Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Mar 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3042772)   #126
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Dawson needs to team up with Walchhofer... badly.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3043860)   #127
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I hear they got sponsorship from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory .

Very interested in hearing what Knighty has to say about Libra's latest issue's ?
Old 20 Mar 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3045213)   #128
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I hear they got sponsorship from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory .

Very interested in hearing what Knighty has to say about Libra's latest issue's ?
I havent spoken to Ian for a few weeks as he has been mental busy, I know they were delayed with getting the engine mapped in the car as it spent quite a bit of time on Roush-Yates chassis dyno, as I dare say they were learning alot about the precise boost control requirements for a restricted turbo engine and the problems it creates with drivability and turbo lag, all of which are potentially job stopping issues, which is hardly Roush-Yates bread and butter business, but dont get me wrong, Roush yates are a class outfit.........moving on, despite what I was previously lead to believe the car has not yet been converted to 2012 aero spec (fin & holes), I cannot see the ACO/IMSA giving any more waivers for old spec bodywork, so they really need to get that sorted ASAP.

Otherwise, I believe this RY-Ford V6 will be better than the Honda V6, but this will be hard to judge as the Radical chassis is the proverbial pensioner in comparison to the HPD.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3045280)   #129
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
moving on, despite what I was previously lead to believe the car has not yet been converted to 2012 aero spec (fin & holes), I cannot see the ACO/IMSA giving any more waivers for old spec bodywork, so they really need to get that sorted ASAP.
The Black Swan Lola B11/83 HPD does not comply with the 2012 aero rules either. It already has the fin, but it misses the holes.
Quote:
Otherwise, I believe this RY-Ford V6 will be better than the Honda V6, but this will be hard to judge as the Radical chassis is the proverbial pensioner in comparison to the HPD.
I agree that on paper the Roush-Yates Ford V6 looks like a great engine.

Lets hope that it gets picked up some other LMP2 teams next year. It would be nice to have some more diversity because most teams are to be going for NISMO power at the moment.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3045553)   #130
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
teams like black swan and Libra know that the ALMS organisers are desperate for LMP cars, hence are abusing their generosity, but from what I can see the ALMS seem to be making up the numbers with bumper entries of LMPC and GT cars, and to be honest, the racing is far closer and exciting, realistically black swan and Libra will only make up the numbers, they will not be able to hold a candle to the latest lola and HPD equipment, but may of course get lucky......yup, the NISMO engine is now rightly very fashionable......and I dont think HPD's efforts have helped the V6 turbo route, hence its an easy decision.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3045559)   #131
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just looked at the threads title, perhaps it should be changed?
Old 21 Mar 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3045722)   #132
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
In the World of Sportscars chat John Dagys predicts that there might be two different Roush-Yates powered teams in ALMS this year. I hope that this rumor materializes. He also mentioned that some GrandAm teams are looking at joining the ALMS, so perhaps one of these teams is considering the Roush-Yates Ford engine.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3045822)   #133
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Just looked at the threads title, perhaps it should be changed?
Agreed, perhaps the moderators could change the thread title to "Libra LMP2"

Interesting fact about the DP teams jumping over, I dare say they are probably already using RY's fantastic FOrd V8 engine, that in itself woudl make a cracking LMP2 motor........5 litre stock plock pushing over 500bhp and already optimised for a mid engine layout........but it would be nice to see the V6 turbo in decent LMP2 chassis like a Lola or Oreca and see what it can really do.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3045831)   #134
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
teams like black swan and Libra know that the ALMS organisers are desperate for LMP cars, hence are abusing their generosity, but from what I can see the ALMS seem to be making up the numbers with bumper entries of LMPC and GT cars, and to be honest, the racing is far closer and exciting, realistically black swan and Libra will only make up the numbers, they will not be able to hold a candle to the latest lola and HPD equipment, but may of course get lucky......yup, the NISMO engine is now rightly very fashionable......and I dont think HPD's efforts have helped the V6 turbo route, hence its an easy decision.
How exactly are Black Swan abuseing the system ?

They supported the series with a Ford GT for a season or two with development rubber from Falken . Ran a Cup car for a couple seasons , are somehow involved with Green Hornet Racing this year , maybe they own that . Expressed interest in a P2 last year , kept their mouth shut unlike Libra and turned up with said car this year also unlike Libra . Realistically Black Swan are there to make up the numbers , but at least their there , realistically unlike Libra .

A few weeks ago you were saying that we , on the forum were perhaps being a little unfair with respect to Dawson . Some of us agreed , and let up a little against our better judgement .

Im well aware of Ian Dawson's hostory and what he has achived in the past ..... some of which is lamentable . But serioulsy think now that he should go look for a job in Billy Smarts Cirrcus , but maybe there would be lots of unhappy faces when the clown doesnt show up again !!!

Please dont put Black Swan and Libra in the same boat . Black Swan have held to their word ..... Libra hasnt ..... for multiple years .
Old 21 Mar 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3045835)   #135
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Interesting fact about the DP teams jumping over, I dare say they are probably already using RY's fantastic FOrd V8 engine, that in itself woudl make a cracking LMP2 motor.
John Dagys says that the DP teams are not quitting GrandAm. They are expanding to ALMS, like Starworks is doing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
How exactly are Black Swan abuseing the system ?
The Lola coupe from Black Swan is still in 2011 aero, so no fender holes and perhaps also smaller fin.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3045886)   #136
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The Lola coupe from Black Swan is still in 2011 aero, so no fender holes and perhaps also smaller fin.
This is within the ALMS rules ..... so the car is legal to those rules , otherwise it wouldnt get past scrutineering .

