Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Mar 2021, 04:55 (Ref:4040044)   #1351
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep,stuff them with firm material to the point where you can just about get the zip pulled up.I know it works😊
Old 12 Mar 2021, 06:11 (Ref:4040050)   #1352
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
So, Gerard, if you were able to watch the National Geographic channel in the UK tonight you would have seen why Ric Wood took so long to answer your phone calls and provide your parts over the last year or so, he was rebuilding a Metro 6R4 for a uk TV programme!
Great, we have Nat Geo here. I watched a program, Car SOS day be, he was supposed to refurbish a Capri RS. I told him it was a pure shame to put a carb on it! A Capri RS with non injection looks like nothing.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 06:53 (Ref:4040052)   #1353
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Great, we have Nat Geo here. I watched a program, Car SOS day be, he was supposed to refurbish a Capri RS. I told him it was a pure shame to put a carb on it! A Capri RS with non injection looks like nothing.
Same programme, Gerard.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 08:34 (Ref:4040058)   #1354
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha bon, d'accord, merci Andy. Cant say I really appreciate Tim Shaw, but understand its a TV show with a touch of charity…
Always good to see Ric smiling when you dont pay! Unlike a simple Capri, a 6R4 is a piece of racing history.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4040064)   #1355
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double post, sorry

Last edited by andy97; 12 Mar 2021 at 09:48. Reason: Double post
Old 12 Mar 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4040066)   #1356
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Ha bon, d'accord, merci Andy. Cant say I really appreciate Tim Shaw, but understand its a TV show with a touch of charity…
Always good to see Ric smiling when you dont pay! Unlike a simple Capri, a 6R4 is a piece of racing history.
Agree about Tim Shaw - too much prattling about and idiocy normally, but this one was the best one they have done precisely because there was none of that. I assume because of the CV-19 restrictions in place during filming.
Also because Ric did the re-build (although slightly surprised that they didn’t involve Prodrive or David Appleby or Ian Rowlance (6r4.com)).
God knows how much it cost to to do the rebuild. I guess the TV company paid and you know what Ric charges per hour, Gerard!
They should keep this format!
Could easily have done a double episode.

Last edited by andy97; 12 Mar 2021 at 09:53.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4040083)   #1357
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=andy97;4040066]Agree about Tim Shaw - too much prattling about and idiocy normally, but this one was the best one they have done precisely because there was none of that. I assume because of the CV-19 restrictions in place during filming.

I've avoided Car SOS for years because Tim Shaw really winds me up, to me he really is the worst of the worst, however if as you say the programme is worth watching I shall bite the bullet and find it.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 11:04 (Ref:4040090)   #1358
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=The Fat Clerk;4040083]
Quote:
Agree about Tim Shaw - too much prattling about and idiocy normally, but this one was the best one they have done precisely because there was none of that. I assume because of the CV-19 restrictions in place during filming.

I've avoided Car SOS for years because Tim Shaw really winds me up, to me he really is the worst of the worst, however if as you say the programme is worth watching I shall bite the bullet and find it.
Know what you mean .
The presenters on most TV car programs are media people and usually are reading a script rather than knowing what they are talking about .
The only one I could normally put up with was Top Gear when it had Clarkson , May & Hammond .

But I did watch SOS last night because of the 6R4 , which I had some interest in during the 80s.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4040099)   #1359
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Brewer & Ed china on Wheeler Dealers - no thanks, both clueless.

Ant Anstead & Fuzz Townsend appear to know their stuff, don't mind them. But as has been said - I'll pass on Tim Shaw.

The current Top Gear line-up? Give me a break! An ex-cricketer, a bloke who only got famous because he was mates with Peter Kay and a journo nobody's ever heard of. They're havin' a laugh... or not, which is the problem.

The previous Top Gear line-up of Clarkson, Hammond & May may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but at least it was entertaining, especially the earlier ones. Admittedly, it did seem as though they were running out of ideas towards the end, but there were undoubtedly some classic moments from that incarnation.

The current lot are just trying to emulate those three, and it just doesn't seem to gel IMHO.

And as for an antiques dealer suddenly deciding he wants to do classic cars: well, I can't even remember his name now, but I watched one of the first episodes of that particular series and decided almost immediately that they didn't have a clue what they were talking about!

