Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jun 2010, 03:18 (Ref:2717197)   #1376
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think to be fair-if Corvette had 6 cars running the odds would have been significently better. The cars had the race pace to win.The more tickets inthe lottery of incidence surviving the better the chance of producin a winner~!
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2717355)   #1377
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
^ cars , I somehow cant see that happening with their currant price tag !!!

Be nice to see a European & Asian team running a couple of them though .
Old 25 Jun 2010, 05:07 (Ref:2717669)   #1378
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Yes it would be great to see at least one car in LMS. I know LAA were looking at BMW but it would be great to see them racing one of these, seeing as though they've raced the C5R/C6R in GT1. (Im guessing funding is the problem here).
Old 25 Jun 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2717722)   #1379
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
It was their first shot at Le Mans with the cars. They didn't win the first time out in GTS/GT1 either. And I think the Pug incident played a major role in the 64's eventual failure. Had they not had to replace the oil tank and many other components, it very well may not have failed.
You can't prove that, and P&M are never going to divulge the true failure anyway. Perhaps larger Mirrors might help the drivers, spot low LMPs coming up alongside them?
Old 25 Jun 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2717847)   #1380
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
You can't prove that, and P&M are never going to divulge the true failure anyway. Perhaps larger Mirrors might help the drivers, spot low LMPs coming up alongside them?
Sure we can't prove it but when you change the entire oil system in your car in 20 minutes and then 20 minutes later your engine fails due to rising oil pressure, it's pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2717903)   #1381
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
I thought the C6 had a monitor in the cockpit , instead of a rear view mirror ?
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2717914)   #1382
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
They do! That is just an accusation that Collard did not look in his mirrors before being put off by the Pug. There is no problem with the rear view for the drivers in the Vettes.

L.P.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2717939)   #1383
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Might have been better to see with larger side mirrors as the camera faces directly rearward, if it's the same system as the GT1 version. Didn't Fehan say the failures were close if not similar on both the Vettes? Also thought I had seen in a quote after LM that the repairs likely had nothing to do with the later engine failure?
Old 25 Jun 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2717982)   #1384
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Might have been better to see with larger side mirrors as the camera faces directly rearward, if it's the same system as the GT1 version. Didn't Fehan say the failures were close if not similar on both the Vettes? Also thought I had seen in a quote after LM that the repairs likely had nothing to do with the later engine failure?
Oil starvation from/during the incident.
Quote:
“They put us in the wall in the Porsche Curves,” he angrily told Crash.net after the retirement, “and there was a massive job to try and get the car fixed. The guys did an amazing job, but during that period the engine had got starved a little bit of oil, which did some damage to one of the valves. I came out of the second chicane along Mulsanne and I could tell it wasn't firing on all cylinders properly – and then it just went bang.
Here

L.P.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 06:22 (Ref:2719651)   #1385
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Hmm, as it seems the engine capacity reduction is off with the intro of GTE until at least 2013, maybe going to 6.2L might be in the werks.

L.P.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2719975)   #1386
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, as it seems the engine capacity reduction is off with the intro of GTE until at least 2013, maybe going to 6.2L might be in the werks.

L.P.
what do you mean, i didn't quite understand, was an egine reduction planed at all
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2720013)   #1387
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
what do you mean, i didn't quite understand, was an egine reduction planed at all
The ACO during '08 & '09 were in lockstep with the Rat in the direction that GT was headed. Which lead to the '10 rulest from the ACO:
Quote:
LM GT1 - 2010

• Category open to cars complying with the 2010 FIA GT regulations

• After reception of entries for the 2010 Le Mans 24 Hours, the ACO will decide to maintain the GT1 category (or not) according to well-defined criteria (presence of manufacturers, quality of the entries, reliability guarantees)

• Otherwise, the ACO reserves itself the right to keep only a single GT category in 2010

LM GT2 - 2010

• The current GT cars are eligible up to the end of 2011

• Cars complying with the 2010 FIA GT regulations are eligible from 2010 onwards

• The ACO reserves itself the right to adjust the performances between the current GT2 cars and the 2010 FIA GT2s for Le Mans events

• The ACO retains its independence concerning the homologation of a GT2 car
Which also states that the FIA GT-2 rules would be utilized going forward, which call for a reduction to 5.0L <> 5.5L maximum for GT-2 (ala the wonderful chart floating around of the Rats classes).
Since then Ratel has basically killed GT-2 and Endurance GT-1 and it seems the ACO are no longer of the mind to stay aligned with Ratel in the rules and have cut GT-1 and retained the '09 ruleset which has the 8.0L capacity instead of the projected 5.0L<>5.5L capacity of the FIA's ruleset.
And yes, Fehan did say on several occasions that the reduction in engine size for the Corvettes was to be in compliance with upcoming rules changes, which now seem to have gone by the wayside.

