Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3065083)   #1426
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lesson to be learned perhaps.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3065182)   #1427
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
A lesson to be learned perhaps.
Axles stands on gravel is, yes . . unless the gravels hiding red tarmac with white dots
Old 25 Apr 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3065255)   #1428
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Axles stands on gravel is, yes . . unless the gravels hiding red tarmac with white dots
???? Sorry red Tarmac with White dots passes me by.

Always knew the gravel would be trouble when Mrs MM demanded it instead of the smooth, level concrete we had before. I tried to be enthusiastic...
Old 25 Apr 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3065272)   #1429
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've seen a few gravel drives covering up concrete . . . or . . next door to us, the Pikeys got in there sometime in the late 70's and put that red tarmac with the little white stones in it . . .
Old 8 May 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3071434)   #1430
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The B roadster that was a pile of rust is slowly coming on in the workshop next door.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0119 m.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 May 2012, 07:24 (Ref:3071569)   #1431
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
wow, thats moved on a bit, it was a doylee 18 months ago
Old 9 May 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3071578)   #1432
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw a sieve going for around 2k on e bay at the weekend. Substantially more than I paid for mine.

Strange considering the background to these cars, but perhaps the current financial climate is encouraging people to look at the lower end of the market. Of course inevitably the popularity will make the lower end, the medium to higher end. Hmmm.

Anyway the work on that one looks to be progressing well.
Old 9 May 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3071586)   #1433
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Practical classics, no road tax, not bad on fuel, fun to drive especially on a summers day, not bad on fuel, parts available and very simple to work on and will never drop in value hence the popularity.
Old 9 May 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3071589)   #1434
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, but 2k before you strip it down and buy all the panels, do the work on it etc. seems a lot to pay unless there's a reason such as racing it.

I guess for a restored road car you'd not get much change from 25k if you had the work done by professionals and 12k if you did it all yourself. But the paint job would set you back 2-3k surely? Then, if you come to sell it, would you get more than 12k for it?
Old 9 May 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3071603)   #1435
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're about right Peter. I paid £1650 for my '69 B GT 2-years ago which was mechanically very good and on the road since then but the bodywork needed a bare metal re-spray and replacement front wings / door skins which has just been completed (see avatar). Bodywork / re-spray done by a local man and I'm doing the mechanical bits etc.

Should be back on the road in the next couple of months but when I add up the total costs including new carpets / seats etc etc I'm just nudging £10K. I know I'll never get it back but it is a project / hobby and something I've never done before so I'm not complaining.
Old 9 May 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3071625)   #1436
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes 12k today but have cheap fun with it for a few years then sell it for 24k, or buy a new car and loose 24k in a year!
Old 9 May 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3071627)   #1437
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GTs never command the money of roadsters, either. What year was the sieve, Peter?
Old 9 May 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3071630)   #1438
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
65. You saw it in the MGB50 race last weekend.

GTs are still good value though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3071631)   #1439
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the price of rotten old Fords is going up . . . the better ones get kept I guess seive/pug-laden projects seem to be commanding notably more than a year or two ago. even cooking models.
Old 9 May 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3071635)   #1440
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes this is the point I was possibly not making very well. The lesser cars are becoming more popular. Will this make them less attractive for restoration?

Also will it increase the value of cars like ours?

Old 9 May 2012, 11:34 (Ref:3071684)   #1441
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
65. You saw it in the MGB50 race last weekend.

GTs are still good value though.

The sieve that was on eBay at the weekend for 2k???
Old 9 May 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3071685)   #1442
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh sorry. My sieve was at Snett. The E bayu one was on my mates phone. It was a 3 bearing tunnel.
Old 9 May 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3071833)   #1443
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I said on another thread about this particular car in that it really wasn't worth doing but he only paid £200 for it, but my mate who has been panel bashing for 50 plus years wanted something to occupy him in his dotage.
The thing is that there was lots of bits n pieces missing including the seats and since then he found that a relative was fed up with a GT that his son had stripped out and left in the garden and was told he could have the seats as long as he took the shell away !
The GT shell is in good condition and even has new wings on it so it looks like another project
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 May 2012, 10:23 (Ref:3073546)   #1444
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got the head back on the Imp yesterday - wish I had a Churchill RG355 tool to be able to re-tension it later without removing the cam again, they seem to be thin on the ground these days. My mate & I have a few bits though, eg the 'special tool' for holding back the timing chain - not quite as useful...

He is putting a Sunbeam Rapier fastback back together after a respray, the heater box & controls are now far too pretty for something that will be hidden under the dash but should all work well which is the main thing.

Last edited by johnh875; 13 May 2012 at 10:33.
Old 13 May 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3073958)   #1445
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'll ask around my Imp-ish friends to see if anyone has a spare one I could send you....
Old 22 May 2012, 01:45 (Ref:3077579)   #1446
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the engine is running now, very loud due to a late decision to paint the exhaust link pipe (from extractors to across-the-back muffler), lucky it is in an industrial area well away from any housing. Next item, replace cracked windscreen.
Old 22 May 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3077851)   #1447
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was at Zandvoort at the weekend and there was a RS 2000 just like mine on slicks. Had a good long chat with the guys and girls running the car. Must say very tempting, they did three half hour races over the weekend.Might just have to get her out of storage once Colin's E Type is finnished.
Old 22 May 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3077899)   #1448
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not before time either!
Old 6 Jun 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3086571)   #1449
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year's winter project?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barn-Find-...02045373264518
Old 6 Jun 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3086573)   #1450
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The worlds gone mad!