Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 13 Feb 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2397087)   #1301
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So er Andy, you had anything to do with the livery? i heard that the AA are the main sponsor this true?
And you doing the BTCC grid graphics again?
simon
Old 13 Feb 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2397130)   #1302
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
like I'm going to say who is the sponsor! ha ha ha.

Yes, did the livery, yes I'll be doing the Spotters Guide
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2397145)   #1303
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
There absolutely 100% new builts. Nothing to do with any of the Focus' that have appeared in the ETCC/WTCC before.
I'm aware of that and despite a facelift the overall shape of the car is still the same, I can't see the Arena cars being drastically different from the previous WTCC cars in terms of how they look.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:35 (Ref:2397225)   #1304
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No - but what i was meaning is don't use the old WTCC ones as any sort of judge of performance for the Arena ones
Old 14 Feb 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2397291)   #1305
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Nice article on Arena in Autosport this week too.

Interesting to know that Arena were talking to Ford about a works deal, but they decided not to in October/November and that Honda were wanting Chilton in a Dynamics works team.
Can't see why Chilton would be linked to any "works" deal judged on his performances after 05.

I have a theroy with Thompson in that he has now tested for 3 teams who will need cash from him for the drive therefore could it be possible that Thompson has secured a personal sponser to pay for the drive and Thompson is evaluating which team he wants to spend his money with?
Old 14 Feb 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2397311)   #1306
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More likely, is the teams are paying Thompson for his feedback and guidance on settings.

Using a driver of known quality to give the team a reliable 'baseline' setup is a good investment of time and money, especially as if they run, the teams will almost certainly be using 'pay drivers' of much lesser ability.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2397327)   #1307
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Gibleto
More likely, is the teams are paying Thompson for his feedback and guidance on settings.

Using a driver of known quality to give the team a reliable 'baseline' setup is a good investment of time and money, especially as if they run, the teams will almost certainly be using 'pay drivers' of much lesser ability.
Absolutely true. Also, he's a top driver and certainly not lacking offers in Btcc, Stcc, Gt and whatever has four wheels and a roof on the head of the driver
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2397382)   #1308
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
where has Chilton's money come from
Read these storys & come to your own conclusion ;-)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7a8d5b96-7...nclick_check=1

or

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...&new=&x=34&y=4
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2397385)   #1309
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Can't see why Chilton would be linked to any "works" deal judged on his performances after 05.
Because he brings a stack of dosh with him. Do you realize how much he contributed to Honda Racing's budget last time out?
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:44 (Ref:2397397)   #1310
snowen250
Veteran

Quote:
andy_blike I'm going to say who is the sponsor! ha ha ha.
Awww well worth a try lol! Not even a clue to the colour? :P

Simon
Old 14 Feb 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2397505)   #1311
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Because he brings a stack of dosh with him. Do you realize how much he contributed to Honda Racing's budget last time out?
Yep I know he's in BTCC because he brings a good budget but when you start talking "works" deal Chiltons not a name you would select if your paying drivers.

As for Thompson, is he being paid by the teams who have tested him then as i can't see him doing it for free including travelling costs.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2397510)   #1312
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yep I know he's in BTCC because he brings a good budget but when you start talking "works" deal Chiltons not a name you would select if your paying drivers.
It's not always just about results, sometimes it's about being able to present the right image. Some drivers are quick but when it comes to giving an interview they can barely string two words together. Chilton is clearly happy dealing with the media and enjoys doing the PR thing. Look at his appearances on Top Gear for example or interviews during ITV's BTCC coverage. That 'spiky haired yoof' image is exactly the sort of thing that Honda want when doing marketing.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2397577)   #1313
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
As for Thompson, is he being paid by the teams who have tested him then as i can't see him doing it for free including travelling costs.
I don't think he's doing it for free, especially as they seem to have called him. He wouldn't mind staying at home for a year, he said, so it's up to the teams to attract him. I believe he's going to be on the grid in Btcc, though... Not a news, just a feeling I have
Old 14 Feb 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2397593)   #1314
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
It's not always just about results, sometimes it's about being able to present the right image. Some drivers are quick but when it comes to giving an interview they can barely string two words together. Chilton is clearly happy dealing with the media and enjoys doing the PR thing. Look at his appearances on Top Gear for example or interviews during ITV's BTCC coverage. That 'spiky haired yoof' image is exactly the sort of thing that Honda want when doing marketing.
Id have to disagree with you on Chilton's ability in front of a camera, under Mike Earle he could well produce the same results and maturity in 04 but he has been down hill ever since.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2397673)   #1315
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250
Awww well worth a try lol! Not even a clue to the colour? :P

