Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 Jan 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3191474)   #126
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
"ostberg finally found some pace"

HAve you been watching the same WRC as anyone else for a year!!
I meant at this event, not his general performance!

Quote:
For me Loeb could win this series even if he doesnt do all the rounds, he is so utterly dominant in WRC, I would laugh if he did, makes the whole series look a mockery!

I dont like it, but he could do it
He is only doing four rounds isn't he? So even with four wins I'm sure one of the other drivers could rack up enough points to beat him. I know what you mean though, add a couple more events to this years plan and I reckon he'd be in with a shout!

I think it'll be interesting to see how Loeb/Ogier compare later in the year when Ogier has more seat time in the Polo R, for a so called cautious start, he is still looking pretty quick!
Old 19 Jan 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3191535)   #127
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hearing last two stages cancelled, not sure why. Loeb wins from Ogier if true.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3191553)   #128
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Heavy Rain on stages lead fans to leave, causing to much congestion.

Results: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105198
Old 19 Jan 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3191555)   #129
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post

Heavy Rain on stages lead fans to leave, causing to much congestion.

Results: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105198
The official site just says cancelled due to safety concerns over huge numbers of spectators.

I suppose in general if they were in the stage or on the roads around it could compromise safety, but its always a shame to see the rally end like that.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3191600)   #130
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
aside from the peak of the col de turini, there's not really many roads around the stages up there apart from the stage routes themselves, so they have to rely on people staying put all day otherwise there's going to be a problem. from la bollene vesubie downwards it's much better but for much of the route there's nothing else around.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3191706)   #131
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For anyone struggling with coverage, this channel on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WRCforeva?feature=watch

Has all the Speed highlight programmes on it.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3192098)   #132
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plusses for me here, the speed of Hanninen and obviously the Polo, Novikov being up there too. And the speed of Boullier, but its France!

Bad points, Ostberg being so poor, no Mini's and Hirvonen, just cant get on terms! And no Tanak, shame.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3192638)   #133
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
It was certainly a clear win for Loeb, but I'm encouraged on the signs for the rest of the championship this year. Shame to see Novikov throw his third place away, as it was a great effort up until that point. Good to see Ostberg managed to finish in the top 6 but, like you say Chunder, it really wasn't his best showing.

Fantastic start to the year for VW, perhaps a little early to say for sure, but they are looking that little bit stronger for the 2013 title now. Must be a real kick in the teeth for MINI though.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3192643)   #134
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They must have sold a lot of Minis! Quite a few appear regionally, but to only have one in the Monte or so it seemed, no Nobre, no Atkinson, no Sandell, no Araujo, weird.

Would have thought a few of the GpN cars might have moved up, maybe economy is hitting hard.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3192659)   #135
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
They must have sold a lot of Minis! Quite a few appear regionally, but to only have one in the Monte or so it seemed, no Nobre, no Atkinson, no Sandell, no Araujo, weird.
As you say, the cars are out there, just not in the WRC. I understood that Prodrive would be running their own team (as well as developing the cars) in 2013, but that doesn't seem to have happened: perhaps that idea was abandoned with the departure of Sordo?

Quote:
Would have thought a few of the GpN cars might have moved up, maybe economy is hitting hard.
Possibly, or perhaps some drivers are waiting to see where the R5 class goes? (I think the economy is a more likely cause though)
Old 22 Jan 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3192866)   #136
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
For anyone struggling with coverage, this channel on You Tube:

Has all the Speed highlight programmes on it.
I'd say the TV show has improved dramatically since I last saw it. More outside shots of cars as well as having a strangely more documentary feel to it. (Especially with the slow motion footage.)
Old 30 Jan 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3196123)   #137
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be interesting to see who will win Rally Sweden.

Since the introduction of the 1.6L WRC cars only three the same guys have been on the podium in Sweden: Hirvonen, Latvala and Ostberg. Also Ford won both 2011 and 2012 editions.

In 2011 all three guys still drove for Ford, now they all drive for a different manufacturer. But I guess they still are the three main drivers who can fight for the win at Sweden.

