Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 Aug 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3447881)   #126
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm worried about losing Fontana, Houston and Canada.
Old 26 Aug 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3447885)   #127
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I think Toronto will be there, no way Mosport takes the race on a 1 year deal. If Mosport gets the race, I expect a longer term deal 4-5 years.

I wonder if Fontana would be willing to do a March race?
Old 27 Aug 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3448170)   #128
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Texas confirms 2015 date.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/08/...015-race-dates
Old 27 Aug 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3448264)   #129
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.wbrz.com/news/indycar-set...w-orleans-date

New Orleans on April 12 should be announced today.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3448364)   #130
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Auto Extremist has some interesting scheduling ideas for Indycar to try and get some interest in the non Indy500 rounds.

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/
Old 28 Aug 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3448483)   #131
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
http://www.wbrz.com/news/indycar-set...w-orleans-date

New Orleans on April 12 should be announced today.
New Orleans has now been added.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115603
Old 28 Aug 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3448490)   #132
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Updated wish list for 2015 calendar:

1. Daytona Road Course (included with Speedweeks/one week after Rolex 24)
2. Homestead
3. Texas motor speedway
4. Phoenix Raceway
5. Long Beach
6. Indy 500

7. Brands Hatch
8. Le Mans (Bugatti)
9. Eurospeedway (oval)

10. Pocono
11. Watkins Glen
12. Mosport
13. Mid-Ohio
14. Indianapolis GP (along with Sprint Cup )
15. Milwaukee Mile

16. Interlagos
17. Potrero De los Funes

18. Portland
19. Sonoma
20. Fontana
Old 28 Aug 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3448546)   #133
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Worried? Pocono, TMS, Iowa.

There is lots of work to do for Mark Miles and Co.

Good to see the NOLA race materializing.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3448551)   #134
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
Updated wish list for 2015 calendar:

1. Daytona Road Course (included with Speedweeks/one week after Rolex 24)
2. Homestead
3. Texas motor speedway
4. Phoenix Raceway
5. Long Beach
6. Indy 500

7. Brands Hatch
8. Le Mans (Bugatti)
9. Eurospeedway (oval)

10. Pocono
11. Watkins Glen
12. Mosport
13. Mid-Ohio
14. Indianapolis GP (along with Sprint Cup )
15. Milwaukee Mile

16. Interlagos
17. Potrero De los Funes

18. Portland
19. Sonoma
20. Fontana
Well, finally, somebody includes Portland and Lausitzring in one of those lists. Potrero De Los Funes is probably a pipe dream because of the economy in Argentina. If you have seen the big crash in the Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen this year, IndyCar is probably better off that they are not invited to the place anymore. After this, I've scratched the Glen off of my wish list. Interlagos is be a very good choice for the flyaway race in Brazil. However, I'd replace the Bugatti Circuit of Le Mans with Dijon-Prenois because that track is much more racy.

And I'd add Sparta, Kentucky, to the wish list. And an Australian round. If Surfers is not possible, Adelaide should be it.

And my pipe dream of sorts would be a renovated Donnybrooke circuit at Brainerd, Minnesota, using the same business model of attracting the locals to the race as has proven successful at Iowa Speedway. See the "My Track Designs" sub-forum for details.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3448556)   #135
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I didn't know Fontana might be lost?
Old 28 Aug 2014, 16:08 (Ref:3448579)   #136
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I didn't know Fontana might be lost?
Fontana doesn't like the Labour Day weekend deal, yet Indycar feels it needs the date for season finale so they don't compete with NFL at all.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3448583)   #137
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Fontana doesn't like the Labour Day weekend deal, yet Indycar feels it needs the date for season finale so they don't compete with NFL at all.
I know about not competing with the NFL but not about Fontana being unhappy with the date.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3448584)   #138
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
I think I've seen Cavin tweet about it, as well as it being in the Racer article discussing 2015 dates
Old 28 Aug 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3448637)   #139
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yannick, the Watkins Glen thing is a non-issue for IndyCar, since they used the full, GP Circuit. Sprint Cup and Nationwide only use the Short Course. IndyCar simply never used the offending section of track that you're thinking of.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 21:13 (Ref:3448643)   #140
Atle Gulbrandsen
Rookie

Norway
Oslo, Norway
Atle Gulbrandsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, IndyCar is a North American championship, and I think all the races should be there. Now you have the USA and Canada, but I also miss a race or two in Mexico. It's better to concentrate on that region and make the championship BIG again.

