Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2747626)   #126
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
If you want it to be for the impecunious, which I would have though was very important, elligibility needs very careful rules
The problem with framing regulations (particularly in a public forum) Max, is that everyone will give you advice.....which surprisingly just happens to favour what they intend to enter!!!!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2747627)   #127
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
I am quite happy with the regulations as they are, so am happy if they are not changed. I would also be happy if they changed to allow a K series Metro to race, as this is the cheapest thing I can find that may last 6 hours.
OK, I did check & K Series engines seem to have appeared in 1.4 litre form in1989, albeit in Rover 214.

The Metro got it in 1990.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?enginekseriesf.htm
Old 20 Aug 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2747638)   #128
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
So my mate's Land Rover will be eligible as a Grand Tourer, so long as it has the safari tent on the roof rack?
I'd like to see it but we all know that Land Rovers don't last 6 minutes let alone 6 hours. Bit like me, really!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2747654)   #129
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
The problem with framing regulations (particularly in a public forum) Max, is that everyone will give you advice.....which surprisingly just happens to favour what they intend to enter!!!!
Very true and last weekends 8 car field was a starting point and not representative of the sort of cars that might get entered in future years. Sadly nowadays people don't always all adopt the sort of gentlemanly attitude to these things that we would all wish, which is why rules are needed.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2747658)   #130
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH View Post
Sadly nowadays people don't always all adopt the sort of gentlemanly attitude to these things that we would all wish, which is why rules are needed.
They do at 'my' meetings or they get taken round the back of race control for a good slapping with a wet flannel!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2747661)   #131
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
They do at 'my' meetings or they get taken round the back of race control for a good slapping with a wet flannel!
Ohhh you have just reminded me how we first met lol
Old 20 Aug 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2747665)   #132
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Careful! People might accuse us of 'favoritism, nepotism and a lack of clarity in the chain of command'

Sorry folks - 'in joke' We were once accused of that by another club! We'll leave you to decide if it's true!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2747666)   #133
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Didn't realise you had been to Public School!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2747668)   #134
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Didn't realise you had been to Public School!
Actually, I did ......but one takes one's pleasures where one can!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2747672)   #135
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Actually, I did ......but one takes one's pleasures where one can!
That must be why you are a Clerk...you must like dishing out punishment!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2747673)   #136
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
That must be why you are a Clerk...you must like dishing out punishment!
.....or, if I were in charge of the FIA, receiving it!!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2747731)   #137
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post
Been reading this with interest and was beginning to think it would be something to do in one of my racing Clans. I would appear to be one of the typical clubman competitors the event is aimed at. It would also be good fun proving that it is possible to get an Imp engine to last 6 hours. Whilst the Clan fits the age requirements and is generally classed as a coupe no way could you call it a four seater. Interstingly the Clan does comply with the requirements as suggested in the original post as I'm helping someone run one quite successfully in the French Maxi 1000 Series.

Hopefully you could consider Clan as being eligible and I can get started on preparing a detuned 998 to go in my original race Clan which did a stirling 19 years in the 750 MC Roadgoing Sporttcar Series.

Pete Richards
That'd be interesting, Peter.....when someone posted a (first thoughts) list of "eligible cars" I saw Hillman Avenger, but no Imp, and thought "why not?"....then thought "6 hours might be the reason......". But if we could run one (three, actually) on Le Jog, where particularly on the night run through Wales, and the overnight run through the highlands you are on the go for well over 6 hours, I guess it should be possible......

So if the Clan isn't eligible, should we look at using an Imp? I'll leave the engine building to you
Old 20 Aug 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2747786)   #138
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
You make a good point; there are a number of smaller GTs which are 2 seater only, usually due to the smaller engines not being powerful enough back in the day to lug four adults around. It seems a shame to exclude a whole genre of classic 60s and 70s cars. How about something simple like "...GTs over 1500cc must have 4 seats" or "GTs under 1500cc need only be 2 seaters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post
Been reading this with interest and was beginning to think it would be something to do in one of my racing Clans. I would appear to be one of the typical clubman competitors the event is aimed at. It would also be good fun proving that it is possible to get an Imp engine to last 6 hours. Whilst the Clan fits the age requirements and is generally classed as a coupe no way could you call it a four seater. Interstingly the Clan does comply with the requirements as suggested in the original post as I'm helping someone run one quite successfully in the French Maxi 1000 Series.

Hopefully you could consider Clan as being eligible and I can get started on preparing a detuned 998 to go in my original race Clan which did a stirling 19 years in the 750 MC Roadgoing Sporttcar Series.

