Old 27 Mar 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3385177)   #126
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What's good for F1 and what's good for the fans aren't necessarily the same thing.
I tend to disagree, because without a fan base Formula 1 can only exist for a very short time.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3385184)   #127
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like that they sound different from each other. The Ferrari sounds the best. The Renault lacks the whistling. Hear here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoIqWBCWamAThe Mercedes sounds aggressive.

I like how you can hear other sounds.

But I don't like the fact that I got on the bus the other day and the sound reminded me of an F1 car.

The V8 sounded flat, but I miss the harmonious singing note of the V10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGI_TILzYI

The V10 sounded like an excited puppy that you've just let off the lead in the park for the first time.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3385193)   #128
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I tend to disagree, because without a fan base Formula 1 can only exist for a very short time.
That's kinda what I said mate. The new engines might be "good" for F1, but they are bad for the fans... Just like moving to a PPV TV model, good for F1 perhaps, but really bad for the fans.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3385200)   #129
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...at-engine.html

Talking of engine sounds , anyone had a go at this? Turns out I am not entitled to an opinion on the new power units , I scored 0/8 !
I'm glad I did this. Not only is it a good laugh, it proves my point. I got the three normally aspirated F1 cars and the Aston Martin correct... the others [including the Merc V6] I got wrong !
Old 27 Mar 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3385254)   #130
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the sound of the new engines, while they may be quieter I like it better than the shrill of the V8 cars.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3385260)   #131
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'm glad I did this. Not only is it a good laugh, it proves my point. I got the three normally aspirated F1 cars and the Aston Martin correct... the others [including the Merc V6] I got wrong !
Similar here. I got the NA F1 cars right, but ALL of the road cars wrong.

I guess I'm just not much of a Supercar fan.

I was hoping the would have Alfas & Porsches and stuff like that which I've heard a lot.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 19:15 (Ref:3385266)   #132
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Go figure... I got all the supercars right, and the V8. But the V10, the V12 and the V6 mixed up.

Maybe I'll try it wearing ear defenders
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3385302)   #133
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's all very interesting isn't it.
How things go in circles.
1961-65 we had 1.5 litre engines but really no one had much idea how to build one and by 1965 we had BRM, Ferrari and Coventry Climax building V8's and a Honda V12.
Then we got bigger engines so some teams bored out their 1.5 litre engines to 2 litres and ran them as interim F1 cars while they came to grips with the new engines like an H16, some V8's and V12's, some of which came from the 2.5 litre era some 7 years earlier.
In the second year Ford funded the Cosworth V8 and that became the default engine for everyone except Ferrari and Honda until Renault went down the turbo route seven or 8 years later...
So what if Renault had left? Ferrari and Mercedes would be it. Aren't they two of the teams that battled it out in 1955....?
Old 27 Mar 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3385322)   #134
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...at-engine.html

Talking of engine sounds , anyone had a go at this? Turns out I am not entitled to an opinion on the new power units , I scored 0/8 !
Good lord, I got 8/8...
Old 27 Mar 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3385329)   #135
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I think they sound fine, not because of the sound they actually make, but because you can practically hear the technology involved.

The reason they are quiet is because a vast amount of the energy produced is converted in to motion. What is it? 30% less fuel to do the same distance at the same (or nearly the same) speed? That is a great technical achievement.

That's what I hear. The technology, not the noise.
Good post.

I agree, I think the amount of moaning about the sound is surprising to be honest.

I didn't think it was so important for so many. I guess I can understand it a little bit, I mean they are not quite so Mind blowing live maybe as the old engines.

However for me personally I think its a very small part of the F1 experience and actually quite like the fact you get to hear tyre screeching and more of the car being driven hard.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3385330)   #136
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Good lord, I got 8/8...
Well done.

I got 6 out of 8.

I got all 4 of the F1 engines right.

I got the Bugatti Veron and Lambo correct but mixed up the Ferrari and Aston.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 22:37 (Ref:3385360)   #137
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Good lord, I got 8/8...
Nice one ! I am still hanging my head in shame , I did not expect a high score but at least expected to get the DB9 correct as I hear one almost everyday ! I put the Veyron sound as the Merc V6
Old 28 Mar 2014, 03:19 (Ref:3385414)   #138
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
So boys and girls this thread is about the V6 Turbo PU….
Old 28 Mar 2014, 04:37 (Ref:3385430)   #139
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But that was the most fun derail ever.

