Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2148117)   #126
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad news for Walker although i read somewhere Gore wasn't paying his bills and i read in eNews (like mac has said) there have been reports of KV chasing Power hopefully he gets that drive he deserves it.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2148147)   #127
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It is definitely not a good thing that Walker is going to sit it out this season - they seemed to have been the most forward-thinking team as far as being "ready" for unification.

I wonder if Walker is pursuing anything for Indy for this year. Or perhaps drivers with a budget for Indy might be pursuing him...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2148318)   #128
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This merger is becomming a disaster

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2148340)   #129
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why?
Once you have 26-28 cars on the grid, the number is sufficiently good.

The real success will have to be gaining new entries since 2009; the fact of summing up all or just most of the CC squads is not that relevant IMO.
We know infact that the Unified OWR's main goal is to catch up with Nascar, which means make some Nascar driver/team find it interesting to switch to Indycar.

So only time will tell, not Walker's current troubles surely.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2148343)   #130
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. and , by the way, italiaracing reports that Yasukawa has filed an entry for Motegi, with possibilities to extend to Indy

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=18248&cat=3
Old 10 Mar 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2148419)   #131
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
It is becoming a disaster, still no Robert Doornbos news!!!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2148429)   #132
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This grid is anorexic. It has an obsessive fear of gaining weight and is throwing up all the teams that enter.

Still, I expect 2009 will be better.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2148655)   #133
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As much as he usually never is right, it is looking like Bourdais was on the money - it's not a merger, it's just the death of Champcar.

Officially, it's just 'most' of the IRL teams from last year plus Newman-Haas is all that's really been confirmed so far
Old 10 Mar 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2148702)   #134
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Walker probably wouldn't've been able to put a ChampCar team either, unless OWRS had funded him. The grid still looks fairly rosy at this stage, and 2009 is the real acid test.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 02:45 (Ref:2148842)   #135
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in Motorsport eNews the ran a storey and they quote Will as saying to them that he is confident of signing something in the next couple of days, they also said it's likely KV Racing so keep your eye open guys and girls.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 02:49 (Ref:2148845)   #136
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
As much as he usually never is right, it is looking like Bourdais was on the money - it's not a merger, it's just the death of Champcar.

Officially, it's just 'most' of the IRL teams from last year plus Newman-Haas is all that's really been confirmed so far
Newman Haas, Penske, Ganassi and Andretti green are the top teams once again united under one series - a positive development in my book.

Usually F1 has around 25 entries per race, I would look for the IRL to have around this number in the future, with the exception of Indianapolis of course.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 03:40 (Ref:2148866)   #137
nabz
Rookie

Australia
nabz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
Usually F1 has around 25 entries per race, I would look for the IRL to have around this number in the future, with the exception of Indianapolis of course.

When was the last time F1 had a 25 car field??? I expect IRL to have a 24 - 26 car feild in 2009 whch is not a bad number at all.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 06:15 (Ref:2148891)   #138
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Of course, the grid scenario for 2008 is a bit dubious: it was never going to be anything else. The "unification" has clearly been the IRL dominating, whilst picking up bits and bobs from CC.

The important thing is that there is one series.

2008 was always going to be a bit ropey: 2009/10, and beyond, is when it will matter.

Last edited by Dutton; 11 Mar 2008 at 06:18.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2148905)   #139
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Of course, the grid scenario for 2008 is a bit dubious: it was never going to be anything else. The "unification" has clearly been the IRL dominating, whilst picking up bits and bobs from CC.

Well that's shouldn't sound as a big surprise cos it was clear since the very beginning of the story; that's what could have happened years ago, hadn't the amigos won the Cart auction trial.

But IRL are'nt picking up "bits and bobs", but the few good things that still were in CC, starting from NHL, which are something more that "bits and bobs"

I agree with boots that this "merger" has just discovered the problems of Walker team, that already existed but, the amigos used to hide by funding them.

Best wishes to Derrick to find a better partner to finance his outfit.

About IRL, now we have a 25-26 spots grid, ore even more, much more than F1, at the level of GP2, but, that's the best point with 4 top teams, with at least 9 drivers steadily fighting for the win (plus occasional outsiders); tell me which series can privide fans with such numbers, only Nascar maybe, but none from the world OWR.

And in 2009 things are bound to improve, since there will be a rationalisation of schedule, and the potential to attract even more quality entries.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2149068)   #140
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
I agree with boots that this "merger" has just discovered the problems of Walker team, that already existed but, the amigos used to hide by funding them.
I didnt see CC funding Walker. It seems the deterioration of Gore's and therefor Aussie Vinyards money curtailed Walker racings involvement in the merged series.

Walker was and is one of the good guys, this news takes the shine of what has been a fruitful month or so.

I know seed money isnt a part of the new merged series, however for someone who has ridden the ups and downs of the past decade it would be appropriate.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2149357)   #141
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ChampCar would have funded Walker if they needed to this year though - they would have needed the extra cars. Neither IRL or ChampCar could hope to have as many cars as the IRL will have this year, and it should be a close fought series. Realistically only NHR and perhaps Minardi had the ingredients to match the top IRL teams (once the top ChampCar teams, lest we forget).
Old 11 Mar 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2149446)   #142
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Conquest to enter a technical partnership with Forsythe Performance Research, and say their second driver to be announced shortly. PT's way in?
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...with-forsythe/
Old 11 Mar 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2149450)   #143
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Conquest to enter a technical partnership with Forsythe Performance Research, and say their second driver to be announced shortly. PT's way in?
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...with-forsythe/
My money is on Power not PT.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2149457)   #144
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
My money is on Power not PT.
All other reports suggest Power's joining Seriva at KV.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2149469)   #145
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
All other reports suggest Power's joining Seriva at KV.
I never said I was good with my money. I still stand by my bet.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2149578)   #146
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
But IRL are'nt picking up "bits and bobs", but the few good things that still were in CC, starting from NHL, which are something more that "bits and bobs"
I was not meaning to imply that what was being taken was insignficant, or somehow trivial.

I just meant stuff.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2149616)   #147
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right now NHL is the only team from CC that is on the IRL website so this is not very exciting for me yet. I really would some better news reporting on what the other teams are planning to do that are not officially apart of the IRL.

If this turns out to be just the IRL + NHL I probably won't be watching to many races this season.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2149622)   #148
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
Right now NHL is the only team from CC that is on the IRL website so this is not very exciting for me yet.
Perera + Conquest are on indycar.com as well. Teleconference tomorrow apparently with NHL and KV regarding their plans for 08.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 02:16 (Ref:2149670)   #149
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How interesting... many people now are saying what I've said in the past.

2008 is going to be a bumpy ride no matter how you look at it. 2009 or 2010 is going to be the real test to see how well the merger has gone.

Old 12 Mar 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2149778)   #150
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A merger done this late in the day was always going to be difficult though and I don't think anyone has had any illusions about it.

Still will be better than another season of division