Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Oct 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4183296)   #1301
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
There was a picture in the Times yesterday of a 65m long wind-turbine blade being transported through Hawick in the Scottish Borders - one of 21 for the Pines Burn wind farm. Seemed to be anchored at the neck of the artic trailer, sticking up at a 45 degree angle, it redefined the definition of a high load!
When I was out on the road all of the time I saw a lot of those Turbine blades .
I believe there was a factory near Southampton which made them . So possibly sent on a boat to the nearest port , then sometimes a road trip to where it was being built .
But they do look quite amazing on road transport .
Old 28 Oct 2023, 20:11 (Ref:4183369)   #1302
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Us OAPS have to keep fit, I filmed this the other week at one of our local beach bars, I am actually in it !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLnCkKrW8U
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Oct 2023, 10:47 (Ref:4183510)   #1303
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Looking at the planned run for this weekends large load , it seems that it is only going about halfway on 1 day then carrying on on another day .

The first one took about 12 hours to do its route , under 30 miles .
So although this one is heavier , it might be that the first one was going beyond the drivers max hours per day , so something was said along the lines of not complying with regulations , and they have had to change the original idea.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1718556479064613008

Short video of the load going up hill just after leaving Ipswich Docks today .
Just imagine the job of trying to plan the route for something this size to get it out through the town .
Old 29 Oct 2023, 11:44 (Ref:4183516)   #1304
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1718556479064613008

Short video of the load going up hill just after leaving Ipswich Docks today .
Just imagine the job of trying to plan the route for something this size to get it out through the town .

They do choose the docks knowing that, firstly, the docks can handle the load and, secondly, that they have a route that they can navigate no matter the difficulties.
Old 29 Oct 2023, 12:59 (Ref:4183526)   #1305
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In a similar vein, I recall some years ago negotiating a contract for the manufacture, load out and sailaway of some.massive electrical modules. The successful company was from Singapore. I recall asking what everyone at the table considered a stupid question. Which was; is there enough depth for the loaded vessels to sail away? 18months later we slapped a massive delay claim on the contractor because he couldn't get the goods out of the port.
Old 29 Oct 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4183530)   #1306
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If anyone is interested in new "vessels" I do recommend Transat Jacques Vabre. Worth a view.
Old 29 Oct 2023, 17:31 (Ref:4183543)   #1307
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
On our way home now from Portimao . Nice weekend . Duncan achieved the 700 race in his Alexis .
Old 29 Oct 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4183544)   #1308
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
On our way home now from Portimao . Nice weekend . Duncan achieved the 700 race in his Alexis .
Is he going for 1,000 mow??

Whatever, do pass-on my congratulations to the old boy.
Old 29 Oct 2023, 18:30 (Ref:4183551)   #1309
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks John. 750 might be possible but he is 79 so we shall just have to wait and see .
Old 29 Oct 2023, 19:40 (Ref:4183558)   #1310
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks John. 750 might be possible but he is 79 so we shall just have to wait and see .
I read a story recently about a New Zealander still racing motor bikes at the age of 92 so you never know...
Old 30 Oct 2023, 06:19 (Ref:4183635)   #1311
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Moons ago I had the privilege to attend and enter a race-demo held at Montlhéry. I was totally fascinated by John Surtees. It was hard for him to walk but once on this bike, what an elegance on wheels he showed. An unmatched style. Great souvenir for all spectators (for Villa, King Ago, Phil Read and some others too).
Old 30 Oct 2023, 11:44 (Ref:4183684)   #1312
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Moons ago I had the privilege to attend and enter a race-demo held at Montlhéry. I was totally fascinated by John Surtees. It was hard for him to walk but once on this bike, what an elegance on wheels he showed. An unmatched style. Great souvenir for all spectators (for Villa, King Ago, Phil Read and some others too).
John lived very close to me and I would often see him at a local welding/fabricating firm run by two of his old employees who used to build his chassis and components back in the day in Edenbridge. He still had a terrific collection of bikes including the ones that he raced in period and would often give them a run up his private drive. He was a very hard taskmaster when he ran his F1 team
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Oct 2023, 16:37 (Ref:4183735)   #1313
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
79? Good grief.

Duncan is one of the few people I can think of who does not seem to have aged much at all in the past ten years or so since I first met him.

I'll have to dig up some old photos to see it that is fact or if my memory is getting bad.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 17:08 (Ref:4183741)   #1314
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
He was a very hard taskmaster when he ran his F1 team
Did they use a lot of rivets to keep the F1 body parts together? Looked weired imo.
Old 30 Oct 2023, 21:37 (Ref:4183774)   #1315
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Well long day . Over 900 miles .just up the road from Caen . Managed to book early ferry tomorrow . We pushed on as have to get the Lotus 22 to the shippers first thing Wednesday .
Old 31 Oct 2023, 09:50 (Ref:4183823)   #1316
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Well long day . Over 900 miles .just up the road from Caen . Managed to book early ferry tomorrow . We pushed on as have to get the Lotus 22 to the shippers first thing Wednesday .
When I did the Algarve Rally a few years ago I used the Plymouth to Santander ferry .Cant remember the costings of the ferry verses road tolls and fuel , but it did mean a lot less time on the road and a good nights sleep on the boat .
Although one time there was a gale in the Bay of Biscay . No problem, just slept though it .
Old 31 Oct 2023, 13:41 (Ref:4183839)   #1317
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes Tel . I’m afraid the last time I did long crossing I was with Mike . He was a good sailer but we were both so blooming I’ll that trip I vowed never again . Back on home turf and looking forward to a proper cup of tea .?
Old 31 Oct 2023, 14:01 (Ref:4183841)   #1318
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Yes Tel . I’m afraid the last time I did long crossing I was with Mike . He was a good sailer but we were both so blooming I’ll that trip I vowed never again . Back on home turf and looking forward to a proper cup of tea .?
Yes , I suppose if the boat trips do not agree with you then the shorter crossings are better .
I have done hundreds of ferry crossings and I might be lucky that they do not affect me . Once on an Isle Of Man ferry had what was described as the roughest crossing for 50 years , but no problem .Could hear the boat going up and down . As it went up most people went AAAARGH , and when it went down they went UUURGH .

