Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Dec 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2599522)   #1426
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what a line-up...

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Dec 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2599535)   #1427
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Not if Acura/Honda is planning racing the ARX-01c at Le Mans.
Although Highcroft has a P1, not P2 entry, so it may pose some problems.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2599537)   #1428
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have we heard anything on the bear's rumor of Marino joining them for the enduros?
Old 14 Dec 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2599552)   #1429
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Why would this pose a problem? If they go this year, it could be to get the entire team acclimated to Le Mans for a go at the 2011 P-1

Quote:
Have we heard anything on the bear's rumor of Marino joining them for the enduros?
Well the enduros should be run to full ACO rules (or so stated by the ALMS) so the third seat in the car should be filled by an amateur/gentleman driver so that would seem to exclude Marino unless a second chassis is run.

L.P.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2599553)   #1430
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe, but if a Porsche RS Spyder enters, then it would be nice for ACO to get it some competition?
Old 14 Dec 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2599560)   #1431
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I believe the implication intended here is that Highcroft have an autobid for LMP1, while they intend to run a LMP2.

I would expect that if Highcroft wanted to apply for a spot on the LMP2 grid, that they would be looked at very favourably in their application.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2599566)   #1432
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed , I somehow cant see the ACO turning away the ALMS P1 champ .
Old 14 Dec 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2599575)   #1433
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Can LMP2 teams opt to use an all-pro lineup and receive a weight penalty or something like that?

Or do they really have to have an amateur driver in there no matter what? A pretty ridiculous and dangerous rule if you ask me.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2599593)   #1434
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
what a line-up...
Yes it is very good to see Simon at Patrón, but it is sad also. In that it brings to the front, the now almost indidsputable fact, that de Ferran it would seem is truly gone from the ALMS (as many among us had tought) even though it has yet to be officially uttered.

L.P.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2599594)   #1435
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Can LMP2 teams opt to use an all-pro lineup and receive a weight penalty or something like that?

Or do they really have to have an amateur driver in there no matter what? A pretty ridiculous and dangerous rule if you ask me.
LMP2 is created for the privateers who doesn't have the money to race a LMP1 prototype!.
It's been like this for a long time
Old 14 Dec 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2599635)   #1436
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's only the ACO technical rules that apply in the ALMS for those races. The sporting rules are probably for the LMS only and IMSA won't make its rare entrants unhappy with those. If a privateer has money to come to Sebring with a P2, he can either find a few grands to add a pro driver (they're all looking for seats these days) or stop kidding himself and accept Patron will destroy his team anyway.

The spirit of the rules and who they're for is alright but it stops working when Porsche and Acura make the series interesting by entering the "wrong class".
Old 14 Dec 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2599662)   #1437
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes it is very good to see Simon at Patrón, but it is sad also. In that it brings to the front, the now almost indidsputable fact, that de Ferran it would seem is truly gone from the ALMS (as many among us had tought) even though it has yet to be officially uttered.

L.P.
Exactly. This is not good news.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2599831)   #1438
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if true, 2 years and out. bummer.
well...de Ferran went out with a bang in a Texas styled Acura, but it would be a shame.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2599866)   #1439
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
LMP2 is created for the privateers who doesn't have the money to race a LMP1 prototype!.
It's been like this for a long time
I won't argue with that, I just think those new driver rules are potentially dangerous.

Privateer team or not, LMP2 cars are quick downforce race cars that need to be driven by drivers with substantial experience. Forcing teams to use drivers that are either too old or inexperienced is nuts if you ask me...

I don't think this will saves costs in the long run, a proper driver would probably come cheaper than an old gentlemen driver who wrecks the car and may take other cars with him.

I remember that last year there were already complaints from other drivers about some LMP2 cars being driven by potentially unfit drivers. And now the series even promots that... I can't get my head around that.

Gentlemen drivers are fine, in GT2 or GT3 cars were they can't do much harm. But in prototypes which have to pass lots of slower cars, it's just potentially dangerous.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 03:17 (Ref:2599884)   #1440
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I won't argue with that, I just think those new driver rules are potentially dangerous.

