Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 May 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3249284)   #1351
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Absolutely disgusting! Abhorrent, shocking, depraved ............... got any more to share?
Old 18 May 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3249327)   #1352
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Belgium is not famous for much, but they do produce some of the best professional cyclists, and have done for many years, Rik Van Looy, Roger De Vlaeminck, Eddie Merckx etc.so IF you CHOOSE to live there, you must put up with their ways. As an ex- cyclist I well know how easy it is to hold up a string of cars on a winding road, and great fun. A bit like Formula 3 racing.

I agree about old cars my 1998 Astra is perfectly reliable, cheap to run and gets me to where I want to go. Shiny it ain't. Flashy? No way. Impressive? Well only when I drive it!

Flash Git.
They even slipstream like F3 racing!
It doesn't help that we live near one of the most gruelling hills on the Tour of Flanders so they all come to practice it - I have no idea how they manage, it is difficult in a car and I certainly wouldn't want to walk up it!
But it is so annoying when following a bunch of lycra clad bums and you can see the specially laid cycle tracks that is all carefully fenced off form the road and nicely paved and completely empty (unless you are in a narrow car and extremely frustrated when they can become rather handy)....

I could understand the attraction of all the electronickery in modern cars if it was necessary but things like electronic hand brakes offer no advantage over the tried and tested systems.
Old 18 May 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3249350)   #1353
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post

I could understand the attraction of all the electronickery in modern cars if it was necessary but things like electronic hand brakes offer no advantage over the tried and tested systems.
Absolutely ! I have a customer that came up the workshop with a new BMW 1 back in the frosty weather with the window jammed halfway down, My software wouldn't get into it so she had to take it back to the main agents a few miles away to get it shut !
It only wanted resetting but they still charged her a fortune for a couple of minutes work.
I thought that most leccy windows had an overload that reset itself after a while, but not in this case how silly are things getting !!!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 May 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3249390)   #1354
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
IIRC Ed Stewart played that version on Radio 1 by mistake
Old 18 May 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3249453)   #1355
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Absolutely ! I have a customer that came up the workshop with a new BMW 1 back in the frosty weather with the window jammed halfway down, My software wouldn't get into it so she had to take it back to the main agents a few miles away to get it shut !
It only wanted resetting but they still charged her a fortune for a couple of minutes work.
I thought that most leccy windows had an overload that reset itself after a while, but not in this case how silly are things getting !!!!!!
Why on earth would the operation of an electric window need to be so complicated?
Old 18 May 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3249502)   #1356
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Alice ! Alice ! who the **** is Alice ?
How old is that,I haven't heard that for years.
Yes Gordon, must agree, am in the position at the moment when my daughter wants me to buy something to transport my two and half year grandson and six month old twins around in, plus having to replace rear view mirrors.note they took the mirror and left the car!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 18 May 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3249510)   #1357
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
How old is that,I haven't heard that for years.
plus having to replace rear view mirrors.note they took the mirror and left the car!
Yeah yeah, you'll get the £7 tomorrow when you come round with that brute of a dog of yours.
Old 18 May 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3249545)   #1358
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Yeah yeah, you'll get the £7 tomorrow when you come round with that brute of a dog of yours.
Is that for the mirror or the car.
Poor Toby was attacked today by a Shitsu, came running back to me for protection,ever seen a German Shepherd traumatised.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 18 May 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3249546)   #1359
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Is that for the mirror or the car.
No, It's for that 340bhp Jaguar race engine that you don't know you bought me last week.
Old 18 May 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3249600)   #1360
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I got in my 1995 Corsa the other morning and looked in the N/S mirror and it wasn't there.
Might have one of those mirrors kicking around...I used to sell a lot of pattern part lights and mirrors when I had the scrapyard, and I've still got a big pile of boxes in a corner of my unit. Give me a shout if you want me to have a look.....
Old 19 May 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3249705)   #1361
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Might have one of those mirrors kicking around...I used to sell a lot of pattern part lights and mirrors when I had the scrapyard, and I've still got a big pile of boxes in a corner of my unit. Give me a shout if you want me to have a look.....
Thanks for the offer but the thing is they are cheap as chips, or if you go to Brands Hatch, cheaper than chips. They nicked the actual mirror glass and backing, which was £5.50 but out of stock, the entire mirror including surround was £7. Why would anyone want to steal one when you can buy the whole thing for peanuts?
Old 19 May 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3249739)   #1362
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seven quid.