And it WAS nominally on topic.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 04:41 (Ref:3385432)   #140
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think you and miatanut will enjoy this too Davyboy.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the...st/index.shtml
I'm holding out for full-blown fuel cell.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3385443)   #141
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
what will get the kids first is the sound.
I listened to a podcast with Allan McNish on it recently, and the conversation got round to the quieter engines of today.

He said that, fundamentally, being at a racetrack was still a loud experience. He takes his young son and, to the youngster, it is still really loud and he wants to he wears ear defenders. You have to remember that if you are a kid going to your first race today you won't have prior experience of the noise, after all.

He also said that motorsport needs to adapt and that we should get used to quieter engines due to environmental and curfew issues.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3385458)   #142
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Its also the case that you never have as good hearing as you do as when you are a child. After about 10 years old your hearing ever so slightly deteriorates continuously.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3385467)   #143
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what you are saying is the engines haven't actually got any quieter?

F1.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3385498)   #144
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
So boys and girls this thread is about the V6 Turbo PU….
You are joking right ? How was that off topic ? The V6 turbo is included in the quiz ! I wonder why I bother posting sometimes .
Old 28 Mar 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3385504)   #145
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Looks like Jenson Button's on the FIA payroll as well.

"As drivers we don't have an opinion of where the cars are in terms of sound and feel."

What a load of corporate hogwash. Sorry Jenson, but drivers are enthusiasts too... they do have an opinion on these matters.
Do they? He is in a professional sport. The noise his car makes surely isn't a priority to him.

I don't recall many Audi LMP drivers having severe opinions on their diesel and hybrid cars either.

Vettel has an opposite opinion. Is it simply because he is mates with Bernie, then?
Old 28 Mar 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3385535)   #146
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched some of First Practice last night and the cars sounded much better than at Melbourne, I think it might be something to do with microphone placement, in relation to the track.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3385636)   #147
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Do they? He is in a professional sport. The noise his car makes surely isn't a priority to him.

I don't recall many Audi LMP drivers having severe opinions on their diesel and hybrid cars either.

Vettel has an opposite opinion. Is it simply because he is mates with Bernie, then?
Jenson said that he doesn't have an opinion and that no driver should have one. Vettel does have an opinion. My point is that drivers should have an opinion one way or the other... and that Jenson's corporate-squawk smells of something he's been paid to say. I'd have more respect for him if he came out and said that he prefers the new power train sound over its predecessor.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3385663)   #148
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's an interesting turn of events, regarding the sound of the engines. Australian Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker has threatened Bernie with the prospect of legal action over this year’s quiet cars and raised the possibility of scrapping the F1 race in favour of IndyCar in 2015.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mo...-1226866713277
Old 28 Mar 2014, 15:40 (Ref:3385667)   #149
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Jenson said that he doesn't have an opinion and that no driver should have one. Vettel does have an opinion. My point is that drivers should have an opinion one way or the other... and that Jenson's corporate-squawk smells of something he's been paid to say. I'd have more respect for him if he came out and said that he prefers the new power train sound over its predecessor.
OK, I have actually gone to see what Jenson actually said:

Quote:
“Go and race something else if you are not happy.

As drivers we don’t have an opinion of where the cars are in terms of sound and feel.

When you cross the finish line first you have won a grand prix. You don’t care what it sounds like or what it looks like. You have beaten the best in the world and that is all you care about.”
Surely that qualifies as an opinion? Not caring about something doesn't mean he doesn't have an opinion. His opinion is that it makes no difference, which is quite correct once we stop crying and actually look at it.

This isn't as fundamental a problem for the sport as jelly-Pirellis, for example. In fact it is for the better as the V8s were contributing to the crushing dullness of previous years.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3385668)   #150
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Here's an interesting turn of events, regarding the sound of the engines. Australian Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker has threatened Bernie with the prospect of legal action over this year’s quiet cars and raised the possibility of scrapping the F1 race in favour of IndyCar in 2015.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mo...-1226866713277
I think this is much less about his view of the sound or the "product" and much more about appearing to have attractive alternatives in order to drive the price down.