Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3248843)   #1326
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Cars don't rust or wear out like they used to
You obviously haven't looked at Ford Fiesta's and Ka's
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 May 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3248846)   #1327
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
As its one of the wannabe Jags,bit of black tape over the warning light?
All depends on who does your MOTs
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 May 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3248849)   #1328
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Back to my original rant, I've just followed a Mini Cooper being driven at 20 mph in the middle of the road !!!!
Old 17 May 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3248855)   #1329
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Back to my original rant, I've just followed a Mini Cooper being driven at 20 mph in the middle of the road !!!!
You should have nerfed it off, and if you were brought to book, claimed your judgement had been impaired by watching too many BTCC races.
Old 17 May 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3248856)   #1330
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
20mph? We dream of that...I've just come home through the village where I was held up by two horses and Dennis on his bike. Bloody commuter traffic is terrible at this time of day!
Old 17 May 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3248862)   #1331
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
You should have nerfed it off, and if you were brought to book, claimed your judgement had been impaired by watching too many BTCC races.
I often think of that as I was a Red Top Hot Rod racer in an earlier life, and I remember George Polley telling me that one of his mates nerved a cop car out of the way back in the 60s using the customary MG ZA
I notice that the Yank cops use this as well (the pit maneuver)
Old 17 May 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3248867)   #1332
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Probably someone creating a txt message Gordon. You would want them to be careful wouldn't you? Can't get much more careful than the middle of the road at 20mph.
Old 17 May 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3248878)   #1333
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Too bloody true. I thought rusty sills were a thing of the past until I had to deal with my wife's Fiesta a few years ago.
Old 17 May 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3248908)   #1334
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Oddly enough the girlfriend has had both of them - e.g. a rusty Fiesta, held together by filler, that was replaced by a Ford KA that was only rusty where she had scraped it (e.g. most panels!).

Hopefully her Fiat 500 will do better (I've no idea why it should though - except Polish cars have more need for rustproofing than Spanish ones!).
But it has just had a tiny dent repaired, where a tile fell on it from next door's roof, at eyewatering cost to their roofing people's insurance company (e.g. it cost nearly as much as I paid to have the whole March 85B painted)!
Old 17 May 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3248912)   #1335
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
20mph? We dream of that...I've just come home through the village where I was held up by two horses and Dennis on his bike. Bloody commuter traffic is terrible at this time of day!
At least you don't have teams of wannabe Eddy Merckses/Bradley Wigginses out practicing, we have plenty of huge farm vehicles around us but even they get held up by the cyclists who insist on riding in formation along the road next to the beautiful cycle lanes that they refuse to use.
Old 17 May 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3248918)   #1336
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And no doubt get very annoyed at any pedestrian who has the nerve to walk in the lane!
Old 17 May 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3248925)   #1337
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
wannabe Eddy Merckses/Bradley Wigginses out practicing,
Haha, I used to be in that group...I managed to overtake a tractor once and forced a BMW coming the other way off the road - he wasn't too happy

Dennis is 80, one of the village's Elder Statesmen, "I've cycled here at this time for fifty years......" Still, it could have been worse, he might have been in his Land Rover. So short sighted he can't see past the end of the bonnet, so actually his bicycle is quicker!
Old 17 May 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3248972)   #1338
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
At least you don't have teams of wannabe Eddy Merckses/Bradley Wigginses out practicing, we have plenty of huge farm vehicles around us but even they get held up by the cyclists who insist on riding in formation along the road next to the beautiful cycle lanes that they refuse to use.
Belgium is not famous for much, but they do produce some of the best professional cyclists, and have done for many years, Rik Van Looy, Roger De Vlaeminck, Eddie Merckx etc.so IF you CHOOSE to live there, you must put up with their ways. As an ex- cyclist I well know how easy it is to hold up a string of cars on a winding road, and great fun. A bit like Formula 3 racing.

I agree about old cars my 1998 Astra is perfectly reliable, cheap to run and gets me to where I want to go. Shiny it ain't. Flashy? No way. Impressive? Well only when I drive it!

Flash Git.
Old 17 May 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3248990)   #1339
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I run about in a collection of ex MOT failure vehicles and as I am a one man band I leave them all over the place collecting customers cars.
My old rusty diesel Fiesta gets left in all the dodgy areas and once I left it parked for two days open with the keys in it !
Mrs S and I would rather spend more time in the sun in Spain than trying to impress the rest of the world in some "Bling" item that looses at least a grand when you drive it away from the showroom
Old 17 May 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3248998)   #1340
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I run about in a collection of ex MOT failure vehicles and as I am a one man band I leave them all over the place collecting customers cars.
My old rusty diesel Fiesta gets left in all the dodgy areas and once I left it parked for two days open with the keys in it !
I got in my 1995 Corsa the other morning and looked in the N/S mirror and it wasn't there.
Old 17 May 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3249016)   #1341
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I got in my 1995 Corsa the other morning and looked in the N/S mirror and it wasn't there.
What the car or the mirror ?
Old 17 May 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3249019)   #1342
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I fell into that didn't I, the mirror.
Old 17 May 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3249029)   #1343
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Same here. Plus the occasionals on their way back from the pub (one would guess) with partner wobbling along on the nice wide combined pavement/cycle track that sees about 6 users a day and bloke being superman attempting speed and wobbling along darting out to avoid the pot holes he sees at the last minute.

The original 3 ft unused footpath was widened to 5ft (taking 2 ft from a regular main road width plus another ft either side as they 'fixed' some road edging that probably did not need fixing). Of course all proper cyclists still use the (now narrower) road.

Still, it allowed everyone from the local authority onwards to claim that a record number of dedicated cycle paths had been created. No one mentioned that most of the additional kilometers were simply white painted road markings.
Old 17 May 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3249038)   #1344
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Stolen to order I expect.

Younger daughter had a passenger door mirror stolen from her Golf. Neatly done apparently.
Old 17 May 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3249059)   #1345
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

As in 'Alice'?
Old 17 May 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3249076)   #1346
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
As in 'Alice'?
Is that 'Alice', as in 'Malice in Blunderland'?
Old 17 May 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3249090)   #1347
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Alice ! Alice ! who the **** is Alice ?
Old 18 May 2013, 07:11 (Ref:3249233)   #1348
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Alice ! Alice ! who the **** is Alice ?
I wonder!
Old 18 May 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3249250)   #1349
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I wonder!
Here is your answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCKS9WMRAZI
Old 18 May 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3249257)   #1350
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just binning a load of old stuff before our move becomes final,found these and for some strange reason,I thought of Al.
Attached Thumbnails
20130518_093500.jpg