Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Dec 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3346163)   #1351
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's ok people, it was only a prototype tyre, and will not be used again. Phew!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../12/15353.html

Pirelli now have to back to HQ and design a tyre that will last 75% race distance at 75% speed. This is to keep the teams that voted not to have two compulsory pit stops next year, with tyres that could be pushed at 100% speed between stops, happy. Slow and steady, with just one stop, wins the race they say.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 04:01 (Ref:3346179)   #1352
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
indeed and really happy that NR walked away unhurt all be it with some dirty drawers.

side note i love how people still think deleting something from twitter makes it disappear...once a comment is out there it is out there as seen by numerous news sites quoting the deleted post.
These Pirelli bozos are going to hurt someone if they don't stop trading on the sheer dumb luck they have had so far!

This is just pathetic!
Old 20 Dec 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3346240)   #1353
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
These Pirelli bozos are going to hurt someone if they don't stop trading on the sheer dumb luck they have had so far!

This is just pathetic!
Not Pirelli's fault. They have been given a set of parameters to build to. A set of parameters that no other tyre manufacturer in F1 has ever had to deal with. I think, be it Perelli, Bridgestone, Michelin or any other tyre manufacturer, we would probably be in a similar position.

In saying that, been thinking... what if. What if Nico Rosberg was seriously hurt, or the crash was fatal, driving on a set of prototype tyres? How would the F1 world react? Who would take the blame? FOM? FIA? Pirelli? Other?
Old 20 Dec 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3346333)   #1354
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

In saying that, been thinking... what if. What if Nico Rosberg was seriously hurt, or the crash was fatal, driving on a set of prototype tyres? How would the F1 world react? Who would take the blame? FOM? FIA? Pirelli? Other?
That's what happened to Mark Donahue and the main result was that his wife won a product liability suit against Goodyear and there was a little more push for circuit safety. Of course they was quite a while ago.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3346460)   #1355
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Not Pirelli's fault. They have been given a set of parameters to build to. A set of parameters that no other tyre manufacturer in F1 has ever had to deal with. I think, be it Perelli, Bridgestone, Michelin or any other tyre manufacturer, we would probably be in a similar position.

I strongly disagree with you here 321Go!

This is 100% Pirelli's fault and responsibility!

They are the "experts", and it is their responsibility to make sure the tyres are safe!

The FIA tasked them with making tyres that lost grip in a particular distance, nobody ever gave them approval to build tyres that burst, explode or delaminate, and they should have the expertise to see that this does not happen. It is both reckless and unacceptable from Pirelli, it is not even like they are competing against anyone!
Old 20 Dec 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3346461)   #1356
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The world is an odd place. How did we get to this situation.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3346463)   #1357
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The world is an odd place. How did we get to this situation.
This is what generally happens when you grant somebody a monopoly.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 02:55 (Ref:3346502)   #1358
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
This is 100% Pirelli's fault and responsibility!
Disagree.

Question. Ferrari's engine blows up during a race. Who's to be blamed? 99.9% will blame Ferrari. And I'm pretty sure you would too. Right? Pretty sure everyone would too. I would.

Further investigation proves it was a problem with the oil, or a bearing, or a piston. But 100% of the blames lies with Ferrari. They pushed their suppliers to deliver a product to meet Ferrari's specific needs. At least these components can be well and truly real world tested before they go in the engine. What real world testing does Pirelli have access to outside of the races? None.

And come 2014, hardly any real world testing would have been done before the tyres are put on the cars for Melbourne. I say hardly any because during pre season testing, I doubt any team will push their cars 100%. I'm guessing Pirelli will go very conservative, and it will be a one stop race in Melbourne 2014.

FOM tasked Pirelli to build a tyre that would require 2 or 3 (or even 4) stops during a race. Pirelli did as requested. Teams then decided to build cars that could go further than the tyres were designed for, albeit at a conservative pace, and do just one stop. So is that Pirelli's fault? No. The rules state that at least one change of tyre compound must happen during a race. Just one stop. Who makes the rules? Pirelli? Nope. Build a tyre so teams have to do 2 or 3 stops, but they only do one. Hmmm.. sounds like a recipe to 'blow up' in your face.

If FOM wants 2 or 3 stops during a race, then make it mandatory by implementing it in the rules. Surely Pirelli can then build a tyre that can be pushed at 100% for at least 50% of race distance?? If they cannot, then they should leave the sport immediately. But I don't think Pirelli would have any trouble at all. Pirelli, or any other tyre manufacturer is in the game of building tyres that lasts as long as possible, with as much grip as possible. FOM throws them a task of doing almost the opposite of what a tyre manufacturer has been R&D'ing for as long as they have been in the game. A tyre that has 100% grip, but falls off at a very (very) rapid rate after only a short distance?? IMO, Pirelli have done well given the circumstances given.

Bridgestone was also given the same task back in 2009, in an effort to introduce a similar tyre to what is used in the sport today for the 2011 season. But decided to leave the sport end of 2010 because it "aims to cut costs and streamline research and development efforts." Bridgestone did not want to spend money on a product that was not beneficial to them, or their image. Pirelli took it on at the request of FOM. Pirelli should be commended for taking on the project. Even though they were very aware it was not the best portrayal of their product to a world audience.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3346627)   #1359
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

This is just pathetic!
While I share some frustration, I think "bozos" is a rather disingenuous remark.....
Old 21 Dec 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3346787)   #1360
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
While I share some frustration, I think "bozos" is a rather disingenuous remark.....
While I share the frustration , I think "bozos" is the correct remark .
Old 22 Dec 2013, 01:28 (Ref:3346817)   #1361
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Pirelli have now had numerous clear warnings that their tyres are likely to cause a fatality, yet they continue to supply tyres that exhibit the same critical life threatening faults!

How would you describe a company who recklessly continues to endanger other peoples lives then Jeremy?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3346890)   #1362
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm pretty sure Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin (and others) suffered testing failures in the past - but they weren't newsworthy because of the amount of testing being done.

Pirelli are in an impossible situation, not engineered by them. They get criticism for making tyres that fall apart (which they were contracted to do), for making tyres that don't (after world+dog had a go about safety), for testing new tyres (which has happened for years behind closed doors) and if they were to pack up and leave the same people having a go will vilify them for being spineless.

Look beyond Pirelli. The entire edifice that is F1 is crumbling, but those in a position to do something about it are eating caviar and sipping Mumm champagne while being told it's all just peachy.

The tyres are a symptom. The cause needs to be dealt with, not the collection of festering sores.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3346941)   #1363
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Good post.

Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, and others, all had tyre failures at some time or another. Ironically, Michelin's high speed 'Indy' failure had Rosberg needing more than just a change of underwear, which that lead to the farce that was to follow, and all of that after a squillion miles of research and testing! Anyone would think that most F1 fans only began watching F1 from the start of the 2006 season.

Last edited by Marbot; 22 Dec 2013 at 14:23.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3346972)   #1364
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm pretty sure Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin (and others) suffered testing failures in the past - but they weren't newsworthy because of the amount of testing being done.

Pirelli are in an impossible situation, not engineered by them. They get criticism for making tyres that fall apart (which they were contracted to do), for making tyres that don't (after world+dog had a go about safety), for testing new tyres (which has happened for years behind closed doors) and if they were to pack up and leave the same people having a go will vilify them for being spineless.

Look beyond Pirelli. The entire edifice that is F1 is crumbling, but those in a position to do something about it are eating caviar and sipping Mumm champagne while being told it's all just peachy.

The tyres are a symptom. The cause needs to be dealt with, not the collection of festering sores.
Spot on Greem! Let's all face the facts, F1 has lost it's way....

Quote:
Pirelli have now had numerous clear warnings that their tyres are likely to cause a fatality, yet they continue to supply tyres that exhibit the same critical life threatening faults!

How would you describe a company who recklessly continues to endanger other peoples lives then Jeremy?
Motor racing is a dangerous sport wnut ! it's not the first and won't be the last time a tyre fails..The tyre's being used were an experimental compound and will not be used again..

Bridgestone had literally hundreds of hours of testing when they were supplying F1, Pirelli on the other hand have had none in comparison..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Good post.

Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, and others, all had tyre failures at some time or another. Ironically, Michelin's high speed 'Indy' failure had Rosberg needing more than just a change of underwear, which that lead to the farce that was to follow, and all of that after a squillion miles of research and testing! Anyone would think that most F1 fans only began watching F1 from the start of the 2006 season.
Indeed, again spot on !
Old 22 Dec 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3347010)   #1365
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

But you can't blame Pirelli for this. When Bridgestone and Michelin were in F1 (Goodyear too for that matter) the teams were doing unlimited testing which would have allowed the tyre suppliers to iron out any problems. Pirelli are contracted to making tyres that don't last, they'd make tyres that last 2 races if that's what the contract stipulated.

Trouble for Pirelli is, or was, back in the summer, was the fact that their tyres were disintegrating left right and centre yet, because Lotus and Force India could make the tyres last , Pirelli couldn't get 100% approval to make them safer for every other team.

I personally think that, at that stage, they should have told F1 that they were pulling out with immediate effect unless they could make tyres that they were happy to allow to be raced on.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3347109)   #1366
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
While I share the frustration , I think "bozos" is the correct remark .
How dare you compare Bozo the Clown with Pirelli; he's a much cherished childhood icon of mine.

Serioulsy though, Pirelli have been given a mandate to produce a certain type of tyre and though another failure has't happened for a while, the fact that this has happened again must put into question the way the tyre is constructed in the first place.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3347186)   #1367
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

Serioulsy though, Pirelli have been given a mandate to produce a certain type of tyre and though another failure has't happened for a while, the fact that this has happened again must put into question the way the tyre is constructed in the first place.
How do Pirelli develope a tyre that's not meant to last, yet doesn't fail ? The last failure I can remember (pre Rosberg testing failure) is Perez's at Korea but that was brought about by how deep he locked up into the preceding corner.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3347238)   #1368
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In fairness we don't know how the tires were being used and it wouldn't be the first time Merc played around using them outside their recommended window but imo Pirelli don't get to indefinitely use the 'I just did what I was told' card.

they were picked because of their expertise and three years in they are well aware of the difficulties and have knowingly chosen to be on this experimental path and are more than happy to accept the commercial benefits associated by being in F1.

Hopefully more testing will help them identify where they have made mistakes.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3347681)   #1369
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How dare you compare Bozo the Clown with Pirelli; he's a much cherished childhood icon of mine.

Bozo the Clown works for Pirelli !
Old 25 Dec 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3347795)   #1370
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
In fairness we don't know how the tires were being used and it wouldn't be the first time Merc played around using them outside their recommended window but imo Pirelli don't get to indefinitely use the 'I just did what I was told' card.

they were picked because of their expertise and three years in they are well aware of the difficulties and have knowingly chosen to be on this experimental path and are more than happy to accept the commercial benefits associated by being in F1.

Hopefully more testing will help them identify where they have made mistakes.
Spot on sir.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3347876)   #1371
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
How do Pirelli develope a tyre that's not meant to last, yet doesn't fail ? The last failure I can remember (pre Rosberg testing failure) is Perez's at Korea but that was brought about by how deep he locked up into the preceding corner.
There's the rub but it can't be impossible. Bridgestone/Firestone have made a very good race tyre over the years for CART/IndyCar and still do and the tyre is raced on a greater variety of tracks and surfaces than F1. I wonder if the problem is down to the design and construction of Pirelli's tyre compared to the Bridgestone/Firestone tyre?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 25 Dec 2013 at 23:51.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3347879)   #1372
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
Bozo the Clown works for Pirelli !
He does not. This is slander.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3347954)   #1373
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
There's the rub but it can't be impossible. Bridgestone/Firestone have made a very good race tyre over the years for CART/IndyCar and still do and the tyre is raced on a greater variety of tracks and surfaces than F1. I wonder if the problem is down to the design and construction of Pirelli's tyre compared to the Bridgestone/Firestone tyre?
The Bridgestone/Firestone must be of a stronger construction given the loads on the banking and we all know how catastrophic a failure on ovals can be. The point is, Pirelli could quite easily make tyres that reliable, but they haven't been asked to. In fact, I should imagine that they are the first company in sporting history to be asked not to have made something that will last as long as possible.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 02:45 (Ref:3348475)   #1374
wnut
Veteran

http://www.pitpass.com/50670/The-Pirelli-Problem

"Pirelli can afford to be conservative with its development - it should be conservative with its development - because there is simply nothing to be gained and legal precedent as a result of Donohue's crash if it gets it wrong."

Bozos!
Old 29 Dec 2013, 05:40 (Ref:3348492)   #1375
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He does not. This is slander.
Clowns aren't putting anyone's life at risk.