Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2958803)   #126
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You really, really can't tell from the telly! It was much worse than my experience of Knockhill, not been to Thruxton, but I can't imagine it is as bad.

A huge part of the Craner Curves spectator banking was closed, as was the entire infield, including the disabled parking.

The whole place was a mess, lots of stuff that could have been improved with just a bit of time and effort IMO.

Does anyone know how the infield works at the Craners is getting on?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2958818)   #127
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm just grateful that Donington is still a functioning venue again. It could have gone the way of the bulldozers. Yes, the track needs work after the disgusting state it was left in by the previous management, but im just glad the track lives on.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2958829)   #128
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
You really, really can't tell from the telly! It was much worse than my experience of Knockhill, not been to Thruxton, but I can't imagine it is as bad.

A huge part of the Craner Curves spectator banking was closed, as was the entire infield, including the disabled parking.

The whole place was a mess, lots of stuff that could have been improved with just a bit of time and effort IMO.

Does anyone know how the infield works at the Craners is getting on?
Craner Curves? I was there and it was open, thats the section infront of the old VIP building. I think you mean further round, from the Old Hairpin round to the Dunlop Straight, that has been out of action the past two years. Donington have said they wanted to get the place open and visited again before being in a position to improve it. The last part of work done was to make the Redgate area safer for bikes, with a raised viewing area, new fencing, better access for the Snatch crews and thw walls moving back etc, which was done at the start of this year.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2958967)   #129
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
An Insignia perhaps?
Hope not... it's an awful looking road car !

I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the new Civics. The Jordan's have had close ties with Dynamics before and it would make business sense for Dynamics to produce and sell the Civics as well as running a works outfit.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2959055)   #130
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they get the investment, RML would build a full NGTC Cruze for next year. If they don't, its likely to be NGTC engines in S2000 shells.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=6762
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2959083)   #131
Alfa Fan
Veteran

I'd say given the Swedish touring car situation, Chevrolet will be building an NGTC Cruze. Its starting to look like there might not be many S2000 cars left next season.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2959089)   #132
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington is in a good state to hold BTCC Alfa Fan, im sorry but you are far from right if you think its not acceptable for BTCC.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2959240)   #133
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington is a mess. The fact that most the spectator banking at the Old Hairpin is hugely annoying, I used to always go there to watch (one of the best vantage points, if not the best) the action. The fact that there's no permanent toilet facilities on the infield (just port-a-loos) and also that Donington seems to struggle to manage the amount of traffic BTCC generates is evidence enough that it needs a lot of money and a lot of work doing to it. Great track but lousy facility as a whole.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2959449)   #134
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Possible U-turn in a matter of a few days ? According to today's Autosport, 888 are considering quitting the BTCC at the end of this year !
Old 22 Sep 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2959479)   #135
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Think about it, would they really have released that statement on Tuesday night, after Autosport's print deadline, if they were quitting. Autosport must be feeling a bit stupid now!

"This evening (Tuesday) the Banbury-based team announced it will build full-spec NGTC cars for 2012, albeit without naming any potential make or model."

So for all intents and purposes the Autosport story can be ignored. It was just them trying to make a story out of not a lot, and with the announcement that followed.....well it horribly backfired!!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2959491)   #136
davyboy
Veteran

Well there's a fair few quotes in there from Ian Harrison casting doubt over their ongoing participation after the end of this season... and indicating that they're interested in looking at International GTs next year. Maybe the Autosport story has backfired, but then Ian Harrison looks a little silly saying something like that to Autosport and something completely different to TCT on the same day ! One thing all of Harrison's quotes have in common is that they are bereft of hard detail.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2959514)   #137
Alfa Fan
Veteran

"I'm not sure we'll be doing touring cars next year"

"It's in a state of flux at the moment so we will have to look at our options"

Ian Harrison, speaking to Autosport, at the latest Tuesday afternoon, but more likely at Rockingham at the weekend.....

Fast-forward to Tuesday evening:

This evening the Banbury-based team announced it will build full-spec NGTC cars for 2012, albeit without naming any potential make or model.

“Its fairly obvious now that the NGTC regulations are the future of the BTCC,” explained Triple Eight Chairman Harrison. “It’s quite clear, too, that the future has already arrived, perhaps a bit sooner than we expected.

“While our complete plans have yet to be finalised, we’re announcing the switch from S2000 to NGTC now as a clear sign of our support of the BTCC going forward and where we have competed successfully since 1997.

"The NGTC cars look the part and will undoubtedly become more reliable and cost-effective over time, giving the BTCC a solid technical platform from which to grow the on-track aspect of the series."

I don't see how it could be much clearer really.

Last edited by Alfa Fan; 22 Sep 2011 at 11:57.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2959534)   #138
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
"I'm not sure we'll be doing touring cars next year"

"It's in a state of flux at the moment so we will have to look at our options"

Ian Harrison, speaking to Autosport, at the latest Tuesday afternoon, but more likely at Rockingham at the weekend.....

Fast-forward to Tuesday evening:

This evening the Banbury-based team announced it will build full-spec NGTC cars for 2012, albeit without naming any potential make or model.

“Its fairly obvious now that the NGTC regulations are the future of the BTCC,” explained Triple Eight Chairman Harrison. “It’s quite clear, too, that the future has already arrived, perhaps a bit sooner than we expected.

“While our complete plans have yet to be finalised, we’re announcing the switch from S2000 to NGTC now as a clear sign of our support of the BTCC going forward and where we have competed successfully since 1997.

"The NGTC cars look the part and will undoubtedly become more reliable and cost-effective over time, giving the BTCC a solid technical platform from which to grow the on-track aspect of the series."

I don't see how it could be much clearer really.
You forgot this one :

"We're looking at a number of avenues, especially international GTs. We've been doing BTCC a long time but that doesn't mean we'll stay"

I guess if saying one thing on Tuesday afternoon and another thing on Tuesday evening - all without firm details - couldn't be much clearer for you, I should have gone to Specsavers !
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2959535)   #139
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it was an off the cuff remark by Harrison that was made into the story by Autosport, Triple 8 got wind of it and put out the statement Tuesday to quash any rumours. Just like STR did the other week. Maybe they haven't got anything solid for next year yet or at a crucial stage of negotiating and feel that rumours of them quitting would put off or confuse potential backers.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2959543)   #140
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's poor journalism by Autosport again. Just like the STR story the other week.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2959553)   #141
Alfa Fan
Veteran

It's deliberately poor journalism really.. it makes it more of a story for them, then next week or the week after they can run another story saying 888 have "now decided to stay in the BTCC"
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2959559)   #142
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had to laugh last week when they printed the story about STR reaffirming their commitment to the BTCC. It said something along the lines of "some reports last week said they would leave the BTCC". Yes that's right, your report!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 21:53 (Ref:2959753)   #143
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is that similar to the Honda/Dynamics/WTCC/BTCC story? Now it's certain Dynamics will forget about the WTCC as other teams have expressed an interest in the new NGTC Civic.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2959756)   #144
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Is that similar to the Honda/Dynamics/WTCC/BTCC story? Now it's certain Dynamics will forget about the WTCC as other teams have expressed an interest in the new NGTC Civic.
Isn't your saying that it's certain adopting the same supposedly poor principles of those that you are criticising?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2959785)   #145
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not saying it's certain (or certain-ish). That's the way Autosport made todays Honda story sound.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2959856)   #146
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I hope next year we can get a 30+ car grid. Things look promising, however I have followed touring cars since the Birmingham Superprix's of the 1980s, and am aware of the number of fallen through team deals etc. I hope 888, RML and Arena stay, I think there are question marks over all 3 teams.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2960393)   #147
medius
Veteran

England
Regarding Triple 8, they are selling a LOT of their Vauxhall items on eBay, including scale models, race suits, suggesting that they won't be involved with Vauxhall anytime soon. That hints to be that they won't have an NGTC Insignia on the grid next year.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BTCC-2000-...item3f0e4c8b6e
Old 24 Sep 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2960403)   #148
Alfa Fan
Veteran

I didn't think it was likely Vauxhall would return when they specifically took off all the Vauxhall branding, including the griffin badges on the cars!!
Old 27 Sep 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2961912)   #149
sharpy
Racer

United Kingdom
Newcastle
sharpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing to say that triple 8 won't build an Insignia to the NGTC rules. They might decide to still use a Vauxhall model, but then again they are free to choose any make and model they wish.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2962147)   #150
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Would love to see a few BMW NGTC cars.