A couple of months ago someone clipped my driver's door mirror in a car park. Mirror glass and mechanism was fine, so it was just replacement of the base, case (with paint) and trim, and a reset of the electrics.

Total cost at BMW dealer bodyshop: just short of 600 English pounds.
Old 19 May 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3249741)   #1363
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Practice Tim.

Probably an apprentice working his/her way up to the trickier and more costly ones. Electric everything and a built in indicator and, probably, outside temp sensor. Takes a bit of special knowledge to pick those by model as ordered. There are probably training courses available once the scrote has proved some basic ability. There may even be government funding ...
Old 19 May 2013, 10:12 (Ref:3249742)   #1364
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Seven quid.

A couple of months ago someone clipped my driver's door mirror in a car park. Mirror glass and mechanism was fine, so it was just replacement of the base, case (with paint) and trim, and a reset of the electrics.

Total cost at BMW dealer bodyshop: just short of 600 English pounds.

Hmm.

BMW eh?

That would be about £15 plus profit margin then.
Old 19 May 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3249743)   #1365
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably. It's a nearly new car and I wasn't paying, so it made sense to have it done properly.
Old 19 May 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3249751)   #1366
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Probably. It's a nearly new car and I wasn't paying, so it made sense to have it done properly.
I expect the dealer thought the same.
Old 19 May 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3249758)   #1367
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
There was a couple of nippers picked up by CCTV nicking mirror backings in our local sainsbugs, Mrs S picked a Beemer one up when she came home from shopping last week and brought it home, when I looked at it the fittings had all been snapped off and screwdriver marks on it proved that it hadn't just fell off.
Some parts like the lower backing on the later Astra's you can't buy at all and I notice there are a few for sale on EBay !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 May 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3249978)   #1368
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Where have all the 4.2 XJ6 engines gone.Not so very long ago you couldn't give them away,now I can't get a downer engine anywhere .
Old 19 May 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3249981)   #1369
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eric,there was someone on Romney Marsh with more Jags than you could imagine,would have thought you're search might end there. Sorry I cant be more precise,but I stumbled on it when looking for where my Capri lived.
Old 19 May 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3249990)   #1370
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Where have all the 4.2 XJ6 engines gone.
I've got quite a few of them.
Old 19 May 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3249996)   #1371
Hunter1300
Racer

Hunter1300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bringing the old girl out

Thought I'd share my day in the sun....

Given the fine sunshine today I decided to do a spot of cleaning, an given that the little warrior hasn't seen the light of day since oulton gold cup 2012!!!

She has been washed inside an out, had cutting compound an waxed, wheels off rims polished the full works!!!! Had lots of fun an re-enthused about the old girl. A road trip to Germany is now being hatched for July/August to drop of the remains of my engine an have a shiny new one built with kugelfischer.....

Very excited an wasn't sure who to tell so thought I'd share with you gentlemen as the other half isn't overly impressed as I should have been gardening.
hope you don't mind a giddy little 'youth' in the corner??
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 19 May 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3250046)   #1372
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Hunter awsome mate and good luck too you.Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd in Class Silverstone May 2013 001.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	39906
Team Delta with friends at Silverstone. Class P2 Etype.
Hey do you remember a couple of years ago we were all moaning about that chef and blond bird driving in the Milla Miglia well it was her Dad that took this picture. Nice chap.
Old 19 May 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3250159)   #1373
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Looks Nice Hunter but what is it? Looks like a SImca or some other old French or Italian job.
Old 20 May 2013, 00:34 (Ref:3250176)   #1374
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
NSU Al.
Old 20 May 2013, 05:42 (Ref:3250267)   #1375
Hunter1300
Racer

Hunter1300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct is an original 'spiess' built group 2 NSU TT 1300 built by mr spiess himself in 1973. Rear engine rear wheel drive, weighing in at around 500kg with around 115-120 bhp an similar lbft torque.

It really does handle like a Go Kart!
Closed Thread