arse and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I'm now banned from Tesco's

Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of daft things to say.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3555574)   #1247
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant, Mike. I was laughing out loud in the office!!
Old 3 Jul 2015, 13:59 (Ref:3555614)   #1248
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Brilliant had me in tears laughing.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 3 Jul 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3555625)   #1249
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

Horrified, she asked me if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped off the kerb to sniff an Irish Setter's arse and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I'm now banned from Tesco's

Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of daft things to say.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 3 Jul 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3555667)   #1250
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - the funniest thing I've heard for ages.

Thank you