Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Dec 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3480764)   #1426
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
What annoys me the most is that you have these most amazing tracks & event formats in USCC yet the series is terrible, and then you have WEC which has lots of promise as series yet the tracks & event formats apart from LM are uninspiringly sterile and boring. I think there used to be a series couple of years ago that combined these two worlds, but I must've been daydreaming for those 15 years in time as such fantasy combination couldn't possible have existed.
I don't consider Spa, Silverstone, Fuji or the Nurburgring to be sterile or boring, although I agree that COTA, Shanghai and Bahrain are a bit generic. I think the cars and competition in WEC easily overcome a few boring tracks.

I remember reading that one of the major reasons that WEC pulled out of Sebring was the questionable driving of the PC and GTC entries. Some of the teams were concerned that their cars would be damaged by non-championship teams. I'm not saying that WEC drivers are automatically better, but there is an element of truth to that. If I were a competitor in WEC, I would want to see WEC rules and officiating at Sebring. I don't fault WEC for withdrawing.

I don't see why people are upset with Audi, either. I don't think Audi wanted to cruise around the track for 12 hours, racing only against themselves. Audi seems to understand that they need to compete against teams as serious as they are. Ford and GM only want to race where the competition is continuously managed to insure no one gets any sort of advantage through better engineering.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3480773)   #1427
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
I don't consider Spa, Silverstone, Fuji or the Nurburgring to be sterile or boring, although I agree that COTA, Shanghai and Bahrain are a bit generic. I think the cars and competition in WEC easily overcome a few boring tracks.
Silverstone and Fuji are great tracks, but they lost their luster because of Formula One, especially the latter where it held just two races at the turn of the century.

Let's not forget, the WEC wants prestige like attracting VIPs. Hence, almost all of the tracks are Grade 1.

Quote:
I don't see why people are upset with Audi, either. I don't think Audi wanted to cruise around the track for 12 hours, racing only against themselves. Audi seems to understand that they need to compete against teams as serious as they are. Ford and GM only want to race where the competition is continuously managed to insure no one gets any sort of advantage through better engineering.
Fair play is great, but I think Ford and GM should do better when it comes to their cars and drivers, not being on top because of the race itself.

As for Audi, I would like the German marque to challenge themselves how to stay on top while having a limited budget.

Well, next year's TUSC is gonna be silly and horrible at the same time!
Old 1 Dec 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3480786)   #1428
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Yeah, don't mess with the enduros.
To get Mid-Ohio back, I'd change Petit Le Mans into two 4-hour split races for protos and GT.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3480795)   #1429
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
To get Mid-Ohio back, I'd change Petit Le Mans into two 4-hour split races for protos and GT.
I've been to both venues and I can say that M-O is not a great showcase for these cars, especially when compared to Petit Le Mans.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3480810)   #1430
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's an awful idea.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3480847)   #1431
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read that Shank is looking at the Honda for his new car and it may run Daytona now.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11139...acturer-switch
Old 1 Dec 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3480851)   #1432
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Was sort of hoping that if he switched Ford would cough up for a second Ganassi car but it doesn't seem likely unfortunately.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3480853)   #1433
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add AF Corse for Daytona in GTLM:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11139...car-at-daytona
Old 1 Dec 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3480857)   #1434
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
I've been to both venues and I can say that M-O is not a great showcase for these cars, especially when compared to Petit Le Mans.
Out of curiosity: what makes you say that? Never been to Mid-Ohio but that should change next year.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3480894)   #1435
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Add Mid Ohio, ruin PLM one of the few events that will weather IMSA's failure.

Old 2 Dec 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3480912)   #1436
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The only year Audi didn't race at Sebring Peugeot was there, what on Earth is this about Audi not showing up because of a lack of competition?
Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:42 (Ref:3480945)   #1437
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Seriously? They had the chance,two years and they decided to go to COTA anyways.audi may be world class but there was nothing world class about a 12 hour practice session.i would love to see them comeback too,but as long as the ACO is involved with the FIA this world class racing will stick to crap so called world class parking lot tracks!
Not everyone one needs green white wreaker finishes to be entertained and by the pathetic size of last years 12 hour crowd it seems most people would rather see that 12 hour practice session than 6 hours of FCY.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3481066)   #1438
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Just read that Shank is looking at the Honda for his new car and it may run Daytona now.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11139...acturer-switch
It would be great if they can get the program started by Daytona. I'm guessing since Oak isn't going to be running the car from last year it is still sitting in 8-Star's shop and available for Shank to use. Don't know what their plans were going to be for that chassis if Shank didn't come along.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3481072)   #1439
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
pathetic size of last years 12 hour crowd
But according to Bob Varsha and gang it was the greatest crowd in the history of world (bar Daytona) and epic increase from the past. Just as with Scotty's statements one has to wonder, would they lie?

Old 2 Dec 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3481079)   #1440
Gulf
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
But according to Bob Varsha and gang it was the greatest crowd in the history of world (bar Daytona) and epic increase from the past. Just as with Scotty's statements one has to wonder, would they lie?

Lmao

Defiantly lying. I showed up like 20 mins before green and drove right up, no traffic at all and found a park before the start, that has never happened before.
Old 3 Dec 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3481495)   #1441
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
updated GTD entry list tracker http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so...usc-gtd-class/
Old 3 Dec 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3481507)   #1442
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Former K-Pax partners looking for projects:

http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/111424...es-in-pwc-imsa
Old 3 Dec 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3481524)   #1443
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Lmao

Defiantly lying. I showed up like 20 mins before green and drove right up, no traffic at all and found a park before the start, that has never happened before.
Same at Petit. To get our usual camping spot, someone in our crew shows up on Wednesday. This year, we could have showed up Friday afternoon and gotten the spot. There was a lot of empty space all over the track.
Old 3 Dec 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3481541)   #1444
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Same at Petit. To get our usual camping spot, someone in our crew shows up on Wednesday. This year, we could have showed up Friday afternoon and gotten the spot. There was a lot of empty space all over the track.
This makes me so sad, especially when the series is throwing BS out there about the crowds.
Old 3 Dec 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3481547)   #1445
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the only man involved who actually had a whisper of truth in his words in regards to the crowd sizes was ironically Shank when a couple of months ago on racer.com he said "Good news is that attendance is way up". But that's because he wasn't referring to the ALMS attendances, but embarrasingly pitiful Grand-Am figures he was so used to... anything's gonna look like an 'improvement' after those
Old 3 Dec 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3481555)   #1446
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was at both Sebring and PLM and the crowds were very respectable. I have seen larger and smaller crowds at both races during the ALMS era. I would say a top 5 crowd was at PLM.
Old 3 Dec 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3481572)   #1447
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I was at both Sebring and PLM and the crowds were very respectable. I have seen larger and smaller crowds at both races during the ALMS era. I would say a top 5 crowd was at PLM.
It looked really quiet at Sebring to me, especially in GP, expecting even less folks next March as ticket prices are gone up considerably again.
Old 3 Dec 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3481574)   #1448
Coach Ep
Veteran

And 2 more GTD entries confirmed: AJR-Weathertech and Wright/Dempsey, both Porsches.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/we...tudor-in-2015/

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/de...ship-for-naec/
Old 3 Dec 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3481593)   #1449
Gulf
Racer

Quote:
There was a ton of empty spaces but it made photography easy.
Old 3 Dec 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3481622)   #1450
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lmao

What you got was the effect of infield parking price being jacked sky high. The free parking was jammed and the viewing mounds were pretty full. Not the biggest crowd I've seen, but respectable until about 4 hrs in when there was a line at the exit.