L.P.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2720024)   #1388
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
would that mean a reduction in waivers??

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Jun 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2720048)   #1389
The Badger
Veteran

Possibily , but hardly 47 of them !!!
Old 29 Jun 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2720053)   #1390
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
would that mean a reduction in waivers??
I would imagine running a stock size engine vs an undersized one might.

L.P.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2720065)   #1391
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Still have to take the supercharged off though, isn't the ZR-1 the homologated GT2 chassis? Plus take the carbon brakes off as well. But I guess we'll get to see what they have waived for next season, when will the ACO publish the waivers as promised, before the ALMS season or LM test time if there isn't one running in the LMS next season.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2724161)   #1392
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Hmm, doesn't seem that Manu thinks there is anything wrong with the rear view in the Vette!
Quote:
It is at this time that he has been hanging with Anthony Davidson, in the second Porsche-karting rolling left. The protos have so much support that some drivers do not imagine that there is only one possible path for a WP this part. I was surprised that Davidson attempts such exceeded in such a place. I had to go outside so that there is no contact, on the dirty side of track, and I lost the car. Instantly, I was well obviously very disappointed and very angry because, in addition to causing the accident, he said in all media that was not his fault. Since then, he sent me a mail to apologize. It's a bit late, but good... I'm big on the potato as they say.

Here

L.P.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2724384)   #1393
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2216/xigo4fa2_jpg

Monitor instead rear view Mirror in the Corvette GT 2 .
Old 10 Jul 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2724461)   #1394
The Badger
Veteran

Tidy looking cockpit , lovely machine .
Old 12 Jul 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2725777)   #1395
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan says they have diagnosed the engine failures that put an end to the team’s Le Mans bid last month. Both the Nos. 63 and 64 machines had valve issues, specifically in the 7th and 8th cylinders. The failures were duplicated after extensive analysis, and Fehan doesn’t expect the problem to crop up in the remaining ALMS events.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ace-notebook1/

No mention that 2nd engine failure was related to the crash.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2725803)   #1396
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ace-notebook1/

No mention that 2nd engine failure was related to the crash.

And why should he? Corvette rarely airs it's laundry, it was simply explained that it was a valve failure.
Which is exactly what Ollie said the failure was, with the further explanation of; Here

L.P.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2730764)   #1397
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
^ cars , I somehow cant see that happening with their currant price tag !!!

Be nice to see a European & Asian team running a couple of them though .

Hmm, so I guess you do not see anyone buying a new Metech Ford GT GTLM(-2) at € 500,000. either then?

L.P.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 01:25 (Ref:2730935)   #1398
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
not when ferrari and porsche are half the price of the corvette, and in europe and basicly the rest of the world porsche and ferrari attract more sponsors! So that leaves only the US ALMS for a perspective buyer and I am not sure a lot of people are ready to spend lots and lots of cash whaen they know they can;t beat the factory team. so my guess is that the number of corvettes sold will be very low
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 02:16 (Ref:2730945)   #1399
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
not when ferrari and porsche are half the price of the corvette, and in europe and basicly the rest of the world porsche and ferrari attract more sponsors! So that leaves only the US ALMS for a perspective buyer and I am not sure a lot of people are ready to spend lots and lots of cash whaen they know they can;t beat the factory team. so my guess is that the number of corvettes sold will be very low

Hmm, and how does the question about the Matech illicit a response about Corvette?

I will once again iterate, Corvette is not building chassis to sell, per se. They do sell them, and are always willing to sell them, but they are not in the bussiness of building customer cars.
They have sold almost every car that they have built, and most have ended up racing on the Continent.

L.P.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 04:12 (Ref:2730971)   #1400
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
They have sold almost every car that they have built, and most have ended up racing on the Continent.
"Thanks Luc Alphand."