Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Dec 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2600503)   #1451
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, Mike on his site says that the 4.0 and 3.4 can trace their lineage back to the 2006 Indy Car 3.0 V8 that was put away when Toyota pulled out of the IRL and as a result was never used in an Indy Car.

Either way, the point is valid-cars that use the 3.4 or the 4.0 can't switch back and forth between the engines, especially the ARX-02 that was designed with the 4.0 speicifically in mind. The only way is if the engines could be mounted semi-stressed, which I believe could be the case with the 3.4 since it used the Courage LC70/75/FLM 09 tub that usually uses semi-stressed/customer engines, while the 4.0 was designed to be stress mounted in the ARX-02, and I don't believe the ARX-02, being an Acura/HPD/Wirth properitary chassis can easily accept another engine, especially if it's stress mounted.

I'd like to know specifically what the differences is between the 4.0 and 3.4, and how they differ from the never used Indy V8.

And what of the "new" engine-is it a sleeved or de-stroked 4.0-or could it be the '06 IRL engine?
Old 16 Dec 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2600797)   #1452
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Not true...Robert Clarke himself told some journalists who are friends of mine that the 3.4 L Acura LMP2 engine was built and designed from a clean sheet of paper and in no way is related to the IRL V-8 engine.

FWIW
"...and in no way is related to the IRL V-8 engine." That makes the above statement correct. This is what I wrote back in January of 2007:

There has been a lot of speculation about the origins of the Acura LMP2 engine. It is our understanding that the rumor about it deriving from the IRL power plant is technically incorrect. In 2004 HPD's engine design department began work on what would have become the 2006 IRL engine and resulted in Honda weaning itself away from Ilmor, bringing the IRL program in-house. In 2005, with the IRL’s change in direction to a single engine spec series (and with no competitive motivation), design work for the ’06 motor was redirected to the LMP2 application. And while the IRL and LMP2 engines may appear similar, indeed the bottom ends look very similar, it is understood that absolutely no part will fit one to the other.

This all came down to the still born IRL engine using metric hardware and therefore not a single part would fit onto the existing IRL engine given its use of SAE fixings.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2630838)   #1453
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Waiting to get a good look at the ARX-01c.

L.P.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2630970)   #1454
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
RML is listed in the LM entry list as using an Acura/HPD engine, but a 2-liter turbocharged lump is written down there. Is that just a mistake on the part of the ACO and are they running the 3.4 V8 as well, or... is there something we aren't being told?
Old 10 Feb 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2630975)   #1455
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That must be a typo!! Not sure if the car will be powered by the 3.4L or 4.0L V-8. The 4.0 is probably more likely for this year, but, the 3.4 would allow more development of the package for 2011 as that is the max size for an N/A V-8 by rule in 2011.

L.P.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2630977)   #1456
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
A mistake indeed.

Quote:
THE HONDA PERFORMANCE DEVELOPMENT ENGINES: for the first time on the entry list: “HPD”, for Honda Performance
Development. Two British teams, RML and Strakka Racing will indeed by equipped by the Japanese manufacturer.
RML will have a Lola chassis and the car will be entrusted to inseparable experts Tommy Erdos and Mike Nexton.
source: http://www.lemans-series.com/ml/imag..._saison_gb.pdf
Old 10 Feb 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2630983)   #1457
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
That must be a typo!! Not sure if the car will be powered by the 3.4L or 4.0L V-8. The 4.0 is probably more likely for this year, but, the 3.4 would allow more development of the package for 2011 as that is the max size for an N/A V-8 by rule in 2011.

L.P.
They are in LMP2. The maximum race engine size they can use is 3.4l. The 4.0L is not a "homologated" engine, and therefore not eligible for the class.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2630991)   #1458
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
They are in LMP2. The maximum race engine size they can use is 3.4l. The 4.0L is not a "homologated" engine, and therefore not eligible for the class.

My bad, you are correct. It will be the 3.4L lump for RML then and Highcroft as well.

L.P.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 01:12 (Ref:2631085)   #1459
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But, I think they can put the 4.0L in next year and run in LMP1.

(not saying they or anyone else will)
Old 11 Feb 2010, 01:28 (Ref:2631091)   #1460
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
But, I think they can put the 4.0L in next year and run in LMP1.

(not saying they or anyone else will)
Unless things change, LMP1 race petrol engines will be 3.4L maximum next year.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 02:13 (Ref:2631122)   #1461
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which means they could actually keep the 3.4 and run in P1...
Old 11 Feb 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2631200)   #1462
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Which means they could actually keep the 3.4 and run in P1...
Bingo
Old 11 Feb 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2631231)   #1463
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone identify who's helmet this is in the Highcroft ARX? They've been putting out several "Freeze Frame" videos and this helmet is definitely not Brabs or Marino, and I'm pretty sure Simon is shown at one point with his de Ferran helmet on.

Maybe it's just Simon with a new helmet, but I'm not sure

It looks like a red Arai lid with just a bit of white and blue. French colors?

Could this be a sign of a 2nd car to come for Highcroft?

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 11 Feb 2010 at 08:42.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2631296)   #1464
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's Pagenaud: http://simon-pagenaud.com/website/im...6_pagenaud.jpg
Old 11 Feb 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2631595)   #1465
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do HPD have a UK/European base, or will everything be shipped to and from the US?
Old 11 Feb 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2631609)   #1466
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
I would imagine for the chassis, Wirth will be involved. The engine and engineer, I would imagine come from Santa Clarita.

L.P.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2631615)   #1467
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The P1 engine size limit is going to be 3.4l??? That's rubbish. By which I mean, 'that sucks', not 'that's not true'.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2631630)   #1468
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The P1 engine size limit is going to be 3.4l??? That's rubbish. By which I mean, 'that sucks', not 'that's not true'.
"Proposed"
Old 11 Feb 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2631633)   #1469
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
"Proposed"
Draft regs are with manufacturers - it's happening.

Ben
Old 11 Feb 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2631635)   #1470
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'm glad I'm going to Le Mans this year because half the reason I'm going is to listen to all those Judd V10s.
Wandered off the thread a bit...
Old 11 Feb 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2631770)   #1471
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just dawning on y'all now that the song of V10's and 12's will be gone after this season?
Old 12 Feb 2010, 01:16 (Ref:2631872)   #1472
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
It's just dawning on y'all now that the song of V10's and 12's will be gone after this season?
Which to my mind, what's left anyway, seems like a really bad thing.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 02:29 (Ref:2631900)   #1473
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Well, I'm glad I'm going to Le Mans this year because half the reason I'm going is to listen to all those Judd V10s.
Wandered off the thread a bit...
If you think thats the sound to hear wait till you hear the Aston Martin Lola V12. That engine in whatever config its in is the best sounding thing on the planet no argument. nothing comes close. F1 cars are painfull. nascar no.diesel no.
I think everone can agree on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=2Zwar...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=fhDBD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=9ve6e...eature=related

Last edited by Audi Racer; 12 Feb 2010 at 02:37.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 02:38 (Ref:2631907)   #1474
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i just realized that Aston Martin is creating a 3.4l V8 for P1 racing how exciting
Old 12 Feb 2010, 02:49 (Ref:2631912)   #1475
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
And the ARX-01 has only ever had a V-8.

L.P.