If they choose to race in Dubai, I certainly hope they will race at the Dubai Autodrome. I visited the Autodrome last November, and it's falling apart. Nothing has happened there since the financial crisis, and it looks like a war-zone. Maybe an IndyCar race could fix the track.

But I would rather like to see IndyCar race at the best road-, street- and oval-tracks in the USA, Canada and Mexico. This is the area where you find most of the best tracks in the world, anyway.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3448659)   #141
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Well, finally, somebody includes Portland and Lausitzring in one of those lists. Potrero De Los Funes is probably a pipe dream because of the economy in Argentina. If you have seen the big crash in the Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen this year, IndyCar is probably better off that they are not invited to the place anymore. After this, I've scratched the Glen off of my wish list. Interlagos is be a very good choice for the flyaway race in Brazil. However, I'd replace the Bugatti Circuit of Le Mans with Dijon-Prenois because that track is much more racy.

And I'd add Sparta, Kentucky, to the wish list. And an Australian round. If Surfers is not possible, Adelaide should be it.

And my pipe dream of sorts would be a renovated Donnybrooke circuit at Brainerd, Minnesota, using the same business model of attracting the locals to the race as has proven successful at Iowa Speedway. See the "My Track Designs" sub-forum for details.
The sprint car crash in the NASCAR race was a reflection on the drivers not the circuit. I think the walls did their job, protecting people. NASCAR Sprint cars are a lot heavier than Indycars and the driver comments after the accident are OTW. And as Purist said the Indycars don't actually pass by that part of the wall...

Dijon is too rural. Le Mans would be an amazing coup if it ever came off....Paul Ricard would be a scream but Bernie owns it...
And yes, Adelaide would be great, even better than Surfers Paradise although both events in their current formats run on an abbreviated course.
If you want a third alternative for Australia, Phillips Island or Townsville would be interesting.
Brainerd? How much money is available for a new track upgrade plus the race fee? Its not a lot more economic than a proposal for Potrero de Los Funes and Indycar raced at Reliant Park. That's not a lot better than Brainerd's current International 2.5 mile track, if at all.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3448665)   #142
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atle Gulbrandsen View Post
For me, IndyCar is a North American championship, and I think all the races should be there. Now you have the USA and Canada, but I also miss a race or two in Mexico. It's better to concentrate on that region and make the championship BIG again.

If they choose to race in Dubai, I certainly hope they will race at the Dubai Autodrome. I visited the Autodrome last November, and it's falling apart. Nothing has happened there since the financial crisis, and it looks like a war-zone. Maybe an IndyCar race could fix the track.

But I would rather like to see IndyCar race at the best road-, street- and oval-tracks in the USA, Canada and Mexico. This is the area where you find most of the best tracks in the world, anyway.
If the Dubai Autodrome is falling apart then that's why they are going for a street race.

As for IndyCar being an only North American championship, the 500 was originally part of the WDC and in the '60s it encouraged foreign competition from drivers and manufacturers from Europe. In the '70s one of the most successful manufacturers was McLaren. I don't think I need to go on.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3448676)   #143
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened with the Houston again?
Old 29 Aug 2014, 11:50 (Ref:3448818)   #144
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The series delivers great racing and they have done alot so hat's off to them for that.