Ostberg has been 2nd and 3rd in the last two years. But that was with a customer spec Ford Fiesta. Now he has a factory spec and supported Fiesta.

Hirvonen won with Ford (2011) and came 2nd last year in the Citroën. The main difference with last year is that he now has got experience with the Citroën DS3 and team.

Last year Latvala won with Ford. Now he is with VW. In Monte the Polo was quite good in snow (on asphalt). I guess we have to wait and see how strong the Polo is in Sweden and how the combination Latvala-Polo is.

Besides these three drivers we have also Ogier, Loeb, Novikov who can fight for the podium or the win.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 03:17 (Ref:3196877)   #138
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ogier isn't Nordic, so I'll scratch him for this year
Old 1 Feb 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3197261)   #139
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure the comparisons between VW performance on snow in the Monte and Sweden are going to tell you much. They'll be running a very different set up and, of course, proper studded tyres this time. At the Monte setup is always a compromise.

We won't really know how much of a challenger VW are going to be until they get onto the gravel rounds but the signs are obviously good so far.

Any idea what price bookmakers woud give you for Latvala to win the championship? Might not be the worst bet ever made...
Old 1 Feb 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3197288)   #140
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, all the media coverage around VW always focus on Ogier. I wonder if having less pressure on Latvala and almost being the underdog in the team may help. He's hitting the age where experience should be starting to kick in and add to his speed and talent.

On another note I always try to be optimistic wherever I can, but flicking through a copy of the latest Autosport the suggestion is that there will be no UK TV coverage of Rally Sweden. Deal not yet done, all it says is that they are talking to a broadcaster but Sweden is looming and it looks like it won't be done before then.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3198107)   #141
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Any idea what price bookmakers woud give you for Latvala to win the championship? Might not be the worst bet ever made...
I'm not sure I'd back Latvala until he proves he can finish consistently rather than throw it into the scenery
Old 2 Feb 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3198131)   #142
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think VW should have nominated Ogier as their No1 driver, and let Latvala settle into the team, getting consistent results.
VW aren't relying on him for finance like M-Sport were, and are not likely to be as forgiving as Malcolm was.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3202873)   #143
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Sweden been and gone - not a single post.....

Well done to Ogier & VW....the combination to beat I think this year.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3202880)   #144
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Based on the pre-season hype it looked like this was going to be the combination to beat and, thus far, the results seem to support this.

Hoping that Ostberg and Novikov can raise their game so we don't have another Sebastian dominating the Championship!
Old 11 Feb 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3202891)   #145
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Rally Sweden been and gone - not a single post.....

I did post a link to the Speed youtube 'cos I couldn't see one anywhere else....then found this thread today

But I agree, well done Ogier
Old 11 Feb 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3202893)   #146
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the lack of posts is down to the lack of coverage. I haven't watched the You Tube footage yet, but will hopefully manage it this week.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3202894)   #147
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I suppose the lack of posts is down to the lack of coverage. I haven't watched the You Tube footage yet, but will hopefully manage it this week.
It's not great is it? Hopefully I'll get a chance this week to catch up.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3202926)   #148
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
The Speed programmes are up on the same You Tube channel as last time:

Old 11 Feb 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3202936)   #149
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to be reminded by someone the rally was taking place. It's one of my favourites but somehow it completely escaped me. I can't find full daily highlights clips either on youtube.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3204673)   #150
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
The Speed programmes are up on the same You Tube channel as last time:

That was a pretty good rally I thought, it's been a while since we've seen Loeb being forced to claw back time and this time the outcome wasn't so certain. It would have been interesting to see how the battle between him and Ogier would have ebbed and flowed had he not lost as much time as he did on the first day.

The battle between Ostberg (keeping his head after his engine issues and clawing back time) and Latvala (not feeling quite comfortable in the car as Ogier) was interesting but the driver who stood out for me was Yazeed in the S2000/WRC2 focus.

Is it me or has the TV production gone up a notch this year? This may well be down to the local production TV people of course, the lovely scenery also helps!