Privateer team or not, LMP2 cars are quick downforce race cars that need to be driven by drivers with substantial experience. Forcing teams to use drivers that are either too old or inexperienced is nuts if you ask me...

I don't think this will saves costs in the long run, a proper driver would probably come cheaper than an old gentlemen driver who wrecks the car and may take other cars with him.

I remember that last year there were already complaints from other drivers about some LMP2 cars being driven by potentially unfit drivers. And now the series even promots that... I can't get my head around that.

Gentlemen drivers are fine, in GT2 or GT3 cars were they can't do much harm. But in prototypes which have to pass lots of slower cars, it's just potentially dangerous.
As to mandating pro/am, I am not truly for it! As to the rest, IMO, Horse manure.

L.P.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2600002)   #1441
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Why would this pose a problem? If they go this year, it could be to get the entire team acclimated to Le Mans for a go at the 2011 P-1

Well the enduros should be run to full ACO rules (or so stated by the ALMS) so the third seat in the car should be filled by an amateur/gentleman driver so that would seem to exclude Marino unless a second chassis is run.

L.P.
Just thinking aloud here.............

Could Brabs and Pagenaud yet be driving a Peugeot at Le Mans, in spite of Highcroft's intended attendance? No mention of Le Mans in the last press release, and Highcroft could still make the trip with a different driver line-up. Afterall, they won't be going for the overall in an LMP2.

Also, were there to be a second Highcroft P2 in the ALMS, be nice to see Marino and Butch get the nod.

Last edited by Bentley03; 15 Dec 2009 at 09:38. Reason: appauling spelling!
Old 15 Dec 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2600111)   #1442
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39681

Not sure if there is anything new in the statement on here about Acura saying that they are developing a new LMP1 for the future? Unless it is referring to nick Wirth - but it is a little ambiguous
Old 15 Dec 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2600117)   #1443
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Not sure if there is anything new in the statement on here about Acura saying that they are developing a new LMP1 for the future? Unless it is referring to nick Wirth - but it is a little ambiguous
Well it's not Acura who are developing, its Wirth Research!
WR, has started the development, in hope that Acura will buy and finance the project later.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2600181)   #1444
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Acura is going to buy WR !!! ..... Where did you get that one from ?
Old 15 Dec 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2600185)   #1445
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Go back to October 7, 2009 entry:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept09.html

Nothing new in the pitpass.com write up.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2600187)   #1446
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to be short with anyone but isn't that old news?

I thought they were working on a new LMP1 with their own budget with the hopes Honda would buy it. With the scaled-back participation of Honda, and since it was self-financed, they can now pitch the design as a ready-to-go prototype design to any interested parties.

EDIT: Mulsanne Mike beat me to it...
Old 15 Dec 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2600190)   #1447
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot brougham View Post
Not to be short with anyone but isn't that old news?
That is why I put - 'not sure if there is anything new in this statement'.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2600197)   #1448
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is why I put - 'not sure if there is anything new in this statement'.
Indeed...
Old 15 Dec 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2600303)   #1449
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Acura will either have a new LMP1 car for 2011, or maybe resurect the ARX-02 as the post-2010/11 rules are more favorable for it, as in most ways the idealogly behind the ARX-02 was an LMP2 car with LMP1 tires(which will be used on the new LMP1s) and a slightly larger engine...anyone think that the new HPD/Acura engine might be a sleeved down or de-stroked 4.0 V8?

Granted, both the 3.4 and 4.0 are based off of the still born Indy Car V8, but reportedly very few parts will interchange between 4.0 and 3.4, and the engines can't be used interchangably between the LMP1 and LMP2 machines without modifying the tub or using a semi-stressed adaptor kit.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2600368)   #1450
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

Granted, both the 3.4 and 4.0 are based off of the still born Indy Car V8...
Not true...Robert Clarke himself told some journalists who are friends of mine that the 3.4 L Acura LMP2 engine was built and designed from a clean sheet of paper and in no way is related to the IRL V-8 engine.

FWIW

One American Open Wheel Series!