I see these cars and still think some junior formula though. I can't shake that feeling. Maybe I'm alone in that. But if I'm not and the body-kits don't radically 'beef up' the aesthetics, I don't see an Indycar race gaining long term appeal in international markets. That's my view of that.

From other perspectives, it's very easy to have these surreal day dreams about Indycar visiting these fantastic circuits around the globe but unless there's a real, substantial enthusiasm and tangible support to back it up from an international market, don't go. Consolidate at home first.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3448826)   #145
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
From other perspectives, it's very easy to have these surreal day dreams about Indycar visiting these fantastic circuits around the globe but unless there's a real, substantial enthusiasm and tangible support to back it up from an international market, don't go. Consolidate at home first.
Actually, I think that as long as the domestic market is difficult for IndyCar, they should try to milk as much as possible from foreign markets. Then again, IndyCar's international marketing is inferior to CART's from back then.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3448911)   #146
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
http://canadiantiremotorsportpark.co...rt-park-update

Quote:
Green Savoree Racing Promotions and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park management have discussed the option of a Verizon IndyCar Series date at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in 2015.

A Verizon IndyCar track inspector has completed a full track inspection at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and has provided recommendations.

“Understandably, the Toronto 2015 Pan Am & Parapan American Games have
forced us to consider alternative dates and venues for next year's race. We have worked tirelessly to explore all options and are close to making an announcement regarding when and where we'll be racing in 2015,” said Charlie Johnstone, president, Honda Indy Toronto.

“Kim Green and Kevin Savoree are friends within the motorsports industry and we will do whatever we can to help maintain an IndyCar date in 2015 here in Canada, given the challenges of the 2015 Pan-Am Games,” said Myles Brandt, president and general manager at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. “We’d be happy to help.”
Old 30 Aug 2014, 01:14 (Ref:3448971)   #147
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please, pretty please, with sugar on top, bring Indy Car back to Mosport!!! The last time I saw Indy Cars at Mosport, Danny Ongais was in Victory Lane and I had not hit 10 years old.

It is time - after years of racing around that excrement hole at the CNE - for these cars to stretch their legs at one of the fastest, bad ass road courses in the world.

I am waiting patiently and hope it will happen.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 02:24 (Ref:3448977)   #148
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am of course very curious about this too. That press statement really says nothing at all that wasn't already reported - IndyCar looked at the track, Green Savoree/Honda Indy Toronto have been discussing options. I guess it helps reassure the fans that things are underway.

I will be incredibly pleased if it goes to CTMP although I still think it's a long shot. IndyCars piling through Moss Corner, and panning opportunities through the foliage... yummy!
Old 30 Aug 2014, 09:33 (Ref:3449030)   #149
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Mosport is in count me in!

Where is a nearby accommodation recommendation?
Old 30 Aug 2014, 10:26 (Ref:3449038)   #150
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Yannick, the Watkins Glen thing is a non-issue for IndyCar, since they used the full, GP Circuit. Sprint Cup and Nationwide only use the Short Course. IndyCar simply never used the offending section of track that you're thinking of.
Yes, indeed, IndyCar ran the "Boot" section of the Glen when they last went there. But the crash happened near the underpass just after the Boot section rejoins with the short circuit.
And the reason the armco is so close to the track there is because of the underpass.

So to get the barriers further back from the track with the intention of increasing the eye of the needle, so to speak, they would have to lengthen the tunnel, build a bit more roof on top of it at both ends.

Purist, I don't consider this underpass at Watkins Glen to be the problematic one for IndyCar. But there is another of those short tunnels that crosses underneath the track just after the Esses section. Thus, the Esses, too, are tightly lined with guardrails and high fencing.

As we all know, whatever gets into the fencing bounces back onto the track. That section is dangerous for open wheel cars on the lap after a start or re-start when they go through there in a pack of rows of two at high speed.

So I feel kind of lucky IndyCar is currently not running at the Glen.
I agree of course that the circuit could provide great racing action with these kind of cars.