Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Oct 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2971387)   #126
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Many thanks for the information and your car is lovely.

Reminds me of my Costello V8.

My factory BGT V8 had a simple modification to it's suspension that transformed the handling.

The original set-up with it's very stiff rear suspension in order to stop axle tramp made roll oversteer on the limit scary and quite a few owners wrote their cars off when they were caught out at higher speeds.

Just after I took delivery of mine in August 1973, I soon found this nasty trait but at a relatively low speed, thank heavens...

Beers of Houghton removed a single leaf from the rear springs and fitted MGB 1.8 coil springs at the front.

The car was then neutral in corners and being slightly lower improved the handling as well. The car did not axle tramp on take-off either. The ride was softer too...

British Leyland were over cautious as far as axle tramp was concerned with their too stiff rear set-up.

I could take the V8 into European motorway curves at speeds well in excess of 120 - 125mph and feel totally secure after the conversion...

Oh happy memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishV8 View Post
No! MG could very easily have installed telescoping shocks at either end with minimal design work and with virtually no tooling costs. (Apparently they just didn't see a need to. If someone wants to nit-pick the MGB suspension they'd be far more correct to focus the kingpins, or that it's relatively inconvenient to adjust/modify castor and camber. Lever shocks simply are NOT a big deficiency!) For the rest of us, aftermarket conversion kits for MGB have been available since prehistoric times. IMHO, the most elegant way to convert to telescoping front shocks is simply to gut and mill-out the bottoms of the lever shock and bring the telescoping shock right up through them like so:

More detailed photos of this approach are shown here: http://www.britishv8.org/MG/HenkJanVonk.htm
Old 3 Nov 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2981116)   #127
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,

I have just received this Press Release:

PRESS RELEASE - 3 November 2011 - For Immediate Release

HRDC MGB50 SERIES LAUNCHED AT GOODWOOD

The much talked-about HRDC MGB50 Series got underway at Goodwood on 1 November, with an auspicious reunion between four original works MGB competition cars and some of the luminary figures who were instrumental in the success of these fabulous racers.

Long-term MGB stalwart Barry Sidery-Smith and Julius Thurgood, founder and race director of the HRDC, hosted this special gathering at Goodwood, with the support of long-term HRDC sponsor CCK Historic. Guests included: works driver Alec Poole, BMC Competition Department guru Bill Price, BMC Competition Department Manager Peter Browning, BMC 'Comps Shop' Manager Basil Wales, BMC 'Comps Shop' mechanics Den Green and Brian Moylan, MG guru Malcolm Beer, veteran MGB racer Paul Campfield and MG historian John Baggott.

The Works MGB cars were not just on static display, but were put through their paces on the Goodwood circuit by Barry Sidery-Smith, Tony Dron and Paul Campfield, to the amazement of the many MG aficionados present, who all agreed that this was probably the first time that the four works cars had ever run together!

WORKS MGB COMPETITION CARS AT GOODWOOD:

DRX255C - Le Mans car - Owner: Barry Sidery-Smith

GRX307D - 'Old Faithful' Marathon de la Route car - Owner: Malcolm Beer

BRX854B - Spa-Sophia-Liege rally car - Owner: Paul Campfield

1964 #47 - Sebring car - Owner: Anthony Binnington

The HRDC MGB50 Series will consist of six rounds, each a 30-minute, single-driver race for pre-'66, FIA-specification MGB race cars, with an invitation class for historically important MGBs which do not comply to FIA Appendix 'K'.

The first round of the series takes place at Castle Combe on 9 April 2012.

Further details and driver registrations can be obtained from either website:

www.hrdc.eu

www.mgb50.eu

Media & competition enquiries to:

JULIUS THURGOOD

Email: direct@juliusthurgood.co.uk

Mobile: 07850 361159

Landline: 01926 885835

Press release distributed by CDWrite on behalf of the Historic Racing Drivers Club.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2981152)   #128
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic B owners will be spoilt for choice next year. As well as the HRDC series the MGCC will be running a series for GTS spec cars and the AMOC appear to have bought Equipe GTS.
Julius is only allowing 1840cc cars which will limit him a bit and I can't see the AMOC making much of the Equipe GTS series, they managed to make a big mess of their own racing in recent years!
Old 3 Nov 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2981166)   #129
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
MGBs

<John McEnroe moment>
fascinating how the object of disdain, scorn and occasionally contempt over the years from some quarters have suddenly become "..fabulous racers"
Old 3 Nov 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2981232)   #130
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
gloss paint on a winters morning . . . .

just watch the clamour for an invite
Old 3 Nov 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2981236)   #131
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
r. As well as the HRDC series the MGCC will be running a series for GTS spec !
what's GTS spec cars?

Seeing as the BCV8 Championship was a mainstay of the MG Car Club for many years, it seems strange that BCV8 isn't part of the celebrations. The championship has contributed greatly to the B's competition history but it seems to be cut out. Shame.

We did have a lot of good times with BCV8 when Barry was in charge, the cars were never in a "historic" spec, just affordable, fun sports cars. Well, fun for a barge The series was a good advert for MGCC, and always warmly received.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2981286)   #132
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
I really enjoyed the BCV8 races in the 80's. Great times agreed ...
Old 3 Nov 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2981287)   #133
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Equipe GTS spec. A highly successful series created by Jim Lowry. Has fallen away a bit since he stood down and has now been bought by AMOC, hence the two series by HRDC and the MGCC. I would think most folk will go with the MGCC one. I certainly will.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 04:57 (Ref:2981337)   #134
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The most popular class in the BCV8 championship was Class B road modified with 1950cc engines and glass fibre panels or the roadgoing V8. They certainly provided value for money racing. The championship also opened a class for FIA cars but it is/was relatively under subscribed.

Anyway, as I understand it the MGCC has 3(?) dates planned so there will be opportunities to race in both series.

Depending on timing, as ever, I hope to enter some of these races.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 06:08 (Ref:2981345)   #135
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
what's GTS spec cars?

Seeing as the BCV8 Championship was a mainstay of the MG Car Club for many years, it seems strange that BCV8 isn't part of the celebrations. The championship has contributed greatly to the B's competition history but it seems to be cut out. Shame.

We did have a lot of good times with BCV8 when Barry was in charge, the cars were never in a "historic" spec, just affordable, fun sports cars. Well, fun for a barge The series was a good advert for MGCC, and always warmly received.
I 'cut my teeth' in Historics in BCV8 /MGCC. The key words I think are "When Barry was in charge". Unfortunately the MGCC is suffering from the inside these days.
Actually,it was Barry's fault that I ever got involved in Historic's!
A lot of problem drivers,mainly in road going V8s, caused a lot of FIA B owners to go elsewhere,me included.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 06:14 (Ref:2981346)   #136
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
what's GTS spec cars?

I 'cut my teeth' in Historics in BCV8 /MGCC. The key words I think are "When Barry was in charge". Unfortunately the MGCC is suffering from the inside these days.
Actually,it was Barry's fault that I ever got involved in Historic's!
It was mainly down to BCV8 that the 1950 came about!They should never have listened to the handful of drivers who kept campaigning for the big bore engines.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2981352)   #137
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
what's GTS spec cars?
If you mean what is the technical specification of Equipe GTS cars, when under Jim's leadership at least the main difference between them and AppK was tyres- Avon ZZs rather than Dunlops, although cars under 800kg (TVR, Elva etc) had to use the latter. Oversize engines were also allowed, as well as alternators on any car that didn't have one in period. What Jim did insist on was high standard of preparation and period looks- I remember one competitor getting admonished for painting his mirrors in dayglo paint for easy recognition. They were back to black for the next meeting! A scruffy or dirty car would also be rectified or not invited back... Like FIA, hardtops and front apron had to be correct type, and wheels correct for period.

As to the 'falling away' of the series, perhaps the tyre type and allowance of larger engine capacities eventually made it difficult for those wishing to do AppK stuff as well, so they settled on the latter?
Old 4 Nov 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2981381)   #138
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
As regards Equipe GTS, the issue was that it was being run rather poorly from France over the past two season. At least three events were lost this year, there was a lack of news, regs were last minute etc etc. The races at Silverstone and Donington were well supported nevertheless.
With the right organisation it will flourish.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2981407)   #139
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>They should never have listened to the handful of drivers who kept campaigning for the big bore engines.

Umm, we may have had one of those...knowing us, probably in the standard class car rather than the RGM!
Old 4 Nov 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2981660)   #140
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
It would be good if they had an invitation class for MGCs - the right shape, a different sound, and I doubt they'll be celebrating their 50th anniversary in 2017; there won't be enough of them for a start and they never did get a good press. A couple of Sebrings on the grid would enhance the visual appeal!
and some know why...the press cars were badly set up and therefore not at their best....and what about all that weight over the front end!! I find it amusing how these urban myths continue to have a life....

I have had a few opportunities to drive a C for over hundereds of miles at a time and it is a great touring car...very capable into and out of the corners...

(my two penneth)
Old 4 Nov 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2981662)   #141
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't mention the war!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
So isn't a post 66 MGB allowed to join in what I'm sure will be an excellent race series?
Do not use the terms rubber nose and MGB in the same sentance when talking to the pre-66ers
Old 6 Nov 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2982146)   #142
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
As regards Equipe GTS, the issue was that it was being run rather poorly from France over the past two season. At least three events were lost this year, there was a lack of news, regs were last minute etc etc. The races at Silverstone and Donington were well supported nevertheless.
With the right organisation it will flourish.

I thought most of the problems "in France" were due to Christophe not being too well?

Nothing wrong at all with a properly driven 'C',even without being race prepped. Despite all that had been said by the journo's of the time,if they were better drivers,there would have been a lot better press!