Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:33 (Ref:4012855)   #126
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Mugello. Bottas led. He choose opposite tyres to Lewis. Bottas pitted first. Lewis pitted second. Team switched Lewis to the same tyres as Bottas.

B.
Again, listen to Mercedes, they put the drivers on the same tyres so its fair. as soon as the first driver pits and goes onto the tyre, the second driver gets the same.

IIRC Bottas was second at that point anyway? couldnt make his tyres last as long as hamilton so had to pit first, losing any advantage he may have gained

This was covered in mercedes interviews at the time and was reinforced today.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:35 (Ref:4012856)   #127
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or you could describe as

Leader chooses to pit first, and as leader, was allowed to change strategy, its only fair that the second can.

This topic has got as ridiculous and gone down such a short cut de sac as it did with Hakkinen and Coulthard days.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:36 (Ref:4012857)   #128
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel was very, very nearly in a gravel trap just now. I'm sure he'd have appreciated the difference between tarmac and gravel at the time.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:38 (Ref:4012858)   #129
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Again, listen to Mercedes, they put the drivers on the same tyres so its fair. as soon as the first driver pits and goes onto the tyre, the second driver gets the same.

This was covered in mercedes interviews at the time and was reinforced today.
I don't see how it is "fair" to allow 1 car to dictate the strategy of the car behind. It also doesn't stack up with Mugello - Bottas made a decision based on Lewis side of the walls decision. How can Lewis and Bono even make a decision if that was going to be dictated by Bottas anyway? How can Bottas choose "the opposite" when Lewis can't decide because that's the rules?

The Mercedes decision making on tyre choices would not stand up to much scrutiny.

Not that it matters - you could give Bottas the best tyres and Lewis the worst and the result would be the same. Lewis has so much in reserve that he can turn it up to 11 on demand.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:39 (Ref:4012859)   #130
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But then as with a lot of things nowadays we are missing the main point. Hamilton pummelled poor Bottas.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:40 (Ref:4012860)   #131
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Perez Gasly. Not very pretty racing.

Edit: nicely done the following lap by Gasly.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:41 (Ref:4012861)   #132
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here we go...LH about to break a once thought unbreakable record and the conversation already about how Merc dont keep it fair.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:42 (Ref:4012863)   #133
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd be slapping Perez for that one. That wasn't ok.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:42 (Ref:4012864)   #134
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't see how it is "fair" to allow 1 car to dictate the strategy of the car behind.
It seems perfectly fair for the lead car to have preferential treatment on choice of pitstop and tyre choice.

Flip it around. would you think it was fair if hamilton sat behind bottas for the whole race, waited for bottas to pit, choose his tyres and then be given a better tyre to win the race???

At the end of the day, both drivers have equal equipment, equal fuel loads, equal tyres....and its down to driver skill, i dont see whats fairer than that.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:43 (Ref:4012865)   #135
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I never thought I'd see this happen. Bravo, Mr Hamilton, bravo indeed.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:45 (Ref:4012867)   #136
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But then as with a lot of things nowadays we are missing the main point. Hamilton pummelled poor Bottas.
And has now won more world championships GP races than any other driver in history. Well done sir.

But cue conversations about unfair pit stops.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:45 (Ref:4012868)   #137
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With style! Bravo indeed!
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:45 (Ref:4012869)   #138
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Astonishing.

Broken a record i never thought would be possible.....and did it by destroying the field.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:45 (Ref:4012870)   #139
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
It seems perfectly fair for the lead car to have preferential treatment on choice of pitstop and tyre choice.

Flip it around. would you think it was fair if hamilton sat behind bottas for the whole race, waited for bottas to pit, choose his tyres and then be given a better tyre to win the race???

At the end of the day, both drivers have equal equipment, equal fuel loads, equal tyres....and its down to driver skill, i dont see whats fairer than that.
Sounds all good until you realise Lewis side of the pit wall was making decisions despite being second. Doesn't sound like those rules were being upheld at that point.

Lewis would be utterly dominating these events regardless. I'll leave it at that before I get lumped in with the anti-Lewis anti-BLM crew, because I'm not. I just think Mercedes are trying awfully hard to bend over backwards and make rules fit situations.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:46 (Ref:4012872)   #140
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gasly finally gets the better of Perez.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:47 (Ref:4012873)   #141
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Will be surprised if Perez isn't spoken to regarding that block.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:47 (Ref:4012874)   #142
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
THAT is how you break a record.

Well done Lewis. An amazing achievement.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:49 (Ref:4012875)   #143
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Lewis on breaking Schumi's record.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 14:51 (Ref:4012879)   #144
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SIGH! Poor Russell and just when his seat may be underthreat.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 17:10 (Ref:4012929)   #145
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't see how its fair at all. It prevents each car from running a strategy that is optimal for them.

The real question is who comes out the looser on the team because of this? Probably Bottas. Even then, if each side of the garage was allowed to operate independently and optimally, Lewis would still be on top.

Richard
Old 25 Oct 2020, 18:48 (Ref:4012952)   #146
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well as usual the race behind the Mercedes was interesting but ridiculous that most of the field was lapped, the domination of F1 by the silver cars is not making the racing interesting, i know the other cars should be better but what can they do?
Old 25 Oct 2020, 19:19 (Ref:4012962)   #147
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It’s like most of the history of F1!
Old 25 Oct 2020, 19:52 (Ref:4012969)   #148
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i know the other cars should be better but what can they do?
Be better? It's not like Mercedes have some magic sauce. They work to the same rules. They're just better at every single aspect of making and running an F1 car. I think it's awesome, a privilege to watch,
Old 25 Oct 2020, 20:00 (Ref:4012970)   #149
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Rossi's out, bringing out the 4th caution of the race. Lost it at Turn 3 and into the wall and then shot across the track.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 20:07 (Ref:4012971)   #150
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Rossi's out, bringing out the 4th caution of the race. Lost it at Turn 3 and into the wall and then shot across the track.
I think this might be in the wrong thread?