So planning the shortest sea route is a good idea even if it means a lot more road mileage .
Old 31 Oct 2023, 14:42 (Ref:4183846)   #1319
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We should move on but I do have a chuckle . Mike was always lecturing about what to do with rough crossings . I stayed in the room close to the loo. Mike came back giving it large about me staying in bed . Few minutes later he rushed to the toilet .
Old 31 Oct 2023, 14:51 (Ref:4183848)   #1320
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Also having used long and short ferry trips over the last 60 years I just think it's pot luck as to good or bad.
The bay of Biscay route that I have used loads of times when taking stuff down to Spain can be ok or horrendous at any time of the year, I can also remember a Calais to Dover crossing years ago where we sat for 6 hours off the coast !
Obviously we can use the tunnel now that is quick and easy but the channel ferries are more interesting, and you can have a pint at the same time as talking about how good we all were in the race !
Old 31 Oct 2023, 15:10 (Ref:4183852)   #1321
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Also having used long and short ferry trips over the last 60 years I just think it's pot luck as to good or bad.
The bay of Biscay route that I have used loads of times when taking stuff down to Spain can be ok or horrendous at any time of the year, I can also remember a Calais to Dover crossing years ago where we sat for 6 hours off the coast !
Obviously we can use the tunnel now that is quick and easy but the channel ferries are more interesting, and you can have a pint at the same time as talking about how good we all were in the race !
One thing I remember about a Santander / Plymouth crossing was loading at Santander. Waiting while doing a Carnet at customs and saw a white Rolls Royce drove past with gold plated door handles and bonnet mascot and the driver was a fat greasy looking bloke with a white suit .
When I got off at Plymouth , went to customs to get carnet signed out , and there was the Rolls being dismantled in the Customs shed .
Did have a slight laugh .
Old 31 Oct 2023, 15:28 (Ref:4183856)   #1322
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
One thing I remember about a Santander / Plymouth crossing was loading at Santander. Waiting while doing a Carnet at customs and saw a white Rolls Royce drove past with gold plated door handles and bonnet mascot and the driver was a fat greasy looking bloke with a white suit .
When I got off at Plymouth , went to customs to get carnet signed out , and there was the Rolls being dismantled in the Customs shed .
Did have a slight laugh .
I came back from Spain in the 70s towing a speedboat with two motocross bikes inside of it. All was going well waiting to go through the customs "shed" until a jobsworth walked down the line and took a look at me with my hair about 2 foot long ! 3 hrs later with all the panels of the tow van removed and the boat emptied out I had the job of putting it all back together
Old 31 Oct 2023, 17:44 (Ref:4183864)   #1323
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
I came back from Spain in the 70s towing a speedboat with two motocross bikes inside of it. All was going well waiting to go through the customs "shed" until a jobsworth walked down the line and took a look at me with my hair about 2 foot long ! 3 hrs later with all the panels of the tow van removed and the boat emptied out I had the job of putting it all back together

When I saw the Rolls being pulled apart I did think that he was such an obvious target he probably had his mate in a plain car just behind him carrying all of his dodgy stuff while he distracted the customs .
Old 31 Oct 2023, 18:56 (Ref:4183873)   #1324
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if they still do it, but in the past Customs and Excise have often travelled on ferries to France, Spain and other countries and spend the crossing times having a look at all the vehicles on board. If the saw anything that they thought to be suspicious/dodgy, they would notify their colleagues prior to docking so that they could pull them aside for a thorough examination.

It's a bit like in airports because they often station officers in civilian clothes at the immigration desks and in the baggage halls to watch for what they deem to be suspicious activity. And sometimes these things are not by chance either and is based on intelligence that has been gathered; once I was waiting outside the terminal building at East Midlands when a couple of policeman and a Customs Officer apprehended a fairly elderly lady stood a couple of feet away from me. They made he remove her coat, and strapped to her arms were countless watches which she had obviously smuggled in to the country. It was explained to me that by letting her go through Customs and out into a public area, she had committed a more serious felony.

This was explained to me by the police officer who was escorting me out of the building. I should explain. I and my family had just returned from a short break in Spain, and whilst there, I purchased a few antique firearms that had been officially de-commissioned and which could never be re-commissioned. We had been delayed, through no fault of our own, in getting to the airport and the airline handlers rushed us through to the plane that was waiting for us, and the airline staff refused to take the guns for safe keeping on the flight. And because of that, I was still had the guns in my hand luggage when we arrived back in Blighty, but which I did declare to Customs.

They then called the police who examined the guns, found that they actually posed no danger, but still felt the need to escort me out of the terminal, and watched me until I left the airport.
Old 1 Nov 2023, 05:33 (Ref:4183906)   #1325
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
But still felt the need to escort me out of the terminal, and watched me until I left the airport.
Yes, yes, yes… and old criminal lady… and you carrying guns and rockets but found innocent… We know, you, Mike Harte, you cant fool us anymore, you're a serial entertainer. You're NOT under arrest and MUST keep on telling us nice stories. NOW!