Old 28 Aug 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2276865)   #126
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Sorry, engines that sound like a washing machine on spin cycle are annoying on their best day.
Champ Car Cosworth Turbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QX4D...eature=related

Washing machine spin cycle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeCs...eature=related
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Aug 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2277108)   #127
anthonyvop
Rookie

United States
Miami, Florida
anthonyvop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
Your optimism is amusing
Old 28 Aug 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2277126)   #128
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyvop
Your optimism is amusing
I think it would be a great time for Bill Tempero to fire-up the old American Indy Car series again.
It would leave the IRL, embarr-assed.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2277205)   #129
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I think it would be a great time for Bill Tempero to fire-up the old American Indy Car series again.
It would leave the IRL, embarr-assed.

Great! Just what we need! Another half-arsed attempt at a "top-level open wheel series" here in the US.

If we are going that far I might as well unveil my attempt at that as well. If it is going to be amateur hour (no offense to Bill Tempero) then we might as well have a look at my idea for blown V-6 Formula Fords....

Five months into the single series program and we are sitting here like a bunch of coyotes caught in traps trying to chew our stupid legs off by talking about what Champ Cars sounded like in 1972 rather than do anything constructive.

I know I sound harsh but jeezum crow this whole conversation has been about everyone's idea on how to make the IRL into whatever each person's ideal of Champ Car was. The problem being that a lot of folks weren't even born during the time when some of us formed our ideal - this is exactly why I think it is time to turn the page and move forward. If not, then heck, let's start all over again and have riding mechanics and skinny tires and magnetos...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 03:25 (Ref:2277231)   #130
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

I know I sound harsh but jeezum crow this whole conversation has been about everyone's idea on how to make the IRL into whatever each person's ideal of Champ Car was. The problem being that a lot of folks weren't even born during the time when some of us formed our ideal - this is exactly why I think it is time to turn the page and move forward. If not, then heck, let's start all over again and have riding mechanics and skinny tires and magnetos...
Would't be any worse than the bag of doo the IRL is going to bring.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 04:14 (Ref:2277244)   #131
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about the IRL just build a time machine and allow everyone who wants the series to go back to 1968 to be transported back to the good ol' days? That would please everyone, it seems.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 04:19 (Ref:2277247)   #132
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
How about the IRL just build a time machine and allow everyone who wants the series to go back to 1968 to be transported back to the good ol' days? That would please everyone, it seems.
Unless you are to simple to understand, all they have to do is adapt a variation of the USAC rules that CART used for a looooong time.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2277363)   #133
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It would probably be cheaper....
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2277377)   #134
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Unless you are to simple to understand, all they have to do is adapt a variation of the USAC rules that CART used for a looooong time.

Yeah Bob, thanks! Me and a lot of folks here, some folks who work for/used to work for teams who I have had the privilege to meet and talk to, why, we are all just tooo simple to unnerstan the bay-siks of raycin!

We aren't simple Bob. At least I am not. I am not overly bright otherwise I would have more shiny things in my garage, but don't call me simple. Those other folks don't strike me as simple either. Some of them are pretty darn smart - way smarter than I am, for sure.

Things have changed. It isn't 1972 anymore. If I want to see unchanged, I'll go to a sprint car race (and heck, even they have wings now).

I'll go a step further: talk to anyone who was around in the racing equivalent of The Garden of Eden and I'll bet they would tell you things weren't perfect either and that there would have been things they would have changed.

Could some of the concepts that made the racing exciting to watch be incorporated? I am sure they could, but leave the old USAC rulebook where it is.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2277462)   #135
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One cannot plan for the future when its sights are stuck in the past.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2277505)   #136
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
One cannot plan for the future when its sights are stuck in the past.
CART, CC and the IRL supposedly abandoned what worked--for the future-- (actually only you are dumb enough to call it the future.) They killled what worked because they had were arrogant narcisissits-The suvivor looks like a lying jack-ass, and the others are dead.
Your point is rather asinine, but if you prefer that fine.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2277856)   #137
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Gee, thats mighty nice of you to abandon the high road here Bob and make this personal. Have a nice evening.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 04:36 (Ref:2285273)   #138
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyvop
A few Questions.
Will the fans still be around in 2011?
Will anybody be watching the races on Vs in 2011?
Will there be any sponsors left in 2011?
Will the IRL even be around by 2011?
Tv ratings are up.

