Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Apr 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2674787)   #126
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
im not sure how asking for someone with an engineering backfround to explain how this works is trolling.

the so called response in the article is bogus because it doesnt make sense, which is the same as your response above, how can something which changes temperature by 100s of degrees in a few seconds have an optimum temperature to run at, thats just waffle. the battle is to keep them cool not to keep them warm

thus the reason i asked for someone with an engineering background
You dont need an engineering background to understand it. Its simple to most people who understand cars (and i'm well aware thats not alot of people, even on this forum).

Cool yes, -100 degree's no. Everything has an optimum temp, not exactly sure what that would be for V8s brakes, but you even hear the commentators saying it, 'he's getting the brakes up to temp' so clearly too cold IS a problem.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2674799)   #127
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Another succesful round of the Commodore Cup has been won and run.

Good to see Steve Johnson and Johnathon Webb kept the Ford flag flying.
Well, it still doesn't quite feel like a Commodore victory every time T8 win (to me) despite the clarity of the Holden logo on the overalls as the team congratulates the winning Whincup zooming past.

Steven who?
Old 18 Apr 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2674804)   #128
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
im thinking you might need an engineering degree to explain this one. and i dont think it is simple

like lets say you are right and brakes have this mysterious optimum temperature, how does swapping the left to right one help. all the technology used to cool the brakes down will work in reverse causing overheating. (which is what happened to the FPR cars apparently)

brakes change in temperature 100s of degrees (thus the glowing red each time they are applied in the night shots) if they are too hot then things stop working so teams spend a lot of money to cool them down, why would you want them slightly warmer, its counter productive

and i dont believe i have every heard a commentator say "he's getting the brakes up to temp" they refer to it with pads when they are doing pad changes because you dont want to put cold parts in onto the hot rotors
Old 18 Apr 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2674854)   #129
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
im thinking you might need an engineering degree to explain this one. and i dont think it is simple

like lets say you are right and brakes have this mysterious optimum temperature, how does swapping the left to right one help. all the technology used to cool the brakes down will work in reverse causing overheating. (which is what happened to the FPR cars apparently)

brakes change in temperature 100s of degrees (thus the glowing red each time they are applied in the night shots) if they are too hot then things stop working so teams spend a lot of money to cool them down, why would you want them slightly warmer, its counter productive

and i dont believe i have every heard a commentator say "he's getting the brakes up to temp" they refer to it with pads when they are doing pad changes because you dont want to put cold parts in onto the hot rotors
Common sense is usually enough. Swapping left to right, i dont know, but since they have been excluded, it would seem there is a set rotor for each corner of the car.

The commentators said it during frostys top 10 warm up lap, (i think it was frostys) because he was braking, and accelerating, and they said, it heats the brakes, and the tyres at the same time, as opposed to left to right which only heats the tyres.

Like i said, there is an optimum operating temp, believe it or not, thats your prerogative (I'd actually prefer you not to, its funny when people make fools of themselves). If they cool too much, they don't work as well. On the flip side, too hot, and they also dont work well.

The benifits of what they did, would come if there is a safety car, or after they pit, NOT while they are racing(which is where the would want them cooler)
Old 18 Apr 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2674876)   #130
dirttrack
Racer

dirttrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an optimum operating range. What changing sides achieves is inside the rotor are vanes which act like an air pump. They suck air in from the middle and pump it through the rotor. When you change sides you kill the efficiency of the pump helping the rotors retain heat. The problem is in the balance in a stop the fronts come up to temp way quicker or have not cooled as much from the last stop. The rears do a far smaller % of the stop and as they come up to temp efficiency increases causing locked rears at the end of the stop. So they have changed sides ( I am not sure but can guarantee this mistake was only made on the rears) to help retain the heat to change or manage the way the rear brakes operate over the whole stop. I know its been done before not too sure it was against the rules then though.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2675264)   #131
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
Is the #6 falcon a dunger, or is it the driver???? Seriously, 10 qualifying laps to get 25th place, 1.2 seconds off pole.

FPR, have a good look at whay you are doing with this seat for the rest of the year, its high time to give Mr Moffat some miles. Do a Paul Morris and punt your driver please.
S.Richards, your time is up !!

Without doubt, one of the most boring races ?? that i have ever seen.

Last edited by Reload; 18 Apr 2010 at 20:08. Reason: Edit.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2675316)   #132
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto View Post
S.Richards, your time is up !!

Without doubt, one of the most boring races ?? that i have ever seen.
I might have to watch with the sound turned down next time (or not watch it at all)

Listening to the clowns in commentary going over the top telling us how exciting it is drives me

I am starting to care less and less about this series
Old 18 Apr 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2675341)   #133
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as a spectator, I thouroughly enjoyed the weekend, Friday sitting trackside & in the stands on the weekend. Good view into the pits & turn one, three TV screens to watch the rest of the action. Good crowd & weather (sunday anyway). My only complaint was the thin support card. NZV8's was fun as were the Suzukis. Stunt bikes & utes doing donuts wore thin very quickly. Note to organisers - add at least 2 more categories next year.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2675354)   #134
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
I might have to watch with the sound turned down next time (or not watch it at all)

Listening to the clowns in commentary going over the top telling us how exciting it is drives me

I am starting to care less and less about this series
I've already stopped watching. The series was a foregone conclusion even before a wheel had been turned and IMO the series will probably continue to whither until VESA even things up and introduce race by race parity adjustments to liven things up and add entertainment.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2675390)   #135
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
What a bunch of whingers. You'd all ***** and moan if there was success ballast added, but your complaining now when the BEST team and the BEST driver are winning.