Simon

yeah, lile i'm going to screw a client and past employer over. Other than saying I'm doing the livery and had a small hand in the kit, only things I've said are in the public domain.... and that ain't changing.

Last edited by andy_b; 15 Feb 2009 at 03:12.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2397788)   #1316
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the Focus is testing at Snetterton this week as claimed in a previous post I'm sure we'll all find out shortly!
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2397799)   #1317
snowen250
Veteran

i was only kidding, i didnt really expect you to say! Sorry to be a pain.
And are they testing this week i wasnt aware the cars were built yet.
Any news on Doyle?
sorry again Andy
Simon
Old 16 Feb 2009, 21:58 (Ref:2398720)   #1318
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
If the Focus is testing at Snetterton this week as claimed in a previous post I'm sure we'll all find out shortly!
Tom has confirmed he'll be testing the Focus this Wednesday and Friday!
Old 16 Feb 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2398765)   #1319
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and on public show at the Brands launch day on March 2nd
Old 17 Feb 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2398908)   #1320
Icebaby
Veteran

Arena will need to do alot more testing than two days before the season starts if they are going to be on the pace.

Any news on the second and third cars Arena said they would bring or was this wishful thinking?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2398971)   #1321
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Early days yet, why are you being so critical?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2398998)   #1322
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd imagine this weeks Focus test will just be to run the car in and for Chilton to get used to it. I would be confident they will run more than 2 test days before Brands!

From the Autosport feature it sounded as if Arena are still deep in talks with a 2nd driver with a part season budget - and the worrying thing seems to be no one has been rumoured for this 2nd or 3rd seat yet?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2399117)   #1323
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any news on the second and third cars Arena said they would bring or was this wishful thinking?
If they are still talking to a driver for the second car... can't see the third car being filled by the start of the season!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2399120)   #1324
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the article it say's they're getting closer to a 2nd driver, while the 3rd car will be built for the start of the season.

The way it's worded is slightly confusing (to me at least!) as Mike Earle could be talking about either the 2nd driver, or any potential driver for the 3rd car having only the sponsors/budget for a handful of races.

I read it, initially at least, as that a 3rd driver may come along mid-season with the budget to do a couple of rounds, with further appearances then relying on how he does (e.g. he does well, sponsors chip in more), but going back and looking at it now it could mean that the 2nd driver starts the season, but with only the budget (at least initially) to do the opening couple of rounds.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2399176)   #1325
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne
In the article it say's they're getting closer to a 2nd driver, while the 3rd car will be built for the start of the season.

The way it's worded is slightly confusing (to me at least!) as Mike Earle could be talking about either the 2nd driver, or any potential driver for the 3rd car having only the sponsors/budget for a handful of races.

I read it, initially at least, as that a 3rd driver may come along mid-season with the budget to do a couple of rounds, with further appearances then relying on how he does (e.g. he does well, sponsors chip in more), but going back and looking at it now it could mean that the 2nd driver starts the season, but with only the budget (at least initially) to do the opening couple of rounds.
Sounds at least a bit 'unsafe', doesn't it?
Closed Thread

Tags
2009, btcc, entries