Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1336296)   #126
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It has shades of the LMP1-98 from the front, if you ask me.

Slight tingle down the spine to see a proper Porsche prototype again.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1336332)   #127
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
It has shades of the LMP1-98 from the front, if you ask me.
It also resembles the secret Porsche LMP1 project:

Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1336333)   #128
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Does anyone else find the choice of sponsors for the press photo interesting?
What's interesting on them? There aren't many.

It's not a radical design and has indeed looks of the Lucchini and '99 Audi.
I am afraid this car will dominate LMP2 for next couple of years.

BTW The text PORSCHE on the car looks great.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1336359)   #129
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This car dominating P2 will be good for the sport as it will encourage the legions of 911 GT2 teams (at least the better funded ones) to enter prototypes.

Lola and Courage will not go down without a strong fight, plus they have their P1 programs to keep tham busy.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1336368)   #130
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Higher resolution pictures: here
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1336384)   #131
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
What will be the name of the car? Is it just Porsche LMP2?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1336392)   #132
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
What's interesting on them? There aren't many.
Porsche partners: Sachs ZF (clutch/shocks?), Michelin (tyres), Mobil1 (oil), Puma
Porsche NA (i.e. Alex Job) sponsors: Hyatt, Mail2Web
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1336412)   #133
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Porsche partners: Sachs ZF (clutch/shocks?), Michelin (tyres), Mobil1 (oil), Puma
Porsche NA (i.e. Alex Job) sponsors: Hyatt, Mail2Web
  • Sach ZF, Michelin and Mobil1 are already longterm Porsche suppliers.
  • Puma is the last few years very active in the autosport world (even Minardi is sponsored by them).
  • Porsche NA is logical because they took the initiative to start this project.
  • Hyatt is already sponsor of the Porsche Supercup and Porsche Motorsport NA.
So IMO these sponsors aren't special.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1336428)   #134
Carousel
Rookie

Carousel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Old 21 Jun 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1336589)   #135
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
possiabilities
Penske X2
Alex Job X1? plus a GT2
Peterson X1? plus a GT2
Flying Lizard X1? great to see a red and silver P2 with that great logo of theirs
BAM?
thats just in the ALMS. anyone I missed
Old 21 Jun 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1336591)   #136
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
So IMO these sponsors aren't special.
Indeed, Bosch and BBS are missing though
Old 22 Jun 2005, 04:35 (Ref:1336749)   #137
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was merely hilighting the commonality between the Alex Job livery and the one seen in the press photos. Since there's been a lot of rumbling about Alex having some distance from the factory this year, the photos indicate something very contrary. I would be very surprised to not see Alex running Porsche protos sometime soon.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1336865)   #138
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I think you are wrong. These are all Porsche partners and sponsors (in North America). That is why they are/were on the Alex Job cars and that is why they will be on the Penske car.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1337004)   #139
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't sure about the looks of it from first glance (first time I saw it was from today's Motorsport News) - However, give it a few looks and it really grows on yer!

It simply has to be good for sportscar racing to have a proper legend back, putting it's weight behind a project just at the time when Formula 1 seems to be going down the toilet.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1337321)   #140
karbon
Rookie

karbon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
just at the time when Formula 1 seems to be going down the toilet.
speaking of which, wouldn't it be great if all the teams leaving f1 (as some people are predicting will happen) move to sportscars? how about a sauber/bmw lmp with a de-tuned lower-revving 3.0l v10?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1337336)   #141
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to see Peter Sauber back in sportscars. But I doubt we'll see BMW follow him, seeing as they have just made a major investment in Formula 1.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1337341)   #142
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Peter Sauber can now retire. No need to worry about budget for his F1 team. The future for his 300 employers is secured; BMW even plans to extend the facility in Hinwil.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1337809)   #143
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
So the Porsche LMP2 car comes as a package: chassis, engine+gearbox, ... Is it plausable/possible that we could see the Porsche 3.4 V8+gearbox in a Lola or Courage chassis? Or have a Porsche chassis with a Judd, Zytek, AER, ... engine?
Old 23 Jun 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1337833)   #144
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt it, since Porsche has no (known to me) history of doing this.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1337852)   #145
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Read Mike's account of a recent visit to Dave Klym's shop, if you want to see how Porsche might feel about mix and match:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1338258)   #146
HaraldB
Rookie

European Union
Austria
HaraldB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Read Mike's account of a recent visit to Dave Klym's shop, if you want to see how Porsche might feel about mix and match:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html
Vice versa, I remember a March-Porsche in the IMSA series in the 80(?)ies.
It sported white and blue colours - IIRC.

Note to self: order a better brain next time
Old 23 Jun 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1338320)   #147
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes that was at the start of the GTP era, by Al Holbert, which played a part in convincing Porsche to develop the 962 for IMSA.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Jun 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1338413)   #148
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Alas Porsche got wind of the project and put the quash on it.

Yep, that about says it all, but to be fair, I think Porsche did do some chassis/engine swapping and other less than 'factory effort' racing, such as in Grand Am. But that was never their prefered avenue, and I too am very pleased to have them back in a 'proper' prototype!

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday!
Old 23 Jun 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1338630)   #149
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall Porsche's Le Mans victories in 1996 and 1997 utilized a TWR developed chassis from the Jag era.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1338631)   #150
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall Porsche's Le Mans victories in 1996 and 1997 utilized a TWR developed chassis from the Jag era.
Correct