I do like Chasing Classic Cars however, which is unusual for an American show, as most of them are usually way too shouty & unnecessarily confrontational. But Wayne Carini clearly knows his stuff and is obviously passionate about classic cars, and it shows. And the old mechanic, Roger, is just a gem! And a proper old-school mechanic too who really knows his stuff.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 11:34 (Ref:4040101)   #1360
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have my doubts that any 6R4,with engine,& box,or even without,would have ever been found in a scrap yard.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 11:36 (Ref:4040102)   #1361
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Never seen “chasing classic cars” but agree with most of the rest, although Clarkson, May and Hammond started believing their own publicity a long time before they finally left. Don’t think I watched any of the last 3 or 4 series of theirs.
Someone should do a show with Fuzz Townsend and Ant Anstead and leaves the others out of it.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4040105)   #1362
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Never seen chasing classic cars but agree with most of the rest, although Clarkson, May and Hammond started believing thei own publicity a long time before they finally left. Don’t think I watched any of the last 3 or 4 series of theirs.
Someone should do a show with Fuzz Townsend and Ant Anstead and leaves the others out of it.
I watch Chasing Classic Cars and also also I think it is Restoration Garage
Agree re Top Gear that Germy Klaxon, May and Hammond were well past their use by date. They are always on repeat here but I avoid them. I have not seen the latest series yet ...we tend to get things a year later or more.
Fuzz Townsend and Ant Anstead would be good. Tim Shaw I could do without.
We had an Australian Top Gear a while back, same format as the UK one, but that lasted a couple of seasons before getting canned.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 12:03 (Ref:4040107)   #1363
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It depends how you watch the programmes. If you're expecting William Woollard and Angela Rippon levels of insight into the latest car models then you're going to be disappointed, but for a bit of harmless fun with cars in the background on a Sunday night then I do enjoy the current TG. And at least Harris can drive well! I found the last three past their sell by dates and couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dog's ****. So I'm looking forward to the new series on Sunday.

Brewer/China/Anstead etc? Well it's all light entertainment for an hour or so on a wet afternoon isn't it? Moving wallpaper like the antiques shows, house shows etc. When one sees how many liberties are taken in a subject one knows about, it rather throws a light on all TV programmes doesn't it? One must assume they are all as wide of the real mark.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 12:48 (Ref:4040111)   #1364
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It depends how you watch the programmes. If

When one sees how many liberties are taken in a subject one knows about, it rather throws a light on all TV programmes doesn't it? One must assume they are all as wide of the real mark.

Spot on.

I remember being @ Silverstone when a few of us Marshals were asked to help William Woolard (remember him?) film a bit for Top Gear, we spent a morning on a 30 second slot and came away thing what a pillock he was.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4040114)   #1365
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I watch Chasing Classic Cars and also also I think it is Restoration Garage
Agree re Top Gear that Germy Klaxon, May and Hammond were well past their use by date. They are always on repeat here but I avoid them. I have not seen the latest series yet ...we tend to get things a year later or more.
Fuzz Townsend and Ant Anstead would be good. Tim Shaw I could do without.
We had an Australian Top Gear a while back, same format as the UK one, but that lasted a couple of seasons before getting canned.
Germy Klaxon!
Thanks E.B, as I do not like the man I LOVE that nickname! Considering how strident his voice is, it's also very appropriate!
Old 12 Mar 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4040118)   #1366
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Germy Klaxon!
Thanks E.B, as I do not like the man I LOVE that nickname! Considering how strident his voice is, it's also very appropriate!
You are welcome Viv. Glad you approve. As you can tell he is far from my favourite presenter either.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4040122)   #1367
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I cant say enough how much I dislike the French productions. Imagine a poor taste US series, inspiring a UK series then modified to French very bad taste! We have now two or three of those making any rainy afternoon better to watch! Not mentioning Sarah MacAdams!!! Non mais des fois sans blague!
Old 12 Mar 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4040124)   #1368
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A long time friend & very accomplished competition driver used to do a lot of driving for Top Gear & Top Gear live programs around the world .