Thats what motorsport is meant to be about.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2675410)   #136
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
What a bunch of whingers. You'd all ***** and moan if there was success ballast added, but your complaining now when the BEST team and the BEST driver are winning.

I agree

But that doesn't mean the racing is interesting
Old 18 Apr 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2675435)   #137
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
V8 Supercars is in the entertainment industry.......but it is no longer entertaining.......take your blinkers off!!!
Old 19 Apr 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2675441)   #138
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Time to go for Mr Edwards? Here
One has to wonder if he runs a tight enough ship...
Old 19 Apr 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2675446)   #139
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Probably depends on how much wedge Mr Thompson brings to the table?
given the amount of increased speed received when the wedge was produced at DJR in the DVS, you would expect quite a bit...

i think we need to have a thread where only peckstar and stealthy can post, but everyone else can watch if they want, in which they can have their squabbles restricted to...
Old 19 Apr 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2675447)   #140
Alco
Rookie

Alco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I didn't bother watching this weekend, it has really become very predictable now. How long till 888 hang Lowdnes out to dry? I'm sure Mr Rolland Vodaphone wants a 1-2 every race. Who will replace him?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 01:11 (Ref:2675469)   #141
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Race thru the sheds

Ugliest track on the tour. I call it the "race though the sheds" It really does look like a circuit through an industrial estate.

I hope the event fails, and before I get jumped on by the NZer's, I want it to fail and have the race go back to a real circuit.

Lookd like more than a few empty seats on Sat- from the TV. Still haven't watched the Sunday race.

If cockrane & co gets their way, every round would be a street circuit.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 01:36 (Ref:2675474)   #142
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dude, stand I was in was full, the track goes through a suburb called Frankton which consists of parks, the Waikato Stadium & local business, I do not know many tracks that go thriugh residential areas. Track is no worse or no better than Adelaide, Sydney, Gold Coast etc. At this stage there is no viable alternative until perhaps Hampton Downs long track is completed. I will have the pleasure of going to Hampton Downs again next month to see the WRC cars at Rally NZ.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 01:38 (Ref:2675476)   #143
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
V8 Supercars is in the entertainment industry.......but it is no longer entertaining.......take your blinkers off!!!
Thats clearly an opinion thing. In my opinion, watching the best team perform at their best day in day out is greatly entertaining.
I'd say take your blinkers off, but i suspect you've had a flat battery for a while now.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2675479)   #144
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

So we have now had 8 races, 6 overseas with delayed telecasts and the championship seems done and dusted before the local rounds even start in earnest.
Started watching Saturday, started the recorder and switched off the TV after a few minutes. Probably won't watch the procession. The presentation is getting boring with too many shots from the roadway and fences, with cars zooming past line astern.
Watched about 15 minutes Sunday, switched off, didn't bother recording as the results had already been flashed up on the Sunday Telegraph website, why do we have to put up with channel 7 delaying the broadcast to show their equally boring aerial ping-pong games.
The series has been stuffed, I don't care if the car that looks a bit like a Commodore driven by Tander beats the other car that looks a bit like a Commodore driven by Whincup. Boooring.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2675495)   #145
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
One has to wonder if he runs a tight enough ship...
Call me naive, but why should Tim Edwards cop the blame for this. He is the team principle. Why not throw all the blame on Campbell Little. After all, he is a senior engineer for FPR. You would think someone with his years of experience and the stint as technical director for VESA, he would know which way to put a rotor on and which one goes where....hmmmm
Old 19 Apr 2010, 03:22 (Ref:2675513)   #146
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Thats clearly an opinion thing. In my opinion, watching the best team perform at their best day in day out is greatly entertaining.
I'd say take your blinkers off, but i suspect you've had a flat battery for a while now.
Clearly small minded people like you don't need much entertainment, you simply continue to laugh at your own jokes.......but from the comments that have been made in this thread, interest is starting to wane in the series.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 03:36 (Ref:2675519)   #147
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The buck stops with team leader Edwards.

I could not imagine a mechanic or engineer at 888 allowing a silly mistake to happen in fear of Dane coming down like a tonne of bricks.

I wonder if FPR has that culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Retirement View Post
Call me naive, but why should Tim Edwards cop the blame for this. He is the team principle. Why not throw all the blame on Campbell Little. After all, he is a senior engineer for FPR. You would think someone with his years of experience and the stint as technical director for VESA, he would know which way to put a rotor on and which one goes where....hmmmm
Old 19 Apr 2010, 03:55 (Ref:2675521)   #148
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It did happen at 888 a few years ago didnt it? Wrong rotors put on the rear from the ride car
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Apr 2010, 04:21 (Ref:2675527)   #149
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got back from a real race in country Vic yesterday and started to watch Saturdays race - any HONEST opinions as to whether it actually does get any better than the first 5 to 10 laps? (and by better I mean 'racing' - you know, fighting for position, real passing - not in the pits - this sort of thing?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 05:48 (Ref:2675545)   #150
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
The buck stops with team leader Edwards.

I could not imagine a mechanic or engineer at 888 allowing a silly mistake to happen in fear of Dane coming down like a tonne of bricks.

I wonder if FPR has that culture?

Surely you arent saying that Tim Edwards should know all thats going on with the mechanical/engineering side of the car. That why they grabbed Campbell Little isnt it? He is heralded as the savior of FPR and he is chief engineer of the team isnt he. Do you think he would make a "silly mistake"??
Tim's main job would be to oversea the whole operation of FPR and he hires guys to run diffent sections. The CEO of Westpac doesnt personally check every transaction that takes place at every branch does she? She has people (bank managers) who have the responsibility to run their branch.
Going off your reasoning, David Richards should be held responsible cause he owns the team so he should know whats going on.