The ALMS do things their own way .
Old 21 Mar 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3045888)   #137
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
IMSA adopted the complete 2012 ACO/FIA technical regulations.

For Sebring a waiver was issued which allowed ALMS and WEC team to run a 2011 car with 15 kg ballast. I was under the impression that this waiver would be temporary.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 14:44 (Ref:3045986)   #138
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Same as Pescarolo could run the 2010 car, but heavily neutered... One race only.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3046024)   #139
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
It will be interesting to see how the Black Swan and old Dyson cars are configured at Long Beach.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3046030)   #140
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It will be interesting to see how the Black Swan and old Dyson cars are configured at Long Beach.
There will be no old Dyson cars at Long Beach, as far as I'm aware they'll have two full 2012-spec Lolas (which will both go to Le Mans as well).
Old 21 Mar 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3046037)   #141
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
All the reports of the deal to put Michael Marsal and Eric Lux in a second Dyson Lola (announced sometime last week IIRC?) for about 6 races have said that it's last year's car that they'll be using. The ALMS describes it as 'the 2011 championship winning car', and Dyson's own website specifically refers to a B09/86. They should be debuting at Long Beach, unless something's changed?

http://www.americanlemans.com/articl...ar-2012-season

http://www.dysonracing.com/company/n...p?news_id=1190

As I recall, wasn't the rumour about Dyson's second new Lola is that it may not join the ALMS until after Le Mans, with them possibly running all three cars at some point later in the season?
Old 21 Mar 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3046076)   #142
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
All the reports of the deal to put Michael Marsal and Eric Lux in a second Dyson Lola (announced sometime last week IIRC?) for about 6 races have said that it's last year's car that they'll be using. The ALMS describes it as 'the 2011 championship winning car', and Dyson's own website specifically refers to a B09/86. They should be debuting at Long Beach, unless something's changed?

http://www.americanlemans.com/articl...ar-2012-season

http://www.dysonracing.com/company/n...p?news_id=1190

As I recall, wasn't the rumour about Dyson's second new Lola is that it may not join the ALMS until after Le Mans, with them possibly running all three cars at some point later in the season?
What you have stated above sounds correct (from what I remember). I don't think Dyson are going to have the 2nd 2012 chassis available for the ALMS until after Le Mans.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3046092)   #143
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
What you have stated above sounds correct (from what I remember). I don't think Dyson are going to have the 2nd 2012 chassis available for the ALMS until after Le Mans.

The second chassis was delivered at Sebring, during the week of the 12 hours. It is available NOW.. but the Marsal/Lux entry will be with the older car.
Old 3 May 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3068744)   #144
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
nice image of the engine here, am very interested to see how it runs compared to the Honda, Nissan and Judd offerings.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/spor...ut-230750.html
Old 3 May 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3068760)   #145
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
nice image of the engine here, am very interested to see how it runs compared to the Honda, Nissan and Judd offerings.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/spor...ut-230750.html
Hope it will get itself into a competitive chassis so we can see what i really can do!
Old 3 May 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3068825)   #146
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love V6 turbos....
Old 9 May 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3071726)   #147
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Just found this youtube footage of the Roush-yates Radical Libra from march time, the new V6 twin-turbo certainly sounds the part, this appears to be before they had the fin attached and the previous colour scheme........its posted by some bloke called "DSCGRAHAM".....hmmm, I wonder who that is!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVGI43kq91E

Cripes, its listed on the entry list now with 3 firm drivers, cripes it might actually run! but for how long is anyones guess.......best of luck I say

Raecar engineering magazine has been running an article on the Radical LMP2 chassis aero versus the zytek LMP2 with tunnel tests on both cars at MIRA and lead by Simon McBeath who Mike appears to be buddys with......... I must say it really does show how dated the radical had become, aerodynamically its become a bit of a brick, so it will be interesting to see how "updated" it really has become......as they say: the proof of the pudding is in the eating.........I seem to remember Peter Elleray designed the whole car with no wind tunnel testing and used all his knowledge of the bentley days, clever chap!
Old 9 May 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3071729)   #148
The Badger
Veteran

Well , Im glad to see them out and about . Wish them well in their new project .
Old 9 May 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3071730)   #149
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks for that post knighty. The Roush-Yates lump sure sounds the part. I hope they can overcome some of the aging chassis issues and put in a solid effort at Laguna.
Old 9 May 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3071737)   #150
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
I seem to remember Peter Elleray designed the whole car with no wind tunnel testing and used all his knowledge of the bentley days, clever chap!
Yes, but for the design of the WF01 he explicitly asked for wind tunnel time
Quote:
I wasn’t prepared to do another LMP car without proper wind tunnel work and despite the fact that Ruag ( a wind tunnel in Switzerland) is not the cheapest option, he had no hesitation in authorising us to go there when Alastair (Macqueen) and I recommended it.
source: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...593A0CA7DD2B8B