He said that Clarkson , May , Hammond were not bad to be mixing with , and he did enjoy doing the shows .
He also said that , despite all of the windups , May was quite a good driver & probably better than the other 2.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4040127)   #1369
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Has the list of the Stigs been revealed once? We have one Stig France but he's an actor and it seems my gran'ma is faster than him!
Old 12 Mar 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4040130)   #1370
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Has the list of the Stigs been revealed once? We have one Stig France but he's an actor and it seems my gran'ma is faster than him!
Perry McCarthy & Ben Collins. Not sure if there were others.

Other than Top Gear I know of none of these other programmes of which you speak apart from Chasing Cars. I obviously don't watch enough TV.

I can't get it now anyway, but gave up watching TV after they dumped Clarkson, Hammond & May. For all his bluster Clarkson is a very good journalist & I'd rather have a beer with him than any of the new boys.

What do you think of Turbo or Auto Moto, Gerard?
Old 12 Mar 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4040136)   #1371
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Perry McCarthy & Ben Collins. Not sure if there were others.
Certainly there have been one offs..... one I know of was the episode where 'the Stig' lapped their circuit in a Renault F1 car. That occasion apparently Renault insisted the Stig would not be allowed to drive their car and try to break the lap record.... Heikki Kovalainen (one of their race drivers at the time) was dressed as the Stig given a dark visor and drove the car. Breaking the record comfortably.

Edit: I found the episode ..... https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-g...es-5-episode-6
Old 12 Mar 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4040140)   #1372
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
There were quite a few different "Stigs". I think it was a case of " horses for courses ".
Ben Collins , Perry McCarthy , Heikki Kovalainen, Chris Goodwin , Julian Bailey, Russ Swift , are some of the names that spring to mind .
There were probably many more that were picked for certain items , but had to sign confidentiality agreements .

Last edited by Tel 911S; 12 Mar 2021 at 15:38. Reason: spelling
Old 12 Mar 2021, 17:07 (Ref:4040162)   #1373
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
What do you think of Turbo or Auto Moto, Gerard?
I think that those so called journalists need and like to much the money spent by car makers. If one day you wonder why you see so often an Audi in Turbo, I can give the answer! Chapatte loves Tour Auto in a Bimmer, how can we imagine he will judge any car from this brand? Pathetic! Just listen to any road test in Auto moto: wahoo, yeah, ooooh, hoooo, ha lÃ* lÃ*Ã*Ã*Ã*, jeez, phewww… Pathetic.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4040167)   #1374
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think that those so called journalists need and like to much the money spent by car makers. If one day you wonder why you see so often an Audi in Turbo, I can give the answer! Chapatte loves Tour Auto in a Bimmer, how can we imagine he will judge any car from this brand? Pathetic! Just listen to any road test in Auto moto: wahoo, yeah, ooooh, hoooo, ha lÃ* lÃ*Ã*Ã*Ã*, jeez, phewww… Pathetic.

Motoring journalists are far too often extremely biased or their opinions are swayed by the indulgences of the car manufacturers. For example, Jeremy Clarkson was looked after very nicely by both Jaguar and Land (Range) Rover who, when they were separate companies, would supply him a string of the latest models for him to evaluate. This they expected to probably take at least a year, or until they had a new model for him to test.

So, it was probably expected of him to write positively about their latest products, and excused him if he made very, very slight criticism of their cars in his reports. In a similar vein, he wouldn't drive a Porsche, possibly because they had had a disagreement in the past, I don't know the true reason. It wasn't until Top Gear had been running for a number of years that Richard Hammond, who had actually bought a succession of 911s over many years, persuaded him to try one and he was actually blown away with how good it was; real egg on face time.

Similarly, he always rubbished BMWs and Mercs, again for reasons that I don't know. But after his producers on TG told him that he had to drive them, he had to eat crow and admit that they were really decent cars.

So much for the independence of our "journalists"!
Old 12 Mar 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4040168)   #1375
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My other half who happens to be a pretty long haired blond was in the green room on a TV show, Clarkson was in there waiting to go on and kept trying to upset her with "blond jokes". He soon found out that this lady who had a top job at one of the top boys schools in the country for 33 years was no pushover and told him in no uncertain terms what she thought of him, much to the other guests amusement
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread