Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3560027)   #1351
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Too a different kind of music- that made by a steam loco at flat chat. Beeb had a piece this morning on the ongoing Flying Scotsman restoration. Made me laugh when a engineer casually mentioned that they had to cut off the front end of the frame, as too far gone, and build / create a new one! Bit like working on an old Ford, really.....

Apparently the iconic loco could be moving under own steam again later this year.

Bit late replying to this as I've been off cheering on my Godson on the Bolton Ironman , (and attending a funeral yesterday )....but of course the restoration is being carried out near me, in Bury, Lancs - where of course we have some very extensive experience with steam railway restoration as we have the East Lancs Railway Preservation Society running a couple of restored lines, with many Locos....

Hoping some of the FS's shakedown trials will be on the East Lancs line....
Old 21 Jul 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3560082)   #1352
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm afraid I've missed the beginning of this. Are we talking about a steam engine? If so my nephew is a registered boiler maker and spends his time restoring steam engines fro..full size to miniature. Quite proud of him actually because he is seriously dyslexic.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3560093)   #1353
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm afraid I've missed the beginning of this. Are we talking about a steam engine? If so my nephew is a registered boiler maker and spends his time restoring steam engines fro..full size to miniature. Quite proud of him actually because he is seriously dyslexic.
Yes Peter 4472 The Flying Scotsman, also various other numbers attributed to this loco throughout the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Flying_Scotsman_2005.jpg  
Old 21 Jul 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3560101)   #1354
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Yes Peter 4472 The Flying Scotsman, also various other numbers attributed to this loco throughout the years.
For goodness sake! It's only a bloomin' train. Get a grip fellows.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 19:36 (Ref:3560107)   #1355
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
For goodness sake! It's only a bloomin' train. Get a grip fellows.
Bob, go and sit on the naughty step for an hour, It's not a bloomin train, it's a bloomin locomotive.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 19:47 (Ref:3560110)   #1356
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Bob, go and sit on the naughty step for an hour, It's not a bloomin train, it's a bloomin locomotive.
Pedant!
Old 21 Jul 2015, 20:12 (Ref:3560112)   #1357
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No I believe it was a Gresley.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3560115)   #1358
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
To me it's fantastic . Far better than any spitfire or hurricane . Just the best and the people that keep this stuff going are awsum .
Old 21 Jul 2015, 20:59 (Ref:3560124)   #1359
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Hmm.

There seems to be a familiar thread content there.

How many of this Historic Locomotive exist?

And who made the size modifications back in the day?

And why?
Old 21 Jul 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3560144)   #1360
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Err actually chaps your are both correct .

The etymology of "locomotive" stems from the Latin "locos" meaning place.

The "motive" aspect is the noun from "motion" meaning ( when put together) " place to place".

Only steam engines which actually moved ( as opposed to merely driving an engine) were given the description "locomotive".

Strange really as the word "train" stems from the Latin infinitive "trahere" meaning "to pull". Thus in effect although Tim is correct in his correction as to "locomotive" in daily parlance, Bob is also technically correct in strict interpretation of his diction.

I'm also available for weddings , parties , Bat Matzvah's and funerals. No reasonable offer refused. I'm usually free at short notice too....can't imagine why
Old 22 Jul 2015, 01:40 (Ref:3560168)   #1361
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Err actually chaps your are both correct .

The etymology of "locomotive" stems from the Latin "locos" meaning place.

The "motive" aspect is the noun from "motion" meaning ( when put together) " place to place".

Only steam engines which actually moved ( as opposed to merely driving an engine) were given the description "locomotive".

Strange really as the word "train" stems from the Latin infinitive "trahere" meaning "to pull". Thus in effect although Tim is correct in his correction as to "locomotive" in daily parlance, Bob is also technically correct in strict interpretation of his diction.

I'm also available for weddings , parties , Bat Matzvah's and funerals. No reasonable offer refused. I'm usually free at short notice too....can't imagine why

*** I knew that!
Old 22 Jul 2015, 05:24 (Ref:3560184)   #1362
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm.

There seems to be a familiar thread content there.

How many of this Historic Locomotive exist?

And who made the size modifications back in the day?
Of course the FIA will need proof of period modifications, before granting the loco a new HTP.

Old 22 Jul 2015, 06:03 (Ref:3560188)   #1363
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
High Temp Pipework?
Old 22 Jul 2015, 07:18 (Ref:3560203)   #1364
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
No I believe it was a Gresley.

Very funny Peter, I missed it first time around.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 07:48 (Ref:3560206)   #1365
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further pedantic post: the Flying Scotsman was both a bloomin train and a bloomin locomotive, the train of that name being pulled by any of the A3 Pacifics of which 4472 was but one.

I'm off now to post an entry on the tributes forum for Ian Allan, the trainspotter's friend, who died last month.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3560209)   #1366
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And according to a documentary that co-incidentally was on BBC4 the other day, it's not "The" FS at all but simply "Flying Scotsman". That was the name on the original plate anyway.

I don't know much else, I fell asleep.............
Old 22 Jul 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3560213)   #1367
bauble
Veteran

England
"Streamline Train, fastest train that runs ...."

"I hear the train a comin' ....."

"Train whistle blowing ....."

"That long black train took my baby away ..."

"The runaway train came down the track, and she blew ...."

" ..and they found him in the wreck with his hand upon the throttle ...."

" The Orange Blossom Special drove my blues away."

"The longest train I ever saw ....."

" ... and I miss a lot of trains."

" every time he heard the locomotive roar ...."

The perfect post combining music and 'trains', courtesy of many fine artists.

Bauble.

(Note to self; They've got you at it now, I must be going loco!)
Old 22 Jul 2015, 10:39 (Ref:3560226)   #1368
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you very much Bauble. Now I'll be humming Casey Jones all b!**?y day.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3560237)   #1369
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Thank you very much Bauble. Now I'll be humming Casey Jones all b!**?y day.
Colin, I know the problem, it is most irritating when you can't get a tune out of your head.
I apologise for causing your misery, it most thoughtless of me, and I am mortified at having ruined your day.

I do hope you will forgive my stupidity.

Your extremely contrite,

Bauble.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3560238)   #1370
bauble
Veteran

England
Gordon Bennett! You do get some whingers on this forum.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3560338)   #1371
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Well. you've definitely gone off the rails......
Old 23 Jul 2015, 05:34 (Ref:3560383)   #1372
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Old 23 Jul 2015, 05:50 (Ref:3560385)   #1373
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Well I did get steamed up!
Old 23 Jul 2015, 06:20 (Ref:3560391)   #1374
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Happy birthday for yesterday joe
Old 23 Jul 2015, 06:30 (Ref:3560392)   #1375
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Whoops, have we missed one! Belated best wishes, Joe.