Which sponsors have left the IndyCar Series compared to 2007?

What pre and post race stuff did ESPN/ABC have?

How much indy 500 qualifying did ESPN show?
Old 9 Sep 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2285297)   #139
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
CART, CC and the IRL supposedly abandoned what worked--for the future-- (actually only you are dumb enough to call it the future.) They killled what worked because they had were arrogant narcisissits-The suvivor looks like a lying jack-ass, and the others are dead.
Your point is rather asinine, but if you prefer that fine.
Yeah, what the hell, Bob?

Look - everyone is passionate about open-wheel, and that's great. And we can all debate on what we think the series should be until the cows come home. JonnSSC is right - we are all thinking that the IRL should be a resurrection of Champ Car, and that's not healthy. Let's face it, if Champ Car was so great, then why did it fold? Why are the CC teams part of the IRL and not vice versa? I loved Champ Car just as much as anyone, but we got to face some harsh facts now.

Champ Car and everything about it is dead. The IRL is the open-wheel series for North America, and the IRL will make its own path as to how it will see what open-wheel racing needs to be. And if the fans don't respond to any of the changes, then as a business the IRL will figure out what they need to improve upon.

Keep in mind, everyone, that this is the first year of the merger and that it happened in a very short amount of time. Give it until at least 2009 to see how things are.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2285565)   #140
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob, the survivor IS the survivor. It is the top open-wheel series in North America centered around the Indianapolis 500, the world's oldest race at the world's largest seating facility.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and grump and groan about the state of it, but it is what it is -- ONE SERIES, not two, with a much better long-range future as a combined entity, regardless of whether some dislike TG, or rules, or a parking attendant at Kentucky or the hot dogs at Detroit.

To expect it to soar o'er the ramparts for the first time in 12 years that it HAS been together, in the short amount of time that was left to put it together, is off target. The project is not going to be "microwave."
Old 9 Sep 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2285800)   #141
bil588
Veteran

United States
Drivers welcome 2011 turbo switch

Sunday, August 24th 2008

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70021
Old 9 Sep 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2285859)   #142
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OF COURSE TURBO is the way to go
6 or 4 or 8 cylinders it sounds better easier to control and tune power...
and it has a history at the Speedway which is NAOpenWheels big race.
I think they can allow for supercharging-just to have it in the rules and see who bites.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2286096)   #143
bil588
Veteran

United States
I hope they also allow superchargers.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 04:08 (Ref:2286212)   #144
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Give them 1500bhp mega-uber-bing-bang-baboom-ultra-turbo-super-chargers monsters, then provide them with pretty low-grip tyres: to top it off, get rid of a bunch of wing-based downforce.

Spirally costs, yadda-yadda, and so on. I know.

Let me dream, if only for a few minutes.

Last edited by Dutton; 10 Sep 2008 at 04:10.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 23:54 (Ref:2286812)   #145
bil588
Veteran

United States
Another fan for non-spec chassis

David Lawrence, Albany, GA

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ptember-3//P2/
Old 11 Sep 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2287260)   #146
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I believe that many people both here and elsewhere would love to see more diversity in the chassis (and engines). But there are two things to consider right now:

1) The chassis manufactuers need to make a profit if they are going to produce a few chassis with all of its R&D costs

2) The IRL teams should be able to afford the chassis. One of the reasons why there is a spec chassis was to save costs for the teams.

One thing about multiple chassis that I am in favor of is that it can give the lower-tiered teams a chance to be more competitive. Maybe they can find an engine/chassis combination that works for them.

*Hey, everyone - it's my 1000th post!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2287338)   #147
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The problem which has to be beaten, technically, is that we don't have a spec chassis made by one manufacturer at the moment but only have one type in use.

The challenge faced is how to make it so multiple makes will be picked up by the teams (that is, make it so multiple can be close enough in standard to make them viable).

Elsewise, you get a situation like now whereby you have a de facto spec, as opposed to true spec.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 05:13 (Ref:2287747)   #148
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Well what has to happen then is to have standards, but also have tolerance levels so that there is some room to play with. Don't make the standards so tight so as to have de facto specs.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2287905)   #149
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Congrats on your 1000th post, Amar!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2288258)   #150
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Congrats on your 1000th post, Amar!
Thanks, John!

Now, let's get back to the specs!