Pete Richards
Old 20 Aug 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2747790)   #139
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
You make a good point; there are a number of smaller GTs which are 2 seater only, usually due to the smaller engines not being powerful enough back in the day to lug four adults around. It seems a shame to exclude a whole genre of classic 60s and 70s cars. How about something simple like "...GTs over 1500cc must have 4 seats" or "GTs under 1500cc need only be 2 seaters"
Interesting point and one to consider.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2747793)   #140
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
That'd be interesting, Peter.....when someone posted a (first thoughts) list of "eligible cars" I saw Hillman Avenger, but no Imp, and thought "why not?"....then thought "6 hours might be the reason......". But if we could run one (three, actually) on Le Jog, where particularly on the night run through Wales, and the overnight run through the highlands you are on the go for well over 6 hours, I guess it should be possible......

So if the Clan isn't eligible, should we look at using an Imp? I'll leave the engine building to you
Thats a good alternative Richard. I'll carry on with the engine but hopefully the Clan will be allowed.

Pete Richards
Old 21 Aug 2010, 08:48 (Ref:2747907)   #141
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
See, I think....if its called a GT by the manufacturer, then it is a GT, regardless of if it had two seats or four......
Old 21 Aug 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2747956)   #142
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
See, I think....if its called a GT by the manufacturer, then it is a GT, regardless of if it had two seats or four......
Aha, now that's very logical and sensible, and encouraging to me too :-)
Old 21 Aug 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2747958)   #143
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
years of eligibility

a thought struck me this morning, logic in keeping the late cutoff at 1986. If Blair had not revoked the rolling 25-year Historic vehicle rule, then by next year's 360 race 1986 would be the cutoff point for Historic cars :-)
Old 21 Aug 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2748056)   #144
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Claire said,if its called a GT by the manufacturer,and enough were built on a production line,then I personally see no reason for it not to enter.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 20:54 (Ref:2748112)   #145
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might only be my view, but I think if you raise the cut off year from 1986 there will be a few uncatchable M3's entered. I guess if the Jag that won is allowed in next year, then the 3.5 limit has gone.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2748115)   #146
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was in the invitation class and could be again.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2748118)   #147
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was in the invitation class and could be again. I would say you are right about the M3s
Old 22 Aug 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2748167)   #148
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
It was in the invitation class and could be again. I would say you are right about the M3s
He was indeed in invitation

Lots being debated about the regs for next years event, we hope to have them ironed out very soon

What we may do, if we do make the cut off date later and depending on entry levels with the M3 is to give them a class of their own,
Old 22 Aug 2010, 05:01 (Ref:2748216)   #149
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Picking up on 2CV 24hrs, good move to check it out Claire- it certainly has a reputation for atmosphere! (Although if they get the heavy rain, thunder and lightning I am watching and hearing at the moment that will dampen it a bit!)

360 Classes- could there be a split at 2 litres next time, then 2001cc to 3500cc? Then Invitation for anything over and other non-conformists. (All them Hot-rods and F2 engined cars ) And Invitation should mean that- you are here by Invitation, and we reserve the right to not invite you?

Not sure if there would be an influx of E30 M3s- It has been suggested to me that pukka engines and other unique running gear are very costly? And if the 360 is a 'clubbie' event with less emphasis on overall victory would so called 'big teams' want to enter?
Old 22 Aug 2010, 05:17 (Ref:2748220)   #150
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Picking up on 2CV 24hrs, good move to check it out Claire- it certainly has a reputation for atmosphere! (Although if they get the heavy rain, thunder and lightning I am watching and hearing at the moment that will dampen it a bit!)

360 Classes- could there be a split at 2 litres next time, then 2001cc to 3500cc? Then Invitation for anything over and other non-conformists. (All them Hot-rods and F2 engined cars ) And Invitation should mean that- you are here by Invitation, and we reserve the right to not invite you?

Not sure if there would be an influx of E30 M3s- It has been suggested to me that pukka engines and other unique running gear are very costly? And if the 360 is a 'clubbie' event with less emphasis on overall victory would so called 'big teams' want to enter?
Yes we've had thunder and lightning and it has JUST slowed from an absolute drenching downpour
Just want to once again confirm something, we believe that if a car is called a GT by the manufacturer then its a GT, if its not called a GT by them, then it is not. If anyone can give me a valid exception to this (and I mean that would stand up in a court of law) can they